• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

faridmon

I prefare the Wiimote +Nunchuck over a 360 controller for the Wii games. Too bad, from the response in this thread, i may be the only one.

Gvaz

Banned
epmode said:
And this is why I can't bring myself to play the game. It looks SO MUCH BETTER than it does on the Wii but my persistent audio glitches keep me from playing it on Dolphin. I really need to figure this out, sigh.
Even on badass systems you'll still get audio glitching from time to time. Deal with it.

faridmon said:
I prefare the Wiimote +Nunchuck over a 360 controller for the Wii games. Too bad, from the response in this thread, i may be the only one.

Maybe if Xenoblade did some sort of motion gimmick crap, but it doesn't. A controller is really the way to go with pretty much all games unless it forces you to do otherwise.

Screenshot time! Sorry for big if it bothers anyone I'll link em later...

sx4p01-18iucl.jpg

sx4p01-19qubx.jpg

Billen

Banned
AzureSky said:
360 is really the controller you need. There is not much negative to say about it. Its not too expensive and is probably the best supported controller if you want to use it for windows gaming.

Ok. I have been using a connected PS3 controller, which works fine, but my son has claimed the solution as his own since he plays more games that need it. Unwilling to strip the PS3 of yet another controller, and of course unwilling to stand in the way of my sons gamer-evolution, I now need another controller. :D

Mael

Yeah you're not alone in ditching the handcuffs for the game.
Seriously it's the most relaxing rpg to play this side of Earthbound (1 hand control).
Seriously considering I can't move and select arts at the same time rule out the other options.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mael said:
Yeah you're not alone in ditching the handcuffs for the game.
Seriously it's the most relaxing rpg to play this side of Earthbound (1 hand control).
Seriously considering I can't move and select arts at the same time rule out the other options.

Is this a problem with CC Pro?

Mael

Laughing Banana said:
Is this a problem with CC Pro?
Select art is on the dpad and move is the left analog, try and tell me it's easy to do both at the same time.
and I play MH on psp!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mael said:
Select art is on the dpad and move is the left analog, try and tell me it's easy to do both at the same time.
and I play MH on psp!

Hmmm. It seems like this problem is more cumbersome and troubling than the occasional (well, quite often to be honest) camera problems with Wiimote+Nunchuk setup.

Mael

Laughing Banana said:
Hmmm. It seems like this problem is more cumbersome and troubling than the occasional (well, quite often to be honest) camera problems with Wiimote+Nunchuk setup.

Well yeah and since the setup is similar on all traditional controllers, 360 pads or ps3 DS won't change a thing here.

PetrCobra

When I want to move and select arts at the same time, I'm selecting the arts with my right hand. Not too comfortable, sure... but I don't feel the need to do it too often. Maybe I would prefer the wiimote + nunchak setup despite the fact that there is no second analog to control the camera but I didn't try

Mistle

Does anybody else's Classic Controller's (pro or not) d-pad occasionally "stick", and the direction you press goes into a fast, short spurt? Like turbo mode- the game thinks your pressing it extremely fast over and over. The dpad doesn't literally stick, but the game thinks it has. It only lasts a second, if that.

I ask this because it has been happening on both my classic controllers, and it gets a bit annoying.

Mael

PetrCobra said:
When I want to move and select arts at the same time, I'm selecting the arts with my right hand. Not too comfortable, sure... but I don't feel the need to do it too often. Maybe I would prefer the wiimote + nunchak setup despite the fact that there is no second analog to control the camera but I didn't try
And then you need to move again your hand to validate your choice....
Seriously if I want to get my hands in a twist I play MHUnite at least I don't have to stay in front of my tv for that.

Ydahs

Any other Australians or Zavvi/TheHut buyers in general not yet receive their copy? Just to make me feel a bit less uneasy. 20 days, only FFXIII took this long to import.

