• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

wrowa

slaughterking said:
Hum, reporting back to quest givers in Alcamoth is really tricky. I can never seem to find them since the area is so huge and homogenous. There's just not a lot of stuff you could use for orientation.
Nearly every NPC spawns at 06:00 or 18:00
at one of the warps
; you just have to check those :)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
My god. I was unable to play much of last week, putting it off until this weekend. How does this game keep getting better? This game is going to ruin me!

ksamedi

Hi guys,

Anyone know where
cheryl's sons equipment can be found? I found the first and the third one but can't seem to find the second one. I must have missed an area or someting

wrowa said:
Nearly every NPC spawns at 06:00 or 18:00
at one of the warps
; you just have to check those :)
Hm, I guess I'll need to take a closer look then. I was starting my search at 12:00 walking around pretty much everywhere and I could only complete one quest. :I

HolyTaco

wrowa said:
Very traditional?

Doesn't really divert from your standard JRPG structure. Not a bad thing though, they've done a fantastic job modernizing it.

Took a break from this for a bit because of Deus Ex :( Couldn't help myself

Bennettt2

played 30 hrs now and on lv.40. I'm up to
High Entia Tomb
and am having trouble fighting
Tyrea and the Telethia
. Any tips on who I should be using and some tips and strategies??

ksamedi said:
Hi guys,

Anyone know where
cheryl's sons equipment can be found? I found the first and the third one but can't seem to find the second one. I must have missed an area or someting

If I remember correctly, it's
at a secret location in Gaur plains. The entrance is at a cave and the location itself is a cliff that looks out over the big lake. I don't remember the specific place where you find the entrance though, sorry.

This is the first game I am running on Dolphin (build 7714). Is anyone else having the game go into lo-res mode in certain areas? -- The first dungeon area for example.

ksamedi

Out_Of_Ammo said:
If I remember correctly, it's
at a secret location in Gaur plains. The entrance is at a cave and the location itself is a cliff that looks out over the big lake. I don't remember the specific place where you find the entrance though, sorry.

Thanks that will help. Atleast I know where to look now :)

EatChildren said:
I'd like one just for the sake of having one :p. The game seems to have absolutely everything else, it would have been a nice cherry on topic.

It deserves a bestiary, some of the enemy designs are absolutely awesome.

Franchuzas87 said:
Game finished in 69:41 hours, level 82.

5688_e713.gif

To my tastes, a truly new masterpiece of the genre. Quantity, quality and very good design decisions.

Out of curiosity, and without spoilers, was it hard/difficult?

ksamedi said:
Thanks that will help. At least I know where to look now :)

The entrance to the cave is here. You have to climb down a little on the right.

Bennettt2 said:
played 30 hrs now and on lv.40. I'm up to
High Entia Tomb
and am having trouble fighting
Tyrea and the Telethia
. Any tips on who I should be using and some tips and strategies??

I used Dunban/Shulk/Sharla and concentrated on the Telethia first. Dunban should be able to draw the aggro of both and with Sharla his HP should never dip particularly low. Then it's just a matter of chipping away the Telethia's HP until it falls, the Tyrea is a walk in the park.

squall23

SecretMoblin said:
I was annoyed about that at first (and still am, to some extent), but the lack of a need to return to NPCs to complete quests makes up for it.
You obviously haven't done the
Frontier Village
sidequests. Those ones are especially bad due to how the place is designed.

zoukka

Huge doesn't describe these enviroments. Imagine the calm lands in FFX and multiply it by x10 times... no 20 times. And not just horisontally, but vertically. It's insane.

