• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Zafir

Well, even those who are waiting for games to arrive, finding out someone near you, or someone who ordered from the same place as you got the game doesn't really help. It could have been on a different plane, a different stack which wasn't sorted till the next day, or any number of things. Honestly you shouldn't start worrying until it gets past the 2 week mark.

Diffense

It's nice to know when other people are getting their copies and they should continue posting.

(Everywhere people congregate there's always some who like making issues out of harmless things.)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
About ready to jump into this game I think, can get it with the CC pro bundle like in the OP for a reasonable price.

Generally JRPG's haven't been very accessible for me and I'm hardly a seasoned RPG player, about the only experience I have with any form of RPG is Pokemon and Monster Hunter. The open world and leveling looks really cool, so I'm keen to get into this one. Is it reasonably beginner-friendly? Reviews seem to suggest so but figured I'd ask people who are just starting out with it. Thanks!

julls said:
About ready to jump into this game I think, can get it with the CC pro bundle like in the OP for a reasonable price.

Generally JRPG's haven't been very accessible for me and I'm hardly a seasoned RPG player, about the only experience I have with any form of RPG is Pokemon and Monster Hunter. The open world and leveling looks really cool, so I'm keen to get into this one. Is it reasonably beginner-friendly? Reviews seem to suggest so but figured I'd ask people who are just starting out with it. Thanks!

It can be a bit overwhelming at first if you're into the turn-based battling of Pokemon, but your Monster Hunter experience suggests that you're willing to put some time into the game and figure it out. And once you do, it's not difficult to understand. The in-game tutorials are short and very informative.

TheExodu5

Banned
julls said:

If you've played Monster Hunter, then you're capable of playing any JRPG ever released. The best JRPGs have similar concepts to Monster Hunter (preparation, buffing, strategy), but generally involve much simpler execution.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Thanks for the replies - I figured Monster Hunter was on the higher end of preparation/item management, just wanted to confirm I wouldn't be in over my head here! Now for that Wii and tv to arrive!

Varion

BlazingDarkness said:
Nice:D Where are you in the plot?
L44ish enemies area after finishing with everything at Pr
ison Island
. Just entered and then left though, I'm not intending on moving on for a bit longer.

julls said:
Particularly if you think you'll enjoy doing lots of quests, you're unlikely to have many problems. The game's level system is skewed so that more than most other RPGs if you're overlevelled you'll walk almost every battle, and if you do most of the quests you will be overlevelled. Like people have said the tutorials are good and the system itself is simple but effective, but even if you do run into a wall you can just take a bit of time out to do some quests, or even look around (as finding new locations and landmarks gets you EXP too), and you'll be fine again. There's also the fact that if you die then you're just teleported to the nearest landmark with all your EXP, items etc intact, and no Game Over screen forcing you back to your last save.

So yeah, I'd say it's pretty beginner friendly.

No Xenoblade, but I got my copy of the original Vagrant Story guide instead (I stopped collecting special editions of games and am focusing on getting collectible guides instead. For now Im working on my RPG collection). Win for today. Hopes for later this week.

Vagrant Story to kill the time.

So I just got an email from Amazon at 6:00PM.

Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on June 24 2011 (Order#).

"Monado: Beginning of the World"
Estimated arrival date: September 23 2011

Anyone else get this?

weeaboo

My god, I have reached the
Eryth Sea
. This game never cease to amaze me. I'm just going to wait to see what happen at night looking the enviroment and enjoying the music.... so peaceful...

weeaboo said:
Eryth Sea
. This game never cease to amaze me. I'm just going to wait to see what happen at night looking the enviroment and enjoying the music.... so peaceful...
My jaw dropped when I saw it :O

Varion

weeaboo said:
Eryth Sea
Yeah, it's not going stop amazing you now. Man that place is gorgeous at night.

Zihark

Got my copy today from shopto shipped last tuesday arrive to me in Southern California today. Pleasantly pleased with my first importing experience, relatively fast all things considered.

VillageBC

I have 46hrs into this game with characters at L46 (L44 Area
Just left Eryth Sea, something Mountains)
and I'm loving this game. Took a bit a a break from doing all the side quests and been following the main story line since leaving
Makna Forest.
So much side questing to do I was beginning to burn out on it.

Just loving this game. One of these few games where something about it has just captured me and made me want to devour the game. This so far is looking to end up in my nostalgia mind as one of my favourites along side FFVII, Baldurs Gate 1/2 and Planescape Torment.

BTW guys, I saw a nude mod for this game a couple of weeks ago. I completely forgot about it and just remember it now. No, I don't have it nor do I have the game or the website anymore. I just stumbled into it by accident.

weeaboo

Cow Mengde said:
BTW guys, I saw a nude mod for this game a couple of weeks ago. I completely forgot about it and just remember it now. No, I don't have it nor do I have the game or the website anymore. I just stumbled into it by accident.

*google*

Oh...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I swear, it's the best armour she has!

Body oil on Reyn is also great

SBi4p.jpg

Alrus

overcast said:
How's the story? I am considering importing the game.

The story is fine so far, it doesn't seem overly convoluted, the characters are likeable, you don't have too much clichés and the plot is interesting. I really like it overall.

