• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Sadist

Okay, do not read please if you're not far in/didn't finish the game yet.

I fought Gadolt for the second time (party is at lvl 70) in the Machina Captital and man that son of a bitch is strong. It took me a lot of effort and luck but I just managed to beat him. Pfew. Took a break from the game, so I'll watch the cutscene later

Just finished the main story, this game was one hell of a journey, it's been years since a game siphoned so many hours from me so easily, it scares me to think this game may never have left Japan at all!

aktham

Are there any plans to release this in NA? It sounds amazing. I mean NMH2 is keeping me busy mean while, but I'm looking ahead.

aktham said:
Are there any plans to release this in NA? It sounds amazing. I mean NMH2 is keeping me busy mean while, but I'm looking ahead.
Import options are in the OP (though several places are out of stock at the moment).

Even if it comes out here you'll be waiting forever, so just mod your Wii, plunk down some cash at an overseas retailer, and wait.

Dascu

Question about Nic from Colony 9:
How do I get him to move to Colony 6? According to this one FAQ I found, you need Housing Lvl4 and Nopo'Rikkh (or something) in Colony 6. Well, both of those conditions are met. Yet talking to Nic still doesn't give me any option to invite him to move.

This is so hard. Waiting for my new Plasma to get here to play this. I keep checking this thread and drooling over pictures. UGHHHH

Kawl_USC

SecretMoblin said:
Import options are in the OP (though several places are out of stock at the moment).

Even if it comes out here you'll be waiting forever, so just mod your Wii, plunk down some cash at an overseas retailer, and wait.

Pretty sure its OOS at all the major importers since GAME ran out of the collector's edition yesterday.

Speaking of which, I had tried to order that from GAME a few days ago but my bank fucked it up by stopping the payment as they saw an international charge as fraud :(

Luckily I managed to get a copy off of eBay for $107...I say luckily because that seller has now bumped the price up so that it is now like $200 ouch. So ready for this to get here. But I'm gonna keep my self from going RPGCrazied levels of crazy by playing other games and staying busy.

birdchili

SecretMoblin said:
nope. they lose my money on this one if they don't release it proper here.

it's not like i don't have a ton of other stuff to play.

did we and/or are we likely to get sales numbers from Europe on this?

UberTag

BanditKing said:
"Is this coming to the USA"

Reggie and NOA America laughs and says nope.
NOA America believes we're still too busy playing Pokemon Black & White after finishing off Ocarina of Time 3D to have time to bother with new games.

Except for when StarFox 64 3D comes out because it's HARDCORE and us HARDCORE gamers need to play remakes of 14 year old games on our portable systems.

(In other words, every diehard gamer has already modded their Wii and is playing the best-reviewed non-Mario/non-Zelda game to hit a Nintendo platform since GTA: Chinatown Wars shipped in early 2009.)

Kjellson

Warning! Late area spoilers ahead!

So I'm in Mechonis Field right now and I'm doing a quest called "History of Mechonis" and I have problems finding one of the Memory 925 pieces on 1F. It's close to a huge cylinder-thing and it's the second one you see. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about who can help me out?

I was going to post some pictures but I can't get the pic to rotate for some reason. :/

Edit: Found it!

MicH

MoogPaul said:
WORST SPOILERING EVER. Thanks asshole.
Anyone who's played more than like 5 hours of the game is going to know exactly what you're talking about.
THIS fucking THIS. oh GOD what is wrong with you!? FUCK.

Kerrinck

Anybody knows how I can find three sage summit location. Have searched the whole area already and I have no clue where it is.

Varion

Dascu said:
Question about Nic from Colony 9:
How do I get him to move to Colony 6? According to this one FAQ I found, you need Housing Lvl4 and Nopo'Rikkh (or something) in Colony 6. Well, both of those conditions are met. Yet talking to Nic still doesn't give me any option to invite him to move.
You mean the guy
who comes out at night and sits between the crates in the military district? I assume so judging by that description, in which case he needs Housing 5 not 4.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
JumpingTheGun said:
Im enjoying staring at Fiora's ass in that bikini outfit far too much as she runs through the grass on Colony 9. The British accent doesn't help either.

I really need to get laid.

You think she says "one hit kill...or something *giggle* when she comes?