The only major gripe I have with the game, is the fugly armor design. No matter what you equip, the characters look like clowns. This game would be perfect with a bit more coherent art direction ala Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

squall23 said:
Frontier Village

I literally just started them... yikes. It's a beautiful place, but I think I'm going to be sick of it soon.

wrowa

HolyTaco said:
Doesn't really divert from your standard JRPG structure. Not a bad thing though, they've done a fantastic job modernizing it.
Define JRPG structure. It definitely doesn't have many of what has become stupid staples of the genre; e.g. tube gameplay or fences that are so huge that you can't possibly jump over them.

squall23 said:
Frontier Village
It's one of the easier places to find NPCs, I think. Due to how small the individual levels are you can easily spot the red exclamation marks on the map without searching much.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hmm, pop in is more obvious in Makna Forest even though view distances don't tend to be as huge as in something like Gaur plains due to the design. I guess it's this new type of foliage's LOD models that aren't as well done so their point of change is more obvious? Oh well, it's a minor complaint.

Mistle

Diprosalic said:
is this game hard or do i just suck at it? 3h in and i died atleast 10 times.
What level are you compared to the enemies? Generally, considering you're at the very beginning, it'd do you well to do a good amount of quests, fight the majority of enemies you walk by, and explore (you get exp for discovering new areas).

You can slow down on all that stuff a bit after you get to a decent level (except exploring). It's probably better to anyway, so you don't become overpowered.

zoukka

Diprosalic said:
is this game hard or do i just suck at it? 3h in and i died atleast 10 times.

Don't fight enemies if they have yellow or red colour in their name. Keep the aggro on Rein and off Shulk.

zoukka said:
Don't fight enemies if they have yellow or red colour in their name. Keep the aggro on Rein and off Shulk.

i'm kinda color blind so it's hard to differentiate. my general rule is fight monsters 3 level below mine and i survive :).

RPGCrazied said:
Yeah. First time importing anything. I didn't know what sites were the fastest and all that. I'm guessing GAME is, seems to get the game to US customers within a week, give or take a day or 2. If I have to import Last Story, it definitely won't be through Zavvi. Either GAME or Shopto.

Anyone in thehut group I'll be passing on.

Dude I ordered from Game and it was dispatched on the 17th. So far zippo.

This week I say Believe

Been playing Deus Ex to pass the time but even that doesnt fill in that JRPG void

Funny how the best jRPG this year (or past few years!) and the best wRPG this year - Deus Ex (nod to TW2) have come out at the same time.

Feels like I'm in RPG Heaven!

Also now that everybody who wanted to play this in english has imported there is like 0% chance for NoA to bring it to the US, right?

MicH

JumpingTheGun said:
Dude I ordered from Game and it was dispatched on the 17th. So far zippo.

This week I say Believe

Been playing Deus Ex to pass the time but even that doesnt fill in that JRPG void
I live in mainland Europe and I still don't have my limited edition which shipped on the 16th from GAME. Fuck.

Man are the some of the sidequests
to unlock the 4th skill trees are a pain well not so much doing them but rather sorting out all the prerequisite quests, I guess they wouldn't be "secret" skill trees otherwise
. Its seems worth it though as
those trees are much quicker to master and some of the skills are nice...did I read it right, "battle party:double attacks always critical", that seems rather good

I finally have a populace up to 5 affinity stars.
The Hidden Village (I guess it being later in the game means you either need a lower reputation to get this one high or the quests themselves give a lot)
, the rest are on 4 stars...or 2
well, only Colony 6

Play time-wise I've got a similar time to Franchuzas87 but I don't think I'm that near the end. Well, I can tell from my character levels
Level 65
and I'm overleveled for this area.

finalozzo said:
can i use the red pad of the limited on my computer?
Using Glovpie and PPJoy (provided you have a bluetooth adapter) you can use it for PC games in general (the PPJoy step is a pain under windows 7 but it was the only way I could get the analogue sticks to fully function, Glovepie on its own works fine for buttons and the analogue sticks acting digital). Theres also this if you would rather plug straight into USB and not having to use the two programs I mentioned.

If you're emulating with Dolphin, I think that handles it properly when plugged in.

MicH

RPGCrazied said:
I know. :( Even Dues Ex isn't helping. :lol
Haha, I restarted Valkyriia Chronicles yesterday just to pass time until Monday. Didn't make it very far, though. Christ that game is hard.

