• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Bennettt2 said:
Where there's a will, there's a way. I've just found (thanks to gamefaqs) an easy leveling up technique but am afraid it could ruin the experience a bit. I'm at level 45 and it involves
killing level 78 monsters with Melia on Bionis Leg near Raguel Bridge North.

For another else who would like to try this, here's a video of how to do it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBg1kP9CxXY

I haven't read the comments section myself but I'll presume they have spoilers in them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
wrowa said:
Kick Reyn out of the party ;p

And don't cling too much on Sharla. You don't need a dedicated healer for most of the game.

SecretMoblin said:
And replace with
Dunban for the rest of the game

Reyn is useless.

http://i.imgur.com/dInTl.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hoo really? I thought tank character like Reyn is very important to draw aggro? Hmm. His high HP and heavy-armor makes him good to tank right...? Or maybe I am missing something here.

Seemingly low HP and the focus on light armor makes me somewhat wary on the prospect of using the new guy.... Hmmm.

So questions for all of you Xenoblade experts, is it better to focus on Physical or Ether Defense for armor? As for gems, 20 hours in and I tend to swing towards Attack Up or Muscle Up or Ether Up or Ether Defense Up variety.... what is Agility good for...?

Also, what is the maximum affinity symbol? Is it the cloudly-like smiley thing?

[QUOTE=iamaustrian]put sharla on "reserve" and take [spoiler]Dunban[/spoiler] instead of her.
Sharla makes the game far to easy.
Reyn and [spoiler]Dunban[/spoiler] are one badass "we-kill-everything" combo. Shulks healing abilities are far enough[/QUOTE]

Well, her healing skills saved me a bunch of times already... that is why I am hesitant to let her go.

As for Shulk I am intending to use him all the way... I am a bit OCD in always using the main character as the lead even if the game permits switching him out.

wrowa

iamaustrian said:
put sharla on "reserve" and take
Dunban
instead of her.
Sharla makes the game far to easy.
Reyn and
Dunban
are one badass "we-kill-everything" combo. Shulks healing abilities are far enough
Make it too easy? There simply are characters that are far better than her. She's useful in, say, the first half of the game. But after that she becomes rather useless.

Laughing Banana said:
Hoo really? I thought tank character like Reyn is very important to draw aggro? Hmm. His high HP and heavy-armor makes him good to tank right...? Or maybe I am missing something here.

Seemingly low HP and the focus on light armor makes me somewhat wary on the prospect of using the new guy.... Hmmm.

So questions for all of you Xenoblade experts, is it better to focus on Physical or Ether Defense for armor? As for gems, 20 hours in and I tend to swing towards Attack Up or Muscle Up or Ether Up or Ether Defense Up variety.... what is Agility good for...?

Well, her healing skills saved me a bunch of times already... that is why I am hesitant to let her go.

As for Shulk I am intending to use him all the way... I am a bit OCD in always using the main character as the lead even if the game permits switching him out.

Here's the reason to use
Dunban: he's a tank, just like Reyn. But rather than having high defense and taking a lot of damage, he absorbs aggro and has such a high agility that he dodges basically everything thrown at him, especially if you're good with levels and equip agility gems. Plus, his damage output is significantly better. He's a beast.

I think the maximum affinity thing is a smiling pink blob, though I may be wrong about that.

What I find with overleveling is I'll be overleveled one area. Then in the next area be about the right level due to having very little fights in the other area. Its nice to be able to go about quests and other things without engaging in battle all the time.

But then your equipment might start to lag due to not fighting anything.

Bennettt2 said:
Where there's a will, there's a way. I've just found (thanks to gamefaqs) an easy leveling up technique but am afraid it could ruin the experience a bit. I'm at level 45 and it involves
killing level 78 monsters with Melia on Bionis Leg near Raguel Bridge North.

For those who know about it, are there any drawbacks to leveling up like this?
Thanks for that, I just looked up the trick. I'm level
and kind of want
to kill the Dark Hox (which it also works on) so I can continue rebuliding colong 6. Its only a few levels above me but I raely land hits on it and it likes to knock me off the platform

The drawbacks are you end up spoiling
your 7th party member by the loot that drops
and of course general imbalance due to having some equips way too early (even if you don't level that much).

