• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

mugwhump

For everyone who doesn't like being overlevelled, dcx2 wrote a great Ocarina code to solve that:

EXP multiplier [dcx2]
C20C1550 00000008
48000009 3F333333
C9828198 D981FFF8
6C9A8000 9341FFFC
C961FFF8 ED6B6028
7D8802A6 C18C0000
ED6B0332 FD60581E
D961FFF8 8341FFFC
60000000 00000000

This multiplies the xp obtained by 0.7. If you want to change that, just replace 3F333333 with another 32-bit float. He also wrote a version that can multiply AP and SP as well.

I'm enjoying the game even more now that I don't have to worry about being overlevelled from too many sidequests.

Luigiv

mugwhump said:
For everyone who doesn't like being overlevelled, dcx2 wrote a great Ocarina code to solve that:

EXP multiplier [dcx2]
C20C1550 00000008
48000009 3F333333
C9828198 D981FFF8
6C9A8000 9341FFFC
C961FFF8 ED6B6028
7D8802A6 C18C0000
ED6B0332 FD60581E
D961FFF8 8341FFFC
60000000 00000000

This multiplies the xp obtained by 0.7. If you want to change that, just replace 3F333333 with another 32-bit float. He also wrote a version that can multiply AP and SP as well.

I'm enjoying the game even more now that I don't have to worry about being overlevelled from too many sidequests.
Oh cool. I won't use it (I like being over-levelled :D), but it's nice to know we have the option.

For those who will use it, though, you can use this to figure out your multiplier.

Bankoiia

I love how I can boot up this game and do nothing but sidequests for two hours, turn off the system and still be satisfied with my progress. Just scouting the huge landscapes is keeping me entertained.

hiro4

Bankoiia said:
I love how I can boot up this game and do nothing but sidequests for two hours, turn off the system and still be satisfied with my progress. Just scouting the huge landscapes is keeping me entertained.
That is what I did last night.
This game really tests my OCD for completion.
I think I've spent almost 75% if not more on exploration and side quests. And I love it.

Just arrived at the
Mechonis Capital
after 72 hours at L65. Just like the
factory
before it, this is a really great place. I love the scale of these
industrial and yet somewhat warm
environments.
There were also very cool story parts and cutscenes. Some were undermined by
Fiora's
outfit and funny camera angles, though. :lol

Finalow

mugwhump said:

EXP multiplier [dcx2]
C20C1550 00000008
48000009 3F333333
C9828198 D981FFF8
6C9A8000 9341FFFC
C961FFF8 ED6B6028
7D8802A6 C18C0000
ED6B0332 FD60581E
D961FFF8 8341FFFC
60000000 00000000

waiting for the one that multiplies the xp obtained by 3.

mclem

So, I thought I'd start using that Ocarina code (I'm slightly overlevelled, but uniques still give a challenge), and before I did so I thought I'd back up my saves so if something goes horribly wrong, I don't have to start the game over.

And that means I went into the system memory options, and saw Xenoblade's save data icon.

Holy shit, that's terrifying.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is it a good game to get into for those who have never played JRPG? I'm tempted to buy DVD and do some emulation even though I don't know how it works.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MYE said:
Not sure but i think you need either a Wii or a very specific DVD drive to rip Wii DVDs

What specific drive?

well, I can buy the game and obtain ISO somewhere. It won't be piracy as it is technically buying the game and using scene crack to get rid off annoying DRM.

Anyway my question about the game still stands.

Dascu

slaughterking said:
Just arrived at the
Mechonis Capital
after 72 hours at L65. Just like the
factory
before it, this is a really great place. I love the scale of these
industrial and yet somewhat warm
environments.
There were also very cool story parts and cutscenes. Some were undermined by
Fiora's
outfit and funny camera angles, though. :lol
I just finished that part at 70 hours, lvl 69. Some really awesome cutscenes.

For those who have progressed further:
So, I can take the Junks ship to the Mechonis Core to beat Egil. I feel like this is going to be a rather important moment in the game, so I'm wondering if there's any of the timed quests that will expire now? On that note, I still had two or so active quests at Agniratha. Guess I lost those? What about Mechonis Field, Sword Valley, Central Factory and Galahad Fortress? Will I be able to return to those areas? There's also a timed aspect to Alcamoth, isn't there?

