• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

epmode

So I just got to Guar Plains and I'm already far over the levels of the random enemies. Should I stop doing sidequests or does the game eventually account for people who like to explore the world? I'd like something resembling a challenge!

Varion

epmode said:
So I just got to Guar Plains and I'm already far over the levels of the random enemies. Should I stop doing sidequests or does the game eventually account for people who like to explore the world? I'd like something resembling a challenge!
Eventually, by the sounds of it. By that point the vast majority of the game is gone already though so yeah, if you want a challenge you'll have to do less sidequests. Or at the very least less of the ones that reward you with EXP.

Luigiv

RPGCrazied said:
Who did you order from? Never will be that way, cause I don't know Japanese/Chinese or any of those languages. Happy Birthday!
Thanks. 'twas a pretty good day if I say so myself.

Anyway, I ordered from 365games/OzGameshop. They shipped pretty late so it's only been 6 working days* since shipment. The estimated shipping time was 4 to 12 working days so it's still nothing for me to get worked up over. I suspect it'll arrive tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday.

Also, never say never to buying from Asia. Half the stuff on Ebay comes from Hong Kong.

*Australia Post doesn't operate on the weekends. Whoa is me.

epmode

Varion said:
Eventually, by the sounds of it. By that point the vast majority of the game is gone already though so yeah, if you want a challenge you'll have to do less sidequests. Or at the very least less of the ones that reward you with EXP.
Thanks.

Why did they bother with all of that ridiculous town affinity stuff if completing it will just unbalance the game? And how can they expect me to NOT talk to the stupid NPCs with all of those eye-catching exclamation marks? I never thought I'd be complaining about leveling too quickly in such a long game but here we are.

Game finished in 69:41 hours, level 82.

5688_e713.gif

To my tastes, a truly new masterpiece of the genre. Quantity, quality and very good design decisions.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Franchuzas87 said:

5688_e713.gif

To my tastes, a truly new masterpiece of the genre. Quantity, quality and very good design decisions.

Great, now sell it to me :p

bubnbob

Banned
Varion said:
Question of mild interest to the few who've beaten or at least come close to beating the English version. Not a huge spoiler or anything, just regarding enemy names:

Did they keep the bizarre NUMBER - RANDOM WORD naming pattern for the enemies in Mechonis Field and the following area? Or did they rename them? Some of them in the Japanese version are just hilariously bizarre. Some of my favourites so far:

Type-38 ESSAY
Type-76 MOIST
Defensive-Type ONION

Almost look forward to new enemies appearing just to see what weirdly inappropriate word they'll use next.

Yes

bubnbob

Banned
Twilight Princess said:
It is truly the best RPG of all time.

almost, but the level "restrictions" really ruined the mood for me, especially at the end. sucks i have to actually grind to be on the "same level" as the final boss just to hit the guy. stuuuupid.

yes i mad

Diffense

AceBandage said:
Well, no other site has it, and some won't even let me register. So my options seem limited.
I've waited this long, I can go a while longer.

Enough people complained about Zavvi's slow delivery for me to be wary.
I preordered from Game and the copy of Xenoblade was in my hands after 10 days.
There are no guarantees but I am happy enough to try them again.
They're out of stock though (only have special edition).

Phenomic

Oh man I'm loving everything about this game. The only thing I regret I think is being such a sucker for doing tons and tons of side quests. I should have totally bought a strategy guide (Is there even one out?) I have such a hard time finding some of the simplest stuff sometimes.

Diffense said:
Enough people complained about Zavvi's slow delivery for me to be wary.
I preordered from Game and the copy of Xenoblade was in my hands after 10 days.
There are no guarantees but I am happy enough to try them again.
They're out of stock though (only have special edition).

Hmm, I set up an alert with GAME, so we'll see if that works out faster. Hopefully they get in more stock Monday.

Pyrokai

Sooo......this game pretty much is amazing me so far. I'm not even that far into the game and I'm absolutely loving it. LOVE the music.

I've played about 6 hours and this is how little I've accomplished simply because I get so distracted in the game:

Colony 9 was just attacked, and Fiora died. I couldn't BELIEVE it. I was honestly extremely saddened by the event :(

Also, I don't know if it's just me and I suck at these kinds of RPGs, but I'm having a hard time grasping everything. I usually play turn-based RPGs and they're much less stressful and complicated for me. There is just SO much to the battle system as well as everything else that I'm finding it difficult to figure things out. Tiny things, usually, that add up to be massive headaches. I still don't really understand the different colored Arts and what the colors mean, even though I know color is important to the Arts, especially in Chain Attacks (which I also don't really understand just yet). In addition to small things regarding battles, I also don't understand much about Affinity for party members or for others and its importance, or how to raise it. And I haven't even LOOKED at the skill tree stuff or other Arts options in the menu. Far too much to take in. Any suggestions for this dunce, friends?

