• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Magnus

RurouniZel said:
I'm only 6 hours into Xenoblade (trying to slow down how quickly I beat my games), but I can already say this is the game I wish Final Fantasy XIII had been.
Right on, exactly. I can already tell it's going to be a bit tough to rock my fave (XII) after this -- positioning already matters, and the battle system already feels like an extension of XII's steps forward.

Tradeoff for huge vistas?

I suppose so. Didn't XII manage to do both five years ago though?

RPGCrazied said:
So what are the odds I get this before the Holiday weekend? Not looking good.
Well I'm from Chicago and I got my Zavi order today. I bet you will get it either Tomorrow or Saturday. That's my hunch.

epmode

Magnus said:
Final Fantasy 12's maps were broken into discrete sections with load times. This is mostly handled through streaming. Vary impressive!

x3r0123

JumpingTheGun said:
Quick question: Is there anything I shouldnt sell? Im getting an awful lot of random items.

do the side quests? They will request for certain items. Also, you cant sell some items (it will tell you if you try to sell it). Other than that, anything goes

Haunted

JumpingTheGun said:
Quick question: Is there anything I shouldnt sell? Im getting an awful lot of random items.
You should sell old equipment and low level gems, but try to avoid selling materials and collectibles if you plan on seriously doing sidequests.

There are lots of missions just demanding random materials you might've collected on the way. Feels good if you accept a quest and immediately clear it because the stuff is already in your inventory.

Haunted said:
You should sell old equipment and low level gems, but try to avoid selling materials and collectibles if you plan on seriously doing sidequests.

There are lots of missions just demanding random materials you might've collected on the way. Feels good if you accept a quest and immediately clear it because the stuff is already in your inventory.

awesome. exactly what i was thinking. thanks man

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Trojita said:
So did people that ordered through Zavvi get theirs yet?
I did. Today, shipped to Italy tho, posted on the 23rd.
Although I won't have time to fire it up till sunday night after Inter's match versus Palermo, not in a hurry anyway but yeah, it would've been nice being part of this thread's discussions.

Kaizer

Banned
X8ByK.jpg

Got the game today!!! I would've posted this earlier but I got sucked into the game so fast I dropped everything else I was doing. Very satisfied with 365games service, shipped out last Tuesday and arrived this Thursday, pretty good turnaround. I'll use them for The Last Story & Pandora's Tower in the future.

I've only played for about 3 hours, mostly exploring the first town, fighting baddies, etc. and gotta say, I'm amazed so far. I was a little nervous I wouldn't like the game b/c it had combat similar to FFXII and for some reason XII's combat never clicked with me, but I'm having a blast. I hope you get your copy soon RPGCrazied.

Zornica

Banned
Magnus said:

after ~70+ hours I am starting to think that it's more like a strange design choice than a trade off...
just look at the faces of some npcs 70 hours later in the game like
vanea
meyneth
or
egil
. even most enemies got better textures. i am not sure why the decided to make homs look so blurry.

Got my copy from theHut (same as Zavvi, so presumptively the same shipping methods if not the same exact warehouse) in Austin, Texas today. No date of shipment on the item, but shipped from Belgium, so the shipment from Uk to Belgium probably explains why it took a couple days longer than typical.

I like how you can trade with all the "named" NPCs. I'm at the start of the game but I already got a situation where one lady asked me for two of some item, then I talked to a guy like 20 feet away and traded some junk I had for the items I needed instead of going to kill whatever animal drops them.

Rahxephon91 said:
Yes. I think I'm aware of at least 3. Me, 1 other who escapes me, and a poster from New York.

I'm from Philly and I am still waiting.

It seems to just be pretty random. I'm going to Vegas for a week on Sunday, so it's not like I can actually put in that much time anyway so I'm not sweating it right now. Which is a good thing since I would probably be mad as fuck. So I understand RPGcrazed's pain.

Could a fast travel system get any better? I mean jesus, all you have to do is fucking blink and youre where you want to be.

this game is now the new JRPG gold standard. period.

duckroll

epmode said:
Final Fantasy 12's maps were broken into discrete sections with load times. This is mostly handled through streaming. Vary impressive!

Yeah but that has nothing to do with character animation and facial expressions. Monolithsoft just doesn't have the same caliber of animators that S-E has. Almost no developer in Japan does though. That's the high point of S-E.

x3r0123

Anabuhabkuss said:
Good Lord!

I have to ask, do the benefits of running this on Dolphin outweigh playing it on a 40 something inch Sony Bravia?

why not do dolphin + 40" tv and look at the glorious results?

