• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

mclem

Nocturnowl said:
Of all the item drops in the game so far, these were by far the worst to obtain, screw those jawa lookalikes and their stubborn refusal to give me planks!
By the way they are right at the back area of the jungle, they like to be chummy with those Orluga troll things.

Speaking of which (spoilers for minor sidequests in
Frontier Village
):

How the heck should I interpret the conclusions to the 'kill Orluga' quests? I'm not entirely sure I'm not basically acting as a mob enforcer, here. "Let us draw on you or FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES". I murder a bunch of them, and they send a letter of apology?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
a couple of maybe seemingly silly questions:

is the structure of the game very open and exploratory in nature?
is there another rpg--preferably something in the ps1/ps2 era--to which this would be comparable?

beelzebozo said:
is the structure of the game very open and exploratory in nature?
I've only played the game for five hours and just made it to the second large area, but at least early on, you have a city which the story and quests revolve around, but you're free to wander around slaughtering the landscape at your leisure. You can also fast travel just about anywhere, which is nice.
beelzebozo said:
is there another rpg--preferably something in the ps1/ps2 era--to which this would be comparable??
Knowing very little about the game before I popped it in, I was surprised at how much it reminded me of Skies of Arcadia, really. Not in terms of the battle system which is more FF12, but in terms of the tone and aesthetic (although a bit more serious than whimsical). I'm really loving it.

Also this game has like... five seconds of load time before a major cutscene or first booting it up, and then maybe one second per obscure menu option, otherwise everything is lightning fast.

Dascu

I hadn't even thought of the Skies of Arcadia comparison. It's rather spot-on. Both games capture that feel of exploration and discovery in a beautifully crafted open world.

MicH

I absolutely loooove that you get healed after every battle/injury. SO GOOD!

A question: Where the hell is Jiroque (whatever his name is)? I have to deliver him some cookies (lol) and I know he's in the Residential area. But where and when? I'm going crazy :( The only quest from Colony 9 I still have not managed to complete.

MicH said:
I absolutely loooove that you get healed after every battle/injury. SO GOOD!

A question: Where the hell is Jiroque (whatever his name is)? I have to deliver him some cookies (lol) and I know he's in the Residential area. But where and when? I'm going crazy :( The only quest from Colony 9 I still have not managed to complete.
did that quest last night.

he only comes out during the night and he's hanging out in the residential district. he's around the area up the stars where the heart to heart icon is. if you're going up the steps he should be on the left side in the gated area or he could be walking around.

RPGCrazied

What is with Zavvi? First they say by the 5th, if I don't have it, they can call this lost in the post, and maybe get my money back? Now look what I get today:

Thanks for your email

I am really sorry that you have not received your order.

This was sent to you on 15/08/2011

Delivery usually takes 15 working days.

We need to allow a further 15 days for your delivery to still arrive before this can been classed as lost in the post.

If you have not received this by the 15/09/2011 we can then start to trace this for you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me

Regards
Billie

Are they serious? I'm not waiting another 2 weeks, they must be high.

ramyeon

RPGCrazied said:
What is with Zavvi? First they say by the 5th, if I don't have it, they can call this lost in the post, and maybe get my money back? Now look what I get today:

Yes they're serious. 4 weeks is normal and for it to be reported as lost that's the minimum - otherwise it'd probably turn up and they'd be out of pocket for something that was out of their control. It'll come this week or next - it's been said a million times but relax! You're not the only one still waiting! You didn't even wait till the 5th like they first asked.

RPGCrazied said:

oh man. imagine them sending another email extending the wait period again.

Frillen

RPGCrazied said:

You are though.

RPGCrazied

Frillen said:
You are though.

I've already waited 2, why should I wait a month? When people that got it from Zavvi are getting theirs and already have. Defend Zavvi all you want people, won't change what I think of them.

RPGCrazied said:

That's the standard waiting period for all international shipments. Not a Zavvi thing.

ramyeon

RPGCrazied said:
I've already waited 2, why should I wait a month? When people that got it from Zavvi are getting theirs and already have. Defend Zavvi all you want people, won't change what I think of them.
I can't understand your reasoning for blaming them when everyone else is receiving theirs... Obviously the problem is in the postal system somewhere along the lines or even customs.

Lord Ghirahim said:
That's the standard waiting period for all international shipments. Not a Zavvi thing.
no i think it said the 5th in his first email. then he replied again only to have the date extended more lol.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
no i think it said the 5th in his first email. then he replied again only to have the date extended more lol.

It was. It seemed automated. Wait I have it. All they changed was the date. Like it was not even from a person.

Thanks for your email

I am really sorry that you have not received your order.

This was sent to you on 15/8/11

Delivery usually takes 3-5 working days.

We need to allow a further 5 days for your delivery to still arrive before this can been classed as lost in the post.