Mistle said:
Does anybody else's Classic Controller's (pro or not) d-pad occasionally "stick", and the direction you press goes into a fast, short spurt? Like turbo mode- the game thinks your pressing it extremely fast over and over. The dpad doesn't literally stick, but the game thinks it has. It only lasts a second, if that.

I ask this because it has been happening on both my classic controllers, and it gets a bit annoying.
Nothing here on my end. It could be a Wii-mote issue. Try Wii-mote/Chuck and see what happens when you use the d-pad on it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I actually have no problem selecting arts while moving on the 360 controller. I imagine it would be rough on a CC Pro, though. Unlike the CC Pro, the d-pad on the 360 controller is within pretty easy reach of the right stick, which is where my right thumb usually is if it's not actively inputting a command, so it's not terribly difficult to switch arts on the fly.

And, honestly, selecting arts while moving isn't really all that important anyway. The only time I really do it is when I'm first running up to an enemy and selecting an attack. Otherwise, while in battle, it's usually a lot smarter to move over to what you're thinking of using for your next attack while your character is still executing his current attack, that way by the time your attack is over you can just move into position for the next attack with it already selected. It's more efficient this way anyway.

Mael

MetatronM said:
I actually have no problem selecting arts while moving on the 360 controller. I imagine it would be rough on a CC Pro, though. The d-pad is within pretty easy reach of the right stick on the 360 controller (unlike the CC Pro), so it's not terribly difficult to switch arts on the fly.

And, honestly, selecting arts while moving isn't really all that important anyway. The only time I really do it is when I'm first running up to an enemy and selecting an attack. Otherwise, while in battle, it's usually a lot smarter to move over to what you're thinking of using for your next attack while your character is still executing his current attack, that way by the time your attack is over you can just move into position for the next attack with it already selected. It's more efficient this way anyway.
And that's still easier to do with mote.
Seriously even menu navigation is cumbersome as it is on the other option.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I find the camera controls FAR more cumbersome on the Wiimote+Nunchuk controls, and considering I control the camera pretty much constantly outside of battle (and even sometimes while in battle) whereas I almost never even have a need to change arts on the run, the choice between the two isn't even a contest.

MicH

I absolute have those "find the..." quests. I now gave to find a blue glass bead and some evidence that Leopods girlfriend used him. WHERE am I supposed to look? :( I've looked everywhere but nothing. Are they blue orbs? Anyone have any idea?

Also: Dynamite in ether mine. Where do I get it?

Thanks!

Octagon

I wouldn't recommened play.com as they ship from the Channel Islands and that might result in custom fees if you are living in Europe.

MetatronM said:
I find the camera controls FAR more cumbersome on the Wiimote+Nunchuk controls, and considering I control the camera pretty much constantly outside of battle (and even sometimes while in battle) whereas I almost never even have a need to change arts on the run, the choice between the two isn't even a contest.
Totally agree. With certain party members, moving around and selecting arts isn't *that* important, and I absolutely need right stick camera controls. It was only mildly annoying to select arts and move while playing with Shulk.

CCPro is by far my favorite method of control.

MicH said:
I absolute have those "find the..." quests. I now gave to find a blue glass bead and some evidence that Leopods girlfriend used him. WHERE am I supposed to look? :( I've looked everywhere but nothing. Are they blue orbs? Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
The dynamite are three red orbs and they are marked on the map with an exclamation mark. It's not hard to find.

Laughing Banana said:
Is it worth to purchase a new CC Pro for Wii for this game? Any great advantage CC Pro has over the Wiimote+Nunchuk? I've been playing for 50 hours, more or less, and I've been quite miffed about the camera controls... but if that is what CC Pro only has over the Wiimote+Nunchuk, it seems like a waste of money to buy one.

yes. i find the control layout much better on the CC; takes one minute to memorize it but it works better than the 'mote, in my opinion

MicH

slaughterking said:
The dynamite are three red orbs and they are marked on the map with an exclamation mark. It's not hard to find.
Thanks, just wanted to know before I ventured into that mine again. I hate it so much. Thanks!