McNum

30-ish hours in and level 45. Time to head off towards
the Mechonis
. The game seems to play this up as a big deal, so I guess I should be prepared. When games get THAT generous, tough bosses usually follow. The story keeps taking turn after turn. While
Mumkhar being Metal Face
was telegraphed fairly heavily, I did not see
Fiora as the other Faced Mechon
. And now there's one more of them? The Monado is going to have to work overtime before I get to the end. Gonna be fun.

Varion

Kerrinck said:
Anybody knows how I can find three sage summit location. Have searched the whole area already and I have no clue where it is.
Japanese but you get the idea:
http://i.imgur.com/4vM3l.jpg
Follow the red line from the entrance of the area, up the slope, across the ice, and eventually you'll get to an ice slide type area (about where the red * is). Equip some movement speed up gems, run at it, and press jump as close to the last second as possible. Hopefully you'll grab onto a wall at the other side above the pools, climb up, follow the path and you'll be there.

eXistor

Sadist said:
I'm always surprised about how many Germans and Dutchies frequent GAF.

Es ist witzig weil es wahr is :p
Problemen mee? ;)

I've just come back to Xenoblade. I finished up on Deus Ex yesterday (awesome, buy it, etc.) so I'm ready to dive deep into this again. I have to say the environments keep surprising me, the scope is absolutely huge, but they manage to keep it visually interesting. The
Nopon village
especially is a joy to wander through. It's also a rare jrpg where I can tolerate the characters and the story is actually interesting enough for me to want to know what's gonna happen next. Not to keep beating a dead horse, but why NOA doesn't just release this in the US is beyond me.

Phenomic

Varion said:
Japanese but you get the idea:
http://i.imgur.com/4vM3l.jpg
Follow the red line from the entrance of the area, up the slope, across the ice, and eventually you'll get to an ice slide type area (about where the red * is). Equip some movement speed up gems, run at it, and press jump as close to the last second as possible. Hopefully you'll grab onto a wall at the other side above the pools, climb up, follow the path and you'll be there.

Did this last night myself. One piece of advice other than this would be save right before you do this so when you miss 3 times in a row like I did you can reload.

Varion

Yeah, saving is definitely a good idea, especially as if you fail you'll have to go right back to the entrance of the area. Don't know what the minimum movement speed bonus you need to do it is, though I've managed fine at 20%.

I'm still without Xenoblade but as a frequent importer, this isn't much of a surprise.

I'm also in the middle of other games so it's whatever.

MicH

Heh, I'm still waiting for my copy from GAME - and I'm in Europe. It has been 17 days now, so it's most likely gotten lost somewhere on the way. Thank god I bought another copy where I live or else I would have gone insane!

truly101 said:
You think she says "one hit kill...or something *giggle* when she comes?
Maybe Reyn will be there as well telling you to "get stuck in!"
Hmm I think I ruined the moment
"good thing i'm still here? nope? anyone?"

!!!

I leave for a moment, and this is what I come back to?!?!

8IRB0.gif

nincompoop said:
Has anyone else who preordered from Zavvi not gotten there's yet? I'm starting to get a little worried :/
If you've been following the thread, you should know that there's a very active member (one who - if I recall correctly - happens to be crazy about RPGs) who hasn't gotten his yet. There are a few others.

Don't get worried just yet. When did it ship? Where are you located? etc.
I would start saying "hmmmm" at the 3 week mark.

Lucentto

Banned
I'm about 10 hours in and I am massively over leveled. The last boss I fought was level 18, I'm 22. I guess I spent too much time completing quest, pretty sure I completed about 100 by now.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lucentto said:
I'm about 10 hours in and I am massively over leveled. The last boss I fought was level 18, I'm 22. I guess I spent too much time completing quest, pretty sure I completed about 100 by now.

I'm in roughly the same situation. That's okay though...as I see it, most of the challenge will come from sidequests and not the main story.

wsippel

Banned
Now this is rare: I'm sad that I'm done with this game. And I'm afraid I'll experience nothing else like it for a few years - probably until NoE decides to release Monolith's Wii U game (if they build on the foundation they've laid, but I actually expect them to do just that). Because despite all the praise this game is getting, I don't see SQEX or Atlus or whatever taking note.

faridmon

wsippel said:
Now this is rare: I'm sad that I'm done with this game. And I'm afraid I'll experience nothing else like it for a few years - probably until NoE decides to release Monolith's Wii U game (if they build on the foundation they've laid, but I actually expect them to do just that). Because despite all the praise this game is getting, I don't see SQEX or Atlus or whatever taking note.
Can you post your final impressions, please? Or do you know one who posted a lengthy final impression about the game after finishing it?

