• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Oxx

Lord Ghirahim said:
NoE's incompetence is staggering.

It's not quite as bad as last Christmas where their two biggest Wii games were impossible to find (at least in my neck of the woods).

Plus they kinda botched the Inazuma Eleven release.

But they did release Xenoblade.

gamingeek

Just wanted to know, after E.Sea, are there any other big areas like this? if so how many more?

Also, I just helped you know who in the tomb, I'm level 40, how far am I into the game?

guys, amazon.it has it in stock, and ships internationally (I've tried with a fake NY address). Price is 65-75 dollars depending on your expedition choice (2 days or 10 days). If any Italian Gaffer can confirm the Italian version is multilanguage then you've got another shop to buy from

gamingeek said:
Just wanted to know, after E.Sea, are there any other big areas like this? if so how many more?

Also, I just helped you know who in the tomb, I'm level 40, how far am I into the game?

There are plenty of large areas left. Not sure if anything is quite as large though (That area is pretty huge because of all the water).

I'd say you are past the midway point, maybe around 60%? How long the rest of the game will take depends on how many side quests you decide to do though.

Nintendo's handling of Xenoblade has been... interesting. In Japan, they released it on a dying system that the average RPG player wouldn't touch. I don't think those Watanabe commercials helped. The game underperformed as expected. 15 months later, NoA is acting like the game doesn't exist, and NoE has failed to ship adequate quantities. Some distributors won't be receiving more copies until mid-October.

Anasui Kishibe said:
If any Italian Gaffer can confirm the Italian version is multilanguage then you've got another shop to buy from

There is no reason it wouldn't be the usual "5 IN 1".

MicH

Holy crap, GAME responded to my e-mails! Can't do anything until 28 (working?) days have passed. Christ almighty, that's another two weeks before I can get my refund. It's obviously not going to arrive, if it would, it would have arrived two weeks ago tops.

UltimateIke said:
GAF! Noooooooooo! I was being so patient! What happened??? :'(

My order shipped from Zavvi on August 15, so today is 19 working days later. I emailed them a couple of days ago just to touch base, and this is what I got back!

http://i.imgur.com/0nLqf.png

I don't want a refund. I want Xenoblade. :(
Hm. I'm not particularly familiar with customer relations jargon, but there are a few vague language choices they made. It's possible that they just sent you a form letter and it's not actually "lost" in the mail. They may have just ushered your email into the "asking for a refund" pile even though you clearly didn't. It's also possible that they have no way to track the package and therefore just declare it "lost" because it's easier to deal with that way. Their website does say to contact them after 21 days, and to report an undelivered item after 40 days. So who knows? It could come to you today and all could be swell.

Then again, the email does sound pretty dire. I hope for nothing but the best...

gamingeek

Neon_Icarus said:
There are plenty of large areas left. Not sure if anything is quite as large though (That area is pretty huge because of all the water).

I'd say you are past the midway point, maybe around 60%? How long the rest of the game will take depends on how many side quests you decide to do though.

Thanks. Nice to know that, I was worried that I was near the end.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Man, this game is giving me vibes like no other RPGs has done since decades. Its got everything gameplay wise, even little details like saving anywhere, warp, changing time. Its a big step up from JRPGs.

McNum

Well, well, got the (art spoiler)
Monado Armour now. Is that as powerful as I think it is? -30% damage with an additional 5% for every level added? That ends up at -75% damage for 15 seconds. Give Shulk a lot of Haste and Double Attack gems and he can build up Monado Charge faster than 15 seconds, meaning that some future bosses are going to be somewhat easier.

In my endeavors to get Desiree to give me that quest I want, I'm confused. She's not giving it, but all the quests I'm missing
are finding the equipment of that lost son, the Red Pollen Orb one, and finding 5 ridiculously rare flowers. Do I need one of those for Desiree's skill tree quest? Also, is there an easy way to find those Dawn Hyrgensias, or whatever those flowers are called?