Heavy Armour is iffy. Good defence, mediocre ether defence no gem equip slots (some come with pre-equiped gems though). Thing about Ryen is
you get a character thats practically as good at tanking

You're right but if you focus on (skill tree)
Wizdom you could go for no armour. But personally Agility up gems will surpass +30% for a long amount of the game and I'd rather the safety blanket of armour
also don't forget to skill link
Shulks equipment weight -5 skill

Defence depends on what you're fighting. Ether is magic based basically. Agility is both accuracy and evade so it is a very important stat for most of the cast.

You can see max affinity but looking at the skill tree and scrolling down. The symbol for max
is a pink heart
. You can also use Gem crafting to kind of see your progess at the current affinity level (the number of turns goes up but 1 after some point its hard to explain really...).

Starwolf_UK said:
Thanks for that, I just looked up the trick. I'm level
and kind of want
to kill the Dark Hox (which it also works on) so I can continue rebuliding colong 6. Its only a few levels above me but I raely land hits on it and it likes to knock me off the platform

The drawbacks are you end up spoiling
your 7th party member by the loot that drops
and of course general imbalance due to having some equips way too early (even if you don't level that much).

I think if you go through the effort of using this method than you're going to be aiming to imbalance the game to a certain extent anyways. I know I am.

:lol

I posted a video of how to do it on this page, if you haven't already found it yourself.

CoolS

I need help with Colony 9. I can't find any new quests apparently. So far I have 4 stars and story-wise I just met a certain hero-pon, but no matter where and when I look, I can't seem to find new quests anymore :( Do I just need to progress in the story or should there still be some quests left?

Mael

iamaustrian said:
Just got into the
swamp area. It was day and I thought "meh, this looks actually pretty shitty" but then nighttime came and it blew me off my chair. holy fuck. and a "Can't get any more better than this" at the swamp music. It felt almost endless-ocean'ish.

easily the best RPG this gen and even in my "alltime-Top 3 RPGs"-List so far. this game has the potential to take the top spot
Actually I'm pretty much there and well I'm also on the idea that it's like discovering Chrono trigger for the 1rst time and all.
I can't stress enough how good the game is.

I'm trying the
Melia
levelling trick, but I can't get it to work.

I hypnotise the enemy, but then my teammates auto-attack it and it wakes straight back up.

How do I stop them from doing that?

wrowa

CoolS said:
I need help with Colony 9. I can't find any new quests apparently. So far I have 4 stars and story-wise I just met a certain hero-pon, but no matter where and when I look, I can't seem to find new quests anymore :( Do I just need to progress in the story or should there still be some quests left?
Hard to say without knowing what you have and what you haven't done so far in the colony :)

Quests unlock with story progress. Some quests also require others to be done and a few are multi-area.

CruxisMana said:
How do I stop them from doing that? [teamates attacking]
Apparently you issue the run away command (hit down on the talent artes for the green symbol).

Question about a sidequest in colony 9:
I need to give a shield or sword to Emma (I think?) so she can beat a guy in a test. I found the shield and gave it to her but she lost and now she hates me... Can't find her anywhere and I lost 3 stars affinity with colony 9 :( Was it better to give her the sword and if so, can you pick up the sword after you found the shield? I have a savefile from before I gave her the shield but I already picked it up...

CruxisMana said:
I'm trying the
Melia
levelling trick, but I can't get it to work.

I hypnotise the enemy, but then my teammates auto-attack it and it wakes straight back up.

How do I stop them from doing that?

I'm trying it too. You have to use the ZR button along with down on the d-pad to get your teammates to 'follow' you and temporarily stop attacking.

Edit: Yep. After about 30 tries, that's how I did it. The problem is getting it close enough to the ledge...

Luigiv

Okay, so I put an hour and a half into the game so far. First impressions:

Graphics - Looks so much better without FLV compression. Also appreciate the full 640x480 framebuffer. Looks reasonably sharp on my TV because of it. Though at the moment I'm failing to understand why the detailing on the characters is so inconsistent. Some characters are noticeably more detailed then others, which is very jarring to see in cutscenes.

Music - Soooo good.

Gameplay - Nothing too exciting yet. Battle system seems more engaging and hands on then your typical MMORPG battle system which I definitely appreciate.

Story - So far so good. I can definitely see why people like the characters. The dialogue has a very believable flow to it and characters behave and react like real people would (most of the time). I'll definitely be interested to see how things pick up.

Diffense

NeededSleep said:
So Xenoblades chronicles was my relaxation gift after buying my first house recently. got a nice big 47inch lcd tv. hooked it up and wished that the game was 1080p. the game is beautiful but damn i wish it was really in 1080p to justify how much i enjoy this game so far. i did end up ordering some cheap component cables to help sharpen up some of the lines though. waiting for those to come in.

