• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Marrshu said:
Noted, I'll order form Zavvi then.

Or not. Zavvi isn't working either. Trying to select Paypal doesn't even give me the option to login, and it won't authorize my card directly.

Considering how much people are bitching about Zavvi, I'd say you got lucky.

Game.co.uk still has the collector's edition. I ordered from them wednesday, got an email saying it was shipped yesterday, and now the game of wait begins...

Haunted

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Hit my first boss that is giving me trouble around 20 hours in. It's
the tomb boss, the one with the monster and human
. Everyone is around level 40, guess I should raise that a bit?
The colour system tells you all you need to know. If they're black/blue/white, you should roll them. If they're yellow, you need good strategies, clearly defined roles (aggro/heal/DPS) and you need to pull off some good chain links. If they're red, you need to level up.

Of course, if you level up you will be able to take them eventually.

Haunted

CoolS said:
Yes all characters get experience and talent points etc. even if they are not in the active party.
Non-active members get slightly less AP and exp. points if they don't have Riki's skill linked. But it's an almost negligible difference, so they never fall behind far enough to become useless or anything.

You're definitely not punished for experimenting with your lineup, nor with sticking to one in particular.

Shulk is the only character I always had in my party while freely exchanging the rest and the difference is like 1 level at lvl 66.

Sophia

DuendeSmoker said:
Considering how much people are bitching about Zavvi, I'd say you got lucky.

Game.co.uk still has the collector's edition. I ordered from them wednesday, got an email saying it was shipped yesterday, and now the game of wait begins...

Their website is saying the collector's edition is out of stock, otherwise I would have ordered it. :\

Finalow

i'm at
mechonis field
and i can see a shop and a sidequest on the exterior part, but i don't know how to reach that place.
does someone know?

Haunted said:
The colour system tells you all you need to know. If they're black/blue/white, you should roll them. If they're yellow, you need good strategies, clearly defined roles (aggro/heal/DPS) and you need to pull off some good chain links. If they're red, you need to level up.

Of course, if you level up you will be able to take them eventually.
I think at that level that particular battle is black.

So, I didn't have trouble with the battle JustAnotherOtaku is stuck on* (its one many others have gotten stuck on) but the battles in the dungens itself felt like they dragged on forever making me think I was a similar level or below. I did find the secret area
Second Treasury its a secret passage one in the black alcoves the enemies loiter/emerge from one of the corridoors
and at least one of the pieces of gear there was very nice. But surley that can't have been enough. The only tactical thing I can think of is
focus on one target and order the AI to do the same. Monado seal if it does the "ho ho I'm going to dodge everything"

*-Now (shortly after)
the seal islands
those gave me lots of trouble and looking on Gamefaqs a few others find it to be a difficulty spike.

Marrshu said:
Their website is saying the collector's edition is out of stock, otherwise I would have ordered it. :\
Its a typical GAME website bug for an item to go out of stock then sometime later show as being back in stock for 5 minutes. It'll keep doing this for a week. If you manage to get an order in it'll get cancelled (at least I've never known anybody to have an order complete this way). Fun times.

Sophia

Starwolf_UK said:
Its a typical GAME website bug for an item to go out of stock then sometime later show as being back in stock for 5 minutes. It'll keep doing this for a week. If you manage to get an order in it'll get cancelled (at least I've never known anybody to have an order complete this way). Fun times.

Seems to be what I get for not having the money when this game was released. I'll check with my bank as to why my card was declined later. :\

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Marrshu said:

True, just saw it now. They still had it yesterday, I didn't think it would go out of stock one day later.

Varion

finalozzo said:
i'm at
mechonis field
and i can see a shop and a sidequest on the exterior part, but i don't know how to reach that place.
does someone know?
Get to the point where there's a large slope going downwards with a few platforms sticking out, then slide down the left side while keeping the analog stick held towards you (otherwise you'll just fly off the platform). You should be able to catch the platform, stop on it, and then go inside (if you overshoot then try removing movement speed up gems or whatever). Climb up and you'll be in a secret landmark where all that stuff is.

mclem said:
Very quick question, about a set of timed quests (I think the second batch in the game). I'm in
Eryth Sea
, and haven't yet gone to
Prison Island
... I suspect the timed quests may be expiring soon. Do I need to worry? I'd like to polish them off before they expire.
Nope, they're not expiring any time soon.

Sophia

slaughterking said:
Also, meganekko ftw. :3

Glasses really do make everything better, don't they? If that's not a gender exclusive item, then I'm putting it on Shulk when I get the game.

wsippel

Banned
Marrshu said:
Glasses really do make everything better, don't they? If that's not a gender exclusive item, then I'm putting it on Shulk when I get the game.
There are no gender exclusive items.

wsippel

Banned
slaughterking said:
Spoiler about the last party member:
It's good to know Fiora still has some flesh left under her Mechonis suit. http://666kb.com/i/bwluepxgg3hix1is7.jpg
Also, meganekko ftw. :3
I kinda expected a shot of her largely uncovered butt wearing the full Speed set.

