• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

mclem

Starwolf_UK said:
A tip here. You can remove artes from the palette. Which means the AI won't use them. Still, the AI likes to play that character by
having 2 or 3 summons active which is great for chain attacks but slightly inefficient in battle.

I actually do the same when playing her, with one key difference: If you are able to initiate the attack, I'll then immediately call my teammates back - so we're able to cast spells without actually being in a fight. At that point I can summon the elementals at my leisure and have the buffs in play from them. When I've got all three, I release my teammates and I do the same *principle* of loading one up and firing one off, but in practice I'm doing that with the third slot rather than the first.

Varion said:
Also spoiler for L65 enemy area:
While I agree with you on the locations (the BGM made up for it in the Field, but the Central Arsenal track was honestly one of the only weak ones in the game for me), don't be getting disappointed with the plot just yet. You're coming up to some really awesome stuff.

Missed this.

I think my dislike of the areas left me hoping for more story development than was provided, considering that you have to progress through Mechonis Field and Central Arsenal until you get to the Data Bank. On the plus side though, I'm glad I was overlevelled for both of those zones (level 65) so I managed to get through them much quicker than if I had had to fight all the Mechon placed one after another on the narrow paths.

wsippel

Banned
CruxisMana said:
I definitely expect more big story moments. I imagine the game leaves the big guns until last, so the point I'm at is just a bit of a lull.

I think I'll take advantage of the lull to go back and try and find some of the new sidequests that might answer some of those smaller issues. Also, out of interest; do any sidequests have cutscenes?
A few of them, yes.

By the way, I believe all the sidequests in question (those wrapping up former main storyline stuff) are endgame content. You can't do them yet. In fact, some of them are impossible to clear until you're beyond level 95.

wsippel said:
By the way, I believe all the sidequests in question (those wrapping up former main storyline stuff) are endgame content. You can't do them yet. In fact, some of them are impossible to clear until you're beyond level 95.

*shakes fist

I might do them then, but I'm not much of an endgame or sidequest person. ;P

Good to know that it's there though.

Remfin

Wallpaper-sized versions of the title screen (I have screenshots of the other times but I realized you can see a giant seam in the skybox during them :( ):

Night 1, Night2, Night to Dawn, Dawn:

Sadly they don't seem to look as good as they do in Dolphin live...are Dolphin screenshots before AA or something?

Dascu

Alright, I just progressed to a very story-heavy moment. I'm starting to understand what wsippel (and others) have been saying. Shit just got real.

Question though:
So, is talking to Miloq in Junks going to send me to the real point of no return, and the final battles with the Trinity and Zanza?

The story has also reminded me of Killer7 to some extent, with the entire dueling Gods plot point. I also see the philosophy/Nietsche inspirations, with the themes of defying fate and the emancipation of Man against God. Very nice.

Also, during one flashback, Egil named Zanza/the Giant something else (Alras or something?). What's up with that? Am I correct in assuming that the Giant that Egil was friends with (this Alras) was later possessed by Zanza/the Soul of Bionis?

And somebody please make an edit of that YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD meme picture.

Varion

Dascu said:
Alright, I just progressed to a very story-heavy moment. I'm starting to understand what wsippel (and others) have been saying. Shit just got real.

Question though:
So, is talking to Miloq in Junks going to send me to the real point of no return, and the final battles with the Trinity and Zanza?

The story has also reminded me of Killer7 to some extent, with the entire dueling Gods plot point. I also see the philosophy/Nietsche inspirations, with the themes of defying fate and the emancipation of Man against God. Very nice.
No, talking to him will send you to the first of the final dungeons. There are landmarks there, and you'll be able to warp to and from the area (there are Colony 6 restoration items in there so you need to be able to), choosing to proceed doesn't time anything out or whatever. Next time you get asked if you're sure you want to proceed then that's the last time.

Oxx

At level 30 I have decided to go back to all the side-quests I ignored throughout the game. Obviously the XP rewards are pretty insignificant and money isn't that useful, but it has been refreshing to fully explore the old locations again after plowing relentlessly forward for a lot of the game.

wsippel

Banned
Dascu said:
Also, during one flashback, Egil named Zanza/the Giant something else (Alras or something?). What's up with that? Am I correct in assuming that the Giant that Egil was friends with (this Alras) was later possessed by Zanza/the Soul of Bionis?
Correct.

LProtag

Ah, okay. Does Those Who Bear Their Name only play when you fight unique monsters or when you just fight tougher ones? Just curious as that's how I've been assuming I've been fighting unique monsters.

