• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

gamingeek

HiddenAway said:
Pause the download about 70MB in - then start it up about 5 seconds later.

I can't even get it to 70mb, it cuts out at 25-35 mb and I get error messages with opera or unfinished rar files with IE.

I liked the little touch that happens in Area 15 (or was it 16, my tiredness is making it hard to recall), which is
new battle theme. Given the context of the area it kind of makes sense

SecretMoblin said:
Cost of tracking for international shipments are almost certainly prohibitively large, especially for tiny packages. As long as the packages left the warehouse, they should arrive. Though dates vary wildly.
I've ordered from Gamestop.com and UPS shipping to the UK was fully tracked, cost $15 and was in my hands within 48 hours. #rubbingsaltinwound

Ulthwe said:
  1. The "B" button quick-time. I know when you start a battle it appears and if you time the button press correctly it gives you a boost, but what does it boost?
There are some skills which grant 30 second buffs if it pressed at the correct time. I think it also boosts tension.

Torraz said:
I've a question though. What do I do when I have trouble locating a quest giver or quest objective? I don't see an option to track them on the map or anything.

I'm looking for the girl whose watch I was supposed to fix and for the lake monster at overlook park. In search of the latter I even jumped into the water at day and night time, but I was unable to find it
For the second one
there is a beach/cave/water area which I think was in a cave which is near the park area. Jump off and swim round to it. The monster is found in that area.

As previously said quest givers are ! on the map. You might like to have a notepad and jot down the time you found the person for those NPCs which walk round (but you end up with some redundant info since not all quests require you to return to the NPC). Since most people are active daytime or night it might be better to find their spwan points at those times. Though in the case of others they are active at unusal times or stand in the same spot for a few hours.

Quote said:
Also, they tend to explain every single detail in tutorials EXCEPT I don't think they've explained agility/ether/ect. so I don't really know how to spec out my characters.
My understanding is Ether is basically magic, (character names)
Sharla and Melia
use it for most/nearly all(?) of their artes (
Sharla
says in a cutscene
she has to load it into the gun, unlike Melia who can summon it naturally
). As for agility. Its accuracy and evade with weight reducing the stat (you could use agility+ gems to counteract heavier equipment).

I should have a look and see if the instruction manual mentions these...

Torraz

Antagon said:
For the monster, jump into the water in between the stairs at night.

Thanks.

I'll have to try again then ~.~. I'm pretty sure I tried that, though what I did was I jumped in during daytime and when I did not see any monster I switched the time to night - so that is a difference to the game?

Zornica

Banned
Alrus said:
Damn Bitter Kiwis, I can't find you anywhere :(
you can trade them with
a nopon called leku in frontiervillage. he is on the 5th(?) floor from 11 to 13 - you will need 3 stars btw

LiToKi

Neo Member
sublimit said:
I've been playing for 2 days now and the game is simply incredible.I spend a whole day just fooling around in the first town and the nearby areas.I've trouble finding some quest objectives though.
Same here. Sometimes an objective can be very vague, some hints in what general direction I should be looking for would help.

Or sometimes I just can't find it and need to search every nook and cranny :). Like the granny wanting to give her grandson cookies; where in the world in the residential area is he? I feel like going in circles sometimes.

Otherwise; splendid game! Also; ordered from Amazon.co.uk, took 3 working days to arrive (I'm in the Netherlands).

gamingeek

CruxisMana said:
I used Firefox and the 70mb pause method worked the first time.

Why the hell should we have to pause the file? It should bloody work from the get go.

They have this stupid time limit period of when you can download it too and the UK contact email form doesn't even work so you can't even submit a help contact request.

I even contacted the webmaster to tell them about the tech fault with the form. The website as a whole is running like shit.

wrowa

gamingeek said:
Why the hell should we have to pause the file? It should bloody work from the get go.

They have this stupid time limit period of when you can download it too and the UK contact email form doesn't even work so you can't even submit a help contact request.

I even contacted the webmaster to tell them about the tech fault with the form. The website as a whole is running like shit.
It's still more than a month until the download period ends, so relax a little :)

MicH

Didn't get it in my mail today either. Christ. I can't believe this. If it isn't here by Monday, i'm reordering somewhere else.

Damn got to do the shopping for the week now (otherwise I wouldn't eat and that I can't do).

But I want to play so bad...hopefully in 2 hours max I'm back!