I think I'm pretty much done with the quests for now, if I'm going to get the all, I might do that in the next game, I want to see where the story goes soon. Well, after I get the
Monado Eater art
Gotta have a full set.

Somewhat related, what order do you have your Monado arts in? I'm thinking of reordering them with attacks on one side and buffs on the other, will that end up even?

Diffense

Oxx said:
RPGCrazied must have the record for most posts in an OT without having a copy of the game. He still has more than double the number of posts as the second most prolific poster in here.

I can't believe the most hyped guy still doesn't have his game.
Fate can be cruel.

I'm level 62 now, about
3 hours in and have arrived in A
gniratha
I just had many of the things I'd deduced confirmed so it's a good point to finish up some outstanding quests.

The thing I hate about this game is that I sit to play it for two hours and then 4-6 hours immediately vanish...lol
It's amazing and really brings back memories of pulling all-nighters when games hooked you and were hard to put down.
I can't help but feel annoyed that it won't get the recognition it deserves with two copies being printed for Europe and none for the Americas.

BluWacky

McNum said:
In my endeavors to get Desiree to give me that quest I want, I'm confused. She's not giving it, but all the quests I'm missing
are finding the equipment of that lost son, the Red Pollen Orb one, and finding 5 ridiculously rare flowers. Do I need one of those for Desiree's skill tree quest? Also, is there an easy way to find those Dawn Hyrgensias, or whatever those flowers are called?

Have you definitely done
Jackson's quest line? You have to get him to pick a new career AND help him with a task related to it. I had this done, and Colony 9 at four stars, before she'd give me the quest. I guess it may also depend on how far you are in the story - how far have you got?

Well Im happy the game doing better then NOE was hoping, let see how they do with The Last Story

As for NoA do they really feel a game this good would be hard to sell?

UltimateIke said:

My order shipped from Zavvi on August 15, so today is 19 working days later. I emailed them a couple of days ago just to touch base, and this is what I got back!

Well fuck :( Looks like this is the last time I ever order anything from the Zavvi group.

I don't know why I'm thinking of zavvi not getting enough for day 1 so pretneding to ship them in the guise they would get more in for estimated delivery timeframes to still work. It would explain the inconsistent delivery times (in general for that retailer) and why for some people they appear to be so quick to offer a refund to.

Of course there is no absolute evidence for any of that so I'll refrain from wearing the tin foil any longer.

Lord Ghirahim said:
Nintendo's handling of Xenoblade has been... interesting. In Japan, they released it on a dying system that the average RPG player wouldn't touch. I don't think those Watanabe commercials helped. The game underperformed as expected. 15 months later, NoA is acting like the game doesn't exist, and NoE has failed to ship adequate quantities. Some distributors won't be receiving more copies until mid-October.
Its a two pronged assault. There are mixed messages of retail not bothering to order it as "lol Wii 2011 & not Zelda, Zumba, Just Dance *, Wii * or Mario" and also retail not getting enough of what they did order (GAME overestimating how many CEs and posters they would get leading to some people having their CE orders cancelled out the blue and the posters had to be dropped entirely for online purchases...instore wasn't mcuh better with you being lucky to get one let alone the three promised*).

Apparently NOE don't allow for retailer returns which means retail has to get the initial order right and well, last year Metroid Other M being a flop doesn't instill confidence (boradly speaking Xenoblade is a similar niche looking broadly at it of core game for Wii). Yeah, I've dragged that thing here. Sorry everyone.

*-The real rage moment will be when they wind up on the Stars Catalogue...in 15 months time

dock said:
I'm going to have to make some hard decisions if I want to finish this game this year. Such as, not buying Dark Souls. I've already resigned myself to skipping on Skyrim. D: I have a really bad track record with not finishing RPGs, and it would be nice to buck that trend.

I started this yesterday. I will definitively not be skipping Dark Souls, but something might have to go to be able to finish this game. If this game continues to be as good as it seems Skyrim might just get a pass.

