• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

So I just played this game for two hours or so. Spent ten minutes on the title screen alone. I can already see how this game is going to be very painful for my OCD tendencies. Achievements, affinities, landmarks, locations, sidequests, blue shinies - there's just so much! It almost overwhelms me at the very start. But it'll be a long, fun adventure, I'm sure.

One thing I really appreciated: I was exploring back behind Colony 9 when all of a sudden the music changed, CAUTION showed up and I knew I had to get out of there now. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to outrun the monster fish that summarily ate me, and my immediate thought was "I haven't saved in an hour! Noooo!" But then I immediately respawned at Outlook Park and was relieved to realize nothing was wasted. Thank you, Xenoblade. Thank you.

Antagon said:
No.
Check the ground level, there is an entrance there. There are some lvl 70-80 monsters there, but only some of them aggro and only by sound, so you can get past there without fighting quite easilly

ahh ok. thank you.
any idead where that entrance might be (E,W,S or N)?

CAUTION showed up and I knew I had to get out of there now. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to outrun the monster fish that summarily ate me, and my immediate thought was "I haven't saved in an hour! Noooo!" But then I immediately respawned at Outlook Park and was relieved to realize nothing was wasted. Thank you, Xenoblade. Thank you.

haha, the infamous Level 38(?) Fish on the beach just behind the troops district. It killed me at least 10 times at the beginning of the game. The first 5 times I didn't even know what was killing me. "Snap!" and dead :(

duckroll

Sammy Samusu said:
I kinda agree, but you should check some in-game cutscenes from Xenoblade, pretty impressive stuff so far.

Early Spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSO0Wlamk1U

I'm not sure why I "should check out some cutscenes". You're implying I don't know what I'm talking about by assuming that I don't know what Xenoblade's cutscenes look like. I am not you. I do not make stupid unfounded comments based on poor research or a lack of understanding. Please. :p

x3r0123 said:
well i was talking about japanese developers in general about hair. It seems alot of them are cheap on hair animation.

Look at xenoblade's hair animation
now look at RoF's hair animation (around 30 sec in, better but notice the giant strands of hair glued together)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od1oRl4yqz4

what i'm hoping for is something like this in the future except better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECnvJeXXE8

Yes, I agree that JP developers in general are pretty behind on the overall graphical curve these days. It's a mix of the lack of solid tools and R&D which is available in their native language, as well as a general lack of experience with higher resolution content and programmable shaders. Because of the state of the industry in Japan at the moment, it'll be quite a while still before the average developer catches up.

At least they still have good art direction and much more ambitious storyboarding than most western games. Japanese set pieces when done well are real spectacles.

PetrCobra

Question about a quest from
Frontier Village
taking place on
Valak Mointain

I need to farm something from Ories but they are always accompanied by several Aries and the loot is always just from the Aries. Should I keep trying all the same or am I doing something wrong?

x3r0123 said:
have you tried star ocean 4? if not then give it a try, mmmkay?
Fixed for authenticity.

And damn,
Eryth Sea
is fucking huge. Spent about 3 hours last night trying to map out the landmarks.

mclem

Hiltz said:
Anyone know where to find Armus milk in Colony 9 for a quest?

Speaking of which - I'm pretty deep in the game (L43) but I've seen this quest mentioned a few times and I think I managed to completely miss it. Who gives it?

mclem

Toth said:
2. The Wii ; ; The graphics are very well detailed and colorful but it's just a shame Wii cannot do HD graphics. This game would look beyond incredible on the PS3.

I have to say: I'm not sure it would. The PS3 is *capable* of making this game look so much better, I grant you, but would Monolith be able to afford it? What would they cut?

daakusedo

duckroll said:
I'm not sure why I "should check out some cutscenes". You're implying I don't know what I'm talking about by assuming that I don't know what Xenoblade's cutscenes look like. I am not you. I do not make stupid unfounded comments based on poor research or a lack of understanding. Please. :p.
Way to overreact.

There is a laia that appears by bad weather on eryth, but just where?

syoaran

Urghghghghg

Level 49 spoilers
URGH. Dolphin crashed after i had spent 2hrs farming materials for Colony 6 rebuild..........
Seriously, this game is the worst time sink since WoW vanilla, in a good way.

