• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

wsippel

Banned
McNum said:
I see Xenoblade as a Reconstruction of the JRPG story, really. Yes, Shulk is the naive chosen one who's weirdly skilled with a sword, but it then explores what a character like that in a slightly deeper angle that you'd expect. Same with the opening, we've seen it all before until... that happens. I really like how they played it out, too. (opening spoilers)
I'm, of course talking about Fiora's death. The childhood friend? The perky rogue? They NEVER die in JRPGs, and Fiora is both! Then we see a vision of her getting stabbed to death. Then we see Shulk experience that exact same situation, while struggling to get up. So, of course, he's going to intervene any second now. And then Fiora is killed exactly like you were shown in the vision. And the game just stares you in the eye and says "This is how it is going to be. Deal with it."
You know you want to play on and see what happens next. And the game doesn't disappoint.

And yes,
I support Sharla's adventures in shipping, too. Melia is awesome, and unintentionally funny, too. After telling the laws of physics to sit down and shut up in a glorious magical display she yells "Now witness my TRUE power!" and runs up to the giant monster and hits it on the knee with her staff. Then does a gliding tackles and knocks it over. I love that.
It's not that weird. He is a member of the defense force, even if he's in R&D. But you can assume he still had at least some basic training, not to mention Dickson was his mentor. And regarding that "chosen one" thing... Welp, you'll see soon enough I guess. If you want a hint:
He's actually not really the "chosen one" in any traditional sense.

polg

I played the first 8 hours and loving it. -so-many-systems- and -so-many-things-to-collect-

I've just found the (tags just in case):
collectopedia
which I don't remember being mentioned anywhere in the tutorials. I completed it for the first area.

the first for hours are a bit of a roller coaster ride, and can't wait what to see how the story unfolds.

I really like that rewards exporing a LOT :) it is so vast, it reminds me of Final Fantasy XII.

wsippel

Banned
KarmaCow said:
Well I figured it was close enough considering the 'reveal' at the capitol and there are probably just a few more left.

So is the one coming up the last one? I'm trying to leave the high exp stuff for just before the final boss, and the end/post game stuff for another save.
Do any remaining Alcamoth quests now, then journey onwards. The game (or Dunban, actually) will tell you when you're at the final point of no return. You'll also notice this because once you reach that point, you can neither quick travel nor save until you see the credits.

KarmaCow

wsippel said:
Do any remaining Alcamoth quests now, then journey onwards. The game (or Dunban, actually) will tell you when you're at the final point of no return. You'll also notice this because once you reach that point, you can neither quick travel nor save until you see the credits.

Alright thanks (again!)

SecretMoblin said:
I think the battle animations are fine, but jumping off of high places?

Ummmm...
If you've ever jumped off
the peak of Valek Mountain
you endure far too much of the unnatural plummeting, plus you look as if you're sliding down the cliff face on your backside

Gvaz

Banned
Dolphin Screenshots? Don't mind if I do!

dolphin2011-09-0221-040uk1.jpg

sx4p01-12uulr.jpg

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
How is the CCPro setup?

I've been playing with Wiimote+Nunchuck, and it's awesome, I fear that with the CC I won't be able to run while navigating menus, or move my character while changing artes, and I find that awesome.

It's true that the camera is not very comfortable, but I've grown accustomed to it, and I can still run while changing the camera, and it's not big deal. I can't see the advantage of using a CC Pro over W+N, anyone?

mugwhump said:
For everyone who doesn't like being overlevelled, dcx2 wrote a great Ocarina code to solve that:

EXP multiplier [dcx2]
C20C1550 00000008
48000009 3F333333
C9828198 D981FFF8
6C9A8000 9341FFFC
C961FFF8 ED6B6028
7D8802A6 C18C0000
ED6B0332 FD60581E
D961FFF8 8341FFFC
60000000 00000000

This multiplies the xp obtained by 0.7. If you want to change that, just replace 3F333333 with another 32-bit float. He also wrote a version that can multiply AP and SP as well.