If you have not received this by the 5/9/11 we can then start to trace this for you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me

Regards
Nancy

ramyeon

DMPrince said:
Yeah but 4 weeks for international shipping is pretty standard. It's not a lot or unusual at all especially with free shipping. He went for the cheapest option so he's going to be waiting a bit.

Seems to me like the first email was a mistake - as if they thought you were a domestic customer. International delivery doesn't take 3-5 days. The second email is correct and says it can take 15 days and up.

DMPrince said:

Ha, why would they even say that? 3 weeks are definitely not enough to declare it as lost. It's always 4 weeks.

RPGCrazied said:
It was. It seemed automated. Wait I have it. All they changed was the date. Like it was not even from a person.

I'm pretty sure that message is valid for UK residents only.

Andrew.

Banned
Dascu said:
I hadn't even thought of the Skies of Arcadia comparison. It's rather spot-on. Both games capture that feel of exploration and discovery in a beautifully crafted open world.

The last RPG that i have put considerable time into was skies of arcadia. I agree there is something amazing about the openess of this game that is similar to Arcadia. Its got that virbrant organic feel. :)

RPGCrazied

ramyeon said:
Yeah but 4 weeks for international shipping is pretty standard. It's not a lot or unusual at all especially with free shipping. He went for the cheapest option so he's going to be waiting a bit.

Seems to me like the first email was a mistake - as if they thought you were a domestic customer. International delivery doesn't take 3-5 days. The second email is correct and says it can take 15 days and up.

Their fault not mine. In all my emails I clearly state I'm from the USA. How they thought I was from somewhere else doesn't make sense. Like they didn't read my message. It's clear now they aren't, specially when they spew out same emails with just a date change.

ramyeon

RPGCrazied said:
Their fault not mine. In all my emails I clearly state I'm from the USA. How they thought I was from somewhere else doesn't make sense. Like they didn't read my message. It's clear now they aren't, specially when they spew out same emails with just a date change.
I'm not even gonna try. You're so worked up about this as of you're the only person who's waiting. Me and dozens of others have told you this is normal shipping time but you can't wait a few days let alone a few weeks. Learn some patience man, you sound more and more desperate with every day.

When it comes down to it - there's nothing you can do now until the 15th so you can whinge and whine and make it worse or just relax and occupy your time with something else while you wait - time will go quicker and you may be surprised by it sooner rather than later.

And yeah most companies have email templates man. They're not going to write out individual emails for every single enquiry they get.

I fear this game is going to spoil me.

I'm only maybe 3 hrs in (less actually now that I think about it), and some of the design choices are just blowing me away.

I'll be so disappointed when the next large scale RPG I play doesn't incorporate any of them.

Kinan

God, this game is amazing. I doubt even U3 or Skyrim will be able to get my GOTY vote after this.

It has everything I've wanted from this gen final fantasy (well, except 1080p CG cutscenes:p).

JRPG masterpiece, a pinnacle, if you want. Immensly enjoyable and addictive.

bubnbob

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
I fear this game is going to spoil me.

I'm only maybe 3 hrs in (less actually now that I think about it), and some of the design choices are just blowing me away.

I'll be so disappointed when the next large scale RPG I play doesn't incorporate any of them.

Eh, I wouldnt let it get to you. After beating the game, I went straight to Magna Carta 2, and haven't been disgusted enough to turn it off. It's (Xenoblade) a super duper good game, but do not let it muddle your views on other games. There are tons of good JRPGs out there. Will you put Chrono Trigger, FF6, et. al. on a lower pedestal now?

edit: On clarification you specify Large Scale RPG, but I stand by what I said anyway

Hazanko

Banned
Quest help, area spoiler:

I'm at 4 stars for upper bionis but I don't know how to get the last star, I've talked to nearly everyone. There might be something with Dakuku in Valek Mountain, cause she says something about a lost researcher but I can't find any. The only other person is that old guy with the two rich daughters, he says he wants to move (colony 6?) but I don't get the option to invite him.

Also my colony 6 is on 3 stars. Do I need to complete building it to get 5 stars?

mclem

Dascu said:

It's something I thought of early on - I think it was the camera angle (of all things!) that triggered the memories for me. The player's view being *with* the characters, rather than being a distant overseer.

dwix

For those waiting on copies from GAME, I received mine today and I live in Texas. Time to get this thing going! Any quick tips for someone just now booting it up?

