• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

duckroll

wrowa said:
Fake Edit: I just realized, Xenoblade isn't written by Kojima at all. He's the director together with Takahashi. Huh. That's a first for him, I guess.

Huh? What are you talking about. Koh Kojima mostly works on quest design and gameplay planning. BKO is the only game he was ever a scenario writer for. His role in Xenoblade is normal. His role in BKO is not.

MechaX

Tathanen said:
You need to find something to do with your life that is not Playing A Video Game. It will come when it comes, and it will be "oh nice." This waiting day after day just has to stop. Just leave the thread, come back when it shows up.

This. Or at the very least, you should just play another video game in the meantime. Counting down the days for any piece of mail is usually pretty destructive, especially for a site that is notoriously slow on its cheaper shipping.

Duderz

Banned
About 5 hours in, and I'm just about to
leave Colony 9

No way they actually
killed Fiora for good, right? I really liked her. :(

And so far, so, so good.

wrowa

duckroll said:
Huh? What are you talking about. Koh Kojima mostly works on quest design and gameplay planning. BKO is the only game he was ever a scenario writer for. His role in Xenoblade is normal. His role in BKO is not.
Which other game has he directed?

See. Don't read something into my words I haven't said.

Yea! my copy from Game arrived. Now im trying out the intro in english and japanese to see which i prefer. Even though im a subtitle only anime viwer in games for some reason subtitle only gaming is more a strain

Wow so far the english VAs are good. Love the accents. How do they hold up later in the game.

Kaizer said:
Has anyone who ordered from 365games received the game yet? I know it hasn't been long, but I was just wondering. I think they shipped my copy last Monday/Tuesday. I'd be going crazy like RPGcrazied soon enough, but I just started reading Hunter x Hunter, so I'm all good.
I ordered mine last sunday, it got here today.

duckroll

wrowa said:
Which other game has he directed?

See. Don't read something into my words I haven't said.

He was the overall director for BKO because he was both the lead quest/event planning director and the scenario writer. For Xenoblade, Tetsuya Takahashi is the overall director. Koh Kojima does not share the credit. He is simply credited as a "director" on the game along with the Nintendo supervisor/producer Genki Yokota. Takahashi is the executive director, and main project lead for the project. If you read the interviews, you'll know that Koh Kojima's actual role in Xenoblade is similar to his role in BK1 and Disaster, where he is in charge of the direction of the game, and the lead planner.

kiryogi

Banned
legend166 said:
This whole thread is hilarious.

Before game releases: "Hey guys what site should we order from? Zavvi?"

People who have imported from Zavvi: "Zavvi is usually the cheapest, but deliveries usually take awhile. Two weeks seems to be the average. Could be less, could be more."

After game releases: "HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN 12 DAYS SINCE THE GAME SHIPPED FROM ZAVVI AND I STILL DON'T HAVE IT WHAT IS GOING ON THIS SUCKS RAAAAAAAAGE"

You can really tell who's never imported a game before. 12 days is nothing.
Actually the real issue is importing from Europe. Importing from Asia is usually a very brisk process. So to properly put it, it's more like "you can tell who hasn't imported from Europe before" :p

legend166 said:
This whole thread is hilarious.

Before game releases: "Hey guys what site should we order from? Zavvi?"

People who have imported from Zavvi: "Zavvi is usually the cheapest, but deliveries usually take awhile. Two weeks seems to be the average. Could be less, could be more."

After game releases: "HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN 12 DAYS SINCE THE GAME SHIPPED FROM ZAVVI AND I STILL DON'T HAVE IT WHAT IS GOING ON THIS SUCKS RAAAAAAAAGE"

You can really tell who's never imported a game before. 12 days is nothing.
i have but it was actually through play-asia ;P

kunonabi

My copy from from Amazon.de arrived today. Red CC Pro looks amazing. Might play a little but school and backlog come first.

