• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

syoaran said:
Who do you pair with him later down the line? Currently I'm switching between
Reyn & Riki depending on the encounters. I'm just about to get to Prison Island, level 40

Also,
Any guide on where to get the materials for Colony 6. The hints are of no help at all...
I'm exactly where you are, but level 56. Overleveled for a while, methinks.

My current go-to team is Dunban, Shulk, and Melia, with Melia as my main. Now that Dunban has his leftmost skill tree all filled out he's impossible to hit.

Thanks guys for the responses. Wiimote+Nunchuk has camera control? Well that's made my decision a lot easier.

Another question - what's the general opinion on the english voice acting?

mugwhump

About 8 hours in, game is damn amazing, don't know what I can say that hasn't been said.

Oh yeah, if you want to avoid huge spoilers, don't read that gamefaqs guide on gem-crafting :(

Gambit

SecretMoblin said:
Trust me (and I think most everyone else):
Ditch Reyn for Dunban. Go to the leftmost skill tree, unequip everything but the weapon, load it up with agility gems and watch him slay everything with nary a scratch to show for it.

Thank you. I shall do that. I don't think I would have thought of it myself, actually. But I will try it straight away. [or is it better to wait for a higher level? I am only lvl 27]

_Alkaline_ said:

Although the lip movement does not match the dialogue, I think the voice acting is fantastic. It's very charming, unique and distinctive. Like basically everything in the game. To have it sound so British definitely adds to the experience for me. (and it fits Reyn to a tee)

Gambit said:
Thank you. I shall do that. I don't think I would have thought of it myself, actually. But I will try it straight away. [or is it better to wait for a higher level? I am only lvl 27]
Don't worry about a higher level.
As long as he's learning those skills in the lefthand skill tree (about his naked agility powers), you'll be fine. You should notice a massively improved damage output right away, and if you put some good agility gems on his weapon he should be able to avoid 19 out of 20 hits from most everything. Make sure you equip all his aggro-soaking arts (there should be one or two) and watch him decimate everything.

This game is amazing. I've played about 8 hours or so today alone and I am just awe struck that we didn't get this game earlier.

I totally did not expect what happened after Shulk
obtained the Monado from Dunban. The fight with Metal Face and the tragic events that followed afterwards.

So tense and emotional. This game is already on my list for GOTY.

Also, I was skeptical about the European voices as I'm used to hearing NA accents in games. But I've found that it works really well, it lends a certain sense of "down to earthness" I guess. I can't really explain it well but I like the European voices a lot.

Especially Shulk and Reyn. I think they have good synergy together.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Around 30 hours in... just defeated
the Telethia boss
with
Melia and Riki
tagging along.

What's the deal with the retard
Melia
's AI anyway? Oftentimes she just stand there and do nothing like an idiot where she should do stuff like Auto-attacks or something... Geezzz. She must be player-controlled in order to function properly? But then again I am already way too used in controlling Shulk............ and here I am hoping the first offensive magic caster will be useful :((((

And
Frontier Village
is a bit pain in the ass to navigate :\ And moooorrreeeeeee random drops sidequests!.... urgh.

Is there any Colony 6's
recolonization
sidequest guide available somewhere out there in English...? I'll be damned if I have to search all the materials by myself >_<

Got to the
Eryth Sea
last night at around level 40. I'm hilariously overpowered aside from the random super monsters roaming about, but I can't stop questing man. Love this game! And yes,
Melia
is fucking boss.

And man, the locales look so much better during night-time.

Wichu

I'm on the Ether Mines boss. Got completely destroyed the first time, so I've gone back to do some more quests.
He kept killing my party members while I was trying to charge up for a chain attack, so I didn't even manage to dent him :(

Gambit

Wichu said:
I'm on the Ether Mines boss. Got completely destroyed the first time, so I've gone back to do some more quests.
He kept killing my party members while I was trying to charge up for a chain attack, so I didn't even manage to dent him :(

had a similar problem. He was difficult for me, so I went back in the dungeon, filled my blue gauge with random battles and then warped to his lair, so it was still almost full when I approached him. Then I filled it quickly and only did one combo on him and voila!

PetrCobra

_Alkaline_ said:
I was ecstatic when they announce that there will be japanese VA track. Now using the english one. It's okay, sometimes excellent.

