• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Zafir

Ledsen said:
Lol i guess I'm overlevelled, just entered the city where those people live at lvl 42 :)
I stopped doing sidequests. I was overleveled up to the swamp area, but then I just got sick of doing them. I blame WoW, playing that just killed my love for sidequests.

totowhoa

Banned
WTF? Why is my TV in black and white when I boot this game up D: Do I need new cables? Tried a quick google search and I saw that.

Playing PAL on an NTSC Wii. First time setting up homebrew so I think I might have fucked something up. One version of Gecko won't work at all (flickers, black and white, and an error appears), while the better version works just fine but it's all black and white.

Darn, I wanted to play this now :( Any tips GAF? I tried searching this thread with Google but saw nothing like this pop up

Sklorenz said:
WTF? Why is my TV in black and white when I boot this game up D: Do I need new cables? Tried a quick google search and I saw that.

Playing PAL on an NTSC Wii. First time setting up homebrew so I think I might have fucked something up. One version of Gecko won't work at all (flickers, black and white, and an error appears), while the better version works just fine but it's all black and white.

Darn, I wanted to play this now :( Any tips GAF? I tried searching this thread with Google but saw nothing like this pop up
tried forcing it to NTSC?

Sklorenz said:

Are you using a CRT SDTV or an HDTV? What type of connection are you using? Have you tried forcing NTSC? I tried it on two CRTs and two HDTVs and it worked fine with composite and component.

It should work.

KarmaCow

Zafir said:
I stopped doing sidequests. I was overleveled up to the swamp area, but then I just got sick of doing them. I blame WoW, playing that just killed my love for sidequests.

The problem aren't the idea of sidequests, it's the shitty sidequests that are either some bloodthirsty local who wants 5 bunny hearts or some guy who can't find his son who is 10 feet behind him.

totowhoa

Banned
Ah, thanks. I needed to force NTSC. That wasn't in any of the tutorials I'd seen. I had tried forcing the PAL because I was viewing the issue in reverse. Dunno why that didn't occur to me. Thanks :) I'm a homebrow newbie here, so I can see that was a silly question now.

It frequently says "No DVD found" which is kind of annoying. I have to retry a few times before it catches it. Ah well, at least I have color now.

Zafir

KarmaCow said:
The problem aren't the idea of sidequests, it's the shitty sidequests that are either some bloodthirsty local who wants 5 bunny hearts or some guy who can't find his son who is 10 feet behind him.
True enough. I quite enjoyed Yakuza 4's sidequests oddly enough, and Witcher 2's for that matter.

I especially found it hilarious in
Colony 6
there was this romance quest, and they were literelly 5inches from each other, and yet they still wanted me to walk between them to give them stuff from each other.

Cwarrior

CruxisMana said:
D37LE.png

For Cwarrior.

Just done quickly.

Thanks

Chanser said:
Only just found out about the trading option with NPC's. :x

40hrs in,I just found out about collectapeida and i haven't traded with anyone yet.

I was supposed to advance the main story today and somehow ended up spending like 5 hours doing sidequests AGAIN, it's always a case of "hey i'll just do this last one" and then mid mission another 2 NPC's will emerge from nowhere bearing tantalizing exclamation marks pertaining to tasks that seem simple enough that I'll be done with them in a few minutes......and then I end up doing tons of them.

But I did gain a new liking for the mountain area when sidequesting, finally finding the path to the summit took all morning but it was a glorious moment, there are so many small paths that aren't noticeable unless you are scanning the map with hawk eyes.

DMPrince said:
Didn't get anything in the mail today. oh usps. i hope ASDA didn't write 'XENOBLADE' on the customs sheet. watch it sayd "BLADE" and USPS thinks it's something dangerous lol.

I'm in the struggle with you, bro

blackpantherfist.jpg

Sklorenz said:

Im no expert but sounds like it isn't in 60hz mode. You should be able to change that somewhere :d.

Go_Ly_Dow

Oh Reyn....

WHATTA BUNCHA JOKERZ
WHATTA BUNCHA JOKERZ
WHATTA BUNCHA JOKERZ
WHATTA BUNCHA JOKERZ

Time to go back and spend some time in Colony 6 before advancing further with the story.

JennyTablina said:
I asked a while ago but still struggling with one quest. Search quest 2 in Colony 9 - gotta find a Blue Glass Bead for a Nonpon and cant find it ANYWHERE on Colony 9 - I swear I looked behind every house in the residental area and found nothing : (

Same problem here. Looked everywhere twice!

