• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Oxx

I committed to swimming the entire edge of the Eryth Sea. 45 minutes later I'm starting to regret that decision.

mclem

KarmaCow said:
I remember not being able to craft one crystal but I'm not sure now, heh.

Just to revisit this, I've reminded myself of what I actually did. You can't craft one crystal, you're quite right. But you can run multiple completely unrelated cylinders simultaneously to boost their numbers - although you've got to take care to ensure you plan for enough in the cylinder gauge to collect them again afterwards.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oxx said:
I committed to swimming the entire edge of the Eryth Sea. 45 minutes later I'm starting to regret that decision.

I was planning on swimming the complete area to map it out before I have every location. Doesnt sound like a good idea then.

Oxx

Toma said:
I was planning on swimming the complete area to map it out before I have every location. Doesnt sound like a good idea then.

I've gained thousands of XP from discovering new areas, but there are a looooootttt of rock walls to swim alongside.

And then I got in a fight with a bunch of enemies on an island and died.

Dascu

Die Squirrel Die said:
Question for somebody who has found all the Makna Forest locations. Where on the map is
the Contaminated Area
?
That's... either the place where you found Melia, or where you beat the Telethia.

Dascu said:
That's... either the place where you found Melia, or where you beat the Telethia.

Must be
the place you find Melia because I've popped the Telethia location.
Thanks, don't know why I didn't think to revisit there before, but now that I think about it I only saw that place in a cutscene.

Ledsen

Dascu said:
But where on the map? I was looking for it for 45 mins and couldn't find it. It's the last location I have to find.

Haunted

RPGCrazied said:
Question. Do some of the weapons ever have a glow effect? I know the Monado does. :p That is obvious though.
Some of them do, yeah. I know Dunban had a glowing sword at one time. Looks pretty cool.

The Judge

MicH said:
Anyone know? It's the last area I need to find and I need to beat a monster there :(

Go to the Landmark of Frontier Village entrance in Makna Forest. Then follow the bridges going east of the entrance (while facing away from the entrance). You should spot the windmill a bit ways ahead of you, just keep following the bridges while hugging the trees to your right.

wsippel

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Question. Do some of the weapons ever have a glow effect? I know the Monado does. :p That is obvious though.
Yes. Dystopia for example has a red, pulsating energy blade. It's also one of the most powerful and hardest to find weapons in the game as far as I can tell. You'll see it when/ if you get it.

Sadist

RPGCrazied said:
Can't wait to start playing. Just a couple more day...
You're finally getting a copy? Good for you man.

Btw, quest question about Colony 9

Where can I find Paola? I need to complete two quest where she is needed and I just can't find her :(

Dascu

Sadist said:

Where can I find Paola? I need to complete two quest where she is needed and I just can't find her :(
Daytime, warp to Gem Man's Stall. Walk right. Check out the little area where Sesame and those other people are sitting at night, behind the boxes and whatnot.

RPGCrazied

Sadist said:

Yep. Fellow gaffer in the US had another copy. He's shipping today. I paid him last night.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rahxephon91 said:
Well I guess even Xenoblade has to have one annoying character. Thanks Riki.

You take it back! Riki is my favorite character to control, because of his awesome healing move and plenty of positional attacks.

RPGCrazied

McNum said:
Awesome, I hope it lives up to your expectations. (My guess? It will.)

Haha, I love your avatar by the way. :p

It will. It's the best jRPG this gen from what people are saying, and jRPG's are my favvie.

wrowa

Sadist said:
Btw, in Satorl Marsh

How do I reach the roof of Exile Fortress? I have investigate it but I can't climb it
You have to investigate the wall behind the throne inside of Exile Fortress

MicH

Sidequest in Frontier Village / Makna Forest spoiler
FUCK that Gravedigger Igna in the tomb is kicking my ass. Such a scary place with all the dead Ignas (?) around. Urgh. Might get back later.

I absolutely love these kind og sidequests.

MicH said:
FUCK that Gravedigger Igna in the tomb is kicking my ass. Such a scary place with all the dead Ignas (?) around. Urgh. Might get back later.

One of the many things I love about this game? Having a frustrating time dealing with certain uniques, then leveling up a bit, coming back later, and thrashing them. It's incredibly satisfying.

jgwhiteus

Okay, I tried out
Melia's
battle mechanics for a bit and looked at eariler posts, and let me see if I got the hang of the basics (this assumes you're directly controlling her):

First spell / buff is usually the one you want to last the longest, or has the longest recharge time, since it's the last to discharge - they discharge in reverse order? So at this point flame has the useful strength up buff and seems to take longest to recharge. Water / HP regenerate & absorb seems to have shortest recharge, but is semi-useful. Lightning / Ether up isn't really benefiting my other characters at this point.

So typical battle could be - start with flame (strength up), then use water (HP regenerate), then lightning (ether up). Immediately use Talent Art to discharge lightning, water a little after. At this point you can also discharge flame, or if the other spells have recharged already, cast them and discharge again - if you haven't discharged flame yet the buff still holds, though there's a time limit. Then spam until battle over. If the Talent gauge fills up, she'll use Burst so discharges have more power. Also, eventