• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Antagon

finalozzo said:
* i'm stuck here, against the dinobeast.
that skill is useless, it works only on a combo chain and after 6 seconds is gone. wtf?

I think he doesn't put up his aura until a couple of seconds into the fight, so wait with purge until this.

Finalow

Antagon said:
I think he doesn't put up his aura until a couple of seconds into the fight, so wait with purge until this.
the problem is that i can't hit him. MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS ...
so i can only activate monado skills 2 times max in 30 minutes.

wrowa

finalozzo said:
eh, i used it but it says "RESIST".
then i need 20 minutes to charge my monado skills, maybe because i can't hit him. =/
As Antagon said, the Aura isn't being activated until he's ~half way beaten. Also, Shulk has a skill to refill the talent gauge. Use that.

It's an annoying fight, mostly because it takes minutes to refill the talent gauge if you can't hit the enemy, but it's actually quite an easy one.

McNum

finalozzo said:
Do you have Shulk's art that lets him sacrifice HP for Monado charge yet? I used that to get the Monado up and running for a Purge in that fight.

finalozzo said:
Shulk has a skill that fills his talent gauge. You should use that, but it really shouldn't be necessary. The aura of dinobeast has enough of a cooldown to fill your talent gauge twice with regular auto-attacks.

bubnbob

Banned
finalozzo said:

Is the Telethia's level higher than yours? If his name is red, you get a negative penalty on Agility, making it hard, if not impossible to hit. There is a level barrier in this game, and going in weak does you no favors. Relax.

Otherwise, you must Purge it to remove its "mind reading" ability it has, which is why you miss.

wrowa

bubnbob said:
Is the Telethia's level higher than yours? If his name is red, you get a negative penalty on Agility, making it hard, if not impossible to hit. There is a level barrier in this game, and going in weak does you no favors. Relax.

Otherwise, you must Purge it to remove its "mind reading" ability it has, which is why you miss.
Good point. If he's, I believe, 6 levels weaker than the monster it's virtually impossible to hit him.

Green Scar said:
I like the part where I walked into a shop and bought it

I liked the part where my copies and posters were delivered on the 18th. I also like the part where I'm getting the artbook from Club Nintendo France.

Alrus

McNum said:
Do you have Shulk's art that lets him sacrifice HP for Monado charge yet? I used that to get the Monado up and running for a Purge in that fight.

Heh I removed that skill when I got it because AI Shulk used it too often and it fucked up the AI healer (would waste heals on shulk instead of the tank). I regretted it for that fight... In the end though, the boss just used a different aura or something and I got to beat him. All my party was depressed during the fight, first time I saw that.

reektann

The content in this game is unbelievable. I just headed back to Colony 9 to do some gem crafting after about 12 hours play and there are a bunch more quests there. Superb stuff.

wrowa

Lord Ghirahim said:
I liked the part where my copies and posters were delivered on the 18th. I also like the part where I'm getting the artbook from Club Nintendo France.
I like the part where I screamed: "I WANT YOUR BLOOD".

Lord Ghirahim said:
I like the part where you realized that Nintendo France is only sending you a code to download a PDF file instead of a physical artbook.

>:I

Finalow

bubnbob said:

that's it. I'm level 29 and he's at level 36. =|
edit: i would like to do some sidequest in order to obtain some levels, i read that in frontier village there is a quest for a new power of the monado, is this true? And if yes where is the nopon that gives to you the quest?

otmane

I don't know if it has been posted before, but Xenoblade is first and third (for the bundle) in the french charts for the week from 15/08 to 21/08:

French charts - Gameblog
Top 5 des ventes consoles :

1. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
2. The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles + manette classique (Wii)
4. Zumba Fitness (Wii)
5. Call of Duty : Black Ops (PS3)

Joe Molotov

wrowa said:
I like the part where I screamed: "I WANT YOUR BLOOD".

I like the part where everyone finally realizes that Xenoblade doesn't even exist, and that it's just a massive troll on the part of Nintendo that they convinced the retailers to get in on, and that everyone claiming to have received their copy already is in on the troll as well, and we're all just making up characters and locations and fake spoilers to drive the people nuts who haven't figured it out yet.

And that those screenshots are really from the iOS excusive Magna Carta 3.

Yeah they [French charts] were discussed. Btw, in the EU chart threads from the UK estimates we have (and the fact everyone was/is out of stock), 10,000 is a likely number for the UK first shipment. This means the 38,000 figure touted might have been for the whole of Europe.

Bennettt2

CruxisMana said:
I've managed it a few time now, with a lot of fails in between, and to be honest the EXP isn't even that good.