Varion

CruxisMana said:
But surely it should come as a surprise for the player to see for themselves, rather than them seeing it beforehand in an advert. The game treats it as a revelation, so surely the marketing should avoid it. Same goes for some of the scenes in the adverts, which don't take place until at least 30-40 hours into the game. I'm 42 hours into the game and I went to watch one of the adverts the other day and had to turn it off because it STILL featured scenes that I hadn't seen yet.
This seems to be the way trailers work these days, marketing's quite happy to show you anything they think might possibly boost sales even if it means spoiling you silly by the time you actually get to play the game. It's why I pretty much go on blackout as soon as I've decided I'm definitely going to buy a game, it's pretty obvious most companies' idea of a spoiler is either radically different to my own, or they just don't care.

In game progress, finally done almost every single sidequest I'm able to do at this point, and every sidequest that will be unavailable later. Now to finally move on with the story.

Yeah just opened Shulk's 4th skill tree. A good time to as well, he's 3 skills away from learning his starting trees. Now I don't want to progress until I've got everybody elses. Must finish sidequests.

I was burning out a little bit on the game (although having a really bad week for migraines wasn't helping, something about this game's colour pallette seemed to set them off) but I'm getting my second wind.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got my first 5 star area (
Frontier Village
). I guess I should move on with the story now, I'm 60 hours in and just after
Prison Island

Varion

TheBaldEmperor said:
Same problem here. Looked everywhere twice!
Does it not show up on the minimap as a red exclamation mark? The wiki says enter the residential district by the south west entrance then look behind a house near there, and that you'll need to jump to reach it. So long since I did that bit I can't remember anything else, but the house that most seems to fit their description is immediately to the right of the entrance - enter the area, immediately head to the right and you'll see some stacked boxes and barrels that you can jump over. Is it behind there by any chance?

Zafir

Varion said:
Does it not show up on the minimap as a red exclamation mark? The wiki says enter the residential district by the south west entrance then look behind a house near there, and that you'll need to jump to reach it. So long since I did that bit I can't remember anything else, but the house that most seems to fit their description is immediately to the right of the entrance - enter the area, immediately head to the right and you'll see some stacked boxes and barrels that you can jump over. Is it behind there by any chance?
Yeah, it definitely is there, I remember picking something up from that exact spot. Had to jump over a crate.

daakusedo

I'm in the late game and I'm speechless. The environments are incredible, the art is easily on par with what retro can do and the place where I am tend to be in the same style of things in metroid prime serie. And there is a pretty cool music with donkey kong country factory vibe.

With the different teams nintendo have and known for their art quality, I have great hope for what we'll see on wii u.

About colony 6, I need elements from level 70+ enemy and I'm not really ready, so after 100 hours I discover that you can get them by troc and giving high value objects, better late than never.

holy mother of f..

placidly roaming around
Bionis' leg, killing Ponios with me friend Reyn, suddenly the "Big Mutha Trouble" music starts and a GIGANTIC ENORMOUS ANGRY UGLY TROLL CREATURE NAMED ROTBART THE TERRITORIAL LEVEL 81 APPROACHES...I quickly select the "run for your life" icon and run we did, but the gigantic thing one shotted the both of us

I love this game

I'll stop for the day, I'm now level 91/92 at 136:22

Seeing as my sidequests are almost all ones that require the near max level to compete, I'm doing some xp farming.

I did something cool also tonight, regarding the key to the Warehouse in Tephra Cave.
The key is hidden behind a unique level 96, and guarded by a normal enemy level 96. I was running because I was chased by some unique bird level 97 or something, and to my surprise managed to get behind the unique level 96, he didn't see me, and then the aggro for all other enemies dropped instantly. The only thing between me and the key was thus the normal 96, I was 90 at the time with a team not really cut for damage output, it took some time because I missed a lot of the time but eventually he went down.
I then went and entered the warehouse, at last after all those hours waiting to do so.
Felt good.

Anasui Kishibe said:
holy mother of f..

placidly roaming around
Bionis' leg, killing Ponios with me friend Reyn, suddenly the "Big Mutha Trouble" music starts and a GIGANTIC ENORMOUS ANGRY UGLY TROLL CREATURE NAMED ROTBART THE TERRITORIAL LEVEL 81 APPROACHES...I quickly select the "run for your life" icon and run we did, but the gigantic thing one shotted the both of us

I love this game
That takes me back, I had the exact same event all those hours ago, truly one of the most memorable moments of the lot

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Riki
is a great character, right off the bat. Really high HP, fast recharge times for his spells, including one of the best healing spells around. Lots of positional attacks as well, and the ability to cast a bunch of debuffs. He's definitely my favorite player controlled character now.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Cwarrior said:
Thanks

40hrs in,I just found out about collectapeida and i haven't traded with anyone yet.
You are me. This is my situation exactly. Wish I would've found out about the collectapedia before.

