• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Reveirg said:
-There are a LOT of (good) musics that are NOT on the soundtrack. Bonus OST one day?
There's a full Xenoblade soundtrack in Japan. Consider the NoE download one just a sampler..

RPGCrazied

zoner said:
Curious for you importers who preordered. Who ended up being the most reliable site? I need to know for Last Story.

Probably GAME. I wouldn't do Zavvi or thehut group though. I guess you get wait you pay for, cheap free shipping will take close to a month to receive it.

Alrus

RPGCrazied said:
Probably GAME. I wouldn't do Zavvi or thehut group though. I guess you get wait you pay for, cheap free shipping will take close to a month to receive it.

It hasn't even been two weeks since your order shipped...

RPGCrazied

Twilight Princess said:
I'm about to start deus ex. It will be a great game but I dunno if it would be as good as the best RPG of all time.

It's fun, but not taking Xenoblade off my mind. Once I get Xenoblade, Deus Ex will go into a pile I'll probably not play for a long time.

woober

Twilight Princess said:
I'm about to start deus ex. It will be a great game but I dunno if it would be as good as the best RPG of all time.

You'll be surprised. I played 20 hours of Xenoblade, but ever since Deus Ex I haven't stopped. About 30 hours into Deus Ex. The writing and freedom is amazing. Either way, there needs to be more RPGs like both games.

35 hours. Location:
Valak Mountains.

Definitely the worst region of the game so far. Hard to navigate even with the map, annoying to walk back up because of the incline messing with the camera and seemingly random landmark placement. Considering there's a boss battle at the Great Glacier why not make it a landmark, instead of a miss-able, tiny little spire to the side? Luckily it's the shortest area yet, although I did enjoy the views and the transition to night was nice as well.

Story/Location Boss Battle:
Finally Mumkhar reveals himself, despite the fact that it's been obvious for at least the last 10 hours, but the reveal of the new Mechon Egil made up for that. Having never played a Takahashi game before I'm enjoying that the story now is nothing like the standard affair I thought the game could have verged into, with the Mechon actually being Hom's in Mech suits/Telethia/Assassins/Giants/Plotting/Ether instead of just evil Cockney robots trying to take over the world.

I did have a complete blank moment on the boss though.
I ploughed through the area and reached Mumkhar at level 44 (he's level 48) and got slaughtered with Shulk just hitting a load of 1's. So I spend a good hour or 2 doing some sidequests in the Mountains and repairing the Makna Forest bridge. So just before I come off I decide to give Mumkhar another go at level 46 and proceed to be slaughtered for half the battle. Only then did I remember that the Monado had been unlocked so that it can hurt the Faced Mechon, so a simple Monado Enchant and the rest was insanely easy. I felt like such an idiot for not having remembered that sooner...

Reveirg

BocoDragon said:
There's a full Xenoblade soundtrack in Japan. Consider the NoE download one just a sampler..

I AM speaking about the "full" soundtrack from Japan. I've listened to it many times and there are some other tracks in the game.

Dascu

45 hours or so, just beat
Metal Face at the Galahad Fortress entrance.

I think I'll go back and do some side-quests before venturing further though.

RPGCrazied said:
It was shipped on the 15th. Tomorrow it'll be 13 days. I receive mail on Saturday. Don't you?
but you won't receive packages (unless you paid extra for special shipping) especially in your area that's why saturday don't count.

KarmaCow

Suburban_Nooblet said:
Is it a must to use a classic controller or will the wii mote suffice?

CC has better camera control but you lose the ability to (easily) move and select different attacks.

Wiimote+nunchuck has awkward camera control but you can move around and select attacks at the same time.

I went for the Wiimote+nunchuck just because I don't have a CCPro.

Side quest help needed:
I went exploring and beat a unique monster, then afterwards I got given a quest to defeat the beast but obviously it's no longer there because I killed it before taking on the quest. Did I break the game?

It's really hard to pick any real flaws in this game.

Gem customization is maybe one of them. It takes too long to do a proper armor comparison because you have to take out the gems first and then re-equip them again which can be a bit annoying. Also it takes too long to check what the invividual gems do (Press + multiple times).

Varion

PumpkinPie said:
Side quest help needed:
I went exploring and beat a unique monster, then afterwards I got given a quest to defeat the beast but obviously it's no longer there because I killed it before taking on the quest. Did I break the game?
Nope, the only enemies that don't respawn are the ones that don't appear unless you accept a quest. Uniques can just take a while to reappear.

bubnbob

Banned
Just beat it... 53 hours, Level 79

The game keeps on throwing the curveballs until the very end... wild

Absolutely amazing game. I feel so bad for anyone who doesn't get to play this.

jdevil99

Is it sad that my powers out from this hurricane n i got a generator finally, what is the first thing i did...plug in the tv n wii to that bad boy n play some xenoblade.Pardon the grammatical errors, I'm posting this from my phone since I don't have normal interwebz right now.

Alrus

schennmu said:
Gem customization is maybe one of them. It takes too long to do a proper armor comparison because you have to take out the gems first and then re-equip them again which can be a bit annoying.

While it's not perfect, you can equip an already slotted gem on another equipment, the game will just ask you for confirmation. Gems on unequipped gear are also shown with a grayed out "E" on them, so you can "easily" find them.

Alrus said:
While it's not perfect, you can equip an already slotted gem on another equipment, the game will just ask you for confirmation. Gems on unequipped gear are also shown with a grayed out "E" on them, so you can "easily" find them.