89:40, level 71 for now, got one named to pwn before advancing the story and kick someone's butt to the ground. Hope I'll beat it because if I go too far he's going to go away.

waytofailself

Neo Member
I hope you all get it. I'm doubtful I get mine just because I'm pessimistic like that and I have yet to hear of anyone who ordered from ASDA getting theirs. But they were the people who would accept my CC info to even make an order, so what can I do, right?

If I had to guess, I'd say my package is probably sitting in my local post office while the people there drool. They HATE dealing with international stuff and will just let it rot, I've had it happen before with other stuff.

Ledsen

Tephra Cave: Where the goddamn is
the key for the Warehouse door? I'm 20 hours in and that damn door back in the beginning is still bugging me :p
edit: Forgot spoiler, sorry.

wsippel

Banned
Ledsen said:
Tephra Cave: Where the goddamn is the key for the Warehouse door? I'm 20 hours in and that damn door back in the beginning is still bugging me :p
Endgame, as far as I know. Come again in 50 levels or so.

RPGCrazied

Wow. Is this Zavvi rep this dumb?

First she says:

If you have not received this by the 5/9/11 we can then start to trace this for you.

Then I ask if she could please do this earlier, just so I can be at peace. Then she says:

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately we do not have tracking numbers on items sent out.

So, which is it? You can or you can't? ;/

MicH

They don't have a tracking number, but if you haven't received it by that given date, I believe they will try to find where it is located by contacting the post offices. I believe it's something like that.

And at least Zavvi answers your inquiries. GAME hasn't even responded to mine.

Varion

MicH said:
They don't have a tracking number, but if you haven't received it by that given date, I believe they will try to find where it is located by contacting the post offices. I believe it's something like that.

Yeah that's been my experience with a few online stores, they claim they'll try and chase it up. Of course I'm not entirely sure if they actually do or it's just a "say whatever to get this pestering customer off our backs and hope it arrives in that time", but either way, seems like they won't do anything until that date.

RPGCrazied

MicH said:

You are in EU right? How can you be waiting so long? Some dude in here is from Texas, got his from GAME in like 6 or 7 days.

MicH said:
I don't think they even do that. It far more time/cost effective to just write it off as a loss. Their insurance or Royal Mail will refund them anyway. When running such businesses you have to account for a small percentage of orders getting lost like this.

It is also why orders above a certain cost automatically going to couriers as I recall Royal Mail limiting claims at a certain cost (it was below £100).

MicH

RPGCrazied said:
You are in EU right? How can you be waiting so long? Some dude in here is from Texas, got his from GAME in like 6 or 7 days.
Yeah I don't get it either. I've shopped at GAME multiple times before and every order took 5 days to get here. So far this has taken 10 + the upcoming weekend.

RPGCrazied

legend166 said:
How many times did everyone tell people that Zavvi took forever to ship? Two weeks is the norm. No need to panic.

They are just inconsistent from what I'm gathering. Cause SecretMoblin is from the states and got his from Zavvi 2 day ago. I don't eve think its been a week in shipping.

sublimit

Banned
LiToKi said:
Like the granny wanting to give her grandson cookies; where in the world in the residential area is he? I feel like going in circles sometimes.

I think i was searching for about 2 hours for her damned grandson until i eventually gave up.:(I'm guessing you have to find him at a certain hour of the day/night?
I'm gonna give it another try when i'll play the game later today.

sublimit said:
I think i was searching for about 2 hours for her damned grandson until i eventually gave up.:(I'm guessing you have to find him at a certain hour of the day/night?
I'm gonna give it another try when i'll play the game later today.

Residential Area - at night, usually punching a tree (IIRC)

RPGCRazied for the love of God I hope you get yours delivered today.

Same with me. I sat and just stared at my Homebrew screen with the Gecko icon on it last night while "Fields of Machinae" played in the background. Almost shed a tear. Almost.

JerkShep

I'm going mad trying to find the last flower in Satorl Marsh, it's the last one I'm missing for the collectopedia. Any help? It should be named "Forget Me Not" or something like that

wrowa

RPGCrazied said:
Wow. Is this Zavvi rep this dumb?
Well, you aren't listening either, are you? People are telling you for a week that a delivery from Europe can take up to two or three weeks. What is Zavvi supposed to do? You have chosen a free shipping service without a tracking number. Why do you think you could suddenly demand one? What did you expect? If you wanted the game as quickly as possible, then why have you chosen a free service?

Labadal

I'm about to leave Colony 9 now. That was some heavy stuff going on there. I'm now loving the game. I don't think the battle system is the best, but it is still good, and with the ability to link arts its becoming more fun.

