• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

So I just reached the marshland area and my word does that area get a lovely visual overhaul at night, i'm really beginning to get drawn into this game.

Codeblue

Dunbar said:
People that ordered from ASDA, how long did you order stick at "Waiting for Stock Pick"? It's been 2 business days for me.

I think they're waiting for more copies to come in. The site said "usually dispatches in a month" or something like that last time I checked it.

JumpingTheGun said:
when did you guys order?
I ordered on July 5th from Zavvi. It was dispatched on August 15th, and I am still waiting for delivery to Alabama.

But I'm not worried about it. :) I got free shipping, and I've ordered enough stuff from over-seas to know when patience is required.

wrowa

Zukazu or Jiroque?! I can't decide, I can't decide D:
On the one hand I want him to fulfill his dream! On the other I'm afraid he dies; what to do, what to do D:

UltimateIke said:
I ordered on July 5th from Zavvi. It was dispatched on August 15th, and I am still waiting for delivery to Alabama.

But I'm not worried about it. :) I got free shipping, and I've ordered enough stuff from over-seas to know when patience is required.

Whats been the average waiting time for you? I expected to wait a week or so. I used good ol Royal Mail.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
popped the game in suddenly an hour an twenty minutes have flown by, wow the game dropped my jaw so much too explore either this game is going to be to immense for me or one of the best rides i will ever have on the wii, i still dont have a fucking clue what i am doing rpg noob but wow this game looks and plays so smoothly, looks great on my tv with the edtv cables...

game feels like a real time hack and slash with some strategy actions a heap of exploration thrown in for good measure..wow..maye a convert to some rpg's now this and OoT are an eye opener, it has clicked more with me than MH Tri...heard the game will take a long time to complete? how long roughly just to do main quests and no side ones? game feels like it will have a lot of depth to it.

actually just thinking the game reminds me of Kotor which is a great thing :)

will play some more later, shit backlog is all over the place :(

Zing

Banned
Feep said:
If this mode isn't enabled, the Wii takes it upon itself to do the letterboxing, and for some reason, the Wii is absolutely horrible at stretching the image this way.

It would seem to be due to less lines of effective resolution. When you have your Wii set to 16:9, it is still only using 480p lines of resolution (4:3), but the pixels are rectangular in shape. The image is then stretched horizontally on a 16:9, allowing the pixels to resume their intended shape. In this way, all 480 lines of resolution are used.

When you play a game that forces letter boxing on the 4:3 setting, the Wii is "losing" anywhere up to 25% of the resolution, as it is actually rendering the black bars, leaving only a large fraction of the 480 lines available for the game image. This means less resolution for rendering fonts. So basically, the developers fucked up and used a font that is too small.

Setting your TV to 16:9 mode allows the Wii to use the entire 480 lines for the signal, since it no longer has to generates the black bars. Hell, the 16:9 mode on most TV is simply squishing the scan lines down vertically without any sort of special processing. It was designed for use with anamorphic signals, which is exactly what the Wii outputs in 16:9 mode.

It sounds like the developers didn't want to take into account 4:3 televisions, since fixed GUI/HUD elements need to be designed with both ratios in mind from the start. Most first-party games do this, and you can immediately notice it in games like New Super Mario Bros Wii, where the HUD elements are confined to the 4:3 visible area even in 16:9 mode.

jufonuk said:
game feels like a real time hack and slash with some strategy actions a heap of exploration thrown in for good measure..wow..maye a convert to some rpg's now this and OoT are an eye opener, it has clicked more with me than MH Tri...heard the game will take a long time to complete? how long roughly just to do main quests and no side ones? game feels like it will have a lot of depth to it.

40-50 hours from what I've heard. Although from my experience you definitely need to do some sidequests in order to be the right level for the area's boss.

wrowa

jufonuk said:
heard the game will take a long time to complete? how long roughly just to do main quests and no side ones? game feels like it will have a lot of depth to it.
Why would you want to miss the game?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
CruxisMana said:
40-50 hours from what I've heard. Although from my experience you definitely need to do some sidequests in order to be the right level for the area's boss.
whelp, damn will e playing this for ages then or trying to :) dead island coming out soon shit too many games lol

wrowa said:
Why would you want to miss the game?

RPG Noob and not really OCD about 100% a game, if certain quests add to stats etc then I wlll do them..otherwise I just wish to get on with the main missions and see how the game pans out. :D

lol Iam only one that think of this

5028905.67454dbc2b7e52d8a1.05723935

when Dunban uses Electic Gustbuster!

Sennorin

Banned
Well, Xenoblade certainly managed to save me some money. Will buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution when it´s on Steam for 10 bucks :p

Anyway, could some tell me the following without any specific spoilers, just yes or no: I´m at the beginning for some forest. Is there going to be another BIG, gorgeous open area like the Gaur field between colony 9 and 6?

wrowa

jufonuk said:
RPG Noob and not really OCD about 100% a game, if certain quests add to stats etc then I wlll do them..otherwise I just wish to get on with the main missions and see how the game pans out. :D
In this case this isn't OCD but pretty much what the game is about...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Big Papa Husker said:
I have a question for those in the US who ordered from GAME and received it: Did it come USPS or UPS?
It would come USPS. Shipping international via UPS would be 2x the cost of the game itself on brokerage fees alone.

Infinite

Guys, is it ok to sell some of the collectibles and materials for cash? I haven't found any immediate uses for them outside of the ones that are needed to complete sub quests but I have a feeling that there might be later uses for them.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Anabuhabkuss said:
365game.co.uk emailed me saying ym order will not be processed because they are out of stock.

Seriously, I hope NOA gets the message now.