wrowa

duckroll said:
He was the overall director for BKO because he was both the lead quest/event planning director and the scenario writer. For Xenoblade, Tetsuya Takahashi is the overall director. Koh Kojima does not share the credit. He is simply credited as a "director" on the game along with the Nintendo supervisor/producer Genki Yokota. Takahashi is the executive director, and main project lead for the project. If you read the interviews, you'll know that Koh Kojima's actual role in Xenoblade is similar to his role in BK1 and Disaster, where he is in charge of the direction of the game, and the lead planner.
I believe what you say, but he wasn't credited as director in neither BK1 nor BKO while he is credited as such in Xenoblade. I don't have a clue about his involvement in Disaster, I never bothered to finish that one.

duckroll

wrowa said:
I believe what you say, but he wasn't credited as director in neither BK1 nor BKO while he is credited as such in Xenoblade. I don't have a clue about his involvement in Disaster, I never bothered to finish that one.

The actual wording of the credit doesn't matter as much as what the person actually does though. It's like how in US development, the term director does not always mean the same thing it does for Japanese development. Some game directors in the US are closer to the role of producers in Japan. In the case of Monolithsoft, I've noticed that they've been pushing their senior staff who have been at the company since the start into more prominent roles as credited, even if sometimes the actual job scope isn't very different.

For example, on Soma Bringer, the credited director is Shingo Kawabata, and he is the producer on Xenoblade. Tetsuya Takahashi is the producer of Soma Bringer, and the executive director for Xenoblade. But what does that mean in reality? Both games are conceived, written, and supervised by Takahashi. He picks all the staff working on the title, and he has the final say on all the aspects of the game from the gameplay to the music.

What I do feel though, is that by moving gameplay planners like Kawabata and Kojima up into "director" roles for Takahashi's games, what he is doing is reshuffling the balance of how his games tend to feel. It shifts the focus of the games more towards gameplay, instead of the gameplay being a separate component along with the story.

This is something that Takahashi specifically mentioned when he was working on Xenosaga Episode 1. When he made that game, he said that the design of the story events, the battle system, and the quest/exploration parts of the game, were all designed to be separate components. They were not designed specifically to fit together, because the sub-teams worked on their own to make interesting stuff in their own specializations.

With Soma Bringer and Xenoblade, it is clear that Takahashi wants to tell the same type of stories and create the same depth to the characters and the world as he always had, but at the same time he seems more aware now that what can make a game really special is if the gameplay complements the story and world as well, instead of just being a separate component.

Synless

Nayishiki said:
Just got my copy today from 365games.

20110829160332.jpg
Are you in the US? How are they shipping this? Fedex, UPS, USPS?

totowhoa

Banned
Synless said:
Are you in the US? How are they shipping this? Fedex, UPS, USPS?

Probably (certainly?) USPS.

julls said:
This bit of music pushed me over the edge into ordering. Amazing! Reminds me of Blade Runner and Metroid Prime.

That song :O I haven't spoiled much of the soundtrack, but I just clicked this one. Goddamn. So good.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Sklorenz said:
Probably (certainly?) USPS.

That song :O I haven't spoiled much of the soundtrack, but I just clicked this one. Goddamn. So good.
Yeah, it's pretty incredible. Apparently it's not til quite late in the game... motivation to keep playing, then!

2m16 = :O

Varion

InternHertz said:
I really would like to grind to level 99 and to fight most of the unique monsters, finish every late game sidequests, get my final town to 5-star, collect every advanced arts book and, and, and...my god there's still so much I want to do and so little time before I get Neptune mk.2, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD, but more importantly Tales of Xillia and Dark Souls...
Man that's a lot of games coming. Thankfully I've just got Tales out of that list and this game's going to be plenty to keep me company until that arrives. Unless CDJapan suddenly turn into Zavvi, then maybe not.

Also man the (sub-quest chain in F
rontier Village
which also involves the next town) was priceless.
There's something inherently funny about a bunch of cute little creatures like the Nopons having a little underworld organisation amongst them. "No! I can't tell you anything, the boss will come and get me!"
Great stuff.

L69, 107:17 playtime, 324 quests now. Three of the areas up to 5 stars.