Mael

OMG, finished the mines earlier....Woah it's awesome!
It's probably one of these times I actually care for the foes I'm fighting against.
Charisatic and all that

zoner said:
No but their third party merchants do.
Thats true, but the shipping sure is expensive but they seem to be the only ones with stock (game.co.uk only have limited edition in stock...oh and hardware bundled copies* and last I checked the other places had stock issues) and it will probably be airmail (so on par with TheHut group).

*-they don't ship hardware out of the UK so taking their only stock of the game and slapping it onto hardware seems like a dumb decision to me

Finalow

Starwolf_UK said:
--

Using Glovpie and PPJoy (provided you have a bluetooth adapter) you can use it for PC games in general (the PPJoy step is a pain under windows 7 but it was the only way I could get the analogue sticks to fully function, Glovepie on its own works fine for buttons and the analogue sticks acting digital). Theres also this if you would rather plug straight into USB and not having to use the two programs I mentioned.

If you're emulating with Dolphin, I think that handles it properly when plugged in.
is it easier to use a 360 wireless pad?

Come on, the drop rate for Black Liver Beans is super low, I spent 2 hours searching around the penultimate area of the game, absolutely none popped up...and I need 3 of them ;_;
Will try again in a few hours when my batteries are full again ><

TheExodu5

Banned
I use that Mayflash CC adapter. The CC Pro is much nicer than the 360 controller for this game, IMO. The triggers/bumpers kind of suck for targetting.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
AAARGH.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong for the Giants' Key quest (Satorl Swamp)?

I have to go to the plateau at the Dark Swamp in Satorl, which I'm pretty sure is through the door w/ the claw marks that's behind the lizardman's throne in the fortress. Problem is I can't get the stupid door to open. Am I suppose to do something else first? I've tried beating the lizardmen in the room first, and have tried accessing the door w/o beating them, neither are working.

Jucksalbe

Banned
HaRyu said:
AAARGH.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong for the Giants' Key quest (Satorl Swamp)?

You have to go somewhere else first.
Between the fortress and the Dark Swamp there's a way that leads to that plateau. On the plateau you will see the lizards you have to kill. After that you have to go to the fortress.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Starwolf_UK said:
Thats true, but the shipping sure is expensive but they seem to be the only ones with stock (game.co.uk only have limited edition in stock...oh and hardware bundled copies* and last I checked the other places had stock issues) and it will probably be airmail (so on par with TheHut group).

*-they don't ship hardware out of the UK so taking their only stock of the game and slapping it onto hardware seems like a dumb decision to me
I import 3200 yen Kamen Rider toys all the time. Expensive shipping is nothing new to me.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Jucksalbe said:
You have to go somewhere else first.
Between the fortress and the Dark Swamp there's a way that leads to that plateau. On the plateau you will see the lizards you have to kill. After that you have to go to the fortress.

Gah, okay, I see that part on the map.
I thought the way to the plateau was through that door. I still have no idea how to get to the plateau though.

EDIT: No wait, nvm, found it. :p

Reveirg

This game is so good. SO GOOD.

Some random thoughts and impressions after ~12 hours of playtime:

-Everytime Reyn says "Let's mash some mechons!" I get a WAKKA flashback...

-Everytime the battle theme starts, I get the impression for a second that I'm finally playing a new home console Kingdom Hearts >_>. (I can dream.)

-Dungeon design isn't as good as the field design, but still miles ahead the majority of RPGs

-I can't believe I'm finally playing a new Takahashi game, and Xenoblade has MORE of its trademarks than some people led to believe. First few hours and setting spoilers :
The ominous premonitions, the mysterious artifact (monado/kos-mos/weltall), the machines vs. humans dilemma, the giant robot battles, etc.

-Collectopaedia is pretty much awesome.

-The battle voices are cheesy as hell. I swear I literally laugh out loud everytime I hear WHAT A BUNCH OF JOKAHHHS. I think that's a good thing!

-There are a LOT of (good) musics that are NOT on the soundtrack. Bonus OST one day?

I gotta get back to the game...

Top Bottom