I'm enjoying the game even more now that I don't have to worry about being overlevelled from too many sidequests.

how do i go about inserting this code if i'm playing from my HDD + Wii?

Varion

manueldelalas said:
I've been playing with Wiimote+Nunchuck, and it's awesome, I fear that with the CC I won't be able to run while navigating menus, or move my character while changing artes, and I find that awesome.

It's true that the camera is not very comfortable, but I've grown accustomed to it, and I can still run while changing the camera, and it's not big deal. I can't see the advantage of using a CC Pro over W+N, anyone?
Just stick with it if you like it, honestly. It doesn't sound like switching would offer you any advantages. Personally I don't feel the need to run while switching arts all that often (and navigating menus while running I just use The Claw), much prefer the camera controls on the CCP, and to be quite honest just don't like the Wiimote in the first place, so I'll always default to the CCP where it's available.

Chaos

I went to buy this online and it was sold out everywhere, walked into my local Game store today and got the last copy :)

Haunted

SecretMoblin said:
I think the battle animations are fine, but jumping off of high places?

Ummmm...
srsly

Ocarina of Time had a custom "dive" animation for two or three spots in the game in 1998 - but a 2011 title with the scope of Xenoblade couldn't do proper jumping animations for the dozens of times it would've been appropriate? Quite baffling.

"I wonder what happens if I jump off this cliff into nothingness. Oh, I level up. Sweet."

About 6 hours in and two things continue to stand out to me. First, the cutscene direction. While the character models and animations themselves aren't great, the camera work creates a great sense of scale and enhances the excitement of the action scenes, and the compositions in general are expressive of the characters' emotional states. Second, the battle system. It's been continually adding layer upon layer - it's a bit overwhelming at times, but the feeling of carefully observing the battle, figuring out the proper positioning, the right Arts to use, when to assist your companions, how to counteract and prevent your enemy's actions - it all comes together to make for engrossing and exciting strategic combat. It fixes the problem I had with Final Fantasy XII, which felt a little too much on auto-pilot most of the time.

I think I'm doing the combat wrong, I just spam all available attacks until I've run out and then wait for them to regenerate. I haven't died yet though, I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm supposed to be doing. Also, I can't get over a 3-chain combo because my characters do not have all the same colour commands, e.g. one of them doesn't have a red.

MicH

PumpkinPie said:
I think I'm doing the combat wrong, I just spam all available attacks until I've run out and then wait for them to regenerate. I haven't died yet though, I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm supposed to be doing. Also, I can't get over a 3-chain combo because my characters do not have all the same colour commands, e.g. one of them doesn't have a red.
Lol, I do the same thing :p Works good for me.

tinders

So I'm at Lvl 29 and have just reached
the Sororal Statues in Satorl Marsh.
I must say that the romp through the Ether Mines was one the best designed dungeons I've played through recently - I loved everything about it.
Exploring every inch of the place really gives you a great sense of accomplishment when you find that tiny path that leads to some hidden area - even if it is just to find a collectible for the collectopedia.

So what say you XenoGAF, am I over/under leveled for the trials ahead? Should I be going back and doing the
Colony 6 rebuilding quests?

wsippel

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
Same color -> increased damage. It doesn't extend the combo. Affinity, tension and certain high level skills extend the combos. Also, spamming arts is not a good idea. It sorta works early on, but it's a bad habit and will get punished later in the game. If you spam arts quickly, you draw a ton of aggro and recharging your Monado arts takes ages.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
tinders said:
So I'm at Lvl 29 and have just reached
the Sororal Statues in Satorl Marsh.
I must say that the romp through the Ether Mines was one the best designed dungeons I've played through recently - I loved everything about it.
Exploring every inch of the place really gives you a great sense of accomplishment when you find that tiny path that leads to some hidden area - even if it is just to find a collectible for the collectopedia.

So what say you XenoGAF, am I over/under leveled for the trials ahead? Should I be going back and doing the
Colony 6 rebuilding quests?