Basically, what quests should I try to finish up before going to fight Egil?

---

subversus: The game isn't like your standard or stereotypical JRPG. Honestly, the closest game in recent memory (that I've played) comparable to Xenoblade Chronicles would be The Witcher 2. Similar type of open world, questing, looting, enemy encounters. Just much grander and with a different, multi-party member battle system.

Ventron

I saw one copy available in a shop in Brisbane, passed up because I thought I could get it cheaper from a UK online site no problems.

Heh. Nope.

Didn't go back to the shop, but bought it from their online site. They have it in stock and will ship it on Monday. They give the CCpro bundle with preorders, which I didn't do, but I double-checked my receipt after ordering and it may seem like I'll get the bundle, but not 100% sure.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
subversus said:
What specific drive?

well, I can buy the game and obtain ISO somewhere. It won't be piracy as it is technically buying the game and using scene crack to get rid off annoying DRM.
It will be if you're using Torrents.
It's also not 'DRM'.

Dascu said:

So, I can take the Junks ship to the Mechonis Core to beat Egil. I feel like this is going to be a rather important moment in the game, so I'm wondering if there's any of the timed quests that will expire now? On that note, I still had two or so active quests at Agniratha. Guess I lost those? What about Mechonis Field, Sword Valley, Central Factory and Galahad Fortress? Will I be able to return to those areas? There's also a timed aspect to Alcamoth, isn't there?

Right, you'll probably deduce some stuff is about to go down from the following but yes there are certainly quests close to vanishing forever, most notably
Alcamoth, you better get cracking on those ones. And yes pretty much all mechonis locations you mentioned will need their quests wrapped up as well.

Dascu

Nocturnowl said:
Right, you'll probably deduce some stuff is about to go down from the following but yes there are certainly quests close to vanishing forever, most notably
Alcamoth, you better get cracking on those ones. And yes pretty much all mechonis locations you mentioned will need their quests wrapped up as well.
Alright, thanks for the info.

Sadist

Eh, I'll just go on a quest completion run during my second playthrough.

I'm going in. My party is at lvl 71 right now and I have three Experience Plus III gems so I'll grind first. Recommended level?

And oh, I need to find more advanced arts manuals as well

Finalow

mclem said:
I got most of Sharla's from
the shop at the Refugee Camp.
i need the advanced ones, for now i can only see that some monsters drop them but i would like to know if there is a shop that sells them.
i don't need books of advanced spells, i need books to max the first spells of sharla and dunban.

Laughing Banana said:
Seriously contemplating controlling her for the rest of the game. Waaayyyyy more lethal and effective than to let her controlled by the AI.
A tip here. You can remove artes from the palette. Which means the AI won't use them. Still, the AI likes to play that character by
having 2 or 3 summons active which is great for chain attacks but slightly inefficient in battle.

Dascu said:

Question. Are the Agniratha quests still active? I did notice when flying into the core I could take a left at some point and end up back in the central factory* (and in fact a quest on the Bridge of Junks thast opens up after flying requires you to do this). Quick travel is disabled so I didn't bother to see if I could enter Agniratha or Mechonis field but if the quests are active you must be able to. Also remember its your last chance for those uniques too.
*-By a door that was previously locked; near the level 70 walker unique.

But quests-wise finish up Alcamoth and the Red Pollen frontier village super sidequest. If you miss any collectibles in areas you can't visit you are able to trade for them so don't worry about not being to rebuild Colony 6 or anything.

finalozzo said:
i need the advanced ones, for now i can only see that some monsters drop them but i would like to know if there is a shop that sells them.
i don't need books of advanced spells, i need books to max the first spells of sharla and dunban.
There are no shops which sell advanced books. Your best bet is machine translate this page and work out which monsters you're best off fighting. Expect them to mostly be rare.

Speaking of that site looking at the artes page in general...there might be a few more lightning element attacks than I thought
Mind blast(?) and Final Cross are lightning?