I know, but that's only useful if you know that you want to switch to a specific piece of equipment. When checking random loot it doesn't help too much.

PumpkinPie said:
Side quest help needed:
Save and keep reloading your save. It will show up in a minute or two.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
but you won't receive packages (unless you paid extra for special shipping) especially in your area that's why saturday don't count.

I have a big mailbox. I get dvds, and games in the mail all the time no problem. Its coming from USPS. It'll come in the regular mail. So, Saturdays do count.

Gvaz

Banned
I have too much rpg to play right now and school starts the 9th.

15 hours into xenoblade, 10 hours into DXHR (played the leak), and I have the TOR beta to mess with too :(

ezekial45

Banned
bubnbob said:
Just beat it... 53 hours, Level 79

The game keeps on throwing the curveballs until the very end... wild

Absolutely amazing game. I feel so bad for anyone who doesn't get to play this.

:(

I'm still pulling out hope for NOA to publish. As long as it sold well in the UK, there's a decent chance it'll be brought here.

As a massive fan of FFXII, this game seems right up my alley.

RPGCrazied said:
I have a big mailbox. I get dvds, and games in the mail all the time no problem. Its coming from USPS. It'll come in the regular mail. So, Saturdays do count.
And did you get it yet ? LOL. Thought so.

Bout 45 hrs in on lvl 44. Just back from
Prison Island

I'm just fully using Reyn, Shulk and Sharla. Once I like a party team, I don't like changing :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Katana_Strikes said:
Bout 45 hrs in on lvl 44. Just back from
Prison Island

I'm just fully using Reyn, Shulk and Sharla. Once I like a party team, I don't like changing :p

Reyn, might not be the best choice, but I don't think I could live without 'NOW IT'S REYN TIME!'. I'll stick with that team as well.

Reveirg said:
So what's with all the items? Should I sell them or keep them all in case there's a quest that needs them later?

I just kept them. I've played 35 hours and I've only just ran out of inventory space.

Hold onto them until you run out of inventory space then sort them by cost and sell the least valuable/most common* ones first to free up a few pages. They others might be worth keeping round for trade fodder. Its not like you have much need for money (and if you do quests you'll be knee deep in it) as the only goods worth buying in shops are skill manuals (and rarely equipment but loot you find is nearly always better or will be within 10 minutes of starting an area).
*-I think uncommon have a white X in the background

So 73 hours in and I had my first instance of the (game mechanic)
spikes
killing me. Was quite amusing actually (what happened, no story spoilers or anything)
Haste+Double attack vs. Spikes that counter physical attacks with damage=quick death by auto-attack

I had hours of my morning and afternoon whisked away from me in the blink of an eye today. I decided I was going to do some sidequests and I ended up getting tons from Frontier village, before I realised it I must have spent 2 hours in the jungle alone looking into every nook and cranny (and trying to get 8 of those freaking hode planks).
The point is I haven't had such a lengthy non interrupted gaming session in years, this game is just that good.

Gvaz

Banned
Reveirg said:
So what's with all the items? Should I sell them or keep them all in case there's a quest that needs them later?

equipment you can sell them easily enough. hold on to everything else like collectables, gem fragments, etc

wrowa

Nocturnowl said:
I had hours of my morning and afternoon whisked away from me in the blink of an eye today. I decided I was going to do some sidequests and I ended up getting tons from Frontier village, before I realised it I must have spent 2 hours in the jungle alone looking into every nook and cranny (and trying to get 8 of those freaking hode planks).
The point is I haven't had such a lengthy non interrupted gaming session in years, this game is just that good.
Ha! I spent my afternoon the same way. I also killed a certain Nebulae roundabout a dozen times to get two pieces of an item.

Apenheul

I've just reached
Prison Island
about 33 hours in. At this point the game is quite low on exploration and it's nothing but intense battles, but that's okay. I expect it to open up again after this area.

wrowa

In which area can I find an Empress Beetle?

And regarding a sidequest in Colony 9's military district:
Is it possible to collect the sword after you already collected the shield? And where can the sword be found?

Apenheul said:
I've just reached
Prison Island
about 33 hours in. At this point the game is quite low on exploration and it's nothing but intense battles, but that's okay. I expect it to open up again after this area.
I don't think that's true. There are tons of quests in
Alcamoth
. I think I spent roughly 10 hours in that area before moving on.

Neo C.

The game is surprisingly quite hard, I died several times already. Too bad I ain't got the time to play in the next few days.

KarmaCow said:
CC has better camera control but you lose the ability to (easily) move and select different attacks.

Wiimote+nunchuck has awkward camera control but you can move around and select attacks at the same time.

I went for the Wiimote+nunchuck just because I don't have a CCPro.

I have a Wavebird... Has anyone given that a shot yet?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Neo C. said:
The game is surprisingly quite hard, I died several times already. Too bad I ain't got the time to play in the next few days.

I find it pretty easy, mostly because I've been completely the side quest. The only other thing that holds the party back in boss fights is Sharla neglecting her healing duties for too long.

wrowa said:
In which area can I find an Empress Beetle?
In
Frontier Village. I found them near the lake on the bottom level.

wrowa said:
And regarding a sidequest in Colony 9's military district:
Is it possible to collect the sword after you already collected the shield? And where can the sword be found?
The Nopon at the end of Satorl Marsh (in front of those huge statues you had to climb) has the sword.

Top Bottom