Ydahs

mclem said:
I have to say: I'm not sure it would. The PS3 is *capable* of making this game look so much better, I grant you, but would Monolith be able to afford it? What would they cut?
Well, 720p will make a huge difference alone, judging by the Dolphin screens. The game, like quite a few Wii games, don't look out of place on an HD platform when viewed through Dolphin in high resolutions.

I don't have the game yet to judge how good it'll look on my 40" Bravia, but I'm sure it'll be fine. An hour into any game and you get used any graphical blemishes.

SecretMoblin said:
If I recall, there's that cave in the water near the park where the unique comes out at night.

thanks that was it .. i went to the cave at different hours but to not that cave at night.

Found a xenoblade wiki , yet it's quite not complete .. i guess everyone is busy playing ( not that i blame them )

Got one shot by a Lv 71 fish in colony 9 while exploring i guess it's the game kind way to say " don't go there yet "... last game that did that to me was dragon quest 8 ..only this time in xenoblade i'm not punished by death

mclem said:
Speaking of which - I'm pretty deep in the game (L43) but I've seen this quest mentioned a few times and I think I managed to completely miss it. Who gives it?
it's the chef in colony 9 ( gegory i think , sorry the name is from memory) after completing his first quest , there is a second one . Sulk see a vision of him overworking . and then you have to either warn him or to go tell his daugther . if you talk to him to warn him he gives you the task of finding these for you.

i regret talking to him a second time .... i should have talked to his daughter because i'm also looking for these WITHOUT any hint on how to get it .

ps: Sorry about the double post..i want to delete and merge those 2 but i don't see how ...

I'm about 25 hours into this and Level 39 but I've hit a point where I think I'm doing something wrong.

It's a battle spoiler
basically the Monado isn't working against High Entia, it just hits for 1 and bounces off. This happens even if I topple them or use the different monado skills. Is this normal? I'll swap to another character if it is.

mclem

R_thanatos said:
it's the chef in colony 9 ( gegory i think , sorry the name is from memory) after completing his first quest , there is a second one . Sulk see a vision of him overworking . and then you have to either warn him or to go tell his daugther . if you talk to him to warn him he gives you the task of finding these for you.

i regret talking to him a second time .... i should have talked to his daughter because i'm also looking for these WITHOUT any hint on how to get it .

ps: Sorry about the double post..i want to delete and merge those 2 but i don't see how ...

Ah, that would account for my confusion - I went and spoke to his daughter instead.

MiloFoxburr said:
I'm about 25 hours into this and Level 39 but I've hit a point where I think I'm doing something wrong.

It's a battle spoiler
basically the Monado isn't working against High Entia, it just hits for 1 and bounces off. This happens even if I topple them or use the different monado skills. Is this normal? I'll swap to another character if it is.

Yes, it's normal. Remember the lab cutscene? The Monado
won't hurt humans

Finalow

finalozzo said:
btw does someone know why Lupa from frontier village doesn't give me any quest? I have already repaired the 4th bridge. w h y :'(
* >_> anyone? I want the monado
eater.

I think i've been foiled on a sidequest chain due to certain recent plot events and quite frankly i'm pretty pissed.
I believe I asked before about the whole red pollen orbs stuff with the kingpin and all that lark, I got to the point with proof from the merchant but couldn't get the next mission up. So after a bit of searching I finally found out that the starving nopon in the marsh was part of this (and he has that damn red pollen orb for the colony 9 quest, at least I can do that now), but I've never got back to finishing his first quest due to the flammi twin eggs because I can't for the life of me find Flammi in the marsh, seriously what and where are these mythical "Flammi?!", i've spent ages looking for them and I don't recall ever seeing one! Well point is the shenanigans seemingly go on to involve Alcomoth but all the stuff there has been timed out so.....bugger, I really wanted to finish this sidequest. At the very least I can still go find those accursed eggs that held me back, anyone got any dirt on those Flammi creatures? I bet it's going to be real obvious

And I saw some small mouse thing that was over level 100! it destroyed me!