MicH

I really loathe Ether Mine. Urgh. I now have to find two girls (I believe on is a Nopon) in there and I have given up searching. I hate navigating that place. Does anyone have any advice? The girls are from Colony 6.

MicH said:
I really loathe Ether Mine. Urgh. I now have to find two girls (I believe on is a Nopon) in there and I have given up searching. I hate navigating that place. Does anyone have any advice? The girls are from Colony 6.

One is outside the mine on the sloping paths, the other is in the control room with the Nopon merchants.

wsippel

Banned
MicH said:
I guess you mean two boys (quest from Anna in Colony 6)?
One is by the merchant right when you enter the mine, the other guy isn't in the mine at all. He's at the ether plant roughly halfway between the mine entry and the elevator.

MicH

Thanks for the help! Oh, I thought they were girls, haha. Guess not. Thanks a lot, I'll give it another try.

Another question related to the mine: There's a warehouse door inside near the lake. How do you get the key? Does it happen later in the game? Or is it a sidequest?

wsippel

Banned
MicH said:
Thanks for the help! Oh, I thought they were girls, haha. Guess not. Thanks a lot, I'll give it another try.

Another question related to the mine: There's a warehouse door inside near the lake. How do you get the key? Does it happen later in the game? Or is it a sidequest?
Endgame sidequest.

Diablos54

Varion said:
1. Go stand by the western of the three warp points on that island at night and face the middle of the island. Should be flying in circles.
2. Daytime, centre of the island.
Thanks, but I still can't manage to find either of them, this is really annoying now...

Varion

Diablos54 said:
Thanks, but I still can't manage to find either of them, this is really annoying now...
Are you sure you didn't accidentally kill them? Try going to those spots then saving and reloading a bunch of times? Because that's all that would fit, I actually went to those spots and checked that the uniques were there before posting. So they are definitely there!

LProtag

I keep feeling like I'm missing out on tons of sidequests, even though I think I'm getting a good amount done.

I guess I'll just do some backtracking once I'm done getting through these mines.

Diablos54

Varion said:
Are you sure you didn't accidentally kill them? Try going to those spots then saving and reloading a bunch of times? Because that's all that would fit, I actually went to those spots and checked that the uniques were there before posting. So they are definitely there!
I might have killed them, I'm not sure, so I'm saving/reloading now. Do I have to keep saving each time, or can I just save once and keep reloading that file?

Varion

Diablos54 said:
I might have killed them, I'm not sure, so I'm saving/reloading now. Do I have to keep saving each time, or can I just save once and keep reloading that file?
Just reloading the same file is fine.

Gvaz

Banned
So I've been playing for like....20 something hours and I'm level 36 and I'm at the forest.

emot-sbahj.gif

InsertNameHere said:
If you kill a unique before you get the quest it just auto-fulfills when you get it, right?
Nope.

48 hours. Location:
Mechonis Capital.

Story:
Just got to the Mechonis Capital. Given the latest plot developments, the main storyline doesn't appear to be all that complex anymore. Now that I've got the gist of the whole Bionis/Mechonis battle, the story has lost a lot of the intrigue for me. A lot of small details seem to have been lost entirely, and I can only assume that they're followed through in sidequests now rather than in the main story. Things such as the mysterious ruins and defence systems on Bionis, the High Entia/Homs integration being pursued by the AI of the High Entia Tomb, Melia's assassination attempts/the Bionis Order, etc. Of course these issues could be answered in the main storyline, but they happened so long ago now and there hasn't been any reference to them since.

The Jade Face battle was quite strange as well, having to work your way up to him, avoiding his Arts by hiding, and fighting, behind the barriers. I don't know whether the battle ended after a certain amount of HP was depleted or after I toppled him but he went down in seconds after I got to him.