JumpingTheGun said:
Could a fast travel system get any better? I mean jesus, all you have to do is fucking blink and youre where you want to be.

this game is now the new JRPG gold standard. period.

you cant do that in specific parts but that warping is very handy

duckroll said:
Yeah but that has nothing to do with character animation and facial expressions. Monolithsoft just doesn't have the same caliber of animators that S-E has. Almost no developer in Japan does though. That's the high point of S-E.

one thing that i would like them to do is hair physics and design (as in not flat-ish). Then again using the current designs saves some rendering time

duckroll

x3r0123 said:
one thing that i would like them to do is hair physics and design (as in not flat-ish). Then again using the current designs saves some rendering time

Why assume it is some amazing technical decision, when it is much more obvious that their character deisgn, modeling, and animation staff are just not that good? Just look at every single Monolithsoft game made. :p

They're pretty good at animating fight scenes and mechanical stuff. They have zero experience with good emotive character animation. They have never done good hair. Their internal character designs (XS Ep2, XS Ep3, Soma Bringer, Xenoblade) generally blow.

It's definitely a weakness that Monolithsoft has. I love their games, but it's very obvious to anyone following the studio since they were founded where their strengths and weaknesses are.

matmanx1

Well I'm about an hour north of Atlanta, GA and I got my copy from Zavvi today and it was also marked Belgium as the point of origin. For free shipping 2 weeks isn't bad for halfway around the world.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tell me RPGCrazied's copy has arrived by now. I'm pretty sure that a friend of mine ordered it from Zaavi SINCE he had been complaining about not getting it, and it arrived at her house on the west coast of Canada this morning! XD

Everywhere I look Xenoblade is out of stock. Where can I get this for the cheapest possible (and I'd prefer not to get the bundle, but will still get that if that's all there is.) Sorry to ask this.

Vamphuntr

Played a bit more and got a new party member and beat the second boss. I like the battle system a lot especially the
visions
. Exploration is very impressive in this game. For those that are comparing this to FF12, I don't think the comparison stands. I also thought this at first but both are way too much different. The exploration is much better in Xenoblade but the leveling up and ability system in XII is much more interesting to me. The loot system is even more annoying in Xenoblade since there are tons of sidequests everywhere requiring specific loots. No bestiary either so it's hard to remember where you saw X monster.

Zafir

IceDoesntHelp said:
Everywhere I look Xenoblade is out of stock. Where can I get this for the cheapest possible (and I'd prefer not to get the bundle, but will still get that if that's all there is.) Sorry to ask this.
I think you're looking at ebay prices, which is £45 for the normal edition. Seems even GAME sold out of the bundle edition.

Either that or waiting anyway.

BocoDragon said:
Just to confirm, you are using:

1. A component cable
2. a 480P capable TV such as any HDTV or a 2000s-era 32inch SDTV or greater

?

Right. It is 100% a component cable. 100% a component c able. Not only that, but it is certifiably displaying in 480p from the minute the Wii starts (the television displays the resolution anytime it changes it), it continues to do so until the game loads from Gecko. Once Gecko drops and Blade opens, you can visually see the tv flash and it notifies you that it's down to 480i. The television is about five years old or less and runs 1080p for my other systems. I've tried no changes to settings, I tried force NTSC, I tried force PAL60, just no change.

Despite what my title says I'm not a complete idiot all the time. And I'm definitely not falling for the same thing again, so yes, they are component cables and they are connected and, as I've said which answers this, it is displaying in 480p until Blade loads.

_Alkaline_ said:
The Australian version doesn't come with a CC Pro...is it recommended to use one?

I typically love a good old mote'n'chuk combo, but upon reading the manual it appeears this removes camera control?

I had an old CC sitting around, but picked up Golden Eye and the CC Pro for cheap specifically for this game, hoping it would be more comfortable. I find that it is surprisingly comfortable (the Pro).

BocoDragon said:
Tell me RPGCrazied's copy has arrived by now. I'm pretty sure that a friend of mine ordered it from Zaavi SINCE he had been complaining about not getting it, and it arrived at her house on the west coast of Canada this morning! XD
nope lol. he's still waiting.

Hiltz

Nocturnowl said:
Heading out the main entrance to colony 9, head right and follow the beach area round and you should find some low level ones that drop the correct milk type on the grass around the cliff.

Thanks for the help. I found some and got to level 38. It's pretty crazy how you can spend all day just doing side quests and leveling up without making any story progression.

ramyeon

Still waiting here too :lol Probably should've just waited till it came out here yesterday haha. Not that I'll have much time to sink my teeth into it anyway, with all the Uni assessment coming up.

duckroll said:
Why assume it is some amazing technical decision, when it is much more obvious that their character deisgn, modeling, and animation staff are just not that good? Just look at every single Monolithsoft game made. :p

They're pretty good at animating fight scenes and mechanical stuff. They have zero experience with good emotive character animation. They have never done good hair. Their internal character designs (XS Ep2, XS Ep3, Soma Bringer, Xenoblade) generally blow.