Just about to enter the cave, i did all the quests i could, though i still run around the town at certain times waiting to see if there is a npc that is time sensitive for showing up. Love the game so far and im quite enjoying the EU Voice overs, its really a nice change.

Another thing i love is the roaming elite monsters, im taking note of where they are and coming back with a vengeance!

I thought it looked marginally worse with component/480p and switched back to A/V.
The jaggies were sharper with component cable. I do wish Xenoblade was HD.

CruxisMana said:
I'm useless at it...

The technique:
Target the lvl 78 Gogol.
Lure it and while you're running to the cliff, select Hypnotize.
When it gets close to the cliff, hit Hypnotize and immediately hold ZR and down on the d-pad.
Get in position, let go of ZR/down, and quickly select the Spear and hit it.

wrowa

Diffense said:
I thought it looked marginally worse with component/480p and switched back to A/V.
If it isn't possible to play it via Dolphin, the best way to play Xenoblade is on an old CRT, which unfortunately brings it own share of problems.

I like the looks of Xenoblade, but it's one of the Wii games that would have benefitted from additional horsepower the most. I can't wait for what Monolith delivers on the Wii U.

Out_Of_Ammo said:
Question about a sidequest in colony 9:
I need to give a shield or sword to Emma (I think?) so she can beat a guy in a test. I found the shield and gave it to her but she lost and now she hates me... Can't find her anywhere and I lost 3 stars affinity with colony 9 :( Was it better to give her the sword and if so, can you pick up the sword after you found the shield? I have a savefile from before I gave her the shield but I already picked it up...
Don't worry.
Using the sword would achieve the same (the vision showed you it was poisoned this comes as a shock to her and she doesn't trust you or anyone...) as far as it goes. Apparently she is hiding where Otharon was in the Ether mines. An endgame sidequest with
(quest giver)
Miller
will
resolve this pot line.
(details, maybe not at that point yet)
The shield route is delivering a letter(?) and the sword route is some sort of investigation(?)

As for the affinity
I'm sure you get it back by talking to people and buliding up links. Did it actually go from 3 stars to 2 stars. The Japanese webpage says you gain x000 rep points (can't rembmer is x is 3 or 5) for doing the quest anyway so I'm wondering if it is a missing negative symbol there

Diffense said:
Then the text and HUD are a mess (as you get image compression artefacts* all over them making them blurred). The only thing you can really do is sit far away. I sit about 1.5 metres away from a 23 inch monitor and it looks a bit rough in places but acceptable.

Also, I made sure sharpness was as low as possible.
*-Thats what composite does I think. Compresses colour info into one wire so whenever a colour changes you'll get a mess...I think its something to do with waveforms.

Cwarrior

Luigiv said:
Okay, so I put an hour and a half into the game so far. First impressions:

Graphics - Looks so much better without FLV compression. Also appreciate the full 640x480 framebuffer. Looks reasonably sharp on my TV because of it. Though at the moment I'm failing to understand why the detailing on the characters is so inconsistent. Some characters are noticeably more detailed then others, which is very jarring to see in cutscenes.

Music - Soooo good.

Gameplay - Nothing too exciting yet. Battle system seems more engaging and hands on then your typical MMORPG battle system which I definitely appreciate.

Story - So far so good. I can definitely see why people like the characters. The dialogue has a very believable flow to it and characters behave and react like real people would (most of the time). I'll definitely be interested to see how things pick up.

This I find really strange, cause the least detailed character is the main character shulk(his face)

my party for story is

shulk(you need his monado in the story most of the time)
reyn(tons of health, takes the agro from the team, has a strong thrust move and oh its reyn time)
sharla (healer)

hard quests battles

dunban(great topple move)
reyn(shield bash to daze foes)
sharla(healer)

wrowa

Cwarrior said:
shulk(you need his monado in the story most of the time)
I'm pretty sure you can do most of the story (and even most bosses) without using the Monado.

At least someone in this thread said that.

Starwolf_UK said:
Don't worry.
Using the sword would achieve the same (the vision showed you it was poisoned this comes as a shock to her and she doesn't trust you or anyone...) as far as it goes. Apparently she is hiding where Otharon was in the Ether mines. An endgame sidequest with
(quest giver)
Miller
will
resolve this pot line.
(details, maybe not at that point yet)
The shield route is delivering a letter(?) and the sword route is some sort of investigation(?)

