• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Antagon

wsippel said:
You're not. One of the more memorable moments of the game. Wait until you get the quest for the red item in question...

Related, but not really a spoiler: The whole White Spider thing you'll encounter numerous times throughout the game, especially during the endgame, is totally weird. I'm sure there's more to it, or that it has a deeper meaning, but I don't get it.

Sidequest marsh spoiler
I'm not at endgame yet so I can't say how it exactly ties in, but at the sidequest in the march where you've got to go to the top of exile fortress they mention that the spiders were the enemies of the giants. Guess that has something to do with it.

Phenomic

Figure this is a good place to ask. I've got potential spoiler questions regarding the skill trees. Read on if you know information about them please.

Does anyone know where to find good detailed information on how to get the 4th and 5th skill trees. I've been looking around and everyone online just seems vague and not 100% on how to unlock these things. I've gotten Melia's 4th tree and I need to get Skulk's because he's about finished leveling all 3. I assume I can't access the 5th set because of how far I am in the game, but 4th should be open game for everyone.

wsippel

Banned
Antagon said:
Sidequest marsh spoiler
I'm not at endgame yet so I can't say how it exactly ties in, but at the sidequest in the march where you've got to go to the top of exile fortress they mention that the spiders were the enemies of the giants. Guess that has something to do with it.
Yes, I got that part. And even more, considering I finished the game and most of the endgame. It's just... That part of the background story is very elaborate, but seems to lead nowhere - unless I missed something important. Either way, it's lore, and I really appreciate it's existence. Helps to make the world feel even more alive.

Lore spoiler, nothing about the actual game storyline:
It seems the White Spiders caused the extinction of the giants millenia ago, after the Soothsayer died. Why did they wipe out the giants, but not the Homs, Nopon or High Entia? It seems they ruled over Bionis for some time, then basically vanished for some unknown reason. Are the giant spiders now dwelling in caves even White Spiders? Or are they some much weaker (and presumably far less intelligent) bastard offspring?

Alrus

MechaX said:
... I just paid a visit to Daksha Shrine.

My exact thought process:
... Meh. Pretty shitty spiders around here. Oh hey, a red item! But this place is pretty boring; just a couple of pillars and a cliff; wait... are those spider legs? *Boss music starts* HOLY FUUUUU- *Shulk dead*

I definitely hope I am not alone in this experience.

I knew about that part due to some japanese promo video showing it and it still freaked me out. The sidequest related is great by the way
When you place the mirror onto the shrine on top of Exile Forest, I was like "yeah I'm sure there's gonna be a spider jumping on me or something", then there's THREE of them... I really hate spiders >.<

wsippel

Banned
Alrus said:
I knew about that part due to some japanese promo video showing it and it still freaked me out. The sidequest related is great by the way
When you place the mirror onto the shrine on top of Exile Forest, I was like "yeah I'm sure there's gonna be a spider jumping on me or something", then there's THREE of them... I really hate spiders >.<
And when you come back during the endgame, you'll meet the queen.

Antagon

wsippel said:
And when you come back during the endgame, you'll meet the queen.

She's there right after you fought those earlier spiders. Got killed by them (they cheated, knocked Sharla off of the fortress), went back a bit later for revenge and saw no spider. Until I ran over to the altar and saw a spider leg coming over the edge and a red icon above it.

Location / storyline spoiler, about 60 hours in for me but most seem to get there earlier:

Was let down by sword valley. I knew that it looked somewhat boring from the intro, but hoped that was only a small part of it and the rest would be more exciting. But no, the whole area was boring. Was kinda affraid that these boring environments would continue, but luckilly the fallen hand / arm after that was amazing again.

Dizzy-4U

My copy shipped a few days ago. Oh man, this waiting is killing me.

Anyways, for those who are new to Dolphin, I have a little tip that I use with some rpgs (specially Tales of Symphonia) that works with any game.

You need to do this:

1) Download Joy2Key: http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey English Version.htm

2) Find a button that is not used in the game and assign the "TAB" key to that button.

3) That's it!

What this does is while you're in game, if you hold that button, the framerate is unlocked, speeding up the game x2 or more. Kinda like the speedup button in Chrono Cross or FFXII International. Release the button and the framerate goes back to normal.

I'm now beginning gem crafting in the hope it'll give me what I need to actually hit the super bosses.
I used up 3 rare green crystals with agility plus at 43%, took Sharla and Shulk, got a Fever effect, the craft went into Megaheat...and I ended up with 2 Agility VI 50 gems...just perfect :D

Now I need to repeat that process one more time with Agility, and a bunch of times on other effects as well.
Gem crafting is really about luck, you can choose some parameters but ultimately, I don't see a sure way to obtain what you want at all times. But oh well, it's only a matter of saving and reloading.

On another note, got a total of 250 Affinity Coins minus the ones from super bosses, but there's so much I want to link that would help me against them :( If we get one more coin per unique in a new game +, maybe it's better to wait until then but with all the new releases coming, I don't think I'll have the time to refinish the game one more time. So I hope 250 will be enough.

Reveirg

Well I must be completely dumb but I can't for the love of god find HAND BUNNITS for the last monster quest I have left in Colony 9... >_>

Luigiv

Reveirg said:
Well I must be completely dumb but I can't for the love of god find HAND BUNNITS for the last monster quest I have left in Colony 9... >_>
Hand Bunnits are found on the path to Tephra Cave, I think.

Vamphuntr

This game has way too many quests ugh. I think I will refer to these as thrash quests. I'm not even doing half of those. To gain level and good items I tend to find the unique monsters (those with a name) and beat them up.

Luigiv

DMPrince said:
how do i go about inserting this code if i'm playing from my HDD + Wii?
Depending on which USB loader you're using, you might be able to find ocarina under settings for each individual game. I know USB Loader GX has it.