Just got to the top of
Nopon Village.
Holy cow, it keeps on going and going and going. I managed to level up from bottom to top lol

Currently at lvl 38 now. Not really doing many of the side quests TBH, there's a lot of fetch quests and going backwards and forwards so it's not really that fun for me. Game's pretty darn easy so doing the quests aren't essential.

Gotta say though, this is definitely one of my fave RPGs, not just this gen but ever. Somewhere in the Top 10 for sure. Well worth buying a Wii for alone if you in anyway love RPGs. It's a beautiful game, that's huge in size and scale with a lot going for it. I thought it was a bit of a slow start but once you get in, it hooks you. Also warming to the characters more, where before they didn't feel all that likeable.

Ledsen

So I started writing this because I'm 20 hours in and it feels like I'm quite often discovering new things that aren't explained properly, or that I simply forgot after reading the tutorial once. Please guys, write stuff I can add and we can link to this post for new players to read. No spoilers guys!

Less Obvious Things About Xenoblade aka The Stuff You May Have Missed FAQ

General

- You can fast travel to any landmark on any map by going to the menu, then Area Maps.

- When monsters drop loot, you can tell by the chest they drop if you got normal junk loot or "rare" loot (the ones you usually need for quests and collectopedia). Brown wooden chest = normal loot. Blue/grey chest = rare loot. Gold chest = Unique Monster loot.

- You can set the quest menu to only show incomplete quests by pressing Y and choosing "current" (quests where you have finished at least one objective) or "new" (quests where you haven't finished any objectives).

- Quests with a clock in front of them will become unavailable after certain points in the story, but apparently this is nothing to worry about and happens far into the game.

- In the Affinity Chart menu, you can see which times certain NPCs will be out and about. It won't show you exactly where they are though.

- There is a clock around the mini-map.

Items

- If you go into the Item screen, then to the "Collectables" tab, you can gift items to your party members to increase affinity. Just choose an item, press A, and then "present".

- In the Item screen, a blue "!" on top of an item means that item will be useful in a future sidequest. Save it!

Skills

- In the skill menu, you can choose one of three skill trees for a character to follow. You learn skills from top to bottom.

- If you press the "-" button on this screen, you will reach the Skill Links screen. Here, the character can "borrow" skills from other characters, to equip on him/herself. The number of skills you can borrow depend on the affinity level between the characters. Each skill you borrow costs a number of "affinity coins" which you get for, amongst other things, defeating Unique Monsters.

- The thin yellow bar under your characters HP shows how close you are to learning a new skill.

Battle

- There is something called "tension" in battle. You can see how high a characters tension is by looking at their portrait. If they look sad, they're low on tension. If they're angry, they're high. If they're burning, goddamn!

- Tension makes you more likely to score crits and less likely to miss.

- You increase tension by pressing the B button correctly at the beginning of and during battles.

Bennettt2

I ordered this bad boy with express shipping and insurance. Didn't take any chances.

Now that I have had the game for 2 days, I've been on cloud 9 just because I am actually playing this game in English.

JerkShep said:
I'm going mad trying to find the last flower in Satorl Marsh, it's the last one I'm missing for the collectopedia. Any help? It should be named "Forget Me Not" or something like that
I'm missing something from there too. Anyway, did a quick look on Gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/60104079 said:
Finally got it after wandering around for 3 hours. It was at night near some small pools of water to the north I think? Try looking there.
Just remember that each ball of light has its own drop table with a certain of list of percentages.

The Japanese wiki has a full list of percentages for each (and you can find which NPCs you can trade for it with), not got time to check though. Sorry.

Mojojo

Just reached the
Valak mountain
and I like it .
so many caves, ledges overcrossing, walls to climb, it can make you dizzy with all the weird angles. And the skylamp crystals at night are a nice touch, though i would have chosen another glow than yellow, it reminds me too much of piss on snow >.<

Got a question about 2 locked areas in Makna forest :
the Orugal camp closed by a barrier, and the Agni tomb, are related to the main quest or are they for sidequests?

55 hours, level 69, and I'm just front of a level 70 boss (
Egil
).

I guess the final straight starts here and now. So excited. But I have to go out and probably can not play until the evening :(

Varion

Mojojo said:
Got a question about 2 locked areas in Makna forest :
the Orugal camp closed by a barrier, and the Agni tomb, are related to the main quest or are they for sidequests?
Sidequests.

meppi

I think I'm going to take my sweet time with this game.
I'm level 20 right now, have played for over 8 hours and I'm still just started on the Guar Plains.

Loving literally every second of it! :D

Top Bottom