Varion

Sklorenz said:
I thought play time capped at 99:99? Did this change with the EU version or are you keeping your own time?
They changed it with the European version. I've been keeping track manually since I'm playing the Japanese version though, just out of interest. Doubt I'll be finished before hitting 150 hours at the rate I'm going.

...Which thinking about it probably one of the longest amounts of time I've ever spent on a single playthrough of a game. Vesperia's still my longest playtime this gen at 167 hours and this actually has a pretty good chance of beating it. Scary.

totowhoa

Banned
Varion said:
They changed it with the European version. I've been keeping track manually since I'm playing the Japanese version though, just out of interest. Doubt I'll be finished before hitting 150 hours at the rate I'm going.

I'm pretty sure I won't finish this game until this semester ends.

And that's optimistic considering the upcoming releases on every platform D:

Varion said:
Man that's a lot of games coming. Thankfully I've just got Tales out of that list and this game's going to be plenty to keep me company until that arrives. Unless CDJapan suddenly turn into Zavvi, then maybe not.

Also man the (sub-quest chain in F
rontier Village
which also involves the next town) was priceless.
There's something inherently funny about a bunch of cute little creatures like the Nopons having a little underworld organisation amongst them. "No! I can't tell you anything, the boss will come and get me!"
Great stuff.

L69, 107:17 playtime, 324 quests now. Three of the areas up to 5 stars.

1. And it only is a small part of what I want to play/import that comes out between now and the end of the year.

2. Judging by your level you still haven't done the final part of that quest (it involves a unique L78)...but, man, IT. WAS. AWESOME.
You'll know why I'm saying this when you're there. The way it unfolded, the music they chose during the final act, an absolute blast.

It may be in my top 3 sidequests in the game. (Well I have one multi-area chain quest I really like apart from this one, and another that didn't "wow" me that much but it had voice acting from beginning to end and it surprised me.)

kunonabi said:
My copy from from Amazon.de arrived today. Red CC Pro looks amazing. Might play a little but school and backlog come first.

Awesome. I saw your post, and checked the tracking on my bundle I ordered from them. My local Post Office actually received it this afternoon, so it looks like I'll be seeing my copy arrive tomorrow.

Not a bad wait for this. I ordered the bundle on the 18th, shipped on the 20th, arriving the 30th, it looks like. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to finish Tales of Vesperia, or start this. I backlogged Vesperia previously to play a recently-acquired Xenosaga III, ironically.

15th of August:

schennmu said:
Zavvi usually takes 2-3 weeks even within Europe, so please be patient US people.

RPGCrazied said:
Yeah, but I'm hearing they have problems with EU orders, but not international orders. Weird I know. But someone in this thread from here bought from them and living in the US. It took like 5-6days.

It's not like we didn't warn you...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
RPGCrazied said:
No. I just had a gut feeling, regardless of site. No big deal. After this I'm not importing again. I will just eBay Last Story with overnight shipping if I have to.
Lol, ridiculous. You've been warned, you chose to be a cheapass (nothing wrong with it) going with Zavvi anyway and now you're endlessly complaining. Blame yourself and man up.

reektann

So, what are the majority playing with - Japanese or English dialogue? I was playing Jap for the first 5 hours then switched it to English and cringed a little at the cockney (I live in London myself so it was very jarring) but found that it was really useful to understand what my team were saying during large battles, so I have stuck with it, for now.

Bennettt2

Where there's a will, there's a way. I've just found (thanks to gamefaqs) an easy leveling up technique but am afraid it could ruin the experience a bit. I'm at level 45 and it involves
killing level 78 monsters with Melia on Bionis Leg near Raguel Bridge North.

For those who know about it, are there any drawbacks to leveling up like this?

Codeblue

RPGCrazied said:
No. I just had a gut feeling, regardless of site. No big deal. After this I'm not importing again. I will just eBay Last Story with overnight shipping if I have to.