The best thing that could happen to this game are the british accents.
Sound much better (and fits much better to a jap game) than NA english IMO

some questions (spoiler alert...duh)
on bionis' leg i have to find 2 items for Batubatu. one is a vodra egg which I already found and one is a Pandora mushroom in the "wind-cave"(sp?). where the hell is that cave/mushroom located??

where can i find the gun/rifle of Cheryl's son? I already found the armour and the knife.

those Nebula monsters are magic creatures AFAIK. I've currently Ryen, Shulk and Dunban in my party and it takes around 5min and tons of Monado-slashes to kill a Nebula monster right now. Is their a technique to kill them faster without switching to a "magic skilled"-member?

Ledsen

Laughing Banana said:
Around 30 hours in... just defeated
the Telethia boss
with
Melia and Riki
tagging along.

What's the deal with the retard
Melia
's AI anyway? Oftentimes she just stand there and do nothing like an idiot where she should do stuff like Auto-attacks or something... Geezzz. She must be player-controlled in order to function properly? But then again I am already way too used in controlling Shulk............ and here I am hoping the first offensive magic caster will be useful :((((

And
Frontier Village
is a bit pain in the ass to navigate :\ And moooorrreeeeeee random drops sidequests!.... urgh.

Is there any Colony 6's
recolonization
sidequest guide available somewhere out there in English...? I'll be damned if I have to search all the materials by myself >_<

For the random drop sidequests in that village I just traded for most of them with the villagers. For example the annoying something Lizard, I found one in the wild in multiple hours but then traded for all of them in a matter of seconds.

Ledsen said:
For the random drop sidequests in that village I just traded for most of them with the villagers. For example the annoying something Lizard, I found one in the wild in multiple hours but then traded for all of them in a matter of seconds.
Venomous Lizards? (Which is annoyingly spelled in-game as "Venemous Lizards", making Google searching difficult)

Who can you trade with for them? I don't have a single one and I wandered around
Makna Forest
for hours.

I already have a feeling I may get caught up in accidentally overpowering myself. I havent even triggered the first main story mission yet because Ive been running around killing baddies and gaining XP. Right now just as Shulk, Im close to level 6. Should I stop and focus on sidequests or what? Also, the five or so sidequests Ive gotten: do they leave any sort of markers on the map in terms of where to go to fulfill the assignment, or are you on your own?

mclem

iamaustrian said:
on bionis' leg i have to find 2 items for Batubatu. one is a vodra egg which I already found and one is a Pandora mushroom in the "wind-cave"(sp?). where the hell is that cave/mushroom located??

The cave is directly beneath the second level of Bionis's leg. There's a few ways into it, easiest is probably just to drop straight down around spiral valley. Be careful; it's got a lot of high-level enemies in there, you'll need to be very good at avoiding them.

Oh, yeah. And have fun in the mushroom's chamber!

PetrCobra

SecretMoblin said:
Venomous Lizards? (Which is annoyingly spelled in-game as "Venemous Lizards", making Google searching difficult)

Who can you trade with for them? I don't have a single one and I wandered around
Makna Forest
for hours.
I was patient, the quest is not timed and I don't know what else it opens, so I only grabbed the last one yesterday in the area. However, for one of the
Colony 6 reconstructions
, you need another item (1 piece), don't remember the name right now, which I found earlier in the game, put into collectopedia and never found again. Luckily, I found a guy who trades them. Running around the
jungle
was starting to be repetitive.

BluWacky

SecretMoblin said:

Makna Forest
for hours.

I don't think there's a trade partner for them having checked the JWiki. Unfortunately there's no guarantee that every item has someone to trade for it :(

JumpingTheGun said:
I already have a feeling I may get caught up in accidentally overpowering myself. I havent even triggered the first main story mission yet because Ive been running around killing baddies and gaining XP. Right now just as Shulk, Im close to level 6. Should I stop and focus on sidequests or what? Also, the five or so sidequests Ive gotten: do they leave any sort of markers on the map in terms of where to go to fulfill the assignment, or are you on your own?
The beauty of the game is that you can choose how to play; if you want to grind, then go ahead. If you want to focus on sidequests, go ahead. But if you don't like being more powerful than the bosses, then you shouldn't be level grinding at all and keep the sidequests to what you find interesting rather than trying to do every last one.

As for the markers, there is a marker in the form of a red exclamation point if the quest has you talking to a person or collecting a special (red) item. The marker only appears on the mini map when you're in range, though. Other than that, you're on your own.

And thanks for the update, BluWacky. :-(

KarmaCow

finalozzo said:
* anyone?

You need 4.5ish stars with the area and I think a few prerequisite quests.

Laughing Banana said:
Is there any Colony 6's
recolonization

Gamefaqs has one up for recruiting new people.

As for the materials, if you select the hint option when talking to Juju, he gives you a pretty good idea where to find it the monster that has the item. Usually the last item is one that you can get from the blue orbs, so check the collectopedia or ask villagers.

KarmaCow said:
I forgot who originally posted this but it has really help with the quest bullshit.
To use an in-game quote (said by a character on ending a chain attack)(character name followed by quote)
Melia........"Bravo, oh bravo"

finalozzo said:
* anyone?
I think a few quests related to Jackson are pre-requirement. Use the table in the quote to find that NPC.

mclem

SecretMoblin said:
The beauty of the game is that you can choose how to play; if you want to grind, then go ahead. If you want to focus on sidequests, go ahead. But if you don't like being more powerful than the bosses, then you shouldn't be level grinding at all and keep the sidequests to what you find interesting rather than trying to do every last one.

Thinking about that: There's a lot of abilities and gems that apply modifiers to your experience gain. Given that those exist, in *theory* it ought to be possible to apply an Ocarina (or similar) code to tap into and modify those modifiers into a -x% one. I'd like to do some research into that, because I do think the rate of experience gain is a little too generous for my playstyle.

mclem said:
Thinking about that: There's a lot of abilities and gems that apply modifiers to your experience gain. Given that those exist, in *theory* it ought to be possible to apply an Ocarina (or similar) code to tap into and modify those modifiers into a -x% one. I'd like to do some research into that, because I do think the rate of experience gain is a little too generous for my playstyle.
That'd certainly be interesting.

I'm also kind of shocked about the algorithm for calculating EXP after trying out the powerleveling trick using
Melia
. It's just kind of remarkable to me that the EXP you get gradually increases as you approach the monster's level, lessens considerably as the status of the monster goes from "red" to "yellow" to "gray" to "blue", and then bottoms out to a sort of fixed amount later on. It's just surprising that the system seemingly doesn't take into account the EXP possibility of killing a monster that is at a much higher level. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised, given that the accuracy stat is there to ensure that you're fighting monsters around your level anyway.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So...... is
Melia
supposed to just stand there like an idiot while the other two jumping flipping and attacking monsters or whatever? Sometimes she cast Ether arts, sure, but often times she just stand there and do.... nothing.

I should control her, shouldn't I? :( Why would they put her auto-attack in melee range when she is a magic type? Hmmmmmh.

Speaking of which, what do get carried on to the next playthrough on new game+? I REALLY hope the party's affinities between each other (not towards NPC) are carried through, because it's going to be cumbersome building them up again :(

Laughing Banana said:
So...... is
Melia
supposed to just stand there like an idiot while the other two jumping flipping and attacking monsters or whatever? Sometimes she cast Ether arts, sure, but often times she just stand there and do.... nothing.

I should control her, shouldn't I? :( Why would they put her auto-attack in melee range when she is a magic type? Hmmmmmh.

Speaking of which, what do get carried on to the next playthrough on new game+? I REALLY hope the party's affinities between each other (not towards NPC) are carried through, because it's going to be cumbersome building them up again :(

Melia is terrible with AI controls. She's my main and I slay everything around me -- though part of that is probably the fact that I'm about 15 levels higher than everything around me.

There was a post several pages back (from bubnbob, I think) that listed everything. I'll try and find it...

Edit: Found it:
bubnbob said:
Levels
Learned Arts
Affinities with Characters (NOT NPCs)
Skills
Affinity Coins
Money
Equipped Weapons and Armor
30 Weapons of your own choice (that aren't equipped - why? no idea.)
Equipped Armors
30 Armors of your choice per category
60 Collectable Items of your choice (blue orbs)
All Items (Art Books, Gems, Ether Crystals, Collection Items - NOT Key Items for obvious reasons)
Some achievements, not the Trials I think
And a special weapon that I won't mention

Finalow

Starwolf_UK said:
I think a few quests related to Jackson are pre-requirement. Use the table in the quote to find that NPC.
ok thanks. And what about Lupa in frontier village? I can't find her at the night, what should i do for the
monado eater?
oh, that scarlet ladybird is a quest to do in order to see Lupa?
edit: i found her but she doesn't give me any sidequest. >_>

Laughing Banana said:
So...... is
Melia

Melia is just fine. When she's got one of her elementals up she's providing a buff for the other characters. I don't think the AI runs her into the fray automatically because she'd probably gain a load of aggro with her attacks. The AI also tends to make her sit there with regen elemental on - so the others are gaining HP from her. You could turn off the Aqua regen elemental in the Arts menu, if this annoys you. You can make her get involved in the battles by - on the CCPRO anyway - holding ZR button (Right trigger) and pressing up on the d-pad and she'd always start nuking whatever target I had selected.

