• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

JumpingTheGun said:
It's not in Gecko. Set the TV to 480 through the Wii settings....as long as you are using component cables that is.
It is on component and is 480p through the Wii, until Xeno loads, at that point it switches to 480i for some reason.

ramyeon

Witchfinder General said:
This comes out today in Australia, right?

I might grab it at JB Hi-Fi later in the afternoon.
Yeah it does. I'll feel so silly for importing if mine doesn't come in the mail today. Although I did need the CE since I don't have a classic controller yet anyway.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
It is on component and is 480p through the Wii, until Xeno loads, at that point it switches to 480i for some reason.

not sure dude, but it might just be your TV doing that automatically for some reason. It happens with me too for some games. It really shouldnt make that much of a difference though, if any. We're talking Wii 480 not PS3/Xbox 1080

exhume

Yeah, I'm thinking of picking up a copy today too, though the retail price looks like it's about $100 here for the normal edition...really wishing I'd preordered from one of the UK retailers as it'd have been heaps cheaper but they're still all out of stock and I'm starting to worry it'll become rare :\

ramyeon

exhume said:
Yeah, I'm thinking of picking up a copy today too, though the retail price looks like it's about $100 here for the normal edition...really wishing I'd preordered from one of the UK retailers as it'd have been heaps cheaper but they're still all out of stock and I'm starting to worry it'll become rare :\
That's crazy, I paid less than $90 for the CE with the controller :/

exhume

ramyeon said:
That's crazy, I paid less than $90 for the CE with the controller :/
Yeah, no kiddin'! At least, those are the prices EB and JB's websites are giving me. What do you think my chances are of finding the game somewhere like kmart? :D

ramyeon

exhume said:
Yeah, no kiddin'! At least, those are the prices EB and JB's websites are giving me. What do you think my chances are of finding the game somewhere like kmart? :D
Not sure what they're like with release dates, but Kmart and Big W usually have a pretty decent range of Wii games.

Meanwhile I'll be waiting at my front door with my fingers crossed for the mail to arrive :(

Finalow

wsippel said:
Both.
You get the quest from Miller in Colony 9, then go to Emmy who hides in Ether Mine. Considering there' little reason to go there ever again and Miller doesn't know where she is, she would be next to impossible to find if nobody told you. Other than that, it's the most simple to get fifth skill tree.

And a few more optional skill trees - don't read until you reach Fallen Arm:

Reyn 4th tree: Ma'crish, Colony 6, daytime
Reyn 5th tree: Moritz, Colony 9/ Residential District, daytime

Melia 4th tree: Shalen, Eryth Sea/ Lighthouse
Melia 5th tree: Talia, Eryth Sea/ Ether Plant, daytime

Sharla 4th tree: Rasha, Frontier Village/ Sacred Altar, daytime
Sharla 5th tree: Don Argentis, Colony 6, daytime

Riki 4th tree: Dabidabi, Frontier Village/ top floor at the diving board, nighttime
Riki 5th tree: Nopon Sage, Makna Forest near the secret area at Makna Falls, between 1200 and 1500

Fiora 4th tree: Karlos, Fallen Arm/ Village, nighttime
Fiora 5th tree: Dullahan, Bionis Leg/ Refugee Camp, daytime

Some of them require really high levels. Gamebreakingly high. Level 95 or something.
thanks a lot, but desiree doesn't give me the 4th, why?
and tell: are the 4th and 5th good? Is this worth it?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So with some fiddling I FINALLY got it working flawlessly on my computer. I followed these settings but for one exception; instead of fullscreen, I set it to windowed. Runs smooth as butter now! :)

bubnbob

Banned
wsippel said:
Wild speculation, but anyone remember that artwork Monolith posted a while ago, with the UFO crash site in some desert? No, there are no UFOs in Xenoblade, but...

Ending spoilers:

I beat the game and I have no idea how you got any of this from it. Any.

I also suggest not talking about the ending... at all. Feel free to PM me though, I love reading theories about the end.

I love the fact the game is being so well received, not just by you guys but 'outside' media too. Seems like once they finally get to play it, more and more old RPG nuts are classing it finally a return to form for JRPGs. :D

Baten Kaitos Origins didn't get the attention it deserved but hopefully Xenoblade can garner more.

If only could sort out the lolAmerica problem and get it properly released. >_>

Varion

It's such a satisfying feeling going back to earlier areas in the endgame and taking care of long standing grudges.

Hello there Mr L81 Territorial, it's those guys you scared the crap out of 90 hours ago. Except we're L76 now. Not so tough now, are you?

Clever Pun said:
Is his Q6600 overclocked? Can you share his settings?

Also, I've seen some people saying they received their copies from 365Games - anyone from Texas?

Yeah it's OCed, @3.6GHz I believe, been a while since we did that so it could be 3.8 I'm not sure. Mainly I was just using it as a reference to his i5 2500k, which handily outperforms a OCed Q6600 at stock.

