• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Xenoblade is in my hands. 365games delivered quite promptly. Only took a week to get it.

Now to never look at this thread until I beat the game.

wsippel said:
Nothing in the game beats
Fiora
. Speed gear III or better, War Blades or better, 50% double attack and Speed Shift: insane damage.
Shulk/ Dunban/ Fiora (Speed)
is almost unfair. Especially once you get the
fifth skill tree.
i doubt a player controlled
Fiora
could out damage melia tho. and currently, @lv 79 my riki is superior to shulk. melia also has force topple , mind blast, etc making her perfect to count powerful attacks. when melia is in the party, the other two do more damage as well.
and i wonder where did you get speed gear III?

TDLink

GrumpyAlien said:
Xenoblade is in my hands. 365games delivered quite promptly. Only took a week to get it.

I also ordered from 365 and they shipped last Monday. Hope it's in my mailbox when I get home from Work.

jump_button said:
Is they away to lever the arts up higher? I feel like they something im missing, I have alot of point and nothing to use them on they all max out, looks like they could/will go higher is they something I have to do?
Intermediate level artes are bought in shops. Advanced level on the other hand appear to be
drops from enemies, probably rare (except Summon Bolt which is in treasury 2, Monado ones and one of Shulks)
from looking at this page and my experience so far.

GrumpyAlien said:
You'll come crawling back, looking for help or to share advice, I'm sure.

blackflag

Just got this in the mail on Friday and played a few hours this weekend. Awesome game so far.

One question though, are there sword upgrades for Shulk in this game? I have gotten a ton of swords for the tank guy, and tons of daggers for the girl, but never a single sword upgrade for Shulk. It's kinda ridiculous at this point. I was going to go back to town after my last mission and try to buy one but then all hell broke loose.

Another question. Should 1 level 10 caterpillar, named I think, be able to destroy a 3 person level 11 party or do I just suck hardcore?

Varion

Aaaand there we go, 99 hours 59 minutes playtime. Stupid Japanese version :(

Now I'm going to have to time my progress manually. Still working on finishing up quests.

blackflag said:
One question though, are there sword upgrades for Shulk in this game?
Another question. Should 1 level 10 caterpillar, named I think, be able to destroy a 3 person level 11 party or do I just suck hardcore?
1. "Don't worry about it". You don't find Shulk's weapon upgrades, the plot gives you them.
2. Yes, that's a pretty tough unique.

wsippel

Banned
I wonder: Will Monolith's next game top this? And if it does: Will my brain survive the awesome...?

Honestly, I always expected a lot from Monolith. Nintendo doesn't buy studios for shits and giggles. And Soma Bringer was already pretty awesome - it was awesome, but not groundbraking. But to me, after Xenoblade, they're basically the Japanese Retro They redefined a genre.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
blackflag said:
Just got this in the mail on Friday and played a few hours this weekend. Awesome game so far.

One question though, are there sword upgrades for Shulk in this game? I have gotten a ton of swords for the tank guy, and tons of daggers for the girl, but never a single sword upgrade for Shulk. It's kinda ridiculous at this point. I was going to go back to town after my last mission and try to buy one but then all hell broke loose.

No. There's a reason for that..

wrowa

wsippel said:
I wonder: Will Monolith's next game top this? And if it does: Will my brain survive the awesome...?
I'm pretty confident that a Xenoblade sequel would be a better game and experience. Xenoblade is an awesome game, but it doesn't make anything groundbreakingly new. It modernizes the JRPG by shelving outdated genre staples and taking inspiration by WRPG (without forgetting its Japanese origins). With that in mind I don't think it matters much that Xenoblade was first.

Xenoblade 2 could definitely improve the concept quite a bit. The game would benefit from the additional horsepower of the Wii U more than most other games and while Xenoblade is an awesome game, it's also a game with many minor flaws. Flaws that could be solved very easily.

I'm confident that, if Monolith decides to revisit the concept, the sequel will be a better game.

Alrus

blackflag said:

Caterpillar is tough as hell, but at level 11 you should still be able to beat it. Make sure you take care of the little one before aggroing that monster, makes the fight slightly easier. (The big one isn't linked to the small one so you can lure them without risk).

wsippel said:
Well, let's not forget that Monolith has done more than just Baten Kaitos and the Xeno- games, and some of their stuff isn't nearly as mindblowing, even if it's still good.

And the problem, like everything else in the modern industry, is money. I would love a sequel (preferably a spiritual sequel) to Xenoblade in HD that expands on the massive worlds, the battle system, and the scale. But the cost required to make such a thing possible is a burden I'm not too sure NCL would be willing to bear.