Christ on a bike I really hate Shulk now, he could be a FFXIII character the way he goes on. And I swear if he shouts
Fiora one more time, he's got to be hitting at least 11 Fioras per minute in cutscenes
. Every other character in this game destroys him in terms of awesomeness.

cloudyy

dwix said:
For those waiting on copies from GAME, I received mine today and I live in Texas. Time to get this thing going! Any quick tips for someone just now booting it up?
Snacks & drinks and enjoy.

bubnbob

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Does the Monado get updated somehow? When it comes to damage? Also I find it hard to equip my guys as most of the things give either better defense at the expense of attack or other way around :)

Yes. That's all I say :)

LiToKi

Neo Member
Die Squirrel Die said:
Christ on a bike I really hate Shulk now, he could be a FFXIII character the way he goes on. And I swear if he shouts
Fiora one more time, he's got to be hitting at least 11 Fioras per minute in cutscenes
. Every other character in this game destroys him in terms of awesomeness.
Not sure if I could put it any less spoiler-ish, but;
don't worry, that'll change.

CSSer

Hazanko said:
Quest help, area spoiler:

I'm at 4 stars for upper bionis but I don't know how to get the last star, I've talked to nearly everyone. There might be something with Dakuku in Valek Mountain, cause she says something about a lost researcher but I can't find any. The only other person is that old guy with the two rich daughters, he says he wants to move (colony 6?) but I don't get the option to invite him.

Also my colony 6 is on 3 stars. Do I need to complete building it to get 5 stars?

I think the lost researcher is around the top left of this map (where there's a light blue 10, coordinates around x=-3250, y=-750)
http://xenobladedata.web.fc2.com/data/ma_1301_snowmt.gif
You need to copy and paste that link explicitly in your browser for the link to work.

You have to use the heat stone thing to melt away some ice to get into the cave or so. Once you rescue him, some monsters will attack you in the cave.

To get D'argentis to migrate to colony 6, I think you need housing to be level 4. To get one of his daughters to migrate, housing needs to be level 5. I don't know what the difference is between his two daughters.

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&u=http://www35.atwiki.jp/xenoblade/&act=url
Click 'colony 6 reconstruction' on left side menu, click migrant to see who you can migrate and what the requirements are

Dragon

Banned
dwix said:

Okay well Texas is 10 hours west of Charlotte so wtf postal service. I'M GOING TO BOYCOTT YOU IF I DON'T GET THIS GAME BEFORE THE LONG WEEKEND.

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Lord Ghirahim said:
I spent several hours pointlessly hacking at the Lv75 boss, any tips?

I beat her using Melia (player), Sharla and Dunban, all at level 72. AGI/Aggro up gems for Dunban, HP Up gems and high def/ether def armor for Sharla and Ether/HP up gems for Melia.

Kill the elementals first and then concentrate on Lorithia. Make sure Dunban takes all the aggro, try to stay behind the boss and have Melia spam her earth/fire/lightning/wind skills. Most party gauge charges will be needed to keep Dunban alive (Sharla's Heals, Shield or Dunban's 九死一殺 skill).

PetrCobra

mclem said:
It's something I thought of early on - I think it was the camera angle (of all things!) that triggered the memories for me. The player's view being *with* the characters, rather than being a distant overseer.
To be honest, I also thought about this, right after I saw first trailers, but in another way - to me, the characters look kind of like from the Dreamcast era to me. Sure, maybe they have more details and so on, but still. The environments are something that couldn't be done back then, though. Even if sometimes I still smile a bit when I see a small lake bordered by several straight lines or stairs made of a flat surface with a texture that looks like stairs - when you go up :). Oh well, looking forward to whatever this team is preparing for Wii U.

Since I'm broke I've been watching some videos. Xenogears pissed me off back in the day, and Xenosaga was too ridiculous for me to even get into, but this looks exactly like my cup of tea, sort of where JRPGs should have gone after FFXII. The constantly repeating battle voices are annoying as shit though.

Looks so much better on Dolphin at 1080p. Music is freaking awesome also.

Jerk

Banned
bubnbob said:
Eh, I wouldnt let it get to you. After beating the game, I went straight to Magna Carta 2, and haven't been disgusted enough to turn it off. It's (Xenoblade) a super duper good game, but do not let it muddle your views on other games. There are tons of good JRPGs out there. Will you put Chrono Trigger, FF6, et. al. on a lower pedestal now?

edit: On clarification you specify Large Scale RPG, but I stand by what I said anyway

You really should have been. Xenoblade or no.

MicH

Fuck, the Ether mine boss is kicking my ass. God damn. I know to break duing chain, but I never even managed to make a chain before all party members are dead. Any tips?

Zafir

Jerk said:
You really should have been. Xenoblade or no.
It isn't THAT bad. Admittedly the story isn't great, but the gameplay was quite amusing.
finalozzo said:
do you guys know where i can find aqua nebula in bionis leg?
It needs to be raining. You'll then spot them around the area. I've always noticed one on that island in the middle of the lake.

Finalow

Zafir said:
It needs to be raining. You'll then spot them around the area. I've always noticed one on that island in the middle of the lake.
mh do you remember the name of the landmark near the lake?
btw i don't know what to do for the rain, have i to wait or to change the time?

Top Bottom