All this says is that the thread for The Last Story won't be half as big as this one.

squall23

Bennettt2 said:
Where there's a will, there's a way. I've just found (thanks to gamefaqs) an easy leveling up technique but am afraid it could ruin the experience a bit. I'm at level 45 and it involves

Do you consider being overlevelled a drawback? If no, then by all means, if yes, then I guess don't do it? Up to you.

kiryogi said:
Actually the real issue is importing from Europe. Importing from Asia is usually a very brisk process. So to properly put it, it's more like "you can tell who hasn't imported from Europe before" :p

It's also like this in reverse. When I order a game (to the UK) from the US it takes generally 2-3 weeks. If I order from Japan or HK, it's usually closer to 2-3 days. I was playing Pokemon White from Japan within the launch week.

I've got Disgaea 4 coming from the US, so expecting that one to turn up towards the end of September. Which will still beat the PAL release, so I'm ok with that.

KarmaCow

So I accidentally spoiled myself about the skill trees, specifically
that there are 4th and 5th skill trees and you get them by doing sidequests. Why would they do this, especially when quests from Colony 9 are still giving me 500+ exp each.

Just got into the
swamp area. It was day and I thought "meh, this looks actually pretty shitty" but then nighttime came and it blew me off my chair. holy fuck. and a "Can't get any more better than this" at the swamp music. It felt almost endless-ocean'ish.

easily the best RPG this gen and even in my "alltime-Top 3 RPGs"-List so far. this game has the potential to take the top spot

Bennettt2 said:

I am totally doing look this up. I'm underlevelled at the moment and was looking for something quick to do.

iamaustrian said:
Just got into the
swamp area. It was day and I thought "meh, this looks actually pretty shitty" but then nighttime came and it blew me off my chair. holy fuck. and a "Can't get any more better than this" at the swamp music. It felt almost endless-ocean'ish.

easily the best RPG this gen and even in my "alltime-Top 3 RPGs"-List so far. this game has the potential to take the top spot
Same here. It's up there with Chrono Trigger and FFT as my all time faves and I'm only 25 hours in.

squall23

KarmaCow said:
So I accidentally spoiled myself about the skill trees, specifically
that there are 4th and 5th skill trees and you get them by doing sidequests. Why would they do this, especially when quests from Colony 9 are still giving me 500+ exp each.
Then you'll kick yourself knowing there are
hidden Monado arts

iamaustrian said:
Just got into the

oh just when you think cant get any better you going to the next anime and WOW then the next OMG

this game could full up a top 10 of best settings, only 35 hours so

Ok, two more things I don't like:

- It's way too easy to get overleveled, so there is no challenge in the main story so far. It's not like I did any heavy grinding, just side quests. Kinda takes the tension out of the game. At the same time, it's obvious that there is no way to beat the "red" enemies without leveling up.

- Slight location spoiler:
The Swamps
suck!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
20 hours in... Just got
Dunban
as a party member. I am pretty comfortable with Shulk-Rayn-Sharla.... I am not sure if I should trade any of them for
Dunban
....... hmmm.

Am I playing it at a good pace? It seems like all I am doing is just running around... I have a bit of a sidequest fatigue right now *sigh*

wrowa

Laughing Banana said:
20 hours in... Just got
Dunban
as a party member. I am pretty comfortable with Shulk-Rayn-Sharla.... I am not sure if I should trade any of them for
Dunban
....... hmmm.

Am I playing it at a good pace? It seems like all I am doing is just running around... I have a bit of a sidequest fatigue right now *sigh*
Kick Reyn out of the party ;p

And don't cling too much on Sharla. You don't need a dedicated healer for most of the game.

Ledsen

I was astounded how my damage output suddenly doubled when I switched out Reyn and put the aforementioned character in.

put sharla on "reserve" and take
Dunban
instead of her.
Sharla makes the game far to easy.
Reyn and
Dunban
are one badass "we-kill-everything" combo. Shulks healing abilities are far enough

iamaustrian said:
put sharla on "reserve" and take
Dunban
instead of her.
Sharla makes the game far to easy.
Reyn and
Dunban
are one badass "we-kill-everything" combo. Shulks healing abilities are far enough
Just did that last night and it truly is a slaughterhouse in the
Satorl Marsh
. Added with the ton of Strength III gems I crafted, it's so pretty.

Top Bottom