Nothing on Day 9. On to day 10...

l7E7D.png

^This seriously has to happen somewhere along in the process.

wsippel

Banned
Twilight Princess said:
i doubt a player controlled
Fiora
could out damage melia tho. and currently, @lv 79 my riki is superior to shulk. melia also has force topple , mind blast, etc making her perfect to count powerful attacks. when melia is in the party, the other two do more damage as well.
and i wonder where did you get speed gear III?
Dunno. With good gear and Speed Shift, she does more than 10,000 DPS. Every other character is a joke in comparison,
Shulk being the obvious exception
. I won't even talk about Grand Cross, let alone her fifth skill tree.

wsippel said:
Nothing in the game beats
Fiora
. Speed gear III or better, War Blades or better, 50% double attack and Speed Shift: insane damage.
Shulk/ Dunban/ Fiora (Speed)
is almost unfair. Especially once you get the
fifth skill tree.

(Big spoiler!)
Reobtaining Fiora is the only spoiler I know about the game, but at what point do you get her back, without spoiling anything? I've currently just got to Galahad Fortress. Am I close, a few hours away or does it not happen until late in the game?

I'm 40 hours in now at lvl 43. Just beat the short dungeon p
rison island
. Can anyone tell me what % of story completion this approximately is? I just don't want this amazing game to end :(

Btw, is there anyone else playing with japanese voicetrack? I watched my brother play with the English dub and it is very well done but somehow I still prefer the Japanese voices (even though the english subtitles don't always match what they say in japanese). I guess watching anime makes me love japanese accents or something :p

Starwolf_UK said:
The game only runs in 16:9 so on a 16:9 set with the Wii set to 16:9 it fills the whole screen* but is letterboxed on 4:3**. Also make sure you are actually running the game in 480i/p (is your Wii set to that or if importing, try using other force NTSC options).
*-But is anamorphic so retangular pixels which is why it might look odd
**-i.e. is downscaling and rendering black bars, joy.
My Wii is set to 480p, and the CFG is set to use the system's resolution, but I'll try force NTSC to see if it helps.

Also, I tried the game on a widescreen HD TV, and even there it had bad scaling, the text was all uneven and stuff.

wsippel

Banned
CruxisMana said:
(Big spoiler!)
Reobtaining Fiora is the only spoiler I know about the game, but at what point do you get her back, without spoiling anything? I've currently just got to Galahad Fortress. Am I close, a few hours away or does it not happen until late in the game?
Very, very close. Minutes away, basically.

wsippel

Banned
Exterminieren said:
What's up with that
King Abis Tomb in Makna Forest?
Looks significant and secret, but all it says is that it's too worn to read.
It's part of a sidequest line halfway through the game.

MYE

My god this game is amazing!!!

I dont want to leave the first fucking area :lol
And the music. THE MUSIC!!!

Out_Of_Ammo said:
I'm 40 hours in now at lvl 43. Just beat the short dungeon p
rison island
. Can anyone tell me what % of story completion this approximately is? I just don't want this amazing game to end :(

From my guess work I don't even think that's half way.

wsippel

Banned
Exterminieren said:
I'm at
Galahad Fortress
. Can I set this line in motion yet?
Yes. Don't know how exactly, though. You get
one of two optional Monado arts from this quest, and it's also a prerequisite for one of the endgame quest lines.

slaughterking said:
More and more US people pretending to get the game just to spite RPGCrazied. :p

Top of the page. Great!
now canadians. this won't end well especially since they most likely have to go through customs lol.

anaron

slaughterking said:
More and more US people pretending to get the game just to spite RPGCrazied. :p

Top of the page. Great!
I haven't even ordered the game and a copy arrived at my door today. It's just THE weirdest thing.

Sadist

CruxisMana said:
(Big spoiler!)
You're close :)

So, I decided to at least see the ending one time, even though I didn't save afterwards (I still have a sh*t ton of things to complete in the game before I can feel satisfied with my first playthrough).

That. was. f*cking. epic.

Man, that ending is awesomesauce *_* Takahashi-san, I'm bowing before you.

So. Can someone tell me something about New Game +...
Attention of course, BIG SPOILERS don't read if you haven't beaten the game. And also because you need to be quite late in a second playthrough to answer this...

I had a big shock when I saw Fiora at the beginning of the game, with absolutely nothing on her, even her level was 11. That struck me because even Mumkhar is in his Mechon form in the opening sequence even though he wasn't tranformed at that time.
Can someone confirm with 100% certainty that when I'll get back Fiora late in playthrough 2, at that time she'll inherit everything she had, and that her state at the start is only there for story purposes ?

bubnbob

Banned
InternHertz said:
So, I decided to at least see the ending one time, even though I didn't save afterwards (I still have a sh*t ton of things to complete in the game before I can feel satisfied with my first playthrough).

That. was. f*cking. epic.

Man, that ending is awesomesauce *_* Takahashi-san, I'm bowing before you.

So. Can someone tell me something about New Game +...
Attention of course, BIG SPOILERS don't read if you haven't beaten the game. And also because you need to be quite late in a second playthrough to answer this...

I had a big shock when I saw Fiora at the beginning of the game, with absolutely nothing on her, even her level was 11. That struck me because even Mumkhar is in his Mechon form in the opening sequence even though he wasn't tranformed at that time.
Can someone confirm with 100% certainty that when I'll get back Fiora late in playthrough 2, at that time she'll inherit everything she had, and that her state at the start is only there for story purposes ?

Yes

Top Bottom