• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Ledsen

jgwhiteus said:
I thought they were limited by area (maybe even by section - e.g., you'll only find items on certain floors), but there was still an element of chance, with some items being rarer than others? I got a Kneecap Rock somewhere near the Arachnos (and I definitely had to make a pass or two through the cave to find it, along with Steel Silk), so I'd think it'd be in more than one location. Although, when I went looking for a Chewy Radish for a quest (and I hadn't picked up one in all the time I'd run around in the beginning of the game), I eventually found one at the mech. wreckage site, which was the only part of Colony 9 I hadn't revisited.

Am about 20 hours in, level 36 or so, just got Melia. I read earlier posts saying she eventually becomes a powerhouse with certain skills, but how is she when you first get her? Am thinking of using her instead of Sharla, but Sharla's the only decent healer at this point. And it seems like Reyn may eventually outgrow his usefulness? But then I'll miss his "Reyn Time!" shouts and his puppy-dog "Sharla! Did you see that?"
As soon as you get a fourth party member you should dump reyn, his damage output sucks.
melia
is a powerhouse from the first, her unleashed elementals do huge damage and if you upgrade them a bit the cooldown is so short that you can spam them endlessly.

exhume

Ledsen said:
I love them. Sounds much better than american ones, just like in FFXII.
Same! I particularly love that one cockney nutjob,
the mechon boss you encounter at Spiral Valley, I think it was...had us laughing for hours.

Feep

Banned
Whoa. Random, off-hand comment from a random villager in Colony 9 just blew my mind. Spoilers for those having not yet reached Valak:

Some girl was like, yeah, my dad is a great blacksmith! Xord's Smithy, everyone loved it.

After they introduced the plotpoint of dead Homs becoming Faces, that was like, whoa.

Dascu

Feep said:
Whoa. Random, off-hand comment from a random villager in Colony 9 just blew my mind. Spoilers for those having not yet reached Valak:

Some girl was like, yeah, my dad is a great blacksmith! Xord's Smithy, everyone loved it.

After they introduced the plotpoint of dead Homs becoming Faces, that was like, whoa.
She told me that before the reveal at Prison Island. I mean, from the visions, it was kind of obvious, but I was still surprised that the NPC was spoiling the story like that.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Feep said:

I got that comment and i've not even had that plot point you mentioned in the 2nd line mentioned in my game yet! but I was starting to assume it anyway
edit: I'm talking fairly early too here, like i'm still going thru the forest. and went back to colony 9 to run around.

Dmax3901

SlipperySlope said:
The British accents are driving me nuts.

I changed it to Japanese after the first cutscene. Even though the dialogue remains pretty cheesy, everything sounds badass in Japanese :)

Only thing you miss out on is the battle banter, but I can imagine if I could understand them it'd get very annoying very fast.

Oxx

Feep said:

Yeah, that was pretty mind-blowing. It was even more dramatic that it came in an
unvoiced text bubble, than a full-blown cut-scene.

OK, I don't know whose idea it was to
call who seems to be one of the main henchmen of the Evil Overlord(tm) Xord and make him sound like a terminally insane Irishman but I've decided by now that it's so over the top I'm fucking loving it.
He's still kicking my ass
in the mines
, though. I'm off to get some grinding somewhere else and I did some gem crafting as well. :p

I don't think I'll be switching to Japanese, hearing thick British accents in a JRPG-type game is such a first for me it's sorta mind-blowing and hilarious at the same time.

polg

a couple of questions about heart-to-hearts:

a) Are they always for specific characters?
b) Do you always need to make the characters like each other, or is it more complex than that?

polg said:
a couple of questions about heart-to-hearts:

a) Are they always for specific characters?
b) Do you always need to make the characters like each other, or is it more complex than that?
1) Yes, it's always between two specific characters.
2) Only the affinity (indicated by the smilies) between the characters count and I think you have to be at a certain point in the story for some Heart-to-Hearts.

polg

slaughterking said:
1) Yes, it's always between two specific characters.
2) Only the affinity (indicated by the smilies) between the characters count and I think you have to be at a certain point in the story for some Heart-to-Hearts.

