• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
PumpkinPie said:
Mine worked fine, took about 20 seconds to DL the whole file.

It worked for him already. He made a thread about it.

Dascu said:
No, he's not
from Colony 6. Xord is actually the father of an NPC (I think Dorothy? Could be wrong) in Colony 9. When you talk to her, she mentions how her father named Xord was a blacksmith and loved to swing his hammer around. He was also killed (or not!) in the big battle with the Mechon.

Curiously enough, she talked about this before it's revealed that the masked Mechon have the souls of Homs. Actually, I haven't even reached the part in the game yet where that's explained; I've only arrived in Alcamoth (I'm just speculating, since it seems rather obvious from the premonitions and that bit of dialogue).
Ah, Sharla seems to know him as well. Maybe she and Dorothy are friends?

JerkShep said:
Oh ok thanks. As for the Japanese wikia should I basically...google translate it right?
wikia? I'm using this site: http://xenobladedata.web.fc2.com/index.html

What I like to do is run one tab in Japanese and use the area maps section to find stuff, listed in the same order as the game menu from what I can tell. The map pages themselves have links to the other sections for that map like quests in that area etc. I then translate the other section I want using google (the translations are not perfect but workable as most the things are fairly literal). The Japanese maps have rough NPC locations and quest items so on Google the translated page move the mouse over the word to see the original Japanese.

The collectables tab has the x,y location of each one (hence another reason to have their map images up) so use that for finding good spots to collect what you want. The downside of this is you may spoil secret area locations for yourself.

Also another thing you might dislike is the chapter* name it gives for the end game quests might be a slight spoiler. You can end up bumping into that info by I think clicking on a collectable in the collectable tab then clicking on an NPC name (as the big list of stuff gives NPC you can trade for them off) or just looking at the quest pages (new quests in old areas open up more often than you would think...)

Finally, google translate reaches its limit on some of the pages that are massive tables (the materials/collectables master list for instance) as in it will translate half the columns then stop.

*-I think each time the game asks you to save and the file icon is the game logo indicates a chapter being completed.

MicH

In the wait for my copy, I just checked if my Wii can read dual-layer discs by playing Smash Bros. It did, and I actually played quite a bit, since it was so fun, lol. Haven't played the Subspace Emissary in years!

MicH said:
In the wait for my copy, I just checked if my Wii can read dual-layer discs by playing Smash Bros. It did, and I actually played quite a bit, since it was so fun, lol. Haven't played the Subspace Emissary in years!
Dont play too much! don't want your wii to crap out!

JerkShep

Starwolf_UK said:
wikia? I'm using this site: http://xenobladedata.web.fc2.com/index.html

What I like to do is run one tab in Japanese and use the area maps section to find stuff, listed in the same order as the game menu from what I can tell. The map pages themselves have links to the other sections for that map like quests in that area etc. I then translate the other section I want using google (the translations are not perfect but workable as most the things are fairly literal). The Japanese maps have rough NPC locations and quest items so on Google the translated page move the mouse over the word to see the original Japanese.

The collectables tab has the x,y location of each one (hence another reason to have their map images up) so use that for finding good spots to collect what you want. The downside of this is you may spoil secret area locations for yourself.

Also another thing you might dislike is the chapter* name it gives for the end game quests might be a slight spoiler. You can end up bumping into that info by I think clicking on a collectable in the collectable tab then clicking on an NPC name (as the big list of stuff gives NPC you can trade for them off) or just looking at the quest pages (new quests in old areas open up more often than you would think...)

Finally, google translate reaches its limit on some of the pages that are massive tables (the materials/collectables master list for instance) as in it will translate half the columns then stop.

*-I think each time the game asks you to save and the file icon is the game logo indicates a chapter being completed.

Wow, this is really useful. Thanks. Actually if it wasn't for the Quest List on that site I'd have missed some Bionic Legs subquests. I'll try to use the guide only when I've already explored each area

kunonabi

My copy has made it to the states. Last update was in Carson, CA. Hopefully I get it earlier than the Sep 6. estimate. I'm in AZ so it shouldn't take that long.

Reknoc

Dascu said:
There's not much exploring to it. Finding NPCs there is a pain in the butt though.
Yea that's what I meant. To hell with these guys, they can sort their own problems out and can blame it on their shitty architects.

Ulthwe

Varion said:
You can, but that limits you to travelling between landmarks in your current area. The menu -> Area Maps method lets you travel between areas without teleporting to the start of the area, move back to the previous one, repeat that most new players end up doing before they realise.
Holee shit, lucky I'm just 13 h into the game. This game has "secrets" even on the menus. Thx Varion!

Haha! Just dinged my 300th quest (excluding story quests) according to the achievement in-game! 50.000xp get!