The Int3rsect said:
It's off east from the Residential District bridge. There are some lvl 70 mobs there so watch out.

oh man i was afraid of that. I was in that area for a couple seconds just opening up the map before I was slaughtered in the water by something large

JumpingTheGun said:
oh man i was afraid of that. I was in that area for a couple seconds just opening up the map before I was slaughtered in the water by something large

Haha you can easily avoid them though.

M-PG71C

Mine arrived about two days ago, I ordered from ASDA and live in Tennessee. So I imagine if anyone is left waiting, it shouldn't be too long.

I have yet to open it though, and I have to work all weekend /fuckhealthcare. :p

aktham

SecretMoblin said:

I have faith. I still have a lot of other wii games to get through (not to mention Loz:SS) I want to buy the game and support it when it's released locally.

daakusedo

There is so much to do apart from the end of the story. I think it will go easily to 200h.
It will be time to anticipate and find how to win against 100+ monsters...

Reveirg

x3r0123 said:
30-35% in

Wait...seriously?!?!? I'm 35 hours in! Granted, I've been doing a lot of sidequests, but only 100 on around 430...

This game is HUGE. I was pretty sure I was around 80% in...

Not that I'm complaining :D

wsippel

Banned
faridmon said:
Can you post your final impressions, please? Or do you know one who posted a lengthy final impression about the game after finishing it?
I'm quite drunk, but I'll try...

A good friend of mine used to import anything seemingly worthwhile from Japan. Every once in a while, a few friends from the "old days" (we used to work at a mom and pop store selling Japanese and US import games more than a decade ago) met to drink and play the latest and greatest from Japan, without understanding a word. That's how I played it for the first time. He lent me the game the next day, and I played for sixty hours. Without understanding a thing. A few months later, when the PAL localization was announced, I lent the copy once more, and restarted from the beginning just to recall the game. Still not understanding a thing, I've played for another 50 hours. I was that hyped.

Then I got the PAL copy two days early, thanks to my old connections. Being self employed, I worked harder prior to the release, to have time to actually play the game without any distraction. And I played for more than 120 hours in less than two weeks. Even though I've already played the first 50 - 60 hours twice. It was well worth every minute.

Enough with the boring background, let's talk about this fucking awesome game:

I'll start by saying it's by no means perfect. It does an incredible amount of things right, and many of them better than any other RPG ever, but there are issues. So lets get over it quickly: Shitty animations outside of "real" cutscenes, no bestiary, bad inventory design and equipment management... Those are real issues, but those are also pretty much the only real issues. Pretty much everything else is awesome. The world is huge and imaginative, probably bigger than the world of Oblivion after some research. The technology is simply incredible, with an insane draw distance, tons of foliage, a lot of stuff going on, hardly any load times. The world is simply incredible, the characters mostly likable, and the story is actually a lot more complex than it seems at first. The stuff most people consider big spoilers happen early, and while they are turning points, they're nothing compared to the shit going down late in the game. The big reveal is mysterious and looks like an asspull, but it's not. It makes perfect sense once you think about it (some background knowledge helps, especially in German philosophy - we all know how fond Takahashi is of Nitzsche, but it seems he also loves Leibniz and Kant).

And then there's all the optional stuff. Lots of which is incredibly subtle and deep. Nopons are cute and fluffy? Well, they probably are, but it's all facade. And that's not my personal interpretation, it's a fact. The game tells you as much, and shows you what's going on, if you really want to know. The whole High Entia issue? Same thing. There's a plot point seemingly going nowhere, but that's wrong. It gets resolved if you want to resolve it. It simply becomes optional the moment the plot point isn't relevant for the main storyline anymore, but it's still there, and it still gets resolved if you want to dig deeper.

I really can't write much more without spoiling anything, not to mention most of that post was probably some incoherent fanboyish rambling considering the bottle of Vodka I just had, but I love this game so much. Simply incredible.

RPGCrazied

nincompoop said:
Has anyone else who preordered from Zavvi not gotten theirs yet? I'm starting to get a little worried :/

I'm probably more worried than you. When was yours shipped out? A couple people got theirs from Zavvi, but I'm on day 17. I hope and pray I never have to import a game again. If I do it wont be Zavvi, or anyone that does free shipping.

Top Bottom