JumpingTheGun said:
Where the fuck are Maker Bunnits, please.
North of the Gaur Plains.

Leeness

The_Technomancer said:
Fuck...its taunting me...sitting here unopened...but I don't have access to my Wii until Monday...

High five. I can start tomorrow night at like...9pm. Still gotta mod my Wii, too.

Then I work all Monday and Tuesday morning... but Tuesday afternoon is the first time I'll be able to really dig into the game.

EXCITED.

LProtag

So I'm trying to think back, is it commonly agreed to switch out Reyn for
Dunban
once that character becomes available? Seems to have aggro/toppling skills, which is what I was using Reyn for.

Minor spoiler because it's pretty obvious early on that that character is joining you but, I'll err on the side of caution.

Reveirg

Is the part when you're asked if you want to go to
Valak Mountains
the point of no return for
Alcamoth
quests?

udivision said:
Is it really?
Getting the attention it deserves, I mean.

i've yet to see someone who has played it disliking it.
Sales in europe are good

AND i'm talking about this game at all my rpgs friends ( or not ) to make them intrested .

i think this game deserve IT

Gvaz

Banned
I like how if you have reyn and shulk and
dunban
every now and then he's like "Tighten up your act!" or something, and both say at exactly the same time "YES SIR!"

Varion

No more new quests! Done the maximum that can be done in a playthrough, ticked them all off on the wiki and ended up with a grand total of 423 excluding story quests.

My God. Now I've just got to:
- Get the rest of the arts manuals.
- Finish grinding hearts for everyone.
- See all the Heart-to-Hearts.
- Finish learning everyone's skills (one certain individual is miles behind for some reason)
- Uniques uniques uniques
- Finish off the last remaining play awards.
- Actually finish the game.

Already up to 162:08 playtime.

Reveirg said:
Is the part when you're asked if you want to go to
Valak Mountains
the point of no return for
Alcamoth
quests?
No, it's still not for a while.

Varion said:
No more new quests! Done the maximum that can be done in a playthrough, ticked them all off on the wiki and ended up with a grand total of 423 excluding story quests.

- Finish learning everyone's skills (one certain individual is miles behind for some reason)

What wiki? Is it spolier free?

nabbed a copy of this off a friend, got it working on the wii.

Really fantastic game so far. I've sunk 11 hours in and I'm only onto the Bionis leg section (though I am a compulsive finish absolutely everything before moving on kind of person). My only main complaint: What the fuck kind of a name for a protagonist is Shulk?

MechaX said:
... I just paid a visit to Daksha Shrine.

My exact thought process:
... Meh. Pretty shitty spiders around here. Oh hey, a red item! But this place is pretty boring; just a couple of pillars and a cliff; wait... are those spider legs? *Boss music starts* HOLY FUUUUU- *Shulk dead*

I definitely hope I am not alone in this experience.
The most intense battle I had so far.

The fucking bitch kept using Artes III, over and over again. Poor Reyn.

Phenomic

Varion said:

My god I need to count the number I've done. I would love to have done all the possible quests in a play through, but I doubt it would happen.

How much longer do I have story wise? My location:
Mechonis Field

flyover

I'm bailing out of this thread until I finish the game. I don't even want to see any more small, accidental spoilers. But I just want it to say that, six hours in, it's exactly what I was hoping it would be. That rare kind of game where I may take a couple of vacation days off work to finish, because I don't want to do anything else.

Varion

Phenomic said:
My god I need to count the number I've done. I would love to have done all the possible quests in a play through, but I doubt it would happen.

How much longer do I have story wise? My location: (L55ish area)
Mechonis Field
How much longer of the story?
Decent amount still, you're maybe 70% of the way in?
How much longer before the point of no return on most timed quests?
Not all that long, you should probably be starting to get on top of them now if you want to have any hope of doing them all. Especially the ones in the area you're in, the last couple of areas and the next few.

It's pretty hard to not miss any at all if you're not using guides though. Even if you do every one you've got in your list there's still a chance you'll let one NPC slip, or you'll miss one that needs something from one of the missable areas and is therefore missable in itself... Probably just best not to worry about it. I don't believe any of the really important ones that give you skill lines etc are missable.

Hiltz

This game is seriously unhealthy. It's that same addiction I felt with Monster Hunter. I had to make up an excuse to get away from playing Xenoblade for an hour by washing, waxing, and cleaning out the interior of my car.

Varion said:

Oh, you've now played more than me. I'm at 160:18 (although I spent a LOT of time reloading the game for drops and monsters)

There are still quests I don't have, I'm at 420 excluding story quests but right now I'm into gem crafting.

1) Need to grind AP to max each art (got all books)
2) Need to grind SP for the last skills (only very few left)
3) Need to kill the 4 super bosses (shoud've beaten the other uniques, 250 affinity coins)
4) Gem craft quite a bit to boost up my gear against those super bosses (now I know quite good how it works so that won't take long)
5) Records achievements to complete if I feel like it
6) Find the remaining quests

In no particuliar order.

Although I'm wondering if only 250 Affinity coins is enough to get everything valuable against very high level bosses :/ It would be easier to down them in NG+ but I probably won't do a second playthrough anytime soon...

Mojojo

I am level 71, very advanced story-wise, I want to wrap up quests in some areas and with colony 6 before the 'events'.. And that's my problem I need some dark hox stuff and it's level 76.. How I am supposed to kill them?.. Do I have no other choice than grinding? I haven't found someone to trade that item with.. .. Oh and I still don't know what -area spoiler-
the perfect Ice flower in Valak flower is for
. -quest spoiler-
and where is the third giant stone for the door at the 3 sages summit?

Top Bottom