• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

McNum

Duki said:
well yeah obviously i could do that

but i want his head for what hes done to me
This is the "You don't need to fight every enemy" tutorial. Come back later an one-shot the thing.

BluWacky

PumpkinPie said:
The shops are totally pointless for equipment in this game, I haven't come across anything that is better than the gear I've found in the wild. I'm at Gaur Plains and I've already got like 400k from selling spare equipment.

Really? I have completely the opposite issue - I find all the items I get from sidequests to be totally underpowered compared to the stuff I get in shops, so I just sell all the useless stuff I've picked up along the way.

Possibly a little burnt out on sidequests at the moment and haven't even started tackling the ones from (location spoiler)
the High Entia city, can't remember its name
. On my way to
Valak Mountain when I move the plot along, but got distracted by rebuilding a bridge and Lupa's Mystic Ruins sidequests.

Duki said:
how the fuck do i kill this bugworm dick in like the first cave of the game

it says hes level 10 but hes whooping my ass even though im higher :(

son of a bitch poisons me and it lasts fuckin forever

and its such a pain clearing his friends around him before fighting him every time you die smh

Yeah, that fucker killed me four times. I just ignored him after that. Probably gonna head back later in the game and shove the Monado down his throat. >:V

weeaboo

PumpkinPie said:
The shops are totally pointless for equipment in this game, I haven't come across anything that is better than the gear I've found in the wild. I'm at Gaur Plains and I've already got like 400k from selling spare equipment.

Skill books man, in this game you should use the shops and the money to buy skills books

Frillen

Luigiv said:
Which AI? Party member AI? Because in that case, they seem to attack using some sort of pre-programmed strategy. There is some randomness, of course, but generally they'll behave in a manner that makes sense in the context of the fight. Eg, If you inflict an enemy with break using Shulk, Reyn will usually use a toppling art if he can.

That doesn't happen nearly as much as I'd like though.

I think I've missed a heart to heart or two...(endgame spoilers)
The Alocomoth ones. I can't get to the garden or Throne room because the transporters are broken and quick travel is disabled. A door opened up with a switch to the generator...only for it to say it doesn't work *sigh*

Anasui Kishibe said:
a question relating gifts: how many do I have to trade to improve affinity? I'm giving Sharla a lot of peppery stuff (from Shulk) and she likes it very much (two hearts). Maybe my pepperish stuff isn't enough?
Its hidden numbers stuff: Kizuna: 0 to 999, green: 1000 to 1999, blue: 2000-2999, Purple: 3000-4999, Pink: 5000.

I think 2 hearts is anywhere between 11(?)-20* (the game gives specific numbers for each one). Heart to hearts btw go, +300 for ending, +50 for good choice and -50 for bad choice so can be a good source of free 400 points. As for in battle I assume that you get +10 for chain attacks, +20 for encouragement and +10 or +30 for burst affinity (depending on timing).

*-1 heart should be up to 10, including it.

You can see how far you are using Gem crafting. At the purple phase it goes something like 7-11, 7-12, 8-12 etc...I'd assume you can use that as a meter and it increases linearly.

Now NPC and area affinities use a completely different set of hidden numbers.

Btw, Of those 480 quests you said, does that include alternate paths (i.e. in a playthrough your max is might be about 440).

Mojojo said:
big story spoilers abridged to the bit I might be able to answer
so i am unsure about the status of Alcamoth denizens (the half-bloods anyway :p)
They escape. You can find them at the Ether Plant of Eryth sea (e.g. the twins), Frontier Village (e.g. the old man), the Tower on the Ice mountain (e.g.g the blundering adventurers) and a few went to the swamp too...affinity tree-wise you'll obviously have some gaps.

As for your previous question the third of the (sidequest line)
Giants treasures
(where)
is found in a new area of tephra cave which opens up during the endgame events. You'll need to have levels at least in the high 80s maybe even early 90s to have any hope of finishing up all the quests for it...

can anyone explain gem crafting to me? is it as easy as i think or is there a way to make a lvl 2 gem out out of lvl 1 stuff?

or is is just, collect stuff, put as many in until you reach 100% for something, craft get that gem.

Zornica

Banned
Starwolf_UK said:
The Alocomoth ones. I can't get to the garden or Throne room because the transporters are broken and quick travel is disabled. A door opened up with a switch to the generator...only for it to say it doesn't work *sigh*

lvl80+ spoiler
there is a questchain starting in frontiervillage for that. something about killing 5 aora telethias
~6pm, groundfloot (2nd level) at the tree entrance

ymmv

Banned
Diprosalic said:
can anyone explain gem crafting to me? is it as easy as i think or is there a way to make a lvl 2 gem out out of lvl 1 stuff?

or is is just, collect stuff, put as many in until you reach 100% for something, craft get that gem.

If you combine enough materials you can get to 100% and make a gem with the same level as the materials. But if if you combine two items worth about 85-90% you can make a level 2 item because the crafting process will raise the percentage to 200% during the crafting process

The way to create items worth 85-90% is to not only focus on the gems but on the byproduct, the cylinders. If you make a gem, you can pick a quality that didn't make it into a gem and turn it into a cylinder you can use again. Focus on making 85-90% cylinders you can combine into a higher level gem.