I was worrying how I could grind when every monster in the latest dungeon in now black, but on the Bionis' Leg there are level 73 Flamii that come in 2, 3 or 4, they give me each 4.000+xp so if need be I'll stay around before killing the next boss.

cacildo

inescusable fighting game with no actual sword fighting, 21 Aug 2011
By Mr. S. Tomlin "inspiraller" (England) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) (Video Game)
I was looking forward to playing the game on the wii, but as I read the instructions I was a bit surprised to find out no instructions on how to swing the wii and use buttons to attack. It turns out, that to attack and fight monsters you instead choose a sword symbol. What? I put the game on and low and behold, I was dumbfounded. What a waste of money and an incredibly stupid idea. I want to swing the wii like a sword. Picking sword symbols to say chop left, or chop right is ridiculous. It's not exactly realistic when you're fighting people and loses the momentum of the moment. I urge you DON'T BUY THIS GAME IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO SWING THE WII LIKE A SWORD. Which is what you might expect to do for a game like this. I'm just going to wait until Zelda skyward sword and not waste my money on any more awful games.

Obvious troll is obvious... and funny.

Look, Xenoblade is a great game. But you cant be THAT anal to the point of being angry at ANY joke made about the game.

Its a game. An amazing game. With obvious plot holes, gameplay flaws, missed oportunities...

The fact that we love the game and are playing the hell out of it is an obvious bridge to jokes about the game´s flaws and details...

And yes, the game is great but it do have a lot of flaws, like any other videogame ever made.

PS: Obviously, i DONT think that the fact that "you cant swing the wii like a sword" is a flaw. As said before, the guy was just trolling.

-------------
I can tell you one thing i hate about the game. And its one thing that will make the "DONT MESS WITH MY PERFECT JAPANESE GAME" crowd go bonkers:

I hate how the art style makes the game sometimes look like that bunch of horrible "Tales of" games that came out for the wii and nobody gave a fuck.

Yes, i dont like the Tales games. There, i said it.
I think Xenboblade is great, it makes a great job with the big enviroment and stuff, but the character design and overall art style makes it looks like that stupid tales games.

I know, the wii aint that capable in terms of graphics. But i still think is a bad thing the game looks like "Tales of" sometimes.

Reveirg

IT IS HERE!!!! DON'T LOSE HOPE!!!!!!

Game.co.uk CE Edition, Montreal, and it did NOT come by regular mail. A Canada Post truck came by a bit later, to my HUGE surprise.

Dascu

cacildo said:
-------------
I can tell you one thing i hate about the game. And its one thing that will make the "DONT MESS WITH MY PERFECT JAPANESE GAME" crowd go bonkers:

I hate how the art style makes the game sometimes look like that bunch of horrible "Tales of" games that came out for the wii and nobody gave a fuck.

Yes, i dont like the Tales games. There, i said it.
I think Xenboblade is great, it makes a great job with the big enviroment and stuff, but the character design and overall art style makes it looks like that stupid tales games.

I know, the wii aint that capable in terms of graphics. But i still think is a bad thing the game looks like "Tales of" sometimes.
I'm generally liking the character design, both visually and personality wise, but I can see what you mean. I also hate the Tales of series by the way.

I'm at
Alcamoth now, and some of the High Entia designs, especially Alvis and that "evil woman with the red bondage gear", look terrible.

god its so hard sometimes to maintain an even set of expectations and hope. you dont want to get them super high because you dont want to have an ultimate letdown, yet you dont want to be pessimistic about it because that always screws you over anyway.

goin home to check the mail in an hour..

VillageBC

End area(?) thoughts... Spoilers! Engage blackout mode

So, I've spent the last few hours getting power to lifts, disabling forcefeilds and activating lifts climbing to the capital city of Mechonis which i just arrived at.

All the areas were great up to Eryth Sea. Since then, I haven't been impressed. The Mountains were drab, confusing, and large I just ran through them quickly. The actual mechon city was neat, though I didn't care for the surrounding lands architecture.

Then we get into Mechonis and elevator hell. the entire area felt like it was just a training area to make sure you were leveled appropriately for the end game. Go to the elevator, oh it doesn't work/behiind forcefield/etcetera. Find power or some other thing to enable/gain access to it, ride a level up and repeat. At least for the most part you don't have to go far. It's an annoying puzzle mechanic almost every jRPG uses, but it's been going on since Galahad fortress with just a short break.

It is not ruining an otherwise awesome game, but it's taking some shine off of it. 3hrs+ of lift puzzles just gets annoying. Make it end!