You seem fine, you'll need to level within that next area anyway, so keep questing! Doesnt hurt. :p

Gvaz

Banned
equip your characters skills with similar colors then. You can actually keep on chaining if the colors are similar or if you use a wildcard. It gives you a chance to continue this with the B button as well. I got 30k chain pre-40s easily this way on a boss.

I wish you could move around on a chain attack though, shulk does around 30k damage when the mob has a defense debuff and strength buff while doing Backslash o_O

Antagon

PumpkinPie said:

Spamming attacks is pretty normal I think. Especially if you play shulk, as after you upgrade your attacks a couple of time you should rarely have to wait longer then a second or two for regenerating skills. Just make sure that you position correctly, as this helps increasing the party bar quickly.

You don't need to use the same color of commands to get a chain of more then 3. To get longer chains you need more affinity between party members. Using the same color does increase the chain multiplier. Also, using a 'white' skill (always the middle skill in the bar) acts kinda like a wildcard. You can use it after any skill and use any skill after that and it'll always increase the multiplier. If you use a different color skill after it as before you can even change the color of the chain. Chains with maxed out multiplier are devastating. Especially Monado Buster against Mechon.

PumpkinPie said:
Wait...I've been playing for about 20 hours, you can equip skills??
Yeah, most if not all characters get more then 8 skills. You can switch them out in the skill menu using Y.

Gvaz

Banned
you get new "ARTS" as you level up, and you only have so many slots. you can switch them out with ones you want to use.

I call them skills because arts is stupid. skills in this game should be renamed "talents"

Antagon

Gvaz said:
equip your characters skills with similar colors then. You can actually keep on chaining if the colors are similar or if you use a wildcard. It gives you a chance to continue this with the B button as well. I got 30k chain pre-40s easily this way on a boss.

I wish you could move around on a chain attack though, shulk does around 30k damage when the mob has a defense debuff and strength buff while doing Backslash o_O

I've done 70k Monado busters, and ridiculous amounts of damage with some AoE attacks as well. Chains really are devastating, really wonder what the total damage for that chain was.

KarmaCow

Antagon said:
About the area after the one in the second screenshot:

One thing that kinda botters me is that you can't see the Eryth sea here, while it's right on top of the tree. Ah well.

That's about where I gave up trying to understand how the gravity works in relation to the Bionis.

wsippel

Banned
Antagon said:
I've done 70k Monado busters, and ridiculous amounts of damage with some AoE attacks as well. Chains really are devastating, really wonder what the total damage for that chain was.
You get an achievement if you exceed 300,000 if I remember correctly. The most devastating combo I ever achieved easily exceeded 500,000 HP.

Antagon

KarmaCow said:
That's about where I gave up trying to understand how the gravity works in relation to the Bionis.

Gravity is pretty clear, it's all straight down. All the areas are on relatively level surfaces on the bionis and the sea seems to be suspended by magic. Fun fact: Colony 6 is located on the Bionis's crotch

MechaX

... I just paid a visit to Daksha Shrine.

My exact thought process:
... Meh. Pretty shitty spiders around here. Oh hey, a red item! But this place is pretty boring; just a couple of pillars and a cliff; wait... are those spider legs? *Boss music starts* HOLY FUUUUU- *Shulk dead*

I definitely hope I am not alone in this experience.

Diablos54

MechaX said:

... Meh. Pretty shitty spiders around here. Oh hey, a red item! But this place is pretty boring; just a couple of pillars and a cliff; wait... are those spider legs? *Boss music starts* HOLY FUUUUU- *Shulk dead*

I think most people had the same experience, it was a pretty cool moment.

MechaX said:

Now level up a bit and repeat the process, this time tearing it apart. It's enjoyable!

wsippel

Banned
MechaX said:

You're not. One of the more memorable moments of the game. Wait until you get the quest for the red item in question...

Related, but not really a spoiler: The whole White Spider thing you'll encounter numerous times throughout the game, especially during the endgame, is totally weird. I'm sure there's more to it, or that it has a deeper meaning, but I don't get it.

MechaX said:

Almost pissed my pants the first time that happen.

Top Bottom