Durante

Is there a more reliable in-game way to tell how long a side quest would be available? It's useful to know that it will end at some point, but a bit more precision would be nice.

McNum said:
This is the "You don't need to fight every enemy" tutorial. Come back later an one-shot the thing.
Heh, I killed him, that was probably the hardest fight in the game so far.

(I also killed all the Mechon before getting the Monado, in retrospect that was quite useless)

Diprosalic said:

If a crystal/capsule reaches 200% during the crafting process it'll go into Heat mode and rank up one level. If it goes to an even higher level (I'm assuming 300% but the game doesn't explicitly show you) then it'll go into Mega Heat, where you'll get 2 gems and both will give the highest bonusl for that rank.

Think about how you are combining stuff because as soon as an attribute goes over 100% you can't add anymore. So for example you have 4 crystals with strength up, one at 80 and three at 22. If you start by combining the 80 with a 22 you'll get 102 and have to start crafting. However if you combine the three 22s first you'll have 66, then adding the 80 you'll have a starting score of 146 and a better chance of getting a better gem at the end.

mclem

53 hours in, taking a break to charge my batteries. There's an in-game battery charge warning, which is nice.

Just completed a massive sidequest which - despite the size of it - was mainly talky stuff rather than direct monster killing. That was a nice touch. Explicit spoiler: It's the
red pollen orb black market
chain. As far as I'm aware, it's completely optional, but added so much to the world.

extralite

Second said:
WTF at the FFXII haters. The game is a masterpiece.

I'd say both FFXII and Xenoblade are equally good. But I think I'd still prefer FFXII in the end. The game is magic.

The only thing that Xenoblade does better are the environments.
I like how XB gives you actually stuff to do during the battles.

I didn't like FFXII much and I agree that XB succeeds in taking the good things about FFXII and improving on them. Same could be said about TLS which takes other things from FFXII and improves on those.

The important bit is that FFXII was very influential. For me it was a weak entry into the FF series but it had very good concepts which later games built on. Even FFXIII takes some cues from it (like visible enemies and AI-based battle system) but interprets them very differently.

Same with XB and TLS although they both more closely resemble FFXII. FFXIII only takes a few concepts and tries to show that they work better as a typical FF. Because that's what FFXII was not. It felt alien.

Starwolf_UK said:
Btw, Of those 480 quests you said, does that include alternate paths (i.e. in a playthrough your max is might be about 440).
Yes, 480 minus 31 story quests, minus alternate paths, and there are more or less 423 quests that can be done in one playthrough.

Gvaz

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
That's a dangerous thing to say in this thread.
He's right. FF12 is alright but compared to xenoblade pretty much every jrpg is a child hiding behind his mother's skirt while Xenoblade is the guy that flirts with her and you just know they're gonna do the nasty in 6 hours.

>:D

Oxx

I just hit the 20 hour point. It's usually make-or-break time for me and RPGs, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to play a lot more of this.

Nice to see some lush vegetation again after the subdued palette of the previous area.

Gvaz said:
He's right. FF12 is alright but compared to xenoblade pretty much every jrpg is a child hiding behind his mother's skirt while Xenoblade is the guy that flirts with her and you just know they're gonna do the nasty in 6 hours.

>:D

reverse-227839420.gif

I played for about 12 or 13 hours yesterday. About to do the same startinggggggg....now

Luigiv

Durante said:
Is there a more reliable in-game way to tell how long a side quest would be available? It's useful to know that it will end at some point, but a bit more precision would be nice.
Not really, though I believe timed quests are story progress deadlined not real-time deadlined, so as long as you prioritise timed quests over story progression you should have all the time in the world to do them.

Starwolf_UK said:

Its hidden numbers stuff: Kizuna: 0 to 999, green: 1000 to 1999, blue: 2000-2999, Purple: 3000-4999, Pink: 5000.

I think 2 hearts is anywhere between 11(?)-20* (the game gives specific numbers for each one). Heart to hearts btw go, +300 for ending, +50 for good choice and -50 for bad choice so can be a good source of free 400 points. As for in battle I assume that you get +10 for chain attacks, +20 for encouragement and +10 or +30 for burst affinity (depending on timing).

*-1 heart should be up to 10, including it.

You can see how far you are using Gem crafting. At the purple phase it goes something like 7-11, 7-12, 8-12 etc...I'd assume you can use that as a meter and it increases linearly.

Now NPC and area affinities use a completely different set of hidden numbers.

:0 thanks very much, there's still lots to learn from this game

Hazanko

Banned
I didn't like FF12. I wanted to and Xenoblade is kind of similar but I just felt bored with FF12. I just couldn't bring myself to completing it. Xenoblade is a lot more fun. It's kinda like a prostitute on a Sunday, so much to do with very little time before church.

Zornica said:
lvl80+ spoiler
there is a questchain starting in frontiervillage for that. something about killing 5 aora telethias
~6pm, groundfloot (2nd level) at the tree entrance

That was there before I reached Lv70.