Varion

InsertNameHere said:
Crap, really? Are there quests for all unique creatures? I've run into some that I didn't even notice were unique and killed them without having a quest for them.
Not all. And yeah, they'll respawn, just not always like regular enemies. If you know where they are then either keep warping to a landmark or save and keep reloading the save until they appear.

Also oh boy, the end of that quest chain in (town name)
Frontier Village
was awesome. The one that gives you 100000 in money, 200000 exp and double attack/haste/EXP 6 gems. It's a shame they cut the BGM that plays there short in the official soundtrack, I want the longer version.

Ho-lee-shit, the "Bionis' Knee" area is A-ma-zing. Someone pinch me.

Plus, the battle system keeps on impressing me, it's like the game keeps on adding layer upon layer of depth and just won't stop.

Varion said:
Also oh boy, the end of that quest chain in (town name)
Frontier Village
was awesome. The one that gives you 100000 in money, 200000 exp and double attack/haste/EXP 6 gems. It's a shame they cut the BGM that plays there short in the official soundtrack, I want the longer version.
I told you didn't I? :D Easily one of the best chain sidequests in the game. Blew my mind how good/emotional/utterly amazing that was.

I tried
Avalanche Abaasy, level 120 Dragon
for fun, one shot Instant Kill without vision...yeah I'll come back later when I've come to understand gem crafting, and made a sh*it ton of VIs

MicH

Gvaz said:
So I've been playing for like....20 something hours and I'm level 36 and I'm at the forest.
I'm exactly where you are, but 4 levels lower :p Just got to the forest as well and it's too overwhelming for the explorer in me. There's almost no visibility and I hate sticking to the main path :p

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So I did every single quest available at the first area (being vague to avoid spoilers) and now that I am at the 2nd area every enemy is way too low of a level to be a challenge...

Should I avoid doing all quests in this game in order to not be overpowered or will it balance itself out? (I am level 18 already)

Varion

lsslave said:
So I did every single quest available at the first area (being vague to avoid spoilers) and now that I am at the 2nd area every enemy is way too low of a level to be a challenge...

Should I avoid doing all quests in this game in order to not be overpowered or will it balance itself out? (I am level 18 already)
By the time it balances itself out it's too late, you're approaching the end of the game. So yeah, if you want to not be overpowered then you'll have to restrain yourself on quests, particularly the ones that give EXP.

lsslave said:

I've started avoiding quests that give me exp because I am 3-4 levels higher than I wish I was. I'm further into the game than you, and it hasn't balanced itself out at all.

MechaX

It's kinda funny how whenever I come into this topic, the first thing I think to myself is "Man, I hope RPGCrazied gets his copy today."

Reveirg

Sooo there's a crapload of timed quests in
Alcamoth. I just got to the point when the Mechon attacked and I'm supposed to go to Eryth Sea to reach Prison Island. Do I still have a while before the sidequests expire? I don't want to overlevel too much (I already really am), but I don't want to miss the quests.

wsippel

Banned
Reveirg said:
Alcamoth. I just got to the point when the Mechon attacked and I'm supposed to go to Eryth Sea to reach Prison Island. Do I still have a while before the sidequests expire? I don't want to overlevel too much (I already really am), but I don't want to miss the quests.
Yes. Quite a while.

Reveirg said:
Alcamoth. I just got to the point when the Mechon attacked and I'm supposed to go to Eryth Sea to reach Prison Island. Do I still have a while before the sidequests expire?
Yes, there's no hurry.

you should see his topic on GFaqs. Pretty incredible.

by the way
i think im overleveled too. Im about lv15 or 16 and Colony 9s being attacked by Mechon with Dunban saving the day. I really am just itching to go kill that damn giant caterpillar in Tephra though.

KarmaCow

Well crap, I'm wondering of a point of no return
after the attack on Galahad Fortress, is it completely locked out forever? I forgot to complete the collectopedia there.
My last save is 4 hours behind and that after a bunch of crafting, selling and questing.

wsippel

Banned
ElTopo said:
Got a question regarding
skill trees
: Anyone can tell me where I can find
Reyn's 4th skill tree
? Thanks in advance.
Ma'Crish, Colony 6, daytime.

KarmaCow said:
Well crap, I'm wondering of a point of no return
after the attack on Galahad Fortress, is it completely locked out forever? I forgot to complete the collectopedia there.
My last save is 4 hours behind and that after a bunch of crafting, selling and questing.
Yes, but don't worry. Trading is your friend.
Hidden Village, Fallen Arm.