Make sure none of your party members are closer to the Gogol than Melia when you lure it since it targets only the one closest to it. Also, it is handy to have Sharla and Riki in your party as they (usually) won't attack it straight away(they'll be doing buffs and debuffs instead).

Also keep an eye on your spacing and timing when casting hypnotise

Bennettt2 said:
Make sure none of your party members are closer to the Gogol than Melia when you lure it since it targets only the one closest to it. Also, it is handy to have Sharla and Riki in your party as they (usually) won't attack it straight away(they'll be doing buffs and debuffs instead).

Also keep an eye on your spacing and timing when casting hypnotise

I've finally got the tactics down, although sometimes it manages to kill Melia or it refuses to fall off the cliff, the latter being the most infuriating. Went from level 53 to 55 though in about 45 minutes, and alongside the high level loot, it turned out okay.

Got stuck on the boss at level 53, so hopefully my levelling up and re-equipping everyone will give me the edge now. I do however hate multi-opponent boss battles with large foes since it makes it next to impossible to reach a team mate should you have to revive or warn them and the camera normally gets stuck at Shulk's feet so you can't see anything... Hopefully tomorrow will be the day.

At this point in the game there seems to be a real lack of sidequests to do that offer decent EXP.

Alrus

Starwolf_UK said:
Yeah they [French charts] were discussed. Btw, in the EU chart threads from the UK estimates we have (and the fact everyone was/is out of stock), 10,000 is a likely number for the UK first shipment. This means the 38,000 figure touted might have been for the whole of Europe.

That's unlikely. NoE probably knows where those kind of games sell best (aka France and Germany), they probably shipped more than 28k throughout the whole continental Europe you know. I don't know why people still think the UK market is so representative of the whole continent, it's been obvious for a while it's not.

Zafir

America's corruption already got to the UK. Run, run while it's not too late Europe!

Edit: More seriously, I saw that Zumba fitness was knocked from first place. Hurrah!

Zafir

Oh, and on the GAME front, they said their site should be up again at the end of the day. If you have an account, maybe you should try asking them about your order via twitter. They seem to be responding to querys.

What's up with these
Giants Treasures
? Just got the one at the top of the
Exile Fortress
, but the Nopon mentioned 2 more. How do I get them?

LProtag

Well, haven't been able to play more than a few hours because I've been without power for a while now.

I wonder if I should hook the TV and the Wii up to the generator my dad borrowed...

Also should I really be trying to do all the sidequests, or is just a good chunk enough to get everything I'll want?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
InsertNameHere said:
Well, haven't been able to play more than a few hours because I've been without power for a while now.

I wonder if I should hook the TV and the Wii up to the generator my dad borrowed...

Also should I really be trying to do all the sidequests, or is just a good chunk enough to get everything I'll want?

Completely the majority of side quest will make the main game easier, thanks to all the experience. I've been completely most of them, but leaving some of the less clear / more challenging ones for later.

LProtag

EvilMario said:
Completely the majority of side quest will make the main game easier, thanks to all the experience. I've been completely most of them, but leaving some of the less clear / more challenging ones for later.

Also I think this has been asked before, but are there points in the game where I won't be able to go back to say, Colony 9 in order to complete those quests there anymore? And will that be obvious when that is coming if there are?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
InsertNameHere said:
Also I think this has been asked before, but are there points in the game where I won't be able to go back to say, Colony 9 in order to complete those quests there anymore? And will that be obvious when that is coming if there are?

I'm not at the point yet, but apparently is pretty far in the game when 'Timed Quest' (which will have a Clock next to them on the Quest list) will be unavailable. And it's obvious when it's coming.

Zafir

I suppose it depends on how many sidequests you can tolerate. I regret doing all those sidequests at the start, because now I'm sick of them. Which causes a problem for me, because you need to do atleast some of them or else you'll be too low level for the story related stuff. So if you fear the same thing may happen to you, you should probably not do all the sidequests, and instead just do a few to boost your level, and move on.

Oh man CruxisMana that spoiler reminds me of what happened to the AI yesterday
I was disouraged and the AI teamate tried to run up to me to encourage me...by trying to walk through an enemy...for all the praise I had for the chain attack pathfinder too...then again I think the person in question was also trapped in a corner by same enemy

edit:eek:h forgot to hit reply...for an hour :lol

LProtag

Zafir said:
I suppose it depends on how many sidequests you can tolerate. I regret doing all those sidequests at the start, because now I'm sick of them. Which causes a problem for me, because you need to do atleast some of them or else you'll be too low level for the story related stuff. So if you fear the same thing may happen to you, you should probably not do all the sidequests, and instead just do a few to boost your level, and move on.