KarmaCow said:
Pretty sure glasses are gender exclusive unless I'm missing something. Dyed Gear seems to the same.
You're right, brain fart. Still, there are some non gender exclusive glasses. One even seems to be part of a Shulk specific armor set (if there is a full Master set).

wsippel said:
I kinda expected a shot of her largely uncovered butt wearing the full Speed set.
I'm more of a tits man myself, but I'll make sure to look out for that one, too. :lol
Even though there already was a very 'skillful' camera angel during a cutscene where I noticed that Sharla is in fact already wearing very revealing pants.

MoogPaul

Is there a quick travel system between areas? I know of the one that lets you quick travel within an area (colony 9 for example) but what about if I wanted to get from Knee to Colony 9? Do i have to trek through the cave again? If such a thing does exist, when does it open up?

Varion

MoogPaul said:
Is there a quick travel system between areas? I know of the one that lets you quick travel within an area (colony 9 for example) but what about if I wanted to get from Knee to Colony 9? Do i have to trek through the cave again? If such a thing does exist, when does it open up?
We really need that FAQ in the OP...

Access menu, go to area map on far left, choose area, choose landmark.

MoogPaul

Varion said:

Why don't we start a wiki? Everyone can contribute. Communist Xenoblade and the whatnot.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I hope I won't regret this.

I just ordered the game online because of all the hype. I hope you're proud of yourself, GAF. I've actually been really lucky, because I found the limited red CCPro edition for 57€. Considering the game is out of stock pretty much everywhere and sells for upwards of 80€ when it's in stock, I'm really happy.

I'm not that into RPGs (especially 3D console J-RPGs), but the temptation was too strong, and the red CCPro was a good incentive.

matmanx1

Just played my first couple of hours this morning and I came away very impressed. The graphics are about the only let down (and most of that is just limitations of the Wii ) and even then the art is still very good. The music is really nice and I think I am going to have to end up ordering the OST.

For whatever reason TinyLoader refused to work with Xenoblade so I had to download and install Gecko. Fortunately that worked well and went quickly.

TheExodu5

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
I love the fact that it's designed to shock you, and it ends up going wayyyy past what you initially think it will be. It just keeps going.

Seriously. I mean, I thought Risen was incredibly well crafted...but Xenoblade so far is one upping it by a pretty large margin. The Bionis Leg is just...wow...

TheExodu5

Banned
Honestly, this is the one JRPG I would have to recommend to ANYONE that is a fan of RPGs, either Japanese or Western. It takes the best of both worlds and mixes them into a cocktail that can only be described as one of the best, if not the best (time will tell) RPG I have played to date.

Varion said:

Most of this stuff is in the manual that you got with the game. You folks asking questions DID get a manual with your copy right? You could also read the comprehensive in game tutorials which people seem to be ignoring completely.

mclem

pancakesandsex said:
Most of this stuff is in the manual that you got with the game. You folks asking questions DID get a manual with your copy right? You could also read the comprehensive in game tutorials which people seem to be ignoring completely.

I know about it, but it's so easy to gravitate to regularly hitting + early on when it doesn't particularly matter. I still do that even now, and then have to correct myself and go through the menu itself.

It really ought to have a direct route from the map screen to the zone selection.

So for me, it's not a case of not knowing, so much as breaking a habit.

TheExodu5

Banned
pancakesandsex said:

I've grown accustomed to not reading manuals at all over the past 5 years, as they've nearly all become useless. I never even considered looking in the manual.

Ledsen

I'll post this little FAQ here again if anyone wants to add to it or link to it or whatever:

Less Obvious Things About Xenoblade aka The Stuff You May Have Missed FAQ

General

- You can fast travel to any landmark on any map (NOT just the map you're currently on) by going to the menu, then Area Maps.

- When monsters drop loot, you can tell by the chest they drop how much loot you got . Brown wooden chest = junk loot/normal loot. Blue/grey chest = rare loot. Gold chest = most loot.

- You can set the quest menu to only show incomplete quests by pressing Y (or C on the Wiimote) and choosing "current" (quests where you have finished at least one objective) or "new" (quests where you haven't finished any objectives).

- Quests with a clock in front of them will become unavailable after certain points in the story, but apparently this is nothing to worry about and happens far into the game.

- In the Affinity Chart menu, you can see which times certain NPCs will be out and about. It won't show you exactly where they are though, but it will show the closest landmark.

- There is a clock around the mini-map.

Items

- If you go into the Item screen, then to the "Collectables" tab, you can gift items to your party members to increase affinity. Just choose an item, press A, and then "present".

- In the Item screen, a blue "!" on top of an item means that item will be useful in a future sidequest. A red "!" means it is usable in a current quest. Save it!

- In the menu, under "Items", "Collectopedia", you have a sort of scrap book where you can put one of each item you've found. As you find more items, you get rewards in the form of equipment or gems.

Skills

- In the skill menu, you can choose one of three skill trees for a character to follow. You learn skills from top to bottom.

- If you press the "-" button on this screen, you will reach the Skill Links screen. Here, the character can "borrow" skills from other characters, to equip on him/herself. The number of skills you can borrow depend on the affinity level between the characters. Each skill you borrow costs a number of "affinity coins" which you get for, amongst other things, defeating Unique Monsters.

