• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Frillen

magicalsoundshower said:
So are you guys playing this on HDTVs also getting flicker? If not, I'm gonna get a small-ish HDTV (I really don't watch enough TV to warrant an expensive TV and I couldn't be more far from being a graphics whore).

I take it getting a like 23 inch 720p TV is going to make most SD content look OK?

The game looks great on my 46 inch LED Samsung set with component cables. No flickering at all.

ymmv

Banned
Zefah said:
So, now that this is out elsewhere, has anyone come up with a great Dolphin config for it? I have the Japanese version, but I really can't stand how it looks on the Wii on my 47" TV. I then tried it on Dolphin for about six hours, and it looked great, but I kept having sound issues which would cause the game to stutter terribly.

I hope this kind of question isn't unwelcome in here.

I'm playing the game with a patched version of Dolphin 7714M, a patched disc image and it works superbly. No sound issues at all, I've been playing the game for 14 hours now.

My settings (taken from a posting in the Dolphin thread)

Config Menu (General)

Enable Dual Core
Enable Idle Skipping
Framelimit Off
JIT Recompiler
Lock Threads to Cores

Config Menu (Audio)

DSP HLE emulation
Enable DTK Music
Enable Audio Throttle
Audio Backend: XAudio2
Sample Rate: 48000

Graphics Menu (General)

Direct3D9
Fullscreen resolution: 1680x1050 (use your native monitor resolution)
Aspect Ratio: Auto
V-Sync
Fullscreen
Show FPS
Auto Adjust Window Size

Graphics Menu (Enhancements)

4x Native (2560x2112)
Anti-Aliasing: None
Anisotropic Filtering: 1x

Graphics Menu (Hacks)

Ignore Format Changes
EFB Copies: Virtual (Render-to-Texture Effects)
EFB Copies: RAM
External Frame Buffer: Disable
Disable Per-Pixel Depth
OpenCL Texture Decoder (can slow down performance if your video card isn't very good)
OpenMP Texture Decoder

I'm playing on a Core i7 980x with a GTX560ti. No slowdowns, 30fps all the way. I can't imagine the playing on my Wii when the emulation is this good. It's a gorgeous game in 1080p.

wsippel

Banned
So, I decided to wrap things up yesterday and do the last dungeon, lv 97 after doing the few remaining quests and killing some named mobs for affinity coins. The problem is that I'm so ridiculously overpowered now that story bosses basically die when I sneeze in their general direction. lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ymmv said:
I'm playing the game with a patched version of Dolphin 7714M, a patched disc image and it works superbly. No sound issues at all, I've been playing the game for 14 hours now.

My settings (taken from a posting in the Dolphin thread)

I'm playing on a Core i7 980x with a GTX560ti. No slowdowns, 30fps all the way. I can't imagine the playing on my Wii when the emulation is this good. It's a gorgeous game in 1080p.

Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow.

I've got a Core i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz with a Radeon 5870 HD. I hope it's not just your insane processor that's letting you get flawless performance.

Zefah said:
Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow.

I've got a Core i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz with a Radeon 5870 HD. I hope it's not just your insane processor that's letting you get flawless performance.

Nah, your Sandybridge i5 will more than take care of business (great OC too if you're into that FYI). But my roommate ripped our Xenoblade game and is running it flawlessly off our old gaming rig which is a Q6600 (Core2Quad), GTX295. So you'll be straight running Xenoblade on that rig as long as your settings are correct.

Apparently(according to a computer magazine) this game took the No1 spot here in Austria as well.

I'm pretty damn sure it sells damn well in EU.

Ulthwe

I've read around here that the game warns you when you're about to pass the "point of no return" in the time limited quests you've accepted.

Is that true?

Chanser

Ulthwe said:
I've read around here that the game warns you when you're about to pass the "point of no return" in the time limited quests you've accepted.

Is that true?

Varion said:
Alright, so I got up to the point of return for the bulk of timed quests. Not all of them, some of them expire in stages before here, so the general rule of thumb is when you're getting to fight level
54 or so
enemies in dungeons, finish off any previous timed quests in fields/dungeons and clear every quest in your current dungeon before moving on. You don't need to worry about the towns at this point though.

After that (aka when you should be worrying about towns) they don't specifically mention that you're at a point of no return for quests, but you'll be asked "Are you ready? [extra text box here deleted for spoilers] Are you sure you're ready?" (paraphrased) followed by a yes or no question in order to proceed after a bunch of awesome cutscenes. Make sure to do any and all timed quests you want to do that you've got left at this point.

For anyone concerned about Heart-to-Hearts, apparently none of those are missable. Too bad I found this out after spending hours farming certain character affinities. Oh well, not like it was wasted time, I'd have to do it eventually anyway.

