• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Amala said:
For people waiting for their GAME copies: got mine today! Shipped on 16th and finally arrived. Hopefully everyone should get their soon.

Ugh, so slow. Mine just shipped yesterday :(

ramyeon

Mistle said:
A lot of console games even go up to $120. And 3DS games are $60-$70! It's ridiculous.

I can get almost half price by importing.
I've never seen a console game for over $100.

Mind you I haven't got any of this generation's consoles bar the Wii.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
JumpingTheGun said:
I remember when Phantasy Star IV cost 100 bucks. Man Im old.

Yup, came here to post this. Only game I remember that cost over $100. That's probably, what, $150 in today's money? And yes, well worth it!

hi everyone

i'm confused ..

i'm trying to do an early quest . it's Challenge 1 ..where i have to kill some monster near outland park ( writting the name from memory ) From what is written on the quest log .. it's the place very High near colony 9. VERY EARLY SPOILERS
The park where the first Story quest Ends

My problem is that i don't see this monster at all . i've come at various hours , looked in the cave behind the park i just don't see where this monster is .. Any help ?

is there a quest wiki or faq

Game is impressive by the way .. i'm still pretty early in the game seeing as i ve still 2 characters in my party and i'm loving it .

mjc

So many things to absorb when you first start this up. I've only been able to put two hours in so far but it's kinda overwhelming. Any beginner tips? Can I set waypoints for side quests?

mjc said:
So many things to absorb when you first start this up. I've only been able to put two hours in so far but it's kinda overwhelming. Any beginner tips? Can I set waypoints for side quests?
It's overwhelming at first, but you'll get the hang of it eventually. Honestly, the best tip is and will always be to read the manual and read the in-game tutorials. They're really quite helpful.

Also, play to have fun. Don't worry about being a completionist.

x3r0123 said:
have you tried star ocean 4? if not then give it a try :D

I agree, if you find the voices in this infuriating, you definitely need to step up your tolerance levels with some Star Ocean 4 : Lymle Edition. :)

I like the English voice acting a lot for this game. The VA's have European accents so it's understandable if you find it weird considering most RPG's don't have those kinds of accents in them.

The repetition in the battle lines can get a little annoying but the charm of your team communicating mid battle is well worth it imo.

Dmax3901

Ydahs said:
$90 is the cheapest I've seen, though you're going to wait a while for shipping so you might as well just import it for < $50 AUD.

And about Aussie game prices, normally you'll be able to find the big release titles for around $80 at launch. Bought a few Wii games for that price before they were marked up to the standard $90+ range.

Where would you recommend importing it from?

Toth

I have been playing about 13 hours now and am entering the mines below
Colony 6
. I pretty much agree with all the praise the game is getting. It has a very unique setting, excellent characters (I can't believe how well the British voices match up and sound), a unique battle system, and tons of content. I do like the concept of leveling up via questing as it minimizes tediousness while maximizing productivity during each game session.

Just to play the devil's advocate:

1. The battle system can be a tad excessive. So much is thrown at you that it gets too complicated, too fast. It's not hard to get the rhythm and then start to master it, but it creates a bit much micromanagement for a JRPG.

2. The Wii ; ; The graphics are very well detailed and colorful but it's just a shame Wii cannot do HD graphics. This game would look beyond incredible on the PS3.

3. Equipment and item UIs are clustered and can prolong simple gear changes. The overabundance of gear drops fill you up fast too.

4. No healing or revive items ; ; If you are in a pinch and your healing abilities are on cooldown or your party bar is empty, you can be royally screwed.

Again, all minor points. The game certainly justifies the long wait and for me being proud to own a Wii.

And it is so addicting!

Gambit

MYE said:
Turn off the Wii 24 connect or whatever its called.
That will lower the chances of overheating the system.

Thank you. I hope that will help.

I have to ask a question from last night again, as I am curious.

About party member number 4
I am now rocking a naked Dunban and it works, but I am curious why. What did taking off the clothes actually do? Does it still work, if I give him pants?

Also about skill trees. It makes sense to change the skill tree when it's full, right? I still keep those skills for my character, I hope.

Also, does it matter which skill tree you're in when you level up? Let's say I am in an agiliy skill tree, does my agility stat level up more? I imagine it's only to learn the skills to begin with and has no effect on leveling.

Hiltz

I'm currently 42 hours and got to level 39.

Any idea where
Spiral Valley area is on the Bionis Leg? I have to do a quest to find a divine rock in helping to restore Colony 6.
I found some new locations on this one.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding
a nopo (whatever the hell those small friendly npc creatures are called) said to be somewhere near the Raguel Lake on the Bionis Leg.
However, I have searched the area quite thoroughly and haven't spotted him or seen any icons on the map for guidance.

Gambit said:
Thank you. I hope that will help.

I have to ask a question from last night again, as I am curious.