Luigiv

MicH said:

Thanks!
Search quests should be red orbs. Blue orb collectables fall under collection quests.

Carlisle

Ydahs said:
Any other Australians or Zavvi/TheHut buyers in general not yet receive their copy? Just to make me feel a bit less uneasy. 20 days, only FFXIII took this long to import.
American The Hut buyer here. Got my "please review this game" email late last week but still no dice. Maybe customs is being a pain on this one. I'd be more worried if the last thing I imported across int'l borders didn't also take a really long time to arrive (after the "please review this product" email then as well). I really expect to have it by the end of this week though.

In the meantime Deus Ex and FFXII International on PCSX2 occupy my time.

PetrCobra

Mael said:
And that's still easier to do with mote.
Seriously even menu navigation is cumbersome as it is on the other option.
Do you select menu options with the pointer? That might probably convince me to try it and see if I really need to adjust the camera as much as I do when using CC Pro

Oxx

It would have been much easier if you could switch between arts using the shoulder buttons.

Most of the time I end up just standing still and queuing-up attacks.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Anasui Kishibe said:
yes. i find the control layout much better on the CC; takes one minute to memorize it but it works better than the 'mote, in my opinion
If there was an option to switch arts and navigate the menu with L and R buttons, I would agree, but no movement while changing arts and no movement while navigating menus makes the CC Pro a worse choice than the Wiimote+Nunchuck...

Also, separated hands>>non separated...

W+N for me.

Sooo, I was recently in America and bought me a cheap wii. (Why pay 15000 yen for a wii when you can pay $150...) Actually, I bought it so me and my sis can Play Monster Hunter Tri together.

I'm itching to play Xenoblade.. but I don't wanna wait for shipping to Japan when I can just walk into a store here and pick up the jp version. It seems like most of those online stores are also sold out =x Anyone played the jp version?

MicH said:
I absolute have those "find the..." quests. I now gave to find a blue glass bead and some evidence that Leopods girlfriend used him. WHERE am I supposed to look? :( I've looked everywhere but nothing. Are they blue orbs?
That one is simple enough
I went down the route of asking her and she told me when it was. She threw it off the central brdige place. So go the landmark south of the military district, jump into the water (there is a gap on the bridge by the rediential district and swim back to it.

They are Red Orbs. What I hate is half the time you can find such things before finidng the quest about them but other times you can only find them during the quest.

InternHertz said:
Fucking epic battle, and strangely soooooo easy with the right gems, skills and more importantly strategy. I'm so happy :D
I like it when such things are winnable with thought out tactics (one of the reasons I like the FFV superbosses so much). Speaking of which the level
unique is a total pushoever using this tactic
Topple up VI gems to make that characters inflicted topple last 6 seconds (might be possible with less but safety nets are good), lead with Dunban, have Ryen as a second party member. Start battle order AI to focus on the L108 guy, switch targets to one of the enemies running about. Kill with Demon Slayer to topple the L108 guy, then use Dunbans toppling move (toppling an enemy while they are toppled extends the time they stasy down for), AI Ryen will proably use his. Use toppling moves in chain attacks and in the words of Ryen "Never stood a chance" or to be brief "Never Stood"

McNum

Man said:
So I should buy this?

I don't know anything except there's a major positive buzz. I should go in clean.
Yes. Well, if you like JRPGs and what to play what's a good contender the best JRPG of the generation.

Stay blind, though. Do not highlight any spoilers in this topic, as the game is much more interesting when you go in blind.

Mael

PetrCobra said:
Do you select menu options with the pointer? That might probably convince me to try it and see if I really need to adjust the camera as much as I do when using CC Pro
nope, you never use the pointer or else nobody would be able to play with CC or 360 pad with any efficiency.
I didn't play long with a certain early character, the joke character and maybe reyn (since I've always seen him as secondary anyway) and that's probably the only one where I wouldn't need to change arts every goddamn seconds.
Heck I usually forget about the auto attack most of the time (which are really not that efficient).
so having to stop moving every second because I can't move and select what I want is gamebreaking for me.
You can always recenter the camera and most of the time you don't miss much by not twirling the camera all the time (coming from someone who did just that in Shining Force 3 of all games).