KarmaCow

wsippel said:
Yes, but don't worry. Trading is your friend.
Hidden Village, Fallen Arm.
So there is an NPC that a Locust Spring for trade?
I know it's minor but this the sort of thing that nags on me.

wsippel

Banned
KarmaCow said:
So there is an NPC that a Locust Spring for trade?
I know it's minor but this the sort of thing that nags on me.
I think so. As far as I'm aware,
all items from areas that will eventually become inaccessible can be traded.

KarmaCow

wsippel said:
I think so. As far as I'm aware,
all items from areas that will eventually become inaccessible can be traded.

Well that's a huge relief, thank you.

Orkatix has the Locust Spring on him if anyone was wondering.

Oops with regards to the reconstruction sidequest (near its completion)
Remember how clearing a level made some enemies attack the ether plants (meaning they crystal you get will be level 1) and these guys were usually pushovers. Not this time. The enemy is level 99 and for once I actually wanted to mine stuff hence the oops...oh well thats only what, 10 levels before I can hit him without crazy accuracy penalty for name being in Red...

Also I can finally open those sealed doors (the ones with
the high entia crest on them
). You need to an endgame quest found at
the Marshlands there is an NPC located near Oath Sanctuary at night.

ElTopo said:
Got a question regarding
[skill trees
: Anyone can tell me where I can find
Reyn's 4th skill tree
? Thanks in advance.
Sidequest line to do with
Colony 6. You need a Nopon Chef, a High entia Chef, some high entia woman called Ma'crish (who loiters about the reconstruction HQ daytime) and maybe a nopon food critic too and hopefully they'll have quests for you

wrowa

InsertNameHere said:
So all these timed quests really just mean after a point in the game I can't do them anymore? Will it be obvious?
You'll get a warning screen before they expire afaik.

Haunted

Ah, I figured out why characters out of your party do not fall behind in levels even though they do get awarded less exp. points than characters in your party: characters with lower levels get more exp. points from quests and monsters. So that offsets them not being in the active battle party and makes sure they do not fall behind.

Minor Colony 9 sidequest spoilers:
just did the harmony/affinity quest and my lvl 68 Reyn got 22000 exp points compared to the 20000 exp points my lvl 69 Shulk got.

Alrus

Haunted said:
Minor Colony 9 sidequest spoilers:
just did the harmony/affinity quest and my lvl 68 Reyn got 22000 exp points compared to the 20000 exp points my lvl 69 got.

There's a major character spoiler in your minor sidequest spoiler, that's not really nice :/

InsertNameHere said:
So all these timed quests really just mean after a point in the game I can't do them anymore? Will it be obvious?
For some it is obvious. For others it can be a bit harder to tell but you'll know from the story that "yeah I won't be doing those quests". I'd guess if you're that into not missing any quests, keep 2 saves and also go back to old locations with some regularity too...though I think old locations having new timed quests only applied the awesome
Red Pollen
sidequest line.

Or consulting some sort of guide or spreadsheet but most list it in in-game order meaning all of Colony 9 (including the endgame ones) then Tepra Cave etc while it would be better to list it as what you can do at the time...

Another annoyance that the game doesn't flat out say. You're on Chapter x. That would be a boon for spoilers. For those of you wonder the numbers I posted a few days might well have been out by 1 but were self consistent.

Haunted said:
sidequest spoilers:
just did the harmony/affinity quest and my lvl 68 Reyn got 22000 exp points compared to the 20000 exp points my lvl 69...
You sure you didn't link the Rewarding work skill that character? At least from what I see (another boosting skill)
Adventure time
only seems to work as a linked skill so maybe that one is the same.

Anyway I have almost the opposite problem with EXP (why I have the problem)
EXP up Gems and equipment with innate EXP Up gems means being outside of the battle party is the best place to get EXP...

mjc

C'mon guys, lets keep a close eye on what/how you spoiler tag. If you think its important at all, just tag it.

Ledsen

RPGCrazied said:
Nice. Labor Day weekend ruined confirmed.
Dude, do you seriously not have anything better to do than wait for this game? I understand that you're probably very young, but try to contain yourself. Do something else with your time. Hang out with family and friends, spend time on another hobby, anything but keep obsessing over xenoblade. It's just a game.

Alrus

Haunted said:
*re-reads*

oh fuck

sorry, guy. Totally unintentional. :(

Guess it's my fault, I knew you were advanced in the story and still read it... Oh well, I don't mind that much, I kinda expected that to happen at some point in the story anyway :)

Top Bottom