Party affinities do carry over apparently.

finalozzo said:
edit: i found her but she doesn't give me any sidequest. >_>
Using the google docs spreadsheet (which ironically for Google I can't search) you have to beat the quest
Bridge repair
first found near the
Pod Landing site
and register affinity with her
grandfather? spreadsheet neglects to mention who that is.

Nocturnowl said:
So i'm just wondering how close I am to the end of the main game...
*obviously there be big spoilers ahead*
I've just reached the Mechonis Capital after suffering those bland factory areas, I'm at the point where i've got to go up 4 towers in the capital or something to open the way to Egil, is the finale close? or is there going to be a surprise super dungeon of lengthy proportions awaiting me?
Already answered I know, but to use the Chapter numbers the game does not tell you/might not internally exist (a system save indicates you've just finished one). My understanding is you are on
Chapter 14
. The game in total has
17 Chapers
. My numbers might be off by 1 though and the reality might be 1 higher (depends on if the quest prereqs are starts ofs or ends of).

So my progress (spoiler alterto). Chapters completed
15 and 16
(see before). Locations: (name)H
idden Village
and (detail)
the return/2nd visit to
(name)C
entral Factory
. Comments: There is one missable sidequest (details)
in Chapter 15 after you're back in the Central facility return to the bridge of the ship, one of the staff members gives you a quest ("A new weapon for..."), btw, the console you need to beat it is all the way back in the maintenance bay, and quick travel is disabled, have fun
(its only very sligtly out the way but incredibly random all the same). The quest reward is
War Blades, their mix/max attack are about 50 better than what I had before on that character

Ledsen

SecretMoblin said:

Makna Forest
for hours.
Bluwacky is wrong, yes one of the villagers does trade them. I don't remember her name but just keep climbing upwards and she's on one of the platforms you'll pass, not that high up.

There is another sidequest there that requires 3 items, one of them in the next area. One of those items is also super rare and can be traded with a villager.

Affinity coins are level+uniques slayed (a unique will only give the point the first time you kill it)) and each character has thier own pool of those coins to spend.

The shapes limit the skill type you can stick onto that slot (e.g. shulks equipment weight-5 will only go into a circle slot). To open up higher slots, get a higher affinity with the characters in question. Obviously, to link a skill that character needs to have unlocked it.

If you feel you made a mistake or can use your coins better later in the game you can remove the skill and get the coins back.

neoemonk

My god this game is hell on completionists. I've only made it to the first town and I already have an abundance of side quests.

BluWacky

Ledsen said:
Bluwacky is wrong, yes one of the villagers does trade them. I don't remember her name but just keep climbing upwards and she's on one of the platforms you'll pass, not that high up.

You're absolutely right, my apologies. It's
Minka, at Kyn Shopping Street

TheExplodingHead said:
Yeah it's OCed, @3.6GHz I believe, been a while since we did that so it could be 3.8 I'm not sure. Mainly I was just using it as a reference to his i5 2500k, which handily outperforms a OCed Q6600 at stock.

But anyway, I'll try and get him to give me his settings when he wakes up...but their probably the same settings from the Dolphin forums. As for me I'm old school, completed the whole game on the Wii. :p

cool, thanks for responding. I'm on a stock Q6600 so we'll see if I can get any decent performance out of it

mentok15

I got my copy from EB today, apparently they only got three copies in and all were preorderd.

When I first put it in my Wii the Wii didn't read it so I ejected the disk and it had dirt on it and the disk drive stopped working.
As you can expect this freaked me out but it appears to be working now.

Well anyway I have played the game for a few hours so far and I'm enjoying it.

Does the Monado get updated somehow? When it comes to damage? Also I find it hard to equip my guys as most of the things give either better defense at the expense of attack or other way around :)

I hope to god that RPGCrazied gets his copy today...

Also, this game is immensley overwhelming. Im just sitting here at work thinking about t. Granted, Ive barely hit a sort of surface to scratch but still, I havent played a JRPG like this in years so Im hoping the feeling will go away once Im more adjusted to how everything works.

finalozzo said:
geez, i can't find any hodes in makna forest, need five drops of them for the bridge.
Of all the item drops in the game so far, these were by far the worst to obtain, screw those jawa lookalikes and their stubborn refusal to give me planks!
By the way they are right at the back area of the jungle, they like to be chummy with those Orluga troll things.

mclem

finalozzo said:
geez, i can't find any hodes in makna forest, need five drops of them for the bridge.

Go to the windmill from Frontier Village, then head east to the river and follow it to the south. When the river cascades into a big hole, there should be a bunch of hodes around that hole

Top Bottom