Anyway the time traveler said it better anyway.

Muskweeto

This may have been answered somewhere in this thread but I don't want to read through the whole thing.
What problems might I have if I bought a European Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles and played it in the USA?
I know I need an adapter to plug it into the wall, but are there any other concerns? Do I need an actual power converter for PAL or does the power brick take care of that? Will it work on my TV?
Is it simply too much trouble and I should forget about it?
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never bought a PAL device and have know Idea what problems may arise.
Thanks in advance.

Starwolf_UK said:
I like it when such things are winnable with thought out tactics (one of the reasons I like the FFV superbosses so much). Speaking of which the level
unique is a total pushoever using this tactic
Topple up VI gems to make that characters inflicted topple last 6 seconds (might be possible with less but safety nets are good), lead with Dunban, have Ryen as a second party member. Start battle order AI to focus on the L108 guy, switch targets to one of the enemies running about. Kill with Demon Slayer to topple the L108 guy, then use Dunbans toppling move (toppling an enemy while they are toppled extends the time they stasy down for), AI Ryen will proably use his. Use toppling moves in chain attacks and in the words of Ryen "Never stood a chance" or to be brief "Never Stood"

I used the same party and getup or even strategy as LV120 on LV108 (different from yours).

On LV105 However I downed him by
switching my Debuff Resist VI 100% gems with Spike Defense VI 75% ones and switching some Low Tension when Incapacitated skills with Spike Defense 20%, bringing the defense to 95% (because I told myself that no one has to die in the fight, so that skill is in fact useless).
Not so tough now that Spike damage doesn't do 1200 damage.

I was playing this in the middle of the night whilst pretty tired, then some amazing shit happened in the storyline and I was so excited, I couldn't sleep after that, my eyes were like O.O

Muskweeto said:
This may have been answered somewhere in this thread but I don't want to read through the whole thing.
What problems might I have if I bought a European Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles and played it in the USA?
I know I need an adapter to plug it into the wall, but are there any other concerns? Do I need an actual power converter for PAL or does the power brick take care of that? Will it work on my TV?
Is it simply too much trouble and I should forget about it?
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never bought a PAL device and have know Idea what problems may arise.
Thanks in advance.
The main problem is why bother as installing homebrew requires some basic reading and takes the best part of 5 minutes (maybe an hour if you go all in for the optional USB loading goodness) and you can force the game to output an NTSC signal (if playing in 480i and/or using an older TV).

Finding PAL hardware that'll ship to America is a pain.

TV-wise you'll have to use component leads (for 480p goodness and bypassing the PAL/NTSC problem) or if you have an older TV you might have to use some sort of converter. Initial menus might be a pain as PAL Wii initial boot is at 576i@25FPS (you want 480i/p for higher framrerate) which could cause signal problems.

Power supply wise. Use a US Wii power brick. The power brick is a voltage converter (all Wiis run at the same voltage). If you use the PAL brick you'll probably need a step up converter or something.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Not sure if this kind of talk is spoilerish, it's pretty early on in the game and no actual plot details you don't know about past the first few hours are mentioned, but I'll tag it anyway since many poor souls still haven't even gotten the game yet:

You know what I really like? The Monado's futuresight powers aren't just some mechanic to get the story going forward, it's actually used in-game to help you win tough enemy fights.

When you get a vision of a killer move ahead of you and you do that one thing to help prevent it and all the other tactics the enemy had laid out and the schematics shatter and fall away one by one. That kind of feeling that you seriously fucked up the monster's plans is an AMAZING sensation.