Edit: And there's barely any angst! That's awesome for me, I hate overly angsty characters.

Alrus said:
The story is fine so far, it doesn't seem overly convoluted, the characters are likeable, you don't have too much clichés and the plot is interesting. I really like it overall.

Edit: And there's barely any angst! That's awesome for me, I hate overly angsty characters.

It's the anti-FFVIII.

which is fine by me

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Do you need to have a wireless sensor bar to play Wii games with Wiimotes in Dolphin? Is the performance improvement in Dolphin worth the purchase? Could I just play Xenoblade with the classic controller instead?

A Human Becoming said:
Do you need to have a wireless sensor bar to play Wii games with Wiimotes in Dolphin? Is the performance improvement in Dolphin worth the purchase? Could I just play Xenoblade with the classic controller instead?

1. Yes.
2. Probably.
3. Yes, though if you want to use the Classic Controller in Dolphin you'll need a sensor bar. Use your Wii's or you can get them for cheap (under $10) all over the place.

A Human Becoming said:
How would I use my Wiis? Since all the sensor bar does is project a light, does it matter if it's connected to my Wii when I use Dolphin?

Nope! Your Wii does have to be on, though. Just put the sensor bar above or below the screen.

Halfmunch

Hey, I just got home from work and found Xenoblade waiting for me! Ordered from GAME, to California delivered by USPS. Can't wait to play!

Luigiv

SecretMoblin said:
1. Yes.
2. Probably.
3. Yes, though if you want to use the Classic Controller in Dolphin you'll need a sensor bar. Use your Wii's or you can get them for cheap (under $10) all over the place.
Que? That couldn't be further from the truth.

1. Only if you need to use the pointer. Doesn't specifically need to be a wireless sensor bar either. A pair of candles is fine too.
2. Same as above.
3. Yes, if you use a classic controller you won't need a sensor bar.

Luigiv said:
Que?

1. Only if you need to use the pointer. Doesn't specifically need to be a wireless sensor bar either. A pair of candles is fine too.
2. Same as above.
3. Yes, if you use a classic controller you won't need a sensor bar.

Ahhh, I was thinking about games that required the pointing function.

Dolphin recognizes the controller through bluetooth.

Sennorin

Banned
Question about the fifth party-member:

Who do I swap for Melia? She doesn´t seem to be a healer, but taking Reyn out of the team would take away a lot of physical strength. Is Melia any good?

Another question: If I keep playing with the same three party members, does it have any negative effects on the other, inactive members? Can I still achieve the best harmony between everyone even if I don´t use anyone else till the end part of the game?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is anyone else finding it kind of a chore to compare and optimise equipment? It's a bit annoying that upgrades so far are often marginal, switching up ether or physical defense, and if they're not marginal then the equipment doesn't have any gem slots or any inherent extra stat upgrades, and stuff like that, which makes it hard to pick what's best without going into a min maxing mentality. I'd have prefered a simpler more obvious system but maybe upgrades are more substantial later... Level 28 or so...

LProtag

Halfmunch said:
Hey, I just got home from work and found Xenoblade waiting for me! Ordered from GAME, to California delivered by USPS. Can't wait to play!

How did GAME get something all the way to California before it got it to me in Connecticut?

Anyway, enjoy!

kiryogi

Banned
Sennorin said:
Question about the fifth party-member:

Who do I swap for Melia? She doesn´t seem to be a healer, but taking Reyn out of the team would take away a lot of physical strength. Is Melia any good?

Another question: If I keep playing with the same three party members, does it have any negative effects on the other, inactive members? Can I still achieve the best harmony between everyone even if I don´t use anyone else till the end part of the game?
Melia is one of the best. You're losing a lot more having Reyn over Melia. Melia easily outdamages Reyn. Who needs physical strength when you have a ether powerhouse that nukes everything. In fact, as I've said a million times now. Reyn is actually the weakest char out of the entire cast.

In other words, if you're not using Melia, you're doing it wrong.

Phenomic

InsertNameHere said:
How did GAME get something all the way to California before it got it to me in Connecticut?

Anyway, enjoy!

Hearing this and being in Florida, so bascially I have no words. I mean why would they have flown over the Pacific Ocean. This just doesn't make sense, maybe tomorrow.

Reveirg

To those who ordered from GAME and received it in NA : did you order the CE or regular edition?

If it's the regular, it might explain why some people received it before east coasters!

Phenomic said:
Hearing this and being in Florida, so bascially I have no words. I mean why would they have flown over the Pacific Ocean. This just doesn't make sense, maybe tomorrow.
they flew over random states and dropped it by parachute.

I just want to thank the folks who have already played through the game and answered questions beforehand. Kind souls like Aeana, kiryogi and others managed my hype perfectly. It's helped me get a grasp of the game in these early hours.

So, thanks!! :)

UberTag

Reveirg said:
To those who ordered from GAME and received it in NA : did you order the CE or regular edition?

If it's the regular, it might explain why some people received it before east coasters!
This is probably the magic question right here.
(I'm still waiting on the CE from GAME in Southern Ontario.)

Top Bottom