But anyway, I'll try and get him to give me his settings when he wakes up...but their probably the same settings from the Dolphin forums. As for me I'm old school, completed the whole game on the Wii. :p

Edit: Yep, he said same settings from the Dolphin forums.

SoulFist

Paging RPGCrazied. I got my order from Zaavi today! I live about three hours away from you in Oklahoma, so don't be surprised if you don't get it today or tomorrow! Woo hoo!

Unfortunately..I'm too exhausted to play @_@!

mine arrived yesterday, in Aus. Shipped on the 17th so those of you still fretting should be getting it soon i imagine.

feels like there's been some kind of hold-up because i had quite a few things coming from the UK and everything that shipped around the 13th or so got here well over a week before the stuff that shipped only four days later.

so yay! only i will have no time to play it until the weekend, and not much then either. life :(

SoulFist said:
Paging RPGCrazied. I got my order from Zaavi today! I live about three hours away from you in Oklahoma, so don't be surprised if you don't get it today or tomorrow! Woo hoo!

I hope he sees this. Even if things take a while to arrive, it doesn't mean they're lost or stolen!
probably

145:15, levels are 96/97/98.
I finally got every character's 4th and 5th skill trees, I'm chomping through bosses that even yesterday scared the crap out of me, mainly uniques levels 96 to 98.
Every faction is at 5*, 100%
colony 6 rebuild

Gaining levels is so easy even at level 98, the enemies give a lot and with help of skills, chain link and gems you can easily multiply that number.

In term of sidequests, I only have 3 left in my log, and they are not difficult at all now that I'm at their level. I hope there are still some left, I'll need to verify that.
A quick note concerning the end of the chain sidequest involving the Giants,
Got all 3 artefacts, I was prepared for an awesome finale after opening the last door and it happened! NOT! A bit disappointed on that part but it was still one the most enjoyable chain sidequest in the gain for me, along with the Red Pollen Orb case (that one has a freaking awesome finale)

When I'm 99 with all characters, I'll make a trip around the world and kill all uniques I didn't get until now. I know I got quite a bit more than half of them.

Oh and protip for anyone far enough in the story, if you see something called Sedna Drones (not telling where though), you've got yourself a winner there ^^ Try them, love them. I know I do!

MechaX

Varion said:
It's such a satisfying feeling going back to earlier areas in the endgame and taking care of long standing grudges.

Hello there Mr L81 Territorial, it's those guys you scared the crap out of 90 hours ago. Except we're L76 now. Not so tough now, are you?

I swear to god I'm going to kick the Sword Valley giant monster's ass one day.

Sophia

SecretMoblin said:
I hope he sees this. Even if things take a while to arrive, it doesn't mean they're lost or stolen!
probably

Maybe he's got his copy now? He's gone the entire page without posting. :lol

I still have to order mine, and I won't be able to til later today. :\

VillageBC

Finally beat the game! I have to say this is one of the most satisfying endings I've experienced after putting 70hrs+ into a game.

exhume

Just picked up a copy from EB for $99 D: I feel a little ripped off but I didn't want to take my chances on this still being in stock later down the track...oh well, at least my weekend is sorted now, haha!

Incidentally for anyone in Australia who's wondering, Kmart doesn't have it. Dude didn't even know what I was talkin' about...

C-Jo

Got my copy from Zavvi today; was dispatched on August 23rd.

I'm a total moron and I had Gecko OS installed and Xenoblade running in about 5 minutes.

Codeblue

SoulFist said:

Man, I still haven't gotten mine in Tulsa. At least they made it to the state. A whole two people from Oklahoma getting this game bodes well for sales. That's like 10% of the state population.

Codeblue said:
Man, I still haven't gotten mine in Tulsa. At least they made it to the state. A whole two people from Oklahoma getting this game bodes well for sales. That's like 10% of the state population.

Completely OT.... but fuck yeah Tulsa! God I miss that town and QTs!

bender

What time is it?
Codeblue said:

Denver here and still waiting. I feel your pain.

Codeblue

Hmm, you'd think it would make it to the big cities first. I'm not going to pretend to understand the mail though, just gonna keep patient.

Saint10118 said:
Completely OT.... but fuck yeah Tulsa! God I miss that town and QTs!

Ha! A friend and I were just talking about how having a QT and Walgreens on every corner was so convenient. Its a pretty amazing place to live.

Kawl_USC

Fuuuuuuuuck, so my Card saw the international charge, thought it was strange and filed it as fraud. Which means they didn't pay for the order. That's fine I called the company fraud hotline and got it all sorted out. But now Game.co.uk is rejecting my card for fraud failure.... Anything I can do???

C-Jo said:
Are you asking or telling? The TV says 480p, but I don't really care either way.
Blah, I wonder why mine downsets when it loads the game.. Weird...