McNum

BluWacky said:
Have you definitely done
Jackson's quest line? You have to get him to pick a new career AND help him with a task related to it. I had this done, and Colony 9 at four stars, before she'd give me the quest. I guess it may also depend on how far you are in the story - how far have you got?
Yes.
Jackson is a happy curry maker's apprentice and I really don't want to know why I had to get those for his "new recipe", but I did. No ! over Jackson's head anymore.
Story wise, I am at
The Fallen Arm having just gotten Fiora back and ready to leave the place, as soon as I skip travel back and leave properly, of course. Got Monado Armour from doing quests in the Hidden Village.
And yes, I have Shulk in the lead when speaking to Desiree.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
LayLa said:
ahaha i'm 45 hours in and just realized that you can
level up the Monado's abilities
. feel so stupid :/

omg, glad I read this spoiler i'm 20 hours in and hadn't noticed.

Totalriot

donkey show said:
After 70 hours of gameplay, I finally figured out how to
properly use Melia, lol. The whole time I would just load an elemental and blast immediately not realizing I can stack and save to actually keep one of the status effects active. So stupid, I am. Also, the Fiora and Dunban combo are wicked against Mechon.

Interesting. This is exactly what I'm doing with her. Could you please elaborate a bit further how your new playstyle is helpful? And how are you able to keep the buffs up?

my truth as a gamer..
img.php

where is my time.. or where is my money...
:X
that was my cycle when i was into the "where's my money cycle".. i should repost one for "where's my time" cycle :p

Spocker

Totalriot said:
Interesting. This is exactly what I'm doing with her. Could you please elaborate a bit further how your new playstyle is helpful? And how are you able to keep the buffs up?

You have to remember that she always releases the latest summoned elemental. She can have three elementals active at once, so if you for example want her regenerate aura active at all time, you summon Aqua first, then two more summons, and then only release the two latest ones before summoning new ones.

RPGCrazied

UltimateIke said:

This is what I got after the refund email. Seems like Zavvi is issuing refunds without being asked.

Thanks for your email. If the order arrives please let us know and we can make a charge for it.
Kind regards
nancy

McNum said:
Yes.
Jackson is a happy curry maker's apprentice and I really don't want to know why I had to get those for his "new recipe", but I did. No ! over Jackson's head anymore.
Story wise, I am at
The Fallen Arm having just gotten Fiora back and ready to leave the place, as soon as I skip travel back and leave properly, of course. Got Monado Armour from doing quests in the Hidden Village.
And yes, I have Shulk in the lead when speaking to Desiree.

I had the same problem.
My affinity with colony 9 was 4 stars and I had done al the Jackson quests but I still didn't get a quest from Désiree... I did a quest from the military district instead (about finding something in tephra cave to make someone fall in love with you, you had 2 options). After that I could do Désiree's quest so maybe there are more requirements for the quest to pop up then just 4 stars and Jackson...

Spocker said:
You have to remember that she always releases the latest summoned elemental. She can have three elementals active at once, so if you for example want her regenerate aura active at all time, you summon Aqua first, then two more summons, and then only release the two latest ones before summoning new ones.
Yup, and at the point where I'm at, the artes charge up quickly enough so that you can stack two more elementals while keeping the one with the status effect needed active the whole time.

Antagon

LayLa said:
ahaha i'm 45 hours in and just realized that you can
level up the Monado's abilities
. feel so stupid :/

How the... Did you constantly get killed by enemy arts? You need to upgrade your shield ability to block the higher level attacks.

For that quest, it definitely requires more than 4 stars, but it also doesn't require 5. Just make sure you've done as many quests as possible and, as has been stated a few times, make sure to talk to the named NPCs, even if you've already registered them in your affinity chart and even if they aren't offering a quest. You can occasionally unlock new quests or (I think) raise location affinity just by talking to them.

Yeah, talking to named NPCs outside of quests will raise you affinity with the area, which will then unlock more sidequests. You should be able to five star colony 9 by the time you're at
Eryth
Sea

McNum

Out_Of_Ammo said:
I had the same problem.
My affinity with colony 9 was 4 stars and I had done al the Jackson quests but I still didn't get a quest from Désiree... I did a quest from the military district instead (about finding something in tephra cave to make someone fall in love with you, you had 2 options). After that I could do Désiree's quest so maybe there are more requirements for the quest to pop up then just 4 stars and Jackson...
Did that one too, although I don't really like the result of it. I'll do it different next time.

