• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Peagles

Still waiting for mine from GAME in the UK... Not that I'll be able to play it for a long time, I just don't have time to invest right now, but I just want to hold it in my hands!

Go_Ly_Dow

Need some advice Wii-GAF!

Just got my component cable hooked up and it looks great on my HDTV.

In the Wii settings what's the best settings to choose, from:

-50Hz (576i)
-60Hz (480i)
-EDTV / HDTV (480p)

I assumed it would be the bottom option for my TV since its HD, but I just want to make sure.

Does anyone know when the 4 sidequests at a place mentioned early that you get to visit afterwards [MIDGAME AND BEYOND SPOILER] (
Sword Valley
) become impossible to complete?
Is it the end of the next dungeon (
Galahad Fortress
) or still a bit further? The Japanese wiki says the latest but Kouli said the former in is flowchart.

Luigiv

M_Night said:
Woop, thanks.

Was waiting for a response before I booted up the GAME.
Shouldn't it have been obvious just from the fact that the 480p option is exclusive to component cables?

But anyway a brief explanation so you know what you're getting.

i = Interlaced: Each frame gets drawn in 2 fields, each field drawing only half the total number of rows in a pinstriped fanshion. So first field is [Row1;Skip;Row3;Skip;...] whilst the second field is [Skip;Row2;Skip;Row4;...]. As such, interlaced mode leads to additional flicker and in 50/60fps games you effectively get half the resolution as the the TV only refreshes at 50/60hz in the first place.

p = Progressive scan: Draws ever frame whole. Less flicker, and since you get a full frame with ever Hz you get proper 60fps support.

480/60hz: Output resolution is 640x480 and the refresh rate is 60Hz. Similar to an NTSC set though with slightly different colours.

576/50Hz: This is the old PAL standard. You only get 50 fields a second but in exchange the resolution is bumped up to 720x576. While this may sound like a fair trade on paper, unfortunately since most video games are not made with the PAL teritories in mind, they usually abysmally done PAL conversions. Instead of retooling the game to run at full resolution with omitted frames to retain speed most PAL conversions have black boxes filling the extra pixels and all the original frames intact (making the game run about 17% slower).

So yeah. That's why 480p is your best option.

I'm tempted to tell my wife to take a train back home from Stafford to Sheffield so I don't have to pick her up after work and play more Xenoblade. xD

Reknoc

jediyoshi said:
b2aUS.jpg

It's Hero Time!

donkey show said:
I'm tempted to tell my wife to take a train back home from Stafford to Sheffield so I don't have to pick her up after work and play more Xenoblade. xD

Do it just dont tell her that why, its been a long time a rpg made me feel this way want to keep going

Really enjoying the game now. I'm about 12hrs in on lvl 22 and just hitting
Colony 6
. The game really looks gorgeous, especially on first entrance onto Bionis Leg. Stunning site. Reminded me a lot of Pulse in FFXIII. This area is absolutely huge!!

Two things that do irk me about the game though are the camera and not letting me know if the item I picked up is a new item. Save me checking the collectables screen most times if I'm unfamiliar with a item name.

But I'm still missing one item on the Bionis Leg. It's the 4th one along 'Strange' item. I've pretty much searched the whole grounds and still haven't come across it. Any ideas where I can find this?

Labadal

Finally got the game and put in 40 minutes for now. Looks great in Dolphin. The battle system seems good enough. Need more time plus a full part etc to judge it.
Voice acting is ok, music is great, but I already knew that.

It's a positive start and I think it will only get better from here.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
26thletter said:
Just got the email that my copy shipped from 365! Between this and 3sOE, I'm set for the rest of the year.

Same here!! I'm excited!!

Can anyone tell me typically how long their shipments take to arrive? I've never used them before and they didn't supply a tracking number... :/

Micerider

Picked-up a copy yesterday and played it after work.

First thing first : I'm quite amazed that they left the Japanese voice-over on the disk. I really enjoy playing games in their original language. Subtitles are big enough to make the read-through "pleasant" without losing to much of tha action.

Second surprise : the game looks rather good for a Wii game. The world is wide, richly textured, with free camera and a splendid art-design. I wish Monolith would get their hands on a more powerful hardware here to make it shine.

The combat system is pleasing so far. The real-time aspect coupled with positioning makes it more tactical than expected. It almost feel like a Stat-heavy Monster Hunter.

Might actually be one of the scarce J-RPG worth playing this gen, putting Square-Enix to shame for sure.

wsippel

Banned
Micerider said:
Picked-up a copy yesterday and played it after work.

First thing first : I'm quite amazed that they left the Japanese voice-over on the disk. I really enjoy playing games in their original language. Subtitles are big enough to make the read-through "pleasant" without losing to much of tha action.

Second surprise : the game looks rather good for a Wii game. The world is wide, richly textured, with free camera and a splendid art-design. I wish Monolith would get their hands on a more powerful hardware here to make it shine.

The combat system is pleasing so far. The real-time aspect coupled with positioning makes it more tactical than expected. It almost feel like a Stat-heavy Monster Hunter.

Might actually be one of the scarce J-RPG worth playing this gen, putting Square-Enix to shame for sure.
They are currently working on a Wii U title. Supposedly something very ambitious.

wsippel

Banned
mclem said:
The amusing thing about this is that it implies that Xenoblade *wasn't* ambitious.
Well, they seem to consider their new game more ambitious even on much more powerful hardware, especially from a technical/ programming standpoint. Can't wait to see what they're working on.

weeaboo

Well, we talked a lot about the scale of the enviroments but holy shit at the scale of some enemies, It's getting ridiculous.