Arkain

Nocturnowl said:
I think i've been foiled on a sidequest chain due to certain recent plot events and quite frankly i'm pretty pissed.
I believe I asked before about the whole red pollen orbs stuff with the kingpin and all that lark, I got to the point with proof from the merchant but couldn't get the next mission up. So after a bit of searching I finally found out that the starving nopon in the marsh was part of this (and he has that damn red pollen orb for the colony 9 quest, at least I can do that now), but I've never got back to finishing his first quest due to the flammi twin eggs because I can't for the life of me find Flammi in the marsh, seriously what and where are these mythical "Flammi?!", i've spent ages looking for them and I don't recall ever seeing one! Well point is the shenanigans seemingly go on to involve Alcomoth but all the stuff there has been timed out so.....bugger, I really wanted to finish this sidequest. At the very least I can still go find those accursed eggs that held me back, anyone got any dirt on those Flammi creatures? I bet it's going to be real obvious

And I saw some small mouse thing that was over level 100! it destroyed me!

There are some Flammi by the pools between the Nopon merchant camp and the exit to Colony 6.

Dascu

Flammi are those big bird/flamingo creatures. There's a few in the north-west region of Satorl Marsh, I think. Near the Nopon camp.

Nocturnowl: Sorry to hear that. There is patch of water north of the one of the quick travel points (the one near
Exile fortress
), you find what you were looking for there.

finalozzo: Are you sure you've finished the other quest Lupa gave you as that appears to be a pre-requirement. But I'll be frank
Modao eater sucks if you ask me

Ulthwe said:
I just got
Dunban
in my party, having finished
the mines section under Colony 6
. I've got some doubts:
  • When you get a
    fourth member in your party
    , does he level up as the others, even when not selected?
  • Do you ever use another character (other than Shulk) as your leader?
*The skills
Rikki
have suggest there is an EXP penalty for not being in the battle party but I must say it must be a very small number. Maybe it only applies to bonuses like finishing with chain attack.
*Yes, as often as I can to keep the game fresh. I have to admit
Sharla
is my least used one since I find them dull to play as.

Chanser said:
Melia after battle voice, sounds so robotic.
You're not using the right party combos, some of them are quite funny conversations. I like
Rikki, Sharla, Melia and Ryen, Sharla, Melia
for the special conversations you get maybe 1/10 of the time.

SecretMoblin said:
Re: skill trees: Yes, you should change the tree when it's full; in fact, you can change it at any time you wish, according to the skills you want. You'll keep the skills you've learned in other trees. I'm not sure about the leveling up question, but my guess would be no, the skill tree you're in does not give you a related stat boost when you level up.
The stat boost the skill tree gives is a number of percentage in the stat it says depending on level of mastery in the tree. e.g. the Wizdom tree* grants agility +2 for its first skill mastered and it selected but agility +15 for full mastery and it selected. Just something to bear in mind if ever reach a point when you master all skill trees on a character.

*-(Personally re: that skill tree
+30% is as only as good as its base, I favour +50 agility from gems then using weapon equips for weapon stuff for much of the game as that will be better and have a safety net. Late-on base agilityand stacking with +20% to all stats if no gems are equiped skill will surpass that...but the later means no 50% double attack...haste isn't a problem thanks to spirit breath
)

mclem

Very quick question, about a set of timed quests (I think the second batch in the game). I'm in
Eryth Sea
, and haven't yet gone to
Prison Island

Specifics about my story progression:
I have Melia back after the Tomb sequence. Mechon are apparently attacking Alcamoth, although it's not really visible at the moment outside cutscenes. I suspect the timed quests may be expiring soon. Do I need to worry? I'd like to polish them off before they expire.

Haunted

The worst part about this game is the jumping animation.

Electivirus said:
*strips Reyn down to his undies*

muahahaha
EI1Mb.png

gamingeek

I have a couple of questions about levelling up. You know you can only have 3 active party members for battles? When you level up, do the active members get levelled up but the non-active ones, do they get points or not? I have been using Reyn, Shulk and Sharla because I assumed that I had used them the most and invested a lot into levelling them up. Then recentely I checked my party page and the other two characters are the same level, 33.

If this is the case and the whole party levels evenly that would be so cool and would free me up to experiment more with changing party members up. So let me know what you guys think.