Dascu

Just finished up the massive Red Pollen Orb quest. Damn, that was cool. The fight against
Bana was rather tough. I was lvl 75, Bana was lvl 79 (yellow name). My party was Dunban/Sharla/Melia, but I kept dying. Eventually switched in Shulk instead of Melia and put a few Sleep Resist gems on him. Managed to kill him off, but it was still close. The reward is more than worth it though: Haste VI, EXP Plus VI and... something something V or VI.

Lesson learned? Never trust a Nopon.

Phenomic

I've got a unique monster question.

Anyone know why certain times unique monsters won't spawn despite it being the right conditions? This certain one I killed in the game once before. That was probably 30 hours ago from where I'm at now. Now I have a quest for it, but it's not here. Is there anywhere to trigger a respawn?

Zornica

Banned
Lord Ghirahim said:
That was there before I reached Lv70.

if you really want to kill lvl 90 enemies with lvl 70 or below... just go ahead and have fun (which you probably wont have. even 5 or 6 lvl´s below they are a real pain in the ass)

Phenomic said:
I've got a unique monster question.

Anyone know why certain times unique monsters won't spawn despite it being the right conditions? This certain one I killed in the game once before. That was probably 30 hours ago from where I'm at now. Now I have a quest for it, but it's not here. Is there anywhere to trigger a respawn?
Save right next to where it might spawn and reload that save until it spawns.

wsippel

Banned
Zornica said:
if you really want to kill lvl 90 enemies with lvl 70 or below... just go ahead and have fun (which you probably wont have. even 5 or 6 lvl´s below they are a real pain in the ass)
Well, Abaasy will always be 21 levels above you no matter what, and he's a named mob - and it's still possible to defeat him. Incredibly heard, though...

Netto-kun

Zornica said:
<insert Youtube link of a Japanese player thrashing level 98 monster with his level 40 party>

Dascu

wsippel said:
Well, Abaasy will always be 21 levels above you no matter what, and he's a named mob - and it's still possible to defeat him. Incredibly heard, though...
So is that the strongest foe in the game?

wsippel

Banned
Dascu said:
So is that the strongest foe in the game?
Yes. He's the most powerful of the Elite Five. I only managed to beat the first one (Final Marcus at Three Sage Summit, Valak Mountain: level 100).

The other four are:
- Ancient Daedala at Wreckage Beach, Fallen Arm: level 104
- Despotic Arsene at Glowing Obelisk, Satorl March: level 108
- Blizzard Belgazas at Great Glacier, Valak Mountain: level 114
- Avalanche Abaasy at Three Sage Summit, Valak Mountain: level 120

Zornica

Banned
wsippel said:

i never said it was impossible to beat those lvl 90 creatures at lvl 70. but why would you want to? just gain some lvls with other quests and return when you are ready a few hours later. i dont get why this is such a big deal for you guys.

Sadist

Okay, somebody help me out:

Only for people who reached the end.

I'm fighting the Kallian/Minister Chick Tellethia and I can't beat it. She pushes me in the water and I can't destroy the elemental defense surrounding her. What to do?

Sadist said:
Okay, somebody help me out:

Only for people who reached the end.

I'm fighting the Kallian/Minister Chick Tellethia and I can't beat it. She pushes me in the water and I can't destroy the elemental defense surrounding her. What to do?

Don't use
physical attacks
. You may have to manage your artes before going to battle.

MicH said:
Have you watched the Let's Play Xenoblade Chronicles video about gemcrafting? It explains it really good, I think. You can watch it here: http://youtu.be/ZbnARvrmYBY

Yeah, I should watch that. Haven't really done much gem crafting yet and I just filled my inventory of crystals.

Been living and breathing this game the past couple of days. 25 hours in and just got to
Alcamoth. Nice to see a sleek, sterile futuristic environment, since this is a Xeno game after all! Makes a cool contrast with the earlier areas.

Sadist said:
Ah okay, what would be a good party combo then?

Melia, Sharla and...? I'm really at a loss here:p

I used
Shulk, Fiora and Riki
, there are probably better combos. I was 5 levels below the boss.

Sadist said:
Ah okay, what would be a good party combo then?

Melia, Sharla and...? I'm really at a loss here:p

Well I was under leveled slightly for the fight
and after initially failing with mu usual Shulk, Dunban and Melia setup I went with Shulk, Riki and Reyn. Team health endurance worked out rather well in the end, even if I had to venture into the green gunk to rescue Riki and Reyn's idiotic corpses.
Probably one of the worst battles in the game, a boss so big that merely turning can push you into the drink, a host of summoned supports that initiate super lag time and of course the CPU deciding that fighting in the vat of poisonous ooze is an acceptable game plan.

Dascu

Lord Ghirahim said:
Don't use
physical attacks
. You may have to manage your artes before going to battle.
Once the minions (or at least some of them) are dead, you can go wild with physical attacks on the main boss though. I used Dunban/Melia/Sharla, at around lvl73.

Top Bottom