• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

finalozzo said:
i'm seeing that a chain combo isn't worth it, it's better to use those bars for reviving your allies. Or at least i can say this after 7 hours.
If you're wasting those bars reviving allies, you need to do some more quests.

Chain combos rack up insane damage and is the best way to take down anything.

finalozzo said:
i'm seeing that a chain combo isn't worth it, it's better to use those bars for reviving your allies. Or at least i can say this after 7 hours.
They can get extremely powerful if you're matching colors with the right skills and your affinities are high enough to keep the combo going for a little longer.
But yeah, they weren't much of a game changer at the beginning of the game.

Varion

finalozzo said:
They can do pretty crazy amounts of damage if you use the colour chains well. I can do about 30,000 with a critical Backslash (just to give an idea of relative damage output), but I think my record damage for a complete chain combo is something like 250,000. Just pick a colour and use it, if you're in the right position for one of Shulk's arts then all the better, and then mix in talent arts if they're available because they can take advantage of any colour's chain multiplier.

Zafir

EvilMario said:
I was shocked when this happened. I had a good pace going and
I think I could have won!
Haha, I know. I was exactly the same. I was owning him, and the game decided to end it and make it seem like we weren't winning.

bubnbob

Banned
LaneDS said:
Could anyone explain what carries into new game+? Unless it is somehow spoiler-y.

Levels
Learned Arts
Affinities with Characters (NOT NPCs)
Skills
Affinity Coins
Money
Equipped Weapons and Armor
30 Weapons of your own choice (that aren't equipped - why? no idea.)
Equipped Armors
30 Armors of your choice per category
60 Collectable Items of your choice (blue orbs)
All Items (Art Books, Gems, Ether Crystals, Collection Items - NOT Key Items for obvious reasons)
Some achievements, not the Trials I think
And a special weapon that I won't mention

finalozzo said:

Chain Attacks can save you easily in a pinch. Early on you may not see it, but do not disregard it.

LM4sure

Banned
I just got the game on Friday and I've put about 20 hours into it thus far over the last couple of days. This is time I should spend studying for my final on Tuesday, but this game is just too good. I probably haven't played a jrpg in over 10 years so I guess I was long overdue.

I'll probably put in 100+ hours into this game as I'm not that great at rpgs, and I like to try to complete every quest.

Flib

Varion said:
About 25. You may or may not know but bear in mind the fight ends after you've taken off about 1/5 of his health.
Great, thanks, that's where I am. I guess I just have to focus on less of a long term strategy then.

This game just gets better and better. I wish I had a PC capable of running Dolphin. I'd love to see some of the Vistas in a higher resolution. Can't stop playing though. Running around filling in the map is compulsive :)

LaneDS

bubnbob said:
Levels
Learned Arts
Affinities with Characters (NOT NPCs)
Skills
Affinity Coins
Money
Equipped Weapons and Armor
30 Weapons of your own choice (that aren't equipped - why? no idea.)
Equipped Armors
30 Armors of your choice per category
60 Collectable Items of your choice (blue orbs)
All Items (Art Books, Gems, Ether Crystals, Collection Items - NOT Key Items for obvious reasons)
Some achievements, not the Trials I think
And a special weapon that I won't mention

Chain Attacks can save you easily in a pinch. Early on you may not see it, but do not disregard it.

Excellent, thank you. The quests are really starting to take their toll on me (around 40 hours in) and I'm contemplating blasting through the rest of the game and maybe doing new game+ for the quests at a more leisurely pace later on.

Kerrinck

Does the game have a point of no return regarding the end game? If yes, do they make it obvious? Trying to do most of the quests when I reach that point.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
Imagine you get your game and your wii just won't read it lol. that would suck a lot. but good luck. am sure this is the week!

It should. My Wii is less than a year old, and just played Twilight Princess on it. I've rented SSBB and it works fine.

I should be ok. :p Good luck to you too.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
wrowa said:
Ha! I spent my afternoon the same way. I also killed a certain Nebulae roundabout a dozen times to get two pieces of an item.

Which is the enemy that have Hode Planks?
If you can put a pic of that enemy will be awesome.

bubnbob

Banned
Kerrinck said:
Does the game have a point of no return regarding the end game? If yes, do they make it obvious? Trying to do most of the quests when I reach that point.

Yes, it's literally the very end of the game. It even says "you can't save past this point" so you can't accidentally overwrite your game. Don't worry.

However there are some "events" that occur in the story that affect quests. For some reason it didn't give me the "warning" that everyone said it did... so I can't answer these. But they are relatively late in the story.

Kjellson

Even if I'm quite far into the game I have to admit there are still some things I don't understand.

Does affinity between the different characters affect the quests? Like can I only get certain quests if Sharla and Reyn has high affinity or what? Do you get better affinity when you have these people in the party?

Sorry, but I often get confused in RPGs when it comes to these things.

bubnbob

Banned
Kjellson said:
Even if I'm quite far into the game I have to admit there are still some things I don't understand.