Finalow

Starwolf_UK said:
Nocturnowl: Sorry to hear that. There is patch of water north of the one of the quick travel points (the one near
Exile fortress
), you find what you were looking for there.

finalozzo: Are you sure you've finished the other quest Lupa gave you as that appears to be a pre-requirement. But I'll be frank
Modao eater sucks if you ask me
does it suck? Mh, i'll try with monado
armor.
in
machina village
right?

BluWacky

finalozzo said:
* >_> anyone? I want the monado
eater.

Have you done all of the following:

- cleared the events on Prison Island
- the pods have landed in Makna Forest
- your affinity with Frontier Village is at 2 stars or higher

Once this is all done you should be able to start the quest chain.

CoolS

gamingeek said:
I have a couple of questions about levelling up. You know you can only have 3 active party members for battles? When you level up, do the active members get levelled up but the non-active ones, do they get points or not? I have been using Reyn, Shulk and Sharla because I assumed that I had used them the most and invested a lot into levelling them up. Then recentely I checked my party page and the other two characters are the same level, 33.

If this is the case and the whole party levels evenly that would be so cool and would free me up to experiment more with changing party members up. So let me know what you guys think.

Yes all characters get experience and talent points etc. even if they are not in the active party.

KarmaCow

CoolS said:
Yes all characters get experience and talent points etc. even if they are not in the active party.

That's what I've noticed, but Riki seems to have a skill that implies that non-active members get less exp and ap.

R_thanatos said:
hi everyone

i'm confused ..

i'm trying to do an early quest . it's Challenge 1 ..where i have to kill some monster near outland park ( writting the name from memory ) From what is written on the quest log .. it's the place very High near colony 9. VERY EARLY SPOILERS .

My problem is that i don't see this monster at all . i've come at various hours , looked in the cave behind the park i just don't see where this monster is .. Any help ?

is there a quest wiki or faq

Game is impressive by the way .. i'm still pretty early in the game seeing as i ve still 2 characters in my party and i'm loving it .

He's in the cave under the park iirc. Jump into the middle into the water.

Well thanks for the help people, alas I just discovered which race the flammi were when doing another sidequest in another location (where I was murdered by a lvl 100 giant robot out of nowhere, the big guns are coming out to maul me in full force today), yup as expected it was obvious all along regarding the flammi.

Zafir

Yeah, they definitely do get less xp. I chucked out Shulk and Reyn for a while, and put in Melia and Riki. Before I did it, Shulk was ahead of everyone else with xp, with Reyn and Sharla being about the same as each other and a bit behind Shulk, while everyone else in the inactive list were quite a bit behind. After a while, the people in the main party, aka Melia and Riki took over Shulk and Reyn, and Sharla steamed ahead. Infact Sharla still is way ahead of everyone else. However, bear in mind, in that time I leveled up 5 levels, and they were only behind by about half a level, so it isn't that significant.

(Oh and before you ask why I was still using Reyn, it's because I'm waiting for Reyn and Sharlas affinity to max out. It's been on the penultimate level for ages. It's gotta max out eventually.. right? Once it's done I'll be shoving Dunban in)

mclem

CoolS said:

I'm reminded of FFX, where I tried to substitute every character into every fight. Not because it was fun, but because it was *optimal*. More games should recognise that the most economical way of playing isn't the most fun, but it *is* a way that some gamers will gravitate towards.

Zafir

I much preferred how X did it to how the majority of other FF's handled it, bar XIII perhaps.

I hated that you had to constantly change your party around if you wanted to level everyone up at the same pace. FFVIII screwed me over for only leveling up 3 characters. Wasn't very happy about that.

Zafir

Asda Entertainment is run by the same people as Zavvi and thehut. So it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Hit my first boss that is giving me trouble around 20 hours in. It's
the tomb boss, the one with the monster and human
. Everyone is around level 40, guess I should raise that a bit?

Sophia

Zafir said:
Asda Entertainment is run by the same people as Zavvi and thehut. So it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Noted, I'll order form Zavvi then.

Or not. Zavvi isn't working either. Trying to select Paypal doesn't even give me the option to login, and it won't authorize my card directly.

ASDA copy (supposedly) shipped on the 15th finally came in! Label on the package was from the airport in Brussels, Belgium, for an order shipped from the UK to US. I don't get it...but whatever. The game is amazing so far! I love how there's so much to find and do just around Colony 9, with all the beaches, caves, etc.

Top Bottom