8BitsAtATime said:
I finished the collectapedia section for Colony 9. Chewy Radish was by far the hardest to find.
Trust me, things will get way, way worse later on. Especially since you need to decide whether to put your collectables in your collectapedia or keep them for quests...

Hiltz

I just did nothing but side quests today but only played for a few hours after work. I guess it's because I already have better equipment and have leveled up a lot ,but most of the rewards from completing these quests haven't offered any good rewards except for improving affinity. Oh well, at least I got some of that and found some new landmarks in the process.

I kind of wish this game had a vehicle you could roam around on even just on the Bionos Leg. It would feel like a safari but one where you could mess around by driving over cliffs and watch as high level monsters chase after you. Darn it, the game even has
Juju from Colony 6's refugee camp riding in a buggie !
Monolith Soft, you have do let us do it if there's ever a sequel to Xenoblade or a new game like it.

Varion

Alright, so I got up to the point of return for the bulk of timed quests. Not all of them, some of them expire in stages before here, so the general rule of thumb is when you're getting to fight level
54 or so
enemies in dungeons, finish off any previous timed quests in fields/dungeons and clear every quest in your current dungeon before moving on. You don't need to worry about the towns at this point though.

After that (aka when you should be worrying about towns) they don't specifically mention that you're at a point of no return for quests, but you'll be asked "Are you ready? [extra text box here deleted for spoilers] Are you sure you're ready?" (paraphrased) followed by a yes or no question in order to proceed after a bunch of awesome cutscenes. Make sure to do any and all timed quests you want to do that you've got left at this point.

For anyone concerned about Heart-to-Hearts, apparently none of those are missable. Too bad I found this out after spending hours farming certain character affinities. Oh well, not like it was wasted time, I'd have to do it eventually anyway.

I finally started the game. I was waiting for a friend to be able to check it out too. Within 30 minutes of playing it, he wants to own it. Let me just say that the graphics might be jaggy compared to PS3/360, but that doesn't bother me at all when the game is so damn awesome. We spent 30 minutes swimming around the lake around the town collecting items. We saw some on a beach and swam towards it... then we saw a LVL 70 guy! Our faces -> 0_0 We got the hell out of there!

The music is amazing, the voice acting is much better than I thought it'd be. NoA is making a big mistake not releasing it here.

EDIT: I see that if you register the game you get to download the soundtrack. Since it is a download, is there anyway for me to make an account and get it since I'm in the US?

finnally could play this gem more .. i think i finished the prologue since i've got the monado now...i wasn't expecting THIS as a prologue end. The bad news is that i'm disapointed by how it went .. ( even if it was epic IMO ) , and the good news is that i want more of this ....

Sidequesting in this game is really a true distraction

R_thanatos said:
Sidequesting in this game is really a true distraction
A welcome distraction, honestly. Even if I love (love love love) just wandering around the world, it's great to have these little minor quests to do to give the wandering some focus.

TDLink

My copy from 365 also arrived, just got done with a 7 hour play session when I found it after coming home from work. This game is amazing already.

Bennettt2

Nekobo said:
297369_10100710593626496_2512601_63322098_2578234_n.jpg

My copy from 365games arrived today. So it took about a week. I'm ready to rock and roll.
just...beautiful...

Even my 7 year old niece is loving this game. She likes to swim around, collect gems, and fight easy monsters for me. She also likes to keep up with the story cutscenes. She calls it the part where they talk.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, now that this is out elsewhere, has anyone come up with a great Dolphin config for it? I have the Japanese version, but I really can't stand how it looks on the Wii on my 47" TV. I then tried it on Dolphin for about six hours, and it looked great, but I kept having sound issues which would cause the game to stutter terribly.

I hope this kind of question isn't unwelcome in here.

So are you guys playing this on HDTVs also getting flicker? If not, I'm gonna get a small-ish HDTV (I really don't watch enough TV to warrant an expensive TV and I couldn't be more far from being a graphics whore).

I take it getting a like 23 inch 720p TV is going to make most SD content look OK?

Pikma

Banned
Guys, Is GAME the only store store import-selling the Xenoblade-CCPro package? because it's been having awful problems for like 3-4 days (it's currently down), and I really want to buy the game now, since it takes so much time to arrive. :(

Top Bottom