I'll put this here.

wsippel

Banned
Ulthwe said:

Is that true?
More or less. It's only really obvious the first and the last time it happens, but there are several such points throughout the game. It's usually a good idea to be suspicious every time someone asks you if you wish to proceed - it either means that you're about to enter an area you can't leave until you've cleared it, or that events are about to unfold that might affect unfinished timed side quests. Or both.

Ulthwe

Chanser said:
I'll put this here.
wsippel said:
More or less. It's only really obvious the first and the last time it happens, but there are several such points throughout the game. It's usually a good idea to be suspicious every time someone asks you if you wish to proceed - it either means that you're about to enter an area you can't leave until you've cleared it, or that events are about to unfold that might affect unfinished timed side quests. Or both.
Many thanks, didn't feel like going through the old posts.

Hiltz

Got to level 33 after 28 hours now at
Makna forest . The game's sending Shulk on his own to look for some big waterfall to mine for crystals. I assume Melia will eventually be a playable character soon. I've been controlling Sharla with Shulk and Dunban in my party so I was wondering who which party member would be good to swap out for if Melia becomes playable character soon.

Hiltz said:
Got to level 33 after 28 hours now at
Makna forest . The game's sending Shulk on his own to look for some big waterfall to mine for crystals. I assume Melia will eventually be a playable character soon. I've been controlling Sharla with Shulk and Dunban in my party so I was wondering who which party member would be good to swap out for if Melia becomes playable character soon.

You can swap out Sharla or Shulk, depending on what you whether you want an all-out damage team or a death-by-1000-cuts approach with Sharla playing healer. Melia is awful when the AI controls her, though, so don't put her in your team if you aren't planning on making her your main.

I'm totally addicted to this game. I love RPGs that hook me like this. They don't come along very often, but when they do I'm blown away.

Now I need some help people... Where the heck do I find the advanced arts manuals for such characters like Shulk, Reyn and Sharla?

I've started getting the odd one for some characters in item chests but I've not found a shop that sells them. It's holding my characters back now as I have loads of points to spend leveling these arts up.

HALP!

65hrs in, level 69 and just in the
Mechonis Capital
. I don't want it to end :p

But man is there some framerate problems here. You get the odd times elsewhere but shits happens quite a lot.

wsippel

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
I'm totally addicted to this game. I love RPGs that hook me like this. They don't come along very often, but when they do I'm blown away.

Now I need some help people... Where the heck do I find the advanced arts manuals for such characters like Shulk, Reyn and Sharla?

I've started getting the odd one for some characters in item chests but I've not found a shop that sells them. It's holding my characters back now as I have loads of points to spend leveling these arts up.

HALP!

65hrs in, level 69 and just in the
Mechonis Capital
. I don't want it to end :p

But man is there some framerate problems here. You get the odd times elsewhere but shits happens quite a lot.
You can't buy them anywhere. They're random drops.

So I'm at that point of no return for a certain bath of timed sidequests, I think (I know its end of Chapter
15 or 16, given I should be at the start of 16 its probably that
*). Only got one left to do**, then I can advance the story *feelsgoodman*.

*-This is one thing I dislike about game. It would be a lot easier to organise sidequests and not worry about psoilers if the game said what chapter you were on. As for chapters, I assume each time the game asks you to make a system save indicates that chapter has finished.
**-
Finding the VIP Club

Affinity wise it took me to do "all" the timed quests in
Alcomath
to get 5 stars for those people. I think there were 55 in total. I had about 47 done. Well when I say "all" I was missing Collect Quest 2 but I think do very little for affinity (unless they come from a named character and not "*area* resident").

The Spoony Hou said:
Man, I set CFG to force NTSC, and the game still looks scaled, like it has 720 horizontal lines and is trying to fit that in 640. Too bad.

Maybe it's because it's PAL and force NTSC doesn't make it perfect it made no difference, actually)? I wish I had the Jp release to check.
Are you sure thats not due to anamoprhic widescreen? Wii can only output 640*480, even in 16:9 so how does it get the extra 100 or so pixels of width to fill the screen? Rectangular pixels. This has the side-effect of making it jagged and scaled, this might be what you're describing.

But if you mean any sort of letterboxing. Somethings gone very wrong as PAL60 will fill the screen (its the same resolution and refresh as NTSC except in PAL colour coding). That or the Wii is set to 4:3 (game is 16:9 only so on 4:3 screen it scales down the picture into a 16:9 window)...

linko9 said:
I'm sure this has been asked many times, but is there any reliable sales data on this game yet?
Europe rarely gets any sort of numbers. Still from estimates UK looks likely to be 10,000 so far.