With that said, can anyone suggest a site where I can order this from? Sounds like it may be easier to have my friend in London pick it up and just ship it to me.

do that if you can or try gamestation.co.uk, the hut or game.uk.com or amazon.co.uk i guess

not really sure about Zaavi or try hmv.co.uk

Feep

Banned
Two hours in.

Hype expectations = met.

Holy shit at the number of sidequests, though. I'll never be able to do all of these...

wsippel

Banned
Sennorin said:
Well, Xenoblade certainly managed to save me some money. Will buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution when it´s on Steam for 10 bucks :p

Anyway, could some tell me the following without any specific spoilers, just yes or no: I´m at the beginning for some forest. Is there going to be another BIG, gorgeous open area like the Gaur field between colony 9 and 6?
Hard to answer. Are there areas just as big, or maybe even bigger? Yes. Is one of them like Gaur Plains? No. And that's actually a good thing in my book. Colony 9 and Gaur Plains are rather similar. Everything after that is very different. Not necessarily smaller, definitely not boring, but different. It probably would become boring if all areas were the same.

Sennorin said:

I haven't had time to explore it yet, but the sea I've just got too
Eryth Sea
looks to be just as big.

Phenomic

Ledsen said:
People have already told you it could take multiple weeks. Calm down man, it'll come eventually.

Accept that with GAME you pay for shipping and it explicitly says 4 to 6 business days. If it is going to take 3 weeks they need to tell me before I buy stuff from them. If it takes that long there won't be a very happy customer sales rep that will have to hear me complain to.

Now in his case I think he went with Zavvi, so he's kind of screwed because I don't think they specified a time. Needless to say in my case if it doesn't show up on the 6th business day (tomorrow) I'm not going to be a fun person to be around.

I've been playing this game for 13 hours now and it's AMAZING. I guess there is 1 positive thing about the whole "no release in USA" thing because I didn't even know this game (and the other 2 RPG's) excisted before Operation rainfall was all over the place :p
Still hope NoA decides to release this game if they see how well it sells.

There is 1 thing I need to ask though... Is it normal that al the NPC's disappear if you talk to someone and reappear when you finish talking? Not that it's a big deal but it looks kind of stupid.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
BlazingDarkness said:
Time to explore
Eryth Sea
:D

Shit is so huge and gorgeous, Im just starting there myself. Each new area somehow tops the last in scale and beauty.

I really take back everything I said in BK3 threads about wanting to keep the hand drawn 2D backgrounds. Give me BK art style and combat in a huge insanely gorgeous Xenoblade open world in HD on Wii U please. I know you have it in you Monolithsoft.

Ledsen

shadyspace said:
That's how I've played all of what I have of this game so far. Which literally hurts my eyes after no more than ten minutes. No thanks.

This is the fourth SDTV I've owned in my life. I was very familiar with all of them. None of them had a 16:9 mode. Including this one.
Really? I've never seen an SDTV without 16:9 mode. Is yours 20 years old?

Durante

Out_Of_Ammo said:
There is 1 thing I need to ask though... Is it normal that al the NPC's disappear if you talk to someone and reappear when you finish talking? Not that it's a big deal but it looks kind of stupid.
I think this is normal. I don't understand why they did it though, it's not like the game has to do more processing during dialog or anything like that.

Ledsen said:
Really? I've never seen an SDTV without 16:9 mode. Is yours 20 years old?
No. I picked it up second-hand so I don't know how old it is but it's flat glass. The menu is sparse. There's no setting for video beyond brightness and shit like and a "Game Mode" whatever the hell that is.

Enduin said:
Shit is so huge and gorgeous, Im just starting there myself. Each new area somehow tops the last in scale and beauty.

I really take back everything I said in BK3 threads about wanting to keep the hand drawn 2D backgrounds. Give me BK art style and combat in a huge insanely gorgeous Xenoblade open world in HD on Wii U please. I know you have it in you Monolithsoft.

That first view you get as you first enter is absolutely mind blowing

Torillian

Neo Member
Order from Game arrived today in Milwaukee, WI. Was dispatched Late night Monday last week.

Not sure if we're still doing these reports for NA imports but I figured I might as well.

Ledsen

shadyspace said:
No. I picked it up second-hand so I don't know how old it is but it's flat glass. The menu is sparse. There's no setting for video beyond brightness and shit like and a "Game Mode" whatever the hell that is.
flat glass means its fairly new. It definitely has aspect ratio changing. I'm 100% you just havent found the button yet. It's usually not in the menu but its own button on the remote. Try finding one that looks like a square being squashed be two arrows, that should be the aspect ratio button.

Ledsen said:
I'm 100% you just havent found the button yet. It's usually not in the menu but its own button on the remote. Try finding one that looks like à square being squashed be two arrows, that should be the aspect ratio button.
I didn't get a remote with it. Found a random one in my house and paired that to it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Quote said:
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Homebrew woes, shipping issues, and sometimes we even talk about the game.

or: Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| this is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps

Ledsen

shadyspace said:
I didn't get a remote with it. Found a random one in my house and paired that to it.
Then you're screwed. Like I said, the button is on the remote. Unless the one you're using has a button that can do the same thing.

Torillian said:
Order from Game arrived today in Milwaukee, WI. Was dispatched Late night Monday last week.

Not sure if we're still doing these reports for NA imports but I figured I might as well.
Sure. Its just to show that RPGCrazied wont get his lol

chris121580

Torillian said:

Was it regular mail or UPS? Still waiting patiently for mine

Quote said:
Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Homebrew woes, shipping issues, and sometimes we even talk about the game.

I have to agree... The thread has become a pain to go through at this point. I'm sure there are other threads where people can discuss homebrew and importing. I think the thread title might be encouraging off-topic posting.

Top Bottom