For those wondering, I'm a Zavvi order, think they shipped on 14, arrived 31st, Florida USA.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DownLikeBCPowder said:

Just to confirm, you are using:

1. A component cable
2. a 480P capable TV such as any HDTV or a 2000s-era 32inch SDTV or greater

?

DownLikeBCPowder said:

For those wondering, I'm a Zavvi order, think they shipped on 14, arrived 31st, Florida USA.
I have high hopes for the coming days then! I'm in Alabama. Shipped around the same time.

The Australian version doesn't come with a CC Pro...is it recommended to use one?

I typically love a good old mote'n'chuk combo, but upon reading the manual it appeears this removes camera control?

_Alkaline_ said:
The Australian version doesn't come with a CC Pro...is it recommended to use one?

I typically love a good old mote'n'chuk combo, but upon reading the manual it appeears this removes camera control?
You can still control the camera with a mote'n'chuck, but it requires holding a button to maneuver.

I tried both, and CCPro is much more comfortable in my opinion. But you can play it however you choose! Some played through the game just fine with the wiimote controls, and several in this thread prefer it.

Gambit

You can also play it with the regular CC, should you have it. It's my preferred method of control. Somehow I find the handles on the Pro too narrow or should I say too straight down the controller's front. I like them at more of an angle. (Basically I just like the SNES feel of the regular CC)

Last night I played some more, about 11 hours in now, and got my fourth party member. I was determinecd that I would switch Reyn out immediately for
Dunban
as soon as
he
was available. But in the meantime Reyn has really grown on me. I thought he was like Wakka, but he is actually Wakka in (gasp) good!.
When he saved Otharion I thought it was really cool. Also, I liked that he told off Shulk and got him to share his visions with the others. That's something that always bothers me in JRPGs or many "chosen one" stories. The chosen one acts stupid and does not let the others in on his knowledge, which would make everything so much easier sometimes.
So I found it a nice surprise that Reyn would behave like a normal person and just a good friend towards Shulk.

Nevertheless I still think I will switch him out for number 4.
Dunban is just too cool to leave on the sidelines. Actually, for normal encounters, I might ditch Sharla and heal with Shulk.

Edit: twice it has happened to me now that the Xenoblade OT is not on the first page. I hope those were flukes

Gambit said:
You can also play it with the regular CC, should you have it. It's my preferred method of control. Somehow I find the handles on the Pro too narrow or should I say too straight down the controller's front. I like them at more of an angle. (Basically I just like the SNES feel of the regular CC)

Last night I played some more, about 11 hours in now, and got my fourth party member. I was determinecd that I would switch Reyn out immediately for
Dunban
as soon as
he
was available. But in the meantime Reyn has really grown on me. I thought he was like Wakka, but he is actually Wakka in (gasp) good!.
When he saved Otharion I thought it was really cool. Also, I liked that he told off Shulk and got him to share his visions with the others. That's something that always bothers me in JRPGs or many "chosen one" stories. The chosen one acts stupid and does not let the others in on his knowledge, which would make everything so much easier sometimes.
So I found it a nice surprise that Reyn would behave like a normal person and just a good friend towards Shulk.

Nevertheless I still think I will switch him out for number 4.
Dunban is just too cool to leave on the sidelines. Actually, for normal encounters, I might ditch Sharla and heal with Shulk.

Edit: twice it has happened to me now that the Xenoblade OT is not on the first page. I hope those were flukes
Trust me (and I think most everyone else):
Ditch Reyn for Dunban. Go to the leftmost skill tree, unequip everything but the weapon, load it up with agility gems and watch him slay everything with nary a scratch to show for it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Came back from JB Hi-Fi with the game and a black CC Pro. Just played the game a bit 'til I reached the first town. Wow, the game is awesome. I'm in love.

dock

I'm playing this on the regular Classic Controller. It's really comfortable and works great. I feel no pressure to get a Classic Controller Pro any time soon.

Lack of camera control on the nunchuk is a bit lame, so definitely use a classic controller if you can get one.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
dock said:
I'm playing this on the regular Classic Controller. It's really comfortable and works great. I feel no pressure to get a Classic Controller Pro any time soon.

Lack of camera control on the nunchuk is a bit lame, so definitely use a classic controller if you can get one.

You just have to press the c button for camera control. And to think, I just beat the game and didn't even think of trying out my classic controller. Oh well.

I think . . 56 hours later? Game over. I win!

Not really spoilers, but just in case:
all in all . . what the hell is a xenoblade exactly and why is this game called a chronicle of it? I'm just going to assume it's another name for the monado.

syoaran

SecretMoblin said:
Trust me (and I think most everyone else):
Ditch Reyn for Dunban. Go to the leftmost skill tree, unequip everything but the weapon, load it up with agility gems and watch him slay everything with nary a scratch to show for it.

Who do you pair with him later down the line? Currently I'm switching between
Reyn & Riki depending on the encounters. I'm just about to get to Prison Island, level 40

Also,
Any guide on where to get the materials for Colony 6. The hints are of no help at all...

Top Bottom