there go my plans to make Shulk and Reyn make out :p

ramyeon

As if I hadn't been overwhelmed by the areas up until now... Eryth Sea and Alcamoth have blown me away.
I'm actually lost in Alcamoth trying to find a shop and coming up dry. It's so big... but there's nothing in it :( Eryth sea is confusing me a bit with all these tele porters but at least they go in logical directions. I went to the Ether Deposit behind the lighthouse per a story quest and got obliterated by a mob of enemies there. Even though I was a good two levels above them. I'm going back to the earlier areas to complete quests, over level myself again and come back :/

Feep

Banned
ramyeon said:
As if I hadn't been overwhelmed by the areas up until now... Eryth Sea and Alcamoth have blown me away.
I'm actually lost in Alcamoth trying to find a shop and coming up dry. It's so big... but there's nothing in it :( Eryth sea is confusing me a bit with all these tele porters but at least they go in logical directions. I went to the Ether Deposit behind the lighthouse per a story quest and got obliterated by a mob of enemies there. Even though I was a good two levels above them. I'm going back to the earlier areas to complete quests, over level myself again and come back :/
Second floor, right on the central staircase.

wsippel

Banned
ramyeon said:
The shop is directly in front of the palace entrance.

Ledsen

Dmax3901 said:
I changed it to Japanese after the first cutscene. Even though the dialogue remains pretty cheesy, everything sounds badass in Japanese :)

Only thing you miss out on is the battle banter, but I can imagine if I could understand them it'd get very annoying very fast.
The british party banter is completely awesome. Don't use japanese, man, you're missing out on some great voice acting and if you don't even understand japanese it's a no-brainer.

This is now my officialy 2nd best game I've played in the last decade.
unbelievable how much I adore it and it keeps getting better (I'm about 70% through)

pure epicness

lol @ Rikki looking like a freaking blowfish after I dressed him in heavy amour

edit:
I love them. Sounds much better than american ones, just like in FFXII.

also this.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
jump_button said:
In FFXII they alway sounded like they was talking into a can, :s and fake English by a american sounds so wrong to me
The can effect was due to audio compression to keep the game on 1 disc...Which is such a pity...Hope they kept better versions of the audio for future remakes/ports.

RPGCrazied said:
I'm surprised there isn't that many wallpapers for this game. I've only seen like 2.
Maybe not official ones, but I have a bunch of art that is sized properly for wallpapers and there was a post a few weeks ago that had several different images for use as wallpaper. Then there are the Dolphin screens, of course.

RPGCrazied said:
I'm surprised there isn't that many wallpapers for this game. I've only seen like 2.

I've edited the original (color) one and gave it more contrast. I did it because all of my wallpapers are black/white
MoOAjl.jpg

for anyone who wants it (sadly it's only 1280x760):
get it here

RPGCrazied

SecretMoblin said:
Maybe not official ones, but I have a bunch of art that is sized properly for wallpapers and there was a post a few weeks ago that had several different images for use as wallpaper. Then there are the Dolphin screens, of course.

Is there a website of those images? I only have the one where Shulk is looking into the night sky and there is like a floating castle thing in the sky.

Is that really a zone? Just Wow.

Bennettt2

ramyeon said:

The way I could only beat that mob was to defeat them one at a time by telling my party to focus on one then killing it and running away to the teleporter. Once you come back there will be one less of the mob.

MicH

In regards to Riki, I loathed him when I first saw him, but I've actually come to like him a lot. He's a breath of fresh air in all this doom and gloom :p

ramyeon

Feep said:
Second floor, right on the central staircase.
Thanks, I must have gone right past it. Most confusing layout next to Frontier Village :/

I don't know why I put off going to Daksha Shrine until now
the spider legs coming out of the valley when I picked up the mirror was awesome. Totally unexpected as well! But then they did it again on top of the Exile Fortress with 3 spiders. Wasn't as much of a shock this time. None of them could hit me either since my level was too high. Should've done it earlier I guess! Now I just gotta find out where to go next with that item I got...