Also what feels really fresh - ESPECIALLY for a jRPG, in light of so many Square-Enix games that have so many invisible barriers in the levels - you can pretty much walk anywhere. I've already found a few secret locations and monsters I didn't even know existed in the area, and all because the game absolutely rewards exploration. In that regard it's like Mario 64 - you fall somewhere and end up finding some hidden alcove or rickety bridge that leads to another landmark. And you gain experience points for this too, so you can still do this and get ahead in the game without resorting to constant grinding.

Muskweeto

Starwolf_UK said:
The main problem is why bother as installing homebrew requires some basic reading and takes the best part of 5 minutes (maybe an hour if you go all in for the optional USB loading goodness) and you can force the game to output an NTSC signal (if playing in 480i and/or using an older TV).

Finding PAL hardware that'll ship to America is a pain.

TV-wise you'll have to use component leads (for 480p goodness and bypassing the PAL/NTSC problem) or if you have an older TV you might have to use some sort of converter. Initial menus might be a pain as PAL Wii initial boot is at 576i@25FPS (you want 480i/p for higher framrerate) which could cause signal problems.

Power supply wise. Use a US Wii power brick. The power brick is a voltage converter (all Wiis run at the same voltage). If you use the PAL brick you'll probably need a step up converter or something.
So, homebrew can allow me to run the game from the disk with a simple 5 min. hack? Sounds good to me, I'll look into it. Thanks for that.

I'll still wait a bit, I want to be sure there's not going to be a NA version before I do anything.

Yahoo!!

167:06 and every unique is dead !
The last super boss I needed, LV114, just fell 2 minutes ago \o/

Well guess I now just have to find the 3 quests I'm missing ^^ Then I'd be pretty much good, unless I really want to complete the records awards or max out every art/skill, but that can always be done on a future playthrough. It's not as if I needed that to beat some boss, they're all dead =D

Mistle said:

No, but my CC is slightly de-calibrated. It isn't completely straight when pusing up and using the typical Nintendo edge. Thinking about returning it because of that.

Other than that I think it's superior to the wiimote controls. Adjusting the camera is something I do all the time. Switching arts when moving? Hardly.
Also it's just more comfortable for my hands.

schennmu said:
No, but my CC is slightly de-calibrated. It isn't completely straight when pusing up and using the typical Nintendo edge. Thinking about returning it because of that.
I get the same feeling on my CC Pro. I assume its due to my finger positioning (left thumb is to the left of the stick, making it push slightly to the right).

Mael

schennmu said:

Other than that I think it's superior to the wiimote controls. Adjusting the camera is something I do all the time. Switching arts when moving? Hardly.
Also it's just more comfortable for my hands.

Like, nearly, all device from Nintendo using an analog stick you can recenter the stick to any position in gameplay.
I don't remember how you do it on the CC but it's there (X+Y + Start for 3 seconds on the gc controller for example)

Mael said:
Like, nearly, all device from Nintendo using an analog stick you can recenter the stick to any position in gameplay.
I don't remember how you do it on the CC but it's there (X+Y + Start for 3 seconds on the gc controller for example)
Unplug from remote, replug works.

But our problem is different. When pushing up, I'm steering slightly to the right. If my hand was bigger I wouldn't have the problem.

Starwolf_UK said:

But our problem is different. When pushing up, I'm steering slightly to the right. If my hand was bigger I wouldn't have the problem.

Yeah, same for me. I push the stick straight up, but Shulk walks to the right ever so slightly.

Calibration would be great, but google doesn't tell me anything. I've written an email to Nintendo, let's see what they say.

Mael

Starwolf_UK said:

ah.
I know it's in the manual for the CC but that's all.
Also I know that on n64 the standard position got a bit loose so it ended with strange result too.
That's why I thought of that.

Luigiv

manueldelalas said:
If there was an option to switch arts and navigate the menu with L and R buttons, I would agree, but no movement while changing arts and no movement while navigating menus makes the CC Pro a worse choice than the Wiimote+Nunchuck...

Also, separated hands>>non separated...

W+N for me.
Let me introduce you to my good friend, the claw.
PSP_Claw.jpg

Top Bottom