I should also move my Wii to a different television for this game or something. I'm currently playing on an old SDTV and the text is SUPER hard for me to read because the game is widescreen-only, it seems. I'm sure if I moved it to an HDTV it would look better, but then I'd have to see the nasty aliasing :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The game slowly explains to you what they mean as you go on. And the battle system seems to just be getting more and more complex.

I actually like how the normal enemies are enough of a treat to kill you in the game (At least at the level I am at), I am surpised some of these areas have some really high level monsters. I agrowed a level 82 giant monkey thing, whole party got one shotted.

Varion

Pyrokai said:
Also, I don't know if it's just me and I suck at these kinds of RPGs, but I'm having a hard time grasping everything. I usually play turn-based RPGs and they're much less stressful and complicated for me. There is just SO much to the battle system as well as everything else that I'm finding it difficult to figure things out. Tiny things, usually, that add up to be massive headaches. I still don't really understand the different colored Arts and what the colors mean, even though I know color is important to the Arts, especially in Chain Attacks (which I also don't really understand just yet). In addition to small things regarding battles, I also don't understand much about Affinity for party members or for others and its importance, or how to raise it. And I haven't even LOOKED at the skill tree stuff or other Arts options in the menu. Far too much to take in. Any suggestions for this dunce, friends
Don't hurry to try and take it all in at once. The game isn't so merciless at the start that you'll be killed for not understanding one aspect of the battle system, and when certain elements are needed in major plot battles like chain attacks then they'll be explained again. Rereading the tutorials is never a bad idea if you have something specific you don't understand of course, but otherwise it won't kill you to grasp one at a time.

- Colours are used in a couple of things. One you've already mentioned, chain attacks. Basically just keep using the same colour over and over if you want maximum damage, as the more you use the same colour the higher the damage gets - if you switch to another colour it's reset. The only exception is the big grey talent art in the middle of the attacks bar, that can use chains built up by other colours to do loads of damage.
- The other is as an easy visual clue to what the art does. Purple ones (when positioned properly, in Shulk's case) 'break' the enemy, then you can use the green to knock them over for a few seconds and leave them vulnerable for more damage, then before that wears off you can use yellow to dizzy them. Purple -> Green -> Yellow basically.
- Chain Attacks are explained again later, but basically you build up the bar at the top of the screen by doing two things - timing those presses of B well in battle (where a circle appears and then a larger circle shrinks inside it), and using Shulk's arts from the proper position on enemies (sword pointing to the side, attack from the side, Back Slash, attack from the back). It'll do critical damage and charge your bar a bit.
- Affinity does a few things. For one it makes you more likely to extend chain attacks (basically after everyone's had a turn at attacking the higher the active party members' affinity the more chance you have that the first character on the list will get another go, and then the second... etc). It also lets you see special talk scenes between the two characters in question during the game if their affinity is high enough, and makes it easier to craft gems well.
- Raising it is done by those timed B presses in battle (you get more affinity if you press B when the shrinking circle is ON the blue circle, as opposed to when it's inside it), by giving characters presents they like, and you can raise the affinity between whichever character you're using as your party leader and any other character in your active party simply by accepting and completing quests. Occasionally the other character will chime in with a line of support and it'll go up.
- Skill Tree, just choose whichever of the lines of skills looks the most useful to you, and when you've learned that line move on to the next. It's not like you have many choices. Arts menu is just use your AP strengthening the arts you use most until you get too many arts to fit in your list, but that won't be for a little while if you're not far in. Just replace the ones you don't find yourself using very much.

Dunno if any of that will be any help at all.

Diffense

Pyrokai said:
Also, I don't know if it's just me and I suck at these kinds of RPGs, but I'm having a hard time grasping everything. I usually play turn-based RPGs and they're much less stressful and complicated for me. There is just SO much to the battle system as well as everything else that I'm finding it difficult to figure things out. Tiny things, usually, that add up to be massive headaches. I still don't really understand the different colored Arts and what the colors mean, even though I know color is important to the Arts, especially in Chain Attacks (which I also don't really understand just yet). In addition to small things regarding battles, I also don't understand much about Affinity for party members or for others and its importance, or how to raise it. And I haven't even LOOKED at the skill tree stuff or other Arts options in the menu. Far too much to take in. Any suggestions for this dunce, friends?

SecretMoblin's suggestion is good.
There are additional tutorials and hints that you may have missed.
Check the tutorials menu for items marked "NEW".

Also, be level-headed (rather than frantic) in battle even though they're not turn based.
I don't think you can dodge enemies' attacks by moving (certainly not the most powerful ones) so you only position for arts' distance requirements, bonus effects, and so that you can auto-attack.
BTW, the game gradually opens up the mechanics so don't worry about grasping everything right away.