As for the affinity
I'm sure you get it back by talking to people and buliding up links. Did it actually go from 3 stars to 2 stars. The Japanese webpage says you gain x000 rep points (can't rembmer is x is 3 or 5) for doing the quest anyway so I'm wondering if it is a missing negative symbol there

Ah k thanks. The affinity didn't drop from 3 stars to 2 stars, it's just that instead of gaining affinity for completing the quest, I lost 3 "stars". Never had that before so I thought I picked a wrong choice :)

Diffense

wrowa said:
If it isn't possible to play it via Dolphin, the best way to play Xenoblade is on an old CRT, which unfortunately brings it own share of problems.

I like the looks of Xenoblade, but it's one of the Wii games that would have benefitted from additional horsepower the most. I can't wait for what Monolith delivers on the Wii U.

I do have one hanging around but MHTri really looked horrible on it (the text ugh) so I probably wont go there
And I don't think my Q6600 CPU can manage Dolphin.
The game looks good but you can see it being held back by the Wii as far as IQ is concerned.

Dragon

Banned
MicH said:
Fuck. Nothing today. I reordered somewhere else. Now if only GAME would reply to my e-mail...

Well Game's website has been down for more than a day, I'm not too optimistic now :/.

wrowa

Diffense said:
The game looks good but you can see it being held back by the Wii as far as IQ is concerned.
Standing on a high place with a great view of the world can be pretty frustrating. On the one hand I want to think "wow, this looks gorgeous", on the other hand something in my head says "wow, look at those saber-toothed tiger edges".

Diffense

MicH said:
Fuck. Nothing today. I reordered somewhere else. Now if only GAME would reply to my e-mail...

Where are you?
I'm located in the North East and the game arrived ten days after dispatch (from GAME).
So yeah, it takes a while and may take longer depending on where you live.

SecretMoblin said:
The technique:
Target the lvl 78 Gogol.
Lure it and while you're running to the cliff, select Hypnotize.
When it gets close to the cliff, hit Hypnotize and immediately hold ZR and down on the d-pad.
Get in position, let go of ZR/down, and quickly select the Spear and hit it.

I've managed it a few time now, with a lot of fails in between, and to be honest the EXP isn't even that good.

Dragon

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
My copy will NOT show up today.

Going with a more pessimistic approach.

Yeah I was really optimistic to get off work yesterday. So I'm going to do this too.

Surprises are better than disappointments...

MicH

Diffense said:
Where are you?
I'm located in the North East and the game arrived ten days after dispatch (from GAME).
So yeah, it takes a while and may take longer depending on where you live.
That's the worst part. I'm in fucking Europe and GAME has taken 14 days to deliver this far. Usually it takes 5. Something is definitely wrong.

Zafir

CruxisMana said:
I've managed it a few time now, with a lot of fails in between, and to be honest the EXP isn't even that good.
According to that video you posted, the closer you get to their level, the more XP you get.

CruxisMana said:

It gets easier to perform the more you do it, and the experience you get remarkably increases as you get closer to its level. I'd be interested in the math behind the experience calculations in the game and the rationale for this system.

I'm just very used to the fixed EXP systems of Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy.

Diffense

MicH said:
That's the worst part. I'm in fucking Europe and GAME has taken 14 days to deliver this far. Usually it takes 5. Something is definitely wrong.

WTH?
I just assumed you were in America when you said you were waiting so long.
I hope its still on its way. Mail can be unpredictable sometimes.

Zafir

SecretMoblin said:
It gets easier to perform the more you do it, and the experience you get remarkably increases as you get closer to its level. I'd be interested in the math behind the experience calculations in the game and the rationale for this system.

I'm just very used to the fixed EXP systems of Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy.
I'm betting they didn't think of people killing mobs at such higher levels, so consequently, the sort of algorithm they're using for experience decay after you overlevel the mob, Im sure it works in reverse too.

Finalow

finalozzo said:
eh, i used it but it says "RESIST".
then i need 20 minutes to charge my monado skills, maybe because i can't hit him. =/
* i'm stuck here, against the dinobeast.
that skill is useless, it works only on a combo chain and after 6 seconds is gone. wtf?

MicH said:

Mich if you havent gotten it yet something is definitley going on with GAME. Massively delayed deliveries, their site is down AND theyre not responding to emails. Its like they collected our money and disappeared. hahaha.

my buddy received his copy and he lives two hours away from me. >=(

Top Bottom