I've been running around and talking to NPCs, and most of them are connected in some way on the Affinity chart. I'll do a sweep at odd hours like 14:00 and see if I missed someone, but apart from those three quests that I haven't been able to solve yet, I'm pretty much done with 4-star Colony 9. I know that there's a 5 star quest later, but I'll worry about that when it comes to that.

Antagon

BlazingDarkness said:
Yeah, talking to named NPCs outside of quests will raise you affinity with the area, which will then unlock more sidequests. You should be able to five star colony 9 by the time you're at
Eryth
Sea

I'm a lot further then that and I still can't get to 5 stars. Feels like I've talked to everyone tons of times.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I like the world and monsters so much in this game that I wish Nintendo made a Pokemon game similar to this, and take the quests from the TV episodes and to catch rare Pokemon, and use the first 151 Pokemon in the game (don't kill me).

Gvaz

Banned
Customs Official: What's this box...a WII game?
Customs official 2: Wii doesn't have RPGs, I bet it's full of arsenic or weed. Lets confiscate all this shit.

Nice, I got 134k chain attack with
shulk/dunban/riki,
but then the mobs died halfway through
dunban'
s middle attack. :(

BlazingDarkness said:
Eryth
Sea
Awesome, the only 5-star affinity I have so far is
Fallen Arm.
=(

Dascu

Gvaz said:
Customs Official: What's this box...a WII game?
Customs official 2: Wii doesn't have RPGs, I bet it's full of arsenic or weed. Lets confiscate all this shit.

Nice, I got 134k chain attack with
shulk/dunban/riki,
but then the mobs died halfway through
dunban'
s middle attack. :(
I've done over 250k on a chain attack a couple of times. I think at least one of them was on a group of Mechon. A nice Monado Buster at the end = Lots of dead Mechon.

I have been wondering about the stats in this game. Ether raises the effectiveness of ether arts I presume but what does agility do? Improve physical arts or does strenght do that as well?

Dascu

Napalm_Frank said:
I have been wondering about the stats in this game. Ether raises the effectiveness of ether arts I presume but what does agility do? Improve physical arts or does strenght do that as well?
Agility increases your chance to dodge an attack. One particular character's entire playstyle is based on high agility and just dodging everything the enemy throws at him.

McNum

Dascu said:
Agility increases your chance to dodge an attack. One particular character's entire playstyle is based on high agility and just dodging everything the enemy throws at him.
While naked. Okay, he wears underwear, but still.

Gvaz

Banned
The problem with him is reduction tank > avoidance tank

What happens is he'll dodge a lot but then get hit for quite a bit, and with no clothes theres nothing to gem for the extra HP VI instead of Agility VI in his weapon.

With Reyn, there's much less damage spikes because of all the high armor, hp and block, compared to the other guy who when he gets hit, it's hard.

Then you have mobs/bosses later on with spike damage on attack, that it's better off to use your avoid tank for dpsing the trash mobs and using reyn for bosses.

Zornica

Banned
I am still stuck at that endgame quest where you have to find
a boy named teelan after he and other high entias escaped alcamoth. searched for about 10 hours now, and I am ready to give up.

would appreciate every little hint i can get.

Dascu

Zornica said:
a boy named teelan after he and other high entias escaped alcamoth. searched for about 10 hours now, and I am ready to give up.

He's in one of those little windowed rooms on the second floor walkways in Alcamoth.

Zornica said:

In
Alcamoth. on the first floor the bit shapred like E (where the guards would tell you not to get at night), there is a gazebo on the southern _ bit of it. Thats where he is. hope that was clear enough.

Zornica

Banned
thanks you 2.
that actually helped a lot, since i thought he was somewhere outside (because the quest stated that he left the city together with the others... -_-)

Top Bottom