Does affinity between the different characters affect the quests? Like can I only get certain quests if Sharla and Reyn has high affinity or what? Do you get better affinity when you have these people in the party?

Sorry, but I often get confused in RPGs when it comes to these things.

Some quests involve affinity between characters. Some quests can only be activated by talking to someone with a certain character - they will usually mention a hint. You get affinity from activating the quest (hearts) - but you can also raise affinity by just giving gifts, encouraging them, etc.

Don't overthink it... the game does a good job of explaining things. Read the tutorials.

I have never played RPG I was thinking of getting this when it got here in the mean time I checked walk through videos the game looks soooooooooo complicated. I might not get it because i do not have patience but game does look amazing and very very well done.

crazy monkey said:
I have never played RPG I was thinking of getting this when it got here in the mean time I checked walk through videos the game looks soooooooooo complicated. I might not get it because i do not have patience but game does look amazing and very very well done.

It's not as complicated as many modern RPGs, and the in-game tutorials are short, descriptive, and helpful.

Luigiv

crazy monkey said:
Yeah that's RPGs for you. You'll never know if you'll like the genre or not unless you try, though.

I'd be really amazed if anyone managed to find all the quests on their own in this game. I hope there's a guide soon for all the named NPC quests at least.

Varion

bubnbob said:
However there are some "events" that occur in the story that affect quests. For some reason it didn't give me the "warning" that everyone said it did... so I can't answer these. But they are relatively late in the story.
Oh so there isn't actually a warning on quests expiring? Ugh. Could've sworn someone in this thread says there was.

I'm trying to get every sidequest I can do at this point done now, just in case.

SecretMoblin said:
It's not as complicated as many modern RPGs, and the in-game tutorials are short, descriptive, and helpful.

That is what I was hearing that is why I started reading and looking at videos but the amount of detail is so immense. The game is amazing from ever point of view but for me i guess rpg will be always hard.

Luigiv said:
Yeah that's RPGs for you. You'll never know if you'll like the genre or not unless you try, though.

Ya I will try once in comes to NA which at this point is just wishing. I am not going to import though. One thing I learned though you need to be dedicated to play RPGS

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
15 hours in...
I am now back in the what's-the-name-of-the-camp after Juju got his stupid ass kidnapped by the talking Mechon
. Am I going too fast or too slow...? It feels like I've spent a lot of time just running around here and there, hahaha.

A couple of questions:

• Where the fuck is the hunt monster (Violent Andante) that you have to find on the Sky Stage? I've searched everywhere during night and day but I couldn't find it for the life of me.
  • Let's just say the party is A (Party Leader), B, and C. If I want to raise affinity between B and C, do I have to switch the party leader to B or to C?
  • I am not that clear about Gem Crafting... anyone can explain this for me? :eek:

Luigiv

crazy monkey said:
That is what I was hearing that is why I started reading and looking at videos but the amount of detail is so immense. The game is amazing from ever point of view but for me i guess rpg will be always hard.

Ya I will try once in comes to NA which at this point is just wishing. I am not going to import though. One thing I learned though you need to be dedicated to play RPGS
Fair enough. In that case why you give an older classic a shot? Chrono Trigger is fairly straight forward and you can get it on Wii VC for cheap enough.

Luigiv said:
Fair enough. In that case why you give an older classic a shot? Chrono Trigger is fairly straight forward and you can get it on Wii VC for cheap enough.

That I might try. The closes I have played to rpg is zelda and paper mario so this will be good intro I think.

bubnbob

Banned
Varion said:
Oh so there isn't actually a warning on quests expiring? Ugh. Could've sworn someone in this thread says there was.

I'm trying to get every sidequest I can do at this point done now, just in case.

Well I'm gonna spoiler these, but I will guess the events that happen in the story

Agniratha - this place explodes after a story event, and there are quests

Alcamoth (and perhaps the Eryth Sea area) - this place gets eviscerated in a story event, and there are quests

Sword Valley - story related event that happens around the time of Agniratha, this place is unavailable after

I never got a particular "warning" about quests, but I never focused on quests to notice that some were gone or expired. However, these two major parts are what I guess the "missable" stuff.

If I had to make an absolute guess, the "event" happens
When you are meant to go fight Egil, after learning the history
- so any time before this is good

Alright 5AM, time to stop for today :D

122:41, level 82, went on a named killing spree for affinity coins. I finally have 5 stars for every factions except one at 3 'cause I didn't tackle this until very late.
At least the city is complete now, got every material to have everything at level 5, just need the rest of the immigrants to find and get the remaining 15%

As for immediate plans, I'll stay around a certain area (heavy spoilers)
(Alcamoth)
that is filled with new enemies Lv87-88-89 and level up a bit ^^

Penguin

Okay I know the game tells you if some sidequests are timed or not.

But does it give you any type of head's up as to when the quest will expire?

I keep halting progress in the story to make sure I complete some quests before going on for fear of them expiring on me.

DOH!

Just saw the question was asked above.