After 6 hours of gameplay I've reached the next big area.

The knee of Bionis.

What a beautiful place.

Stupid Juju, but Sharla is Waifu material. Now I'm looking for the brat, who has left the camp.

I'm in level 19.

M_Night said:
Need some advice Wii-GAF!

Just got my component cable hooked up and it looks great on my HDTV.

In the Wii settings what's the best settings to choose, from:

-50Hz (576i)
-60Hz (480i)
-EDTV / HDTV (480p)

I assumed it would be the bottom option for my TV since its HD, but I just want to make sure.

If you have a sharpness option of your tv, turn that shit down.

RPGCrazied said:
Nope. Not last night anyway. It's only 7am right now. Long time before mail comes. :(

Did you??

you can't sleep waiting for your copy?

I don't understand why regular mail still hasn't a tracking system, it's so annoying

Zafir

Europe doesn't get Deux Ex till Friday, partial payback for Xenoblade. Hah!

My copy shipped today though, so maybe tomorrow. Doesn't matter eitherway, I'm still no where near finishing Xenoblade.

Edit:
The Imperial City
is pretty impressive as well. Wasn't expecting another city so close to
Frontier Village

WrikaWrek

Banned
So what kind of rig do i need to run Xenoblade on Dolphin?

I have an old Q9450 (2.66), 4GB, and a 470.

Am i anywhere near? Or do i need an I7?

Ledsen

WrikaWrek said:
So what kind of rig do i need to run Xenoblade on Dolphin?

I have an old Q9450 (2.66), 4GB, and a 470.

Am i anywhere near? Or do i need an I7?
People are saying 3.5 Ghz+ for perfect emulation.

Zafir

Well, my 2.66GHz Quad Core plays it, but not amazingly. It hovers between 20-25. It's certainly playable, but the effect it has on the voices is rather annoying.

Rich!

Game is amazing! Got to the battle against the queen spider - and oh shit, I'm getting so confused with all the new monado moves...

Go_Ly_Dow

Luigiv said:
Shouldn't it have been obvious just from the fact that the 480p option is exclusive to component cables?

But anyway a brief explanation so you know what you're getting.

i = Interlaced: Each frame gets drawn in 2 fields, each field drawing only half the total number of rows in a pinstriped fanshion. So first field is [Row1;Skip;Row3;Skip;...] whilst the second field is [Skip;Row2;Skip;Row4;...]. As such, interlaced mode leads to additional flicker and in 50/60fps games you effectively get half the resolution as the the TV only refreshes at 50/60hz in the first place.

p = Progressive scan: Draws ever frame whole. Less flicker, and since you get a full frame with ever Hz you get proper 60fps support.

480/60hz: Output resolution is 640x480 and the refresh rate is 60Hz. Similar to an NTSC set though with slightly different colours.

576/50Hz: This is the old PAL standard. You only get 50 fields a second but in exchange the resolution is bumped up to 720x576. While this may sound like a fair trade on paper, unfortunately since most video games are not made with the PAL teritories in mind, they usually abysmally done PAL conversions. Instead of retooling the game to run at full resolution with omitted frames to retain speed most PAL conversions have black boxes filling the extra pixels and all the original frames intact (making the game run about 17% slower).

So yeah. That's why 480p is your best option.

Thanks for the explanation.

_Alkaline_ said:
If you have a sharpness option of your tv, turn that shit down.

RPGCrazied said:
This.

If you have an option called Edge Enhancement, turn that off too.

Turned Edge Enhancement off earlier. It kinda takes away the detail but everything looks so much smoother.

Will take the sharpness down as well.

I'm now playing the game 16:9 instead of 4:3 and it looks so good.

Gaur plains is insane @_@

Gvaz

Banned
Zafir said:
Well, my 2.66GHz Quad Core plays it, but not amazingly. It hovers between 20-25. It's certainly playable, but the effect it has on the voices is rather annoying.
Overclock that sucker to at the bare minimum 3.2 and there will be a huge improvement.

I play on 4x native with AA and AF and all those goodies enabled and rarely ever go below 30fps. Sometimes I get crackling all over the place but I just save and restart.

Then again I have this system:
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.7GHz (stock was 2.8), 8gb ddr2, and a stock ATI HD4890 1GB

Ledsen said:
It shows pictures of future party members?
Which is completely out of context? Oh no you get a pretty girl later, whoopdie do

CoolS

Gvaz said:
Which is completely out of context? Oh no you get a pretty girl later, whoopdie do

I still agree with him though. I don't wanna know if a character will join up with my party when I met him.

Gvaz said:

Honestly, if you encounter the character, there's a chance you might not normally think they would join your party, so in that sense, it kind of is a spoiler.

ramyeon

CoolS said:
I still agree with him though. I don't wanna know if a character will join up with my party when I met him.
I know how you feel but, well, the characters were in the launch trailer for the game.

And I need this now, I'm hoping it comes within this week or next Monday at the latest.

Ledsen

wsippel said:
She was on several official screenshots and artworks, though.
I may have seen those things a while ago but I don't remember them. Anyway I'd prefer it if characters you may not get until 15-20 hours in where kept behind spoiler brackets.

Top Bottom