About party member number 4
I am now rocking a naked Dunban and it works, but I am curious why. What did taking off the clothes actually do? Does it still work, if I give him pants?

Also about skill trees. It makes sense to change the skill tree when it's full, right? I still keep those skills for my character, I hope.

Also, does it matter which skill tree you're in when you level up? Let's say I am in an agiliy skill tree, does my agility stat level up more? I imagine it's only to learn the skills to begin with and has no effect on leveling.

Re: naked agility:
Dunban's leftmost skill tree has two skills - the first one and the last one - that increase his agility when he isn't wearing armor. Also, all armor has a weight to it, which decreases agility. So leaving him armorless + agility skills + agility gems = a fast, difficult-to-hit Dunban.

Re: skill trees: Yes, you should change the tree when it's full; in fact, you can change it at any time you wish, according to the skills you want. You'll keep the skills you've learned in other trees. I'm not sure about the leveling up question, but my guess would be no, the skill tree you're in does not give you a related stat boost when you level up.

Feep

Banned
Hiltz said:
I'm currently 42 hours and got to level 39.

Any idea where
Spiral Valley area is on the Bionis Leg? I have to do a quest to find a divine rock in helping to restore Colony 6.
I found some new locations on this one.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding
a nopo (whatever the hell those small friendly npc creatures are called) said to be somewhere near the Raguel Lake on the Bionis Leg.
However, I have searched the area quite thoroughly and haven't spotted him or seen any icons on the map for guidance.
1)
Spiral Valley is the spirally thing you fought the tentacle boss on, where a giant Level 81 dude currently resides. You'll actually need to collect some dynamite to open up an alternate path to the top, because that guy'll kill you if you get too close.
2)
He's on a high ledge on the northwest corner of the lake, above the giant ether deposit. I got lucky finding him.

Oxx

Weird. I just changed my wireless security to WEP and managed to download the Xenoblade soundtrack at the first attempt (after trying 100 times on my standard settings).

Or it might be that Nintendo fixed it since my last attempt. It says the zip is 117MB now and it used to be 118MB.

ramyeon

Friday night and no Xenoblade :eek: Looks like I'll be getting it some time next week. This week has a lot of assessment I need to get on to, so this could be a blessing in disguise lol.

Ydahs

Dmax3901 said:
Where would you recommend importing it from?
Well, I get all my imported games from thehut.co.uk so I'd recommend that. Great prices and decent delivery times.

Orders usually take around seven to ten days to arrive and only twice have they taken a lot longer (FFXIII in ~25 days and Xenoblade in 18 and counting).

Hiltz

Feep said:
1)
Spiral Valley is the spirally thing you fought the tentacle boss on, where a giant Level 81 dude currently resides. You'll actually need to collect some dynamite to open up an alternate path to the top, because that guy'll kill you if you get too close.
2)
He's on a high ledge on the northwest corner of the lake, above the giant ether deposit. I got lucky finding him.

Thanks for the help.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Love the young guys complaining about import prices.

I imported the original Super Famicom Street Fighter II to get the original blood, I think it cost me almost $150 back then. And I waited like 7 weeks (I'm on the east coast and it was coming from Japan.)

The fact that I can import this CE with a controller for under $100 is a pretty fair deal imo. Now I just gotta make sure my wii can play it (it has been softmodded for homebrew but I haven't tried any pal games yet.)

Toth said:
I have been playing about 13 hours now and am entering the mines below
Colony 6
. I pretty much agree with all the praise the game is getting. It has a very unique setting, excellent characters (I can't believe how well the British voices match up and sound), a unique battle system, and tons of content. I do like the concept of leveling up via questing as it minimizes tediousness while maximizing productivity during each game session.

Just to play the devil's advocate:

1. The battle system can be a tad excessive. So much is thrown at you that it gets too complicated, too fast. It's not hard to get the rhythm and then start to master it, but it creates a bit much micromanagement for a JRPG.

2. The Wii ; ; The graphics are very well detailed and colorful but it's just a shame Wii cannot do HD graphics. This game would look beyond incredible on the PS3.

3. Equipment and item UIs are clustered and can prolong simple gear changes. The overabundance of gear drops fill you up fast too.

4. No healing or revive items ; ; If you are in a pinch and your healing abilities are on cooldown or your party bar is empty, you can be royally screwed.

Again, all minor points. The game certainly justifies the long wait and for me being proud to own a Wii.

And it is so addicting!

it's developed by Monolith Soft. So it's basicly a Nintendo game as they own ~80% of Monolith now. You will never see it on a PS3

ramyeon

DJ_Tet said:
Love the young guys complaining about import prices.

I imported the original Super Famicom Street Fighter II to get the original blood, I think it cost me almost $150 back then. And I waited like 7 weeks (I'm on the east coast and it was coming from Japan.)