I've kinda just been getting as many quests from people as I can find and wandering around the newer areas grinding/exploring and completing quests without really any direction (as in just killing monsters and happening to complete quests as opposed to the other way around) which has gotten a lot of them done for me. Perhaps I'll keep doing that and backtrack to do other stuff later.

BluWacky

finalozzo said:
eh, i used it but it says "RESIST".
then i need 20 minutes to charge my monado skills, maybe because i can't hit him. =/

Take Melia into the fight with you. She also learns a purge skill when you enter that fight and you can build up her Talent Art by summoning and releasing elements.

wrowa

Alrus said:
That's unlikely. NoE probably knows where those kind of games sell best (aka France and Germany), they probably shipped more than 28k throughout the whole continental Europe you know. I don't know why people still think the UK market is so representative of the whole continent, it's been obvious for a while it's not.
In the PAL charts thread we tossed the numbers 10k for UK, 10k for France, 10k for Germany and 8k for Spain and Benelux around. Seems pretty reasonable imo.

I think it's funny (and cruel) to see all the different stages RPGCrazied has gone through in this thread. From being ridiculously excited and full of questions, to being bitter and jaded and seemingly losing interest in the game. Zavvi has crushed this man's soul!

Ultravi0lence said:
I think it's funny (and cruel) to see all the different stages RPGCrazied has gone through in this thread. From being ridiculously excited and full of questions, to being bitter and jaded and seemingly losing interest in the game. Zavvi has crushed this man's soul!
wait until he gets the game. lol.

I can't understand why it takes so much time with Zavvi, when other shops send with regular mail too... there are different types of mail? Maybe Zavvi uses the cheapest?

TDLink

=GabrielKnight= said:
I can't understand why it takes so much time with Zavvi, when other shops send with regular mail too... there are different types of mail? Maybe Zavvi uses the cheapest?

Zavvi labels their packages as "Suspicious goods" so that they are held up at Customs more often.

CoolS

So I decide to advance in the story a bit and suddenly I have two huge towns with barely any sidequests done :/

On the other hand, after so much story now I am in the mood for some sidequesting. The game seems to balance itself out in this regard pretty nicely, I like that. And while other people don't like it, I think it's ok too be a little bit overleveled at times. Starting to have more trouble in some fights now. And somehow I don't have the really cool looking gear yet I saw from some people in this thread. Need to go on a mob killing and questing run to get shiny new armor :)

Dizzy-4U

I've read a lot of impressions in here and I really need to play this now. Ebay is gonna kill me with the price but whatever, I don't seem to have many options.

=GabrielKnight= said:
Apparently TheHut ship from Jersey for tax purposes (Channel Islands have 3% tax, mainland UK 20%...the import limit for such goods is £15 but £15@20% is better than £30@20%...some of that might be wrong).

Anyhow, it needs to go to mainland UK. Which means a boat journey. That could take a few days. Then it might have some sort customs due to being Channel Islands or if you're luck it is put into an international mail box so goes to one of the airports (if this fails to happen add a few more days for the local sorting offices to notice). It then goes on the next flight it can to America (there a mail flights). I assume they go by time of arrival and weight so if there is a backlong, add more time. Once in America you have customs to deal with. This can take any amount of time (I'm not sure how customs offices work, they scan a package checking its price and origin and in some cases open it to check if its not shoddy goods*, mainly for larger things, a DVD they won't care). Finally then does it end up in the hands of USPS which does its stuff. I'd hope it works as a minimum spanning tree but who know.

A lot of factors can cause the time to vary greately or are variable (post offices). Its possible for packages sent out the same day to end up with one on the plane and the other not so you get delay there etc etc...

It is lamentable that no UK retailers seem to offer a courier service. I've used Gamestop.com a few times and they only let you use UPS. Its $15-$25 to ship to Europe but the service took my breath away as I recieved the order within 48 hours. Yes I was ordering a $20 copy of Excitebots so essentially paying nearly all as shipping...(I did the maths and it was the price I was prepared to pay for a domestic release)

*-Our HM Customs confiscate things like counterfeit clothing or shoddily made hair straighteners that catch fire or burn your hair due to being designed for 110V.

snesfreak

Banned
So I see the mailman at the neighbor's, then I see him walking to my mailbox.
Then I see him walk right by my mailbox.
Oh well, maybe tomorrow?

snesfreak said:
So I see the mailman at the neighbor's, then I see him walking to my mailbox.
Then I see him walk right by my mailbox.
Oh well, maybe tomorrow?
oh he trolled you good. imagine walking up to it and he opened and closed it lulz.

Top Bottom