General location talk:
I can't be the only one who finds the Mechonis side of the game to be fairly dull after the Bionis environments, with the except of the Fallen Arm. Sword Valley, Gallahad Fortress, Mechonis Field and Mechonis Factory (I can't even remember the name...) all have the same aesthetic, with the same Mechon enemies and are all fairly straight forward with little deviation. There are valid story reasons for the above, but given the variety of the locations on Bionis, the Mechonis side just doesn't live up to the expectations. The further I've got into the game, the more filler there seems to be as well. On Mechonis they don't even hide this fact since to advance anywhere you have to do some kind of story question involving either a). carving a long trial to a button or b). killing a unique foe. I think the fact that the pacing of the beginning of the game was so good makes the later padding all the more visible.

So I dunno. I think the first 1/2 of the game is fantastic but sets a precedence that, unfortunately the next 1/3 doesn't adequately match, although it is still highly enjoyable. Maybe the end will make up for it,but given the level jumps I'm not quite sure whether I'll see it or not. ;P

So I'm very late into the game.
The Mechonis started moving and I have to talk to the mechonis village chief to get over there and stop it. I assume that's the point of no return? Yes/No?

McNum

So I'm a little further, about to cross
The Sword of the Mechonis
(at level 45) and I'm about ready to call the rest of the plot now. Just so you can ridicule me and I can make a fool of myself, I'm going to post them here, in spoilers, of course.

Just met the big golden leader Mechon. He's not the final boss, his "fight the oppression of the Bionis" line seals that. But I will get to fight him, possibly to "rescue" Fiora, or whatever. Fiora is going to be the final party member, I expected Alvis, but that's doubtful now. (I had that spoiled, but it's kind of obvious now.) What's going to happen is that between the Bionis and Mechnonis there is a third hidden faction. Likely operating out of that severed hand on the first page of the manual. They're the ones attacking both sides. Why? I don't know, but they do have awesome seats for a Bionis vs. Mechonis rematch, so I'll go with that. In any case, the endgame is going to involve either preventing or stopping the reawakening of both titans. Part of me hopes that I get to fight them, but that seems almost too awesome to happen. Would be one hell of a final boss, though.

I'm fairly confident I got some of it right, and I hope my off the wall awesome prediction is true especially. Ah well, I'll make a fool out of myself with this prediction yet. :)

Varion

slaughterking said:
Yes.

CruxisMana said:
Stuff relating to area with L65 enemies
Also spoiler for L65 enemy area:
While I agree with you on the locations (the BGM made up for it in the Field, but the Central Arsenal track was honestly one of the only weak ones in the game for me), don't be getting disappointed with the plot just yet. You're coming up to some really awesome stuff.

CruxisMana said:
48 hours. Location:
Mechonis Capital.

General location talk:
I can't be the only one who finds the Mechonis side of the game to be fairly dull after the Bionis environments, with the except of the Fallen Arm. Sword Valley, Gallahad Fortress, Mechonis Field and Mechonis Factory (I can't even remember the name...) all have the same aesthetic, with the same Mechon enemies and are all fairly straight forward with little deviation. There are valid story reasons for the above, but given the variety of the locations on Bionis, the Mechonis side just doesn't live up to the expectations. The further I've got into the game, the more filler there seems to be as well. On Mechonis they don't even hide this fact since to advance anywhere you have to do some kind of story question involving either a). carving a long trial to a button or b). killing a unique foe. I think the fact that the pacing of the beginning of the game was so good makes the later padding all the more visible.

So I dunno. I think the first 1/2 of the game is fantastic but sets a precedence that, unfortunately the next 1/3 doesn't adequately match, although it is still highly enjoyable. Maybe the end will make up for it,but given the level jumps I'm not quite sure whether I'll see it or not. ;P

I certainly agree to an extent here.
The Mechonis locations remind me of what I don't enjoy about RPG games, Probably my least favourite section of the game. I was hoping that the mechonis would sidestep being a big tech fortress location, when they first mentioned the mechonis field I was hoping for the Mechonis equivalent of the Bionis Leg, just with lots more mechanical stuff as opposed to grassy plains and rock formations.
Instead it was lots of mechanical stuff but in the form of a multi tiered dungeon like area, no interesting sights and no real drive to explore, repeated enemies and just kind of dull to look at.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fucking finally! Turns out it got in yesterday and my parents didn't tell me they had a strange package from Europe.