The fact that I can import this CE with a controller for under $100 is a pretty fair deal imo. Now I just gotta make sure my wii can play it (it has been softmodded for homebrew but I haven't tried any pal games yet.)
I don't think anyone is complaining about the import price... It's cheap to import from the UK. The complaints were about the domestic price in Australia which is actually more for the game by itself than it is to import the CE bundle from the UK to here.

CruxisMana said:
Was just browsing through the import OT and refound this awesome piece of concept art.

zunzu.jpg

No bigger, unfortunately.

they must be a bigger one somewhere

DJ_Tet

Banned
ramyeon said:
I don't think anyone is complaining about the import price... It's cheap to import from the UK. The complaints were about the domestic price in Australia which is actually more for the game by itself than it is to import the CE bundle from the UK to here.

My bad, that is messed up :(

edit: In that case I wouldn't hesitate to import when possible just to 'voice' frustration in some way. Of course then NinofAus would assume the game didn't do well and you might lose out in the future, that's a true lose/lose scenario :(

Gambit

SecretMoblin said:
Re: naked agility:
Dunban's leftmost skill tree has two skills - the first one and the last one - that increase his agility when he isn't wearing armor. Also, all armor has a weight to it, which decreases agility. So leaving him armorless + agility skills + agility gems = a fast, difficult-to-hit Dunban.

Re: skill trees: Yes, you should change the tree when it's full; in fact, you can change it at any time you wish, according to the skills you want. You'll keep the skills you've learned in other trees. I'm not sure about the leveling up question, but my guess would be no, the skill tree you're in does not give you a related stat boost when you level up.

Thank you very much. I like to understand the game mechanics, after all.

pgtl_10

I got the game a couple days ago.

Immediatly, I realize the game does a lot of good things. The world is what Zelda should become. It's big, diverse, and very explore worthy. JRPGs need to follow the same design.

The fighting system is great and easily blends in with the world.

Also the game eliminates tedious parts of the elder scrolls series. The characters are fast by default so you don't spend lots of time moving one place to another. Also completing quest without having to go back to the quest giver is impressive. The game eliminnate filler content and tedious parts of tasks.

Also the game looks to have a good story which is something WRPGs could learn from.

My only complaint is that you can't go inside buildings.

Monolith has succeeded in combining WRPGs open world with JRPGs battle system and story telling.

mugwhump

mclem said:
Thinking about that: There's a lot of abilities and gems that apply modifiers to your experience gain. Given that those exist, in *theory* it ought to be possible to apply an Ocarina (or similar) code to tap into and modify those modifiers into a -x% one. I'd like to do some research into that, because I do think the rate of experience gain is a little too generous for my playstyle.
I would be so totally into that.

I'd make one myself, but my USB Gecko broke. :(

polg said:
I did my part!
http://s1.proxy05.twitpic.com/photos/large/387574371.jpg

I only had a chance to play for an hour. How long before it opens up and can go a anywhere?
It depends on what you mean by "anywhere". Once you enter Colony 9 for the first time and see the accompanying cutscenes, you should be able to roam around the entire Colony 9 area for as long as you want. As you open other areas, you basically have a choice whether to push the storyline forward or explore at your leisure.

Ulthwe

I just got
Dunban
in my party, having finished
the mines section under Colony 6
. I've got some doubts:
  • When you get a
    fourth member in your party
    , does he level up as the others, even when not selected?
  • Do you ever use another character (other than Shulk) as your leader?

Ulthwe said:
I just got
Dunban
. I've got some doubts:
  • When you get a

1) yes
2) I always use Shulk as my main character. He has some awesome skills
especially later in the game

Salih

Ulthwe said:
  • When you get a

Yes.
Yes - and you should change your team once in a while to raise up the affinity between different party members. So they can learn different skills from the other party members.

Chanser

Ulthwe said:
I just got
Dunban
. I've got some doubts:
  • When you get a

Yes, I've used
Sharla
as main leader. All non-party members level up the same as the party members.

wsippel

Banned
Ulthwe said:
I just got
Dunban
. I've got some doubts:
  • When you get a
1. Yes.
2. It's your decision. Just be aware that you at least need to have him in your party at this point when you're facing Mechon, even if someone else is the party leader.

question:
The only way to get unhurt(=without jumping into one of the holes and losing a shitton of KP)to the Wind Cave on Bionis leg is fighting the Level 90 Gorilus(sp?) monster??? Are they insane?

Ulthwe

Salih said:
Yes - and you should change your team once in a while to raise up the affinity between different party members. So they can learn different skills from the other party members.
So levels go up but not affinity... I hadn't thought of that. Thanks everyone.

Antagon

iamaustrian said:
question:
The only way to get unhurt(=without jumping into one of the holes and losing a shitton of KP)to the Wind Cave on Bionis leg is fighting the Level 90 Gorilus(sp?) monster??? Are they insane?

No.
Check the ground level, there is an entrance there. There are some lvl 70-80 monsters there, but only some of them aggro and only by sound, so you can get past there without fighting quite easilly

Top Bottom