Katana_Strikes said:
1) Where the heck do I find the advanced arts manuals

2) But man is there some framerate problems here. You get the odd times elsewhere but shits happens quite a lot.
1) Your observation is correct. Sadly, they are only found as drops from enemies*, I think each one can drop from 3 enemies though.
*-Excpetions:
Summon Bolt, one of Shulks skills and all Modao
btw the first two also drop from enemies just to infuriate the player.

2) Plased I'm not the only one having that. I thought my Wii GPU was dying.

Btw t area you're in
I think is chapter 15 and the quests there expire at the end of chapter 15.

MicH

Didn't get it today either. Definitely lost in the mail. And of course I can't get in contact with GAME. Fucking hell. And it's sold out everywhere. Goddammit, Nintendo!

MicH said:
Didn't get it today either. Definitely lost in the mail. And of course I can't get in contact with GAME. Fucking hell. And it's sold out everywhere. Goddammit, Nintendo!
If you live in Europe, can't you find a local store who still has it? It would be surprising if they're all out of stock.

MicH said:

Buy a second copy from elsewhere while you wait for GAME to sort it out.
Everyone should buy a second copy.
And a third copy.

MicH

Out_Of_Ammo said:
If you live in Europe, can't you find a local store who still has it? It would be surprising if they're all out of stock.
I could, but they are soo expensive :( But.. I think I'll do it anyway. I need this game now before classes begin Monday.

Duki

Banned
is this game p challenging

i dont even know if the comparison makes sense gameplay wise but from the trailers and stuff it looks like ffxii

my favourite part of ffxii were the hunts you could do throughout the game as you progressed the story and they would throw things at you which were much harder than anything else youd face at your level, but which were beatable with some strategy and thinking

does this game do similar stuff or is it more facerolly and you outlevel the monsters quickly

its got some 80 level monsters in a 15 level area, and some 38 levels in a 3 level area, not sure if this answers your question but it seems to scale nicely along with your level besides those exceptions

KarmaCow

You can take on enemies a few levels above you but if they're 5+ levels above your characters, you'll have a hard time even hitting them.

Just don't do too many sidequests or you'll be really over leveled for most of the game. I spent the first 30 hours with almost everything you're meant to fight being ~5 levels below me because I did the sidequests.

Duki

Banned
KarmaCow said:
You can take on enemies a few levels above you but if they're 5+ levels above your characters, you'll have a hard time even hitting them.

Just don't do too many sidequests or you'll be really over leveled for most of the game. I spent the first 30 hours with almost everything you're meant to fight being ~5 levels below me because I did the sidequests.
but then are the sidequests absurdly easy when you come back to them later?

seems like a no win, either way something isnt going to be fun

thats why i liked ffxii seemed really balanced, nothing overleveled you for the plot OR the sidequests unless you went out of your way to farm

can you even come back to the sidequests or is there a lot of permanently missable stuff

MicH

I took you guys' suggestion and went out and bought a copy - and who would have known, we even have the controller bundle here in Denmark! And for only £12 more than the regular edition. I snatched that (their one and only one at that, the store didn't sell a single copy of the game :(). So a big fuck you to GAME and now it's time to dig into this baby :D

MicH said:
I took you guys' suggestion and went out and bought a copy - and who would have known, we even have the controller bundle here in Denmark! And for only £12 more than the regular edition. I snatched that (their one and only one at that, the store didn't sell a single copy of the game :(). So a big fuck you to GAME and now it's time to dig into this baby :D
Now it's finally Reyn-time for you ;)

KarmaCow

Duki said:
but then are the sidequests absurdly easy when you come back to them later?

seems like a no win, either way something isnt going to be fun

thats why i liked ffxii seemed really balanced, nothing overleveled you for the plot OR the sidequests unless you went out of your way to farm

can you even come back to the sidequests or is there a lot of permanently missable stuff

Forgot to mention that some sidequests exp while others don't so you can kinda pick a choose which quests to do if you're worried about over leveling. Though for some quests, if you complete the objective it auto completes so you can't just leave them unfinished to avoid getting exp.

Anyways, there are three major type of sidequests. Kill X enemies/Get X drops from enemies, kill a unique monster and talk to different people to transfer items. There is mixing between the three so they can become pointless other than for grinding reputation with the area.

As for losing quests, there are some timed ones but all the quests I've encountered haven't had anything really amazing in the long run.

Melhisedek said:
I've read something about being able to patch the ISO and play it 30FPS with Dolphin. Can something similar be done with wii and cfg?
From what I understand you shouldn't need to do it on hardware*. The patch for Dolphin reminds me of something out of the Nesticle days of "hey the emulator doesn't support this, lets change the ROM instead". Various other PAL games when run in Dolphin have the same problem of being 25FPS, it used to be setting progressive scan fixed it.

*-I don't have compound eyes so am not great with framerates but I think earlier in the thread people said it ran at 30.