Nevermind me! :(

Varion

bubnbob said:
I never got a particular "warning" about quests, but I never focused on quests to notice that some were gone or expired. However, these two major parts are what I guess the "missable" stuff.

If I had to make an absolute guess, the "event" happens
When you are meant to go fight Egil, after learning the history
- so any time before this is good
Could be, not up to that bit yet but ATWiki at least suggests that (location name and story spoilers for the late game):

- When you get to the top floor of Mechonis Field and discover the first landmark there (just before the annoying boss) the Great Sword Valley quests are timed out.
- When you finish Agniratha the quests at the camp in Mechonis Field are timed out.
- When you finish at Mechonis Core (signalled by a conversation with Migoal or whatever they called him in the English version) Alcamoth and a number of other quests are timed out. This seems to be the most major event, as a bunch of other quests crop up elsewhere when you get here too.

Will have to confirm when I get there I guess.

Penguin said:
Okay I know the game tells you if some sidequests are timed or not.
But does it give you any type of head's up as to when the quest will expire?
I keep halting progress in the story to make sure I complete some quests before going on for fear of them expiring on me.
The first set of timeouts you're warned about, the second time you end up in a place where most of the quests are timed at
Alcamoth
it seems like the answer is no. Put it this way though, if you're not facing dungeons full of enemies over L50 yet, it's not happening too soon. When you are, ask again if you're worried.

Hiltz

I'm currently at 15 hours in at level 28 and have basically been using
Sharla as the party leader most of the time. The story is getting better and better with some good plot twists too and the Mechon sure are a bunch of jerks. Anyway, I'm at the part right after the cut scene where Dunban and that old guy with the bandanna help fight off Metal Face when that Telethia creature appears.

I just got
Dunban as a playable party member but is he really worth using and if so, which party member should I switch out ? Also, should his role be more of a tank like Reyne or just as a straight up fighter like Shulk?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hiltz said:
-snip-

I just got
Dunban as a playable party member but is he really worth using and if so, which party member should I switch out ? Also, should his role be more of a tank like Reyne or just as a straight up fighter like Shulk?

Dude....... fix up your spoiler tag :\

Varion

Hiltz said:
I just got
Yes, yes he really is, he's one of the best characters in the game. Boost his agility as much as possible and chuck Reyn out for him would be my recommendation. He does great damage, has lots of useful aura arts (and a knock down ability to replace the fact you'd be losing Reyn's Wild Down), and his agility boosted means he'll dodge a lot of the time. Stick him on his leftmost skill tree, make skill links with characters that have agility boosting skills, etc, and by the end he'll be an amazing tank that just dodges everything.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm about 29 hours in and I think I'm going to take a break. I don't want this game to ever end, so I'm going to go about my business and play sparingly this week.

I just bought the component cables, just for this game. I hope it makes a difference.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
UltimaKilo said:
I'm about 29 hours in and I think I'm going to take a break. I don't want this game to ever end, so I'm going to go about my business and play sparingly this week.

I just bought the component cables, just for this game. I hope it makes a difference.

Me too. It definitely makes a difference--the colors are more pronounced and the text looks less washed up and more readable + pleasant to look at.

Eiji

Getting ready to go to
Prison Island :D

The game looks soooooo good at 1080p on Dolphin with 4x native res!

cacildo

I have a question, i dont think it needs spoiler tags, but the awnser sure does.

Ok, its a well known fact (even for people who arent playing the game) that the characters live in the body of a giant godlike creature.

Im at 37 hours and i still dont know the answer to this: how does the gravity works?

Do the giant monster have a center of gravity on its own or all of the action im seeing takes the botton of the ocean below the monster as a center of gravity?

I was pretty sure it worked with the ocean below as the center. However i just got to the top of Nopon village, looked up and said "hey... this sky looks like an ocean"

duckroll

cacildo said:
Im at 37 hours and i still dont know the answer to this: how does the gravity works?

It works like how gravity works anywhere else. If you fall down, you die. I'm not sure what you're confused about.

LaneDS

duckroll said:
It works like how gravity works anywhere else. If you fall down, you die. I'm not sure what you're confused about.

He's asking about how there is an ocean
that floats in the sky above a rain forest. And I think the answer is "it's a game with all sorts of things that can't be explained logically"

duckroll

LaneDS said:
He's asking about how there is an ocean
that floats in the sky above a rain forest. And I think the answer is "it's a game with all sorts of things that can't be explained logically"

I think there is a logical answer to that particular question. I'll just rather not answer it right now.

Gravity works normally everywhere else. The center of gravity is the ground below the Bionis and the Mechonis.

Guess-y what I bought yesterday?
After checking 3 different retailers in mah city, went into Game and found they had a single copy, one with the cc pro.

I buckled immediately and bought it.

hiro4

Finally got two hours in to the game.
It is still as awesome as I remember from the Japanese version.

But man, this game is not made for SDTV's.
All the texts are too friggin small. Never had this problem with Wii games before, PS3 and 360 games okay, but a Wii game where I feel the need to buy a HDTV?

What is the world coming to.

Top Bottom