RPGCrazied said:
Is there a website of those images? I only have the one where Shulk is looking into the night sky and there is like a floating castle thing in the sky.

Is that really a zone? Just Wow.
Yes, it's a real zone. Like everything else in the game, it seems deliberately designed to knock your socks off.

I'll upload the wallpapers I can find and put up a link in a few minutes.

MicH said:
In regards to Riki, I loathed him when I first saw him, but I've actually come to like him a lot. He's a breath of fresh air in all this doom and gloom :p

Yeah, when I first saw his artwork I was pretty wary of his character. Thinking something like, great, I guess he must be the obligatory annoying JRPG character. The Vanille of Xenoblade, or something.

But he is actually a pretty endearing little guy (well at least he is in Japanese).

Haunted

Riki fucking sucks. I'm too jaded to enjoy shitty cute furry sidekicks like that.

Feep said:
Wait, hold on. You mean the blue globes aren't randomized? Certain ones are always certain items?
I'm fairly certain the blue orbs are randomised with different rare drop percentages.

I'm not sure if the drop percentages differ depending on the location within an area, though.

Haunted said:
Riki fucking sucks. I'm too jaded to enjoy shitty cute furry sidekicks like that.
I'm with you. I "get" the appeal, but the voice acting, the character design, the backstory, basically everything about that little freak annoys me. It' like Jar-Jar Binks.

Dascu

Haunted said:
I'm not sure if the drop percentages differ depending on the location within an area, though.
They do. Each blue item drop has set percentages to contain this or that item, and some drops definitely have higher percentages than others. I imagine that the ones in harder to reach/secret areas might have higher chances of containing rare items than others.

Can't say I'm surprised, with you being German and all.

Ledsen

Haunted said:

I'm fairly certain the blue orbs are randomised with different rare drop percentages.

So first you shit on deadly premonition, now this. Wtf man :(

Haunted said:
They can do, as each orb has its own drop table. I would better if the game could inform you of when one has a quest item or new collectible to stop with the whole pile of 50 you don't need...

played about 3 hours last night. Absolutely amazing game, so far everything has been near perfect. story, gameplay, even the soundtrack is very good. I cannot wait to see whats to come, I'm only lvl 11 and just leaving colony 9.

MicH

Does anyone know where I can get a Bitter Kiwi in Makna Forest? The only one I need and I CAN'T find it :( Or anyone who trades it?

The Hermit

There are few JRPG that I enjoy playing and this is one of them ... no random battles, fast paced, not having to worry about health after the battle (this is fantastic btw).
I am still having some problems with the battle system though, sometimes I have no idea what I am doing...

Too bad I can't play as much as I could when I was younger... at my rate, I´ll probably finish this game in 2014 :(

Haunted

Ledsen said:
So first you shit on deadly premonition, now this. Wtf man :(
Xenoblade Chronicles is an absolutely amazing game and one of the most ambitious RPGs I've played this generation.

Doesn't make Riki suck any less as a character, though!

Dunban is the only half-interesting one in the whole cast, tbh. Story and characters are not the game's strong suits - the fantastical world design and actual RPG gameplay with its various complex sub-systems is what makes this game stand out.

Dascu said:
They do. Each blue item drop has set percentages to contain this or that item, and some drops definitely have higher percentages than others. I imagine that the ones in harder to reach/secret areas might have higher chances of containing rare items than others.
That sounds plausible.

But it's probably still easier to just "farm" locations with a lot of blue orbs instead of going to that tough to reach blue orb that has 3% instead of 2% . Not sure if reloading can make a difference there or whether it's randomised upon instancing the area.

Haunted

SecretMoblin said:
I'm with you. I "get" the appeal, but the voice acting, the character design, the backstory, basically everything about that little freak annoys me. It' like Jar-Jar Binks.
Yeah, basically. There are people who really liked Jar-Jar Binks when he first appeared.

Wait a couple years, and if anyone still talks about Xenoblade then, everyone will hate on the shitty token cute-ish pet character.

edit: I made sure that everyone in my team doesn't get into good standing with Riki. He's like the red-headed step child of my group.

Top Bottom