I usually hoard every item in RPGs (thanks to FFIX), but I sold every piece of EQ that my characters were not wearing because it was frustrating me so much. Was this a bad move?

Quote said:
I usually hoard every item in RPGs (thanks to FFIX), but I sold every piece of EQ that my characters were not wearing because it was frustrating me so much. Was this a bad move?

Not really, no. You can't sell certain things, but pretty much everything is obtainable in some other way.

I play RPGs the same way, and it's annoying to always have this feeling that I'm going to run out of room in my inventory. They already made the inventory huge, why not just make it infinitely huge?

kunonabi

My copy has arrived in Phoenix. I should be getting my hands on it Monday. So psyched. I'm not sure if I should hold till I'm done with my backlog or just rip into it.

Hiltz

I'm a little over 8 hours in at level 25 inside this
big circular underground cave with a giant rotating machine in the center

When playing as Sharla, when exactly are you supposed to use her Cooling Off talent art?

Chanser

Hiltz said:
I'm a little over 8 hours in at level 25 inside this
big circular underground cave with a giant rotating machine in the center

When playing as Sharla, when exactly are you supposed to use her Cooling Off talent art?

The cooling off meter tells you.

Franchuzas87 said:
Talk about a difference, I just arrived at the point of no return at level 79, in more or less 110 hours.

And I won't procede of course, I still want to battle some named, level up a good bit in the process and do the sidequests that opened up recently (well at least those that don't require you to be level 90+ to survive for now >_<).

What I will do is save once I'm at a good enough level and just do the end one time to see what happens, then just continue the first playthrough until I'm satisfied with it (that or my shipments from Japan arrive and my focus will likely shift over to them).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally playing. An excellent game to be sure. Very traditional, but a good modernisation of the traditional formula.

I suppose the only two problems I have so far is that its a bit difficult to find NPCs for some quests, and the game really needs a monster-pedia.

Diffense

EatChildren said:
Finally playing. An excellent game to be sure. Very traditional, but a good modernisation of the traditional formula.

I suppose the only two problems I have so far is that its a bit difficult to find NPCs for some quests, and the game really needs a monster-pedia.

I didn't feel the need for the bestiary so much but I'll need to make my own Zelda:MM-type blue bombers notebook.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Diffense said:
I didn't feel the need for the bestiary so much but I'll need to make my own Zelda:MM-type blue bombers notebook.

I'd like one just for the sake of having one :p. The game seems to have absolutely everything else, it would have been a nice cherry on topic.

Diffense

EatChildren said:
I'd like one just for the sake of having one :p. The game seems to have absolutely everything else, it would have been a nice cherry on topic.

Yeah, it would have been pretty cool. No argument there :D
A theatre for major cutscenes would have been another nice touch.

syoaran

Diffense said:
Yeah, it would have been pretty cool. No argument there :D
A theatre for major cutscenes would have been another nice touch.

Youtube!

Not actually looking at the moment, afraid that I'll read a spoiler comment and it will be over for me.

I really can't believe what they managed to squeeze out of the Wii.

Technicaly, the best game this gen. unbelieveable

The polygon count must be absolutly insane in some scenes. All that with no serious framedrops.

I'm amazed

EatChildren said:

I was annoyed about that at first (and still am, to some extent), but the lack of a need to return to NPCs to complete quests makes up for it.

Apenheul

SecretMoblin said:
I was annoyed about that at first (and still am, to some extent), but the lack of a need to return to NPCs to complete quests makes up for it.

Well there are quite a few quests where you have to report back to the NPC, this appears as a new objective in your quest log so you can't exactly anticipate it.

Chanser said:
I sometimes use the affinity map, to find where they are and find out what time they appear.

That's what I do too, and then scanline the area and search for red exclamation-marks on the mini map.

Cwarrior

iamaustrian said:
I really can't believe what they managed to squeeze out of the Wii.

Technicaly, the best game this gen. unbelieveable

The polygon count must be absolutly insane in some scenes. All that with no serious framedrops.

I'm amazed

The engine is ridiculous
-huge connected world with very little load times
-tons of good looking different type of foliage on screen (also affected by the weather)
-crazy draw distance that you can see as far possible (all the way to the mechons glowing eyes)
-a ridiculous amount on screen at the same time from unique monsters, villagers ,foliage and buildings all loading up and running smoothly(at a good frame rate and none of that lod issues you find in other games).

Its doing stuff I wouldn't even expect from the more powerful systems.

Hum, reporting back to quest givers in Alcamoth is really tricky. I can never seem to find them since the area is so huge and homogenous. There's just not a lot of stuff you could use for orientation.

Ledsen

EatChildren said:

Wait what? I'd say it's the complete opposite of traditional. It adopts nearly every modern RPG (whether j, w, or mmo) feature there is.

Top Bottom