- The thin yellow bar under your characters HP shows how close you are to learning a new skill. The thick bar is (quite obviously) the XP bar.

Battle

- There is something called "tension" in battle. You can see how high a characters tension is by looking at their portrait. If they look sad, they're low on tension. If they're angry, they're high. If they're burning, goddamn!

- Tension makes you more likely to score crits and less likely to miss.

- You increase tension by pressing the B button correctly at the beginning of and during battles.

bodine1231

I love this game bud dammit I wish they'd have put some sort of quest tracking system ala WoW or at lest released a guide in english. I spent 2hrs last night doing a handful of quest with very little to show for it when I was done. Wandering around whole zones is not fun.

TheExodu5

Banned
bodine1231 said:
I love this game bud dammit I wish they'd have put some sort of quest tracking system ala WoW or at lest released a guide in english. I spent 2hrs last night doing a handful of quest with very little to show for it when I was done. Wandering around whole zones is not fun.

This is one area where I would disagree. A quest tracker would turn the game too much into auto-pilot. Much of the fun is exploring the zones. You usually know where you have to go from the quest descriptions, but otherwise, it's good to make a mental note of where different groups of mobs hang out.

Nekobo

Ledsen said:
Useful FAQ

Thanks!

I bought a black Classic Controller Pro just for this game. Do you guys know if The Last Story and Pandora's Tower support the CC, too?

So far I'm digging it. My only complaints are the the blurry character textures (especially Shulk) and the robotic animation. It's been a while since i played a last gen RPG, so seeing those things in cutscenes was a bit distracting.

Aside from that, the game does pretty much everything else right.

There is a secret area in M
akna Forest
which I assume you can only reach through a nearby closed door. You can see this secret area when you're in the southeast part of the map and look down a certain abyss. It looks like a
Hode
camp or something.
Aaanyway, I'm not even that interested in what can actually be found in that area, but I still dared to jump down there and with the generous air control I actually somehow managed to land on the far edge of the platform and then...I died. The fall didn't seem that big, but I thought "FINE, I'll just craft a few gems that lower falling damage and I'll definitely survive this puddle jump." So I try to make that jump again. Falling damage is reduced by 75% and....I still die. >:I
That jump doesn't seem that ridiculous, so I'm a little bumped out that my experimentation is not rewarded. I want to sequence break you, you stupid game. :I

Still didn't get it...Oh well. Not like I have much time to play it.

Hopefully it's here when I get back from Vegas..otherwise I ..will...uh..send a very polite but upset letter to Zavvi.

Yeah that'll teach em'.

Lvl 76 now. I'll maybe try to get to lvl 80 and then head to the boss. Just tackling monsters that used to scare the living daylights outta me early on in the game. Now I'm bullying them :D

Finally got into
King Angi's Tomb
after spending forever getting a higher star rating for the Village. Some quests are cool but others are darn tedious, especially trawling round looking for folk backwards and forwards.

The game does an awful lot right, but there's still some desicions that I feel leave a lot to be desired.

Codeblue

Got mine today from ASDA in a small town in Oklahoma, but I'm going out of town for the long weekend. Can't wait to dive in on Tuesday.

creid said:
Is this B on the Wii Remote, CC, or both?

definitely B on the Wii Remote, can't say for CC.

Also, some minor things to add to the FAQ:

- In the menu, under "Items", "Collectopedia", you have a sort of scrap book where you can put one of each item you've found. As you find more items, you get rewards in the form of equipment.

You can also get gems from completing these.

- You can set the quest menu to only show incomplete quests by pressing Y and choosing "current" (quests where you have finished at least one objective) or "new" (quests where you haven't finished any objectives).

This is the c button the wii remote setup (but again, the menu tells you what button to press).

Zafir

Clever Pun said:
definitely B on the Wii Remote, can't say for CC.
It's B on the CC as well.

I think if both CC and Wii Mote has the button then they're interchangable. I know jump was still B in the Wii Mote, didn't really like it there though, since it's kinda weird jump being assigned to a trigger.

For all the streamlining done does anyone else find it weird that for artes manual you have to open the menu, scroll to items they use them? Then again the shop side of things is the games weakness if you ask me (its a good thing shops are largely useless...except the manuals and that one armour with built-in
Haste V!
you can buy fairly late game).

TheExodu5 said:
This is one area where I would disagree. A quest tracker would turn the game too much into auto-pilot. Much of the fun is exploring the zones. You usually know where you have to go from the quest descriptions, but otherwise, it's good to make a mental note of where different groups of mobs hang out.
What I don't like is when you get quests where you have to return to the giver. Sometimes I do these 30 hours since I last saw them. Its fine if I could click the name then be taken to their tab in the affinity tree (which is what it allows you to do when you update the tree) but instead I have to go to quests, the quest in question, make a mental note of the NPCs gname then scroll over to it.

Plus misleading descriptions. Theres that one quest who tells you basically the wrong place for the unique you're meant to fight.

Top Bottom