My fighters composition. L63

Since recovery of Fiora it's been Shulk/Dunban/Fiora. They eat everything I run into for lunch, only sometimes hitting problems with mobs/uniques that have spike effects while down and bosses if I'm taking too much damage. I try to always have the character(s) that the boss battle means something to. End up trying to do boss battles with not the best mix of units because characters involvement for revenge/rescue.

cacildo

Dascu said:
I'm generally liking the character design, both visually and personality wise, but I can see what you mean. I also hate the Tales of series by the way.

I'm at
Alcamoth now, and some of the High Entia designs, especially Alvis and that "evil woman with the red bondage gear", look terrible.

Lol! Thanks! I always thought that, when it comes to Gaf, i was alone in hating the Tales Of series.

I'm still at
Makna falls, heading for the nopon village. So i dont know who the "evil woman with the red bondage gear" is. But i agree with you, "Arubis" looks terrible

bubnbob

Banned
VillageBC said:

So, I've spent the last few hours getting power to lifts, disabling forcefeilds and activating lifts climbing to the capital city of Mechonis which i just arrived at.

All the areas were great up to Eryth Sea. Since then, I haven't been impressed. The Mountains were drab, confusing, and large I just ran through them quickly. The actual mechon city was neat, though I didn't care for the surrounding lands architecture.

Then we get into Mechonis and elevator hell. the entire area felt like it was just a training area to make sure you were leveled appropriately for the end game. Go to the elevator, oh it doesn't work/behiind forcefield/etcetera. Find power or some other thing to enable/gain access to it, ride a level up and repeat. At least for the most part you don't have to go far. It's an annoying puzzle mechanic almost every jRPG uses, but it's been going on since Galahad fortress with just a short break.

It is not ruining an otherwise awesome game, but it's taking some shine off of it. 3hrs+ of lift puzzles just gets annoying. Make it end!

Since recovery of Fiora it's been Shulk/Dunban/Fiora. They eat everything I run into for lunch, only sometimes hitting problems with mobs/uniques that have spike effects while down and bosses if I'm taking too much damage. I try to always have the character(s) that the boss battle means something to. End up trying to do boss battles with not the best mix of units because characters involvement for revenge/rescue.

That's not the end area, or close to the end. You still got a ways. Maybe... another 10 hr?

Gvaz

Banned
Dascu said:
I also hate the Tales of series by the way.
1313773203676pcs9.jpg

Them's fighting words mister.

VillageBC said:

I agree, 2/3 into the game it becomes more of a dungeon crawler. the final dungeon is pretty amazing tho.

Twilight Princess said:
I agree, 2/3 into the game it becomes more of a dungeon crawler. the final dungeon is pretty amazing tho.

Wait... it becomes reminiscent of a dungeon crawler?

I'm going to love this game even more. I just have to press on and on AND ON!

bubnbob

Banned
It sets you up with a weaker area because while you are being bored and depressed the game goes WAKE UP BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and slaps you with a fuckton of awesome afterward and you're back in the game.

Twilight Princess said:

Aww. That's a shame to hear.

I haven't been keen on the two dungeons I've been to so far.

CruxisMana said:
Aww. That's a shame to hear.

I haven't been keen on the two dungeons I've been to so far.
Overall I think it's a nice balance between huge open world exploring and RPG dungeon crawling. Also it fits the story rather well.

MicH

RPGCrazied said:
Lol, nothing today. I give up.
:( Me too. This weekend is going to kill me. I've been so close to ordering the solus version somewhere else, but guess what? EVERYWHERE is sold out. Great.

RPGCrazied said:
Lol, nothing today. I give up.

I don't have my order from GAME they shipped it on tuesday of last week.. and I'm on the east coast =/

Hopefully today or tomorrow.. but I'm not holding my breath.

Twilight Princess said:
Overall I think it's a nice balance between huge open world exploring and RPG dungeon crawling. Also it fits the story rather well.

Fair enough, I suppose.

I don't imagine the
High Entia Tomb
is a benchmark in terms of the quality of later dungeons and I couldn't be bothered to walk to the top of
Prison Island so I used the teleporters, so perhaps I might warm to it a little more if I do some more exploring.

Reknoc

RPGCrazied said:
In 2 more days it'll have been 2 weeks when it was shipped. That's a long time for a package to come.
Welcome to importing. Imagine if you were European and had to do this for every atlus game.

Robobandit said:
I don't have my order from GAME they shipped it on tuesday of last week.. and I'm on the east coast =/

Hopefully today or tomorrow.. but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm in the same boat

Edit: actually nevermind, I already got my mail and didn't get it, so only hopefully tomorrow...

SoulFist

RPGCrazied said:
In 2 more days it'll have been 2 weeks when it was shipped. That's a long time for a package to come.

No worries man, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm about 3 hours from where you live and I'm still waiting for mine too. :) I feel yo' paaaaain! (I also ordered from Zaavi)

Top Bottom