A question: I'm almost sure I have killed some unique monsters before some NPC put a bounty on them. The game don't recognize I've already beat them, and they don't respawn, so I'm screwed, right?

TheExplodingHead said:
Nah, your Sandybridge i5 will more than take care of business (great OC too if you're into that FYI). But my roommate ripped our Xenoblade game and is running it flawlessly off our old gaming rig which is a Q6600 (Core2Quad), GTX295. So you'll be straight running Xenoblade on that rig as long as your settings are correct.

Is his Q6600 overclocked? Can you share his settings?

Also, I've seen some people saying they received their copies from 365Games - anyone from Texas?

mclem

Santerestil said:
A question: I'm almost sure I have killed some unique monsters before some NPC put a bounty on them. The game don't recognize I've already beat them, and they don't respawn, so I'm screwed, right?

They'll respawn. I've had one respawn on top of me by repeatedly teleporting to the nearest landmark, it's quite possible that fiddling with the in-game clock would also do so.

My hunch is that every time you 'reset' an area (teleport, probably clock too), all the normal monsters spawn and a random selection of uniques do so too.

Recently found out that you don't actually need to have a quality over 100% to start gem crafting - I've been spending some time 'distilling' gems; going for a large range of qualities and focussing heavily on gentle flame/cylinder boosts to break them all into individual cylinders. When you have a cylinder of a single quality (or better still, two cylinders of a single quality to get a chance of HEAT), you can go all-out with strong flames to get over the 100%(/200%/300%) mark.

Repeated Save/load a trick to making uniques respwan. I still think its the daft they respwan at all and would be better if the quest auto completed upon acceptance in those cases.

As for crafting there are stat ranges on gems. Getting bearly over 100 will be minstat while nearer to 200 will be max (numbers might be slightly off). There is a gap between maxstat one level and minstat the next level. For heat due to not seeing numbers you can't tell where you'll be in that stat area expect
Mega heat is always maxstat and you get two of the gem so this is the one to try to aim for
but that is harder to do until later in the game (higher affinities for more turns etc).

Gvaz

Banned
Fahrenheit said:
Any version I use I still get audio bugs. :( so is life in the emu zone/.
Same, it's a cpu thing.

It's just what you have to deal with when you emulate anything really.

Kawl_USC

So with this game being sold out at all the online importers and all the trouble with shipping some people have had
:lol RPGCrazied
is there any possibility of some one in the UK (or other places if they have the same game just with subtitle language differences) being able to pick it up from a brick and mortar and sending it (preferably with UPS or some other carrier) to the US for cost/shipping plus a little extra?

2 weeks of waiting today and it wont be in my mailbox thats for damn sure.

If anyone is willing to help me out by sending me a copy you'll be greatly compensated.

Dragon

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
2 weeks of waiting today and it wont be in my mailbox thats for damn sure.

If anyone is willing to help me out by sending me a copy you'll be greatly compensated.

Two weeks in shipping will be Friday for me. I really want it this weekend, I don't have a ton of plans for it and it's a long weekend. Come on Game. Don't mess this up!! Positive thinking!

I just searched for Order Tracking on Game's website, since I can't check my order status since I don't have a login (which just changed on the site) and it redirected me to http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...chBtn.y=0&ddkey=http:AjaxPredictiveSearchView

Nice predictive search there buds.

Gvaz

Banned
finalozzo said:
on dolphin is crashing every 20 minutes. =/
What settings? what version? Whats your setup?

If you want help you need more information other than it's just not working right.

Amala said:
That's not cool. I'm hoping the shipping is just slow. They charged my credit card so I would assume it shipped out but I've heard some people saying that they ran out and erroneously processed orders as shipped. Apparently they get more on 9/2. If that's the case and they accidentally charged cards, at the very least they should overnight the copies when they get em in.

This is probably what happened.

Kawl_USC

Alright fuck it. Game.co.uk's site came back up and I decided to join the hordes that will be waiting for a delivery now. I had to get the edition with the CC Pro, and I paid the 5 extra for the higher tier of shipping (even though I don't know the exact details of it since that button wouldn't load) because I didn't feel like taking any chances. Overall, I really hope this game ends up being worth the $90.
If not I can just resell it to RPGCrazied, amirite?

Finalow

i would like to use
melia
but without
sharla
i don't know how to heal. Shulk's ability is not enough.

Gvaz said:
What settings? what version? Whats your setup?
If you want help you need more information other than it's just not working right.
dolphin r7671. I'm using the setup that someone posted here, maybe is the problem a 16x filter?

GAF, I just 100% the Collectopaedia for Colony 9 and it awarded me a new sword but it's not displaying in my inventory. Any idea what's up?

Top Bottom