For the tracking: Ordered from 365, got it in Wisconsin

KarmaCow

Well damn, I'm at the point where I have to learn Shulk's 'more exp for quests' skill or I'll be wasting SP. Is there anyway to disable a character's own skill?

wsippel

Banned
McNum said:
So I'm a little further, about to cross
The Sword of the Mechonis
(at level 45) and I'm about ready to call the rest of the plot now. Just so you can ridicule me and I can make a fool of myself, I'm going to post them here, in spoilers, of course.

Just met the big golden leader Mechon. He's not the final boss, his "fight the oppression of the Bionis" line seals that. But I will get to fight him, possibly to "rescue" Fiora, or whatever. Fiora is going to be the final party member, I expected Alvis, but that's doubtful now. (I had that spoiled, but it's kind of obvious now.) What's going to happen is that between the Bionis and Mechnonis there is a third hidden faction. Likely operating out of that severed hand on the first page of the manual. They're the ones attacking both sides. Why? I don't know, but they do have awesome seats for a Bionis vs. Mechonis rematch, so I'll go with that. In any case, the endgame is going to involve either preventing or stopping the reawakening of both titans. Part of me hopes that I get to fight them, but that seems almost too awesome to happen. Would be one hell of a final boss, though.

I'm fairly confident I got some of it right, and I hope my off the wall awesome prediction is true especially. Ah well, I'll make a fool out of myself with this prediction yet. :)
Nice theory. Wrong, but nice.

wsippel

Banned
CruxisMana said:
48 hours. Location:
Mechonis Capital.

Story:
Just got to the Mechonis Capital. Given the latest plot developments, the main storyline doesn't appear to be all that complex anymore. Now that I've got the gist of the whole Bionis/Mechonis battle, the story has lost a lot of the intrigue for me. A lot of small details seem to have been lost entirely, and I can only assume that they're followed through in sidequests now rather than in the main story. Things such as the mysterious ruins and defence systems on Bionis, the High Entia/Homs integration being pursued by the AI of the High Entia Tomb, Melia's assassination attempts/the Bionis Order, etc. Of course these issues could be answered in the main storyline, but they happened so long ago now and there hasn't been any reference to them since.
Yes, some stuff gets relegated to sidequests. Makes sense I think, as those plot points became irrelevant to the main story line at some point, so it's probably a good idea to make wrapping those lines up optional. And you still have a few wham moments ahead of you. I heavily doubt you've figured it all out by now. ;)

Nocturnowl said:
I certainly agree to an extent here.
The Mechonis locations remind me of what I don't enjoy about RPG games, Probably my least favourite section of the game. I was hoping that the mechonis would sidestep being a big tech fortress location, when they first mentioned the mechonis field I was hoping for the Mechonis equivalent of the Bionis Leg, just with lots more mechanical stuff as opposed to grassy plains and rock formations.
Instead it was lots of mechanical stuff but in the form of a multi tiered dungeon like area, no interesting sights and no real drive to explore, repeated enemies and just kind of dull to look at.

That's exactly what I thought as well! I saw mention of Mechonis Field a few pages back, when I was still on the Fallen Arm, and was expecting it to be similar to Gaur Plains, except obviously more war-torn and mechanical, but with a larger degree of exploration than the previous areas Mechonis areas had. Instead, as you said, it's a multi-tiered, linear dungeon. The only in part I particularly enjoying was the outside climb, since you get a good view of Bionis and can see all the area's on it that you've explored.

wsippel said:
Yes, some stuff gets relegated to sidequests. Makes sense I think, as those plot points became irrelevant to the main story line at some point, so it's probably a good idea to make wrapping those lines up optional. And you still have a few wham moments ahead of you. I heavily doubt you've figured it all out by now. ;)

I definitely expect more big story moments. I imagine the game leaves the big guns until last, so the point I'm at is just a bit of a lull.

I think I'll take advantage of the lull to go back and try and find some of the new sidequests that might answer some of those smaller issues. Also, out of interest; do any sidequests have cutscenes?

Top Bottom