It's definitely a weakness that Monolithsoft has. I love their games, but it's very obvious to anyone following the studio since they were founded where their strengths and weaknesses are.
I kinda agree, but you should check some in-game cutscenes from Xenoblade, pretty impressive stuff so far.

Early Spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSO0Wlamk1U

x3r0123

duckroll said:

well i was talking about japanese developers in general about hair. It seems alot of them are cheap on hair animation.

Look at xenoblade's hair animation
now look at RoF's hair animation (around 30 sec in, better but notice the giant strands of hair glued together)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od1oRl4yqz4

what i'm hoping for is something like this in the future except better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECnvJeXXE8

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I got this game yesterday I have played it for five hours it is fun.

But good lord the voicework is the most revolting shit I have ever heard. Story stuff and cutscenes whatever, it is fine. But the FIELD VOICES HOLY CHRIST. They are dreadfully, comically terrible in either language. The TWO SOUNDS that they randomly choose between when you jump are just so bad they are like parody, it sounds like the girl is being forced to orgasm with a power drill with every tiny hop. I am not sure if there is an option to turn the voices off wholesale, if there is that will make this game better.

Fuck

BocoDragon

lobdale said:
I got this game yesterday I have played it for five hours it is fun.

But good lord the voicework is the most revolting shit I have ever heard. Story stuff and cutscenes whatever, it is fine. But the FIELD VOICES HOLY CHRIST. They are dreadfully, comically terrible in either language. The TWO SOUNDS that they randomly choose between when you jump are just so bad they are like parody, it sounds like the girl is being forced to orgasm with a power drill with every tiny hop. I am not sure if there is an option to turn the voices off wholesale, if there is that will make this game better.

Fuck
Is this the first Japanese game you have ever played? :p

Well I guess I'll finally need to look into Gem creation, as I need an awful lot of Agility and Attack VIs to be able to do something to the hardest bosses in the game (that means they are red even at max level).

Up until now I got by everything with almost no Gem consumption (only AP and EXP ones).

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
BocoDragon said:
Is this the first Japanese game you have ever played? :p

Quite the contrary I have played nearly every console RPG ever released and I am used to nay CONDITIONED TO EXPECT terrible voice acting. It is just man what a disparity in quality between cutscene and field. The Japanese is intolerably grating, the English is just humorously bad. There is no win. I can't even switch it onto the "don't understand any of it don't care" Japanese now that I actually Do Know some Japanese and I am just reminded of how unnatural it sounds even compared to other works of Japanese fiction.

The brutal, mouth-in-a-meat-grinder Tongue's English accents do me no favors.

Just started, this game is really impressive. The music and world are both fantastic. I'll be playing this for the rest of the year, very excited.

BocoDragon

lobdale said:
Quite the contrary I have played nearly every console RPG ever released and I am used to nay CONDITIONED TO EXPECT terrible voice acting. It is just man what a disparity in quality between cutscene and field. The Japanese is intolerably grating, the English is just humorously bad. There is no win. I can't even switch it onto the "don't understand any of it don't care" Japanese now that I actually Do Know some Japanese and I am just reminded of how unnatural it sounds even compared to other works of Japanese fiction.

I find the battle comraderie charming. I actually really like it. The only thing I don't like is the repetition of lines.

Dmax3901 said:
Anyone get it for less than $100 in Australia?
Holy crap. Import from UK, damn.

x3r0123

lobdale said:

have you tried star ocean 4? if not then give it a try :D

Hyuga

Banned
26thletter said:
Just started, this game is really impressive. The music and world are both fantastic. I'll be playing this for the rest of the year, very excited.
Damn, I love it!
Can't believe some people are not able to play it >_<

BocoDragon

I often say a prayer in my heart... not for starving Africa.. but for the state of Australian gaming :p

$100 DAMN.

Mistle

A lot of console games even go up to $120. And 3DS games are $60-$70! It's ridiculous.

I can get almost half price by importing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Although I'm only 12 hours into the game...I have to say that the Bionis Leg is easily the best crafted area I have ever seen in a video game. It's absolutely astounding.

TheExodu5 said:
Although I'm only 12 hours into the game...I have to say that the Bionis Leg is easily the best crafted area I have ever seen in a video game. It's absolutely astounding.
I love the fact that it's designed to shock you, and it ends up going wayyyy past what you initially think it will be. It just keeps going.

Amala

For people waiting for their GAME copies: got mine today! Shipped on 16th and finally arrived. Hopefully everyone should get their soon.

Ydahs

Dmax3901 said:
Anyone get it for less than $100 in Australia?
$90 is the cheapest I've seen, though you're going to wait a while for shipping so you might as well just import it for < $50 AUD.

And about Aussie game prices, normally you'll be able to find the big release titles for around $80 at launch. Bought a few Wii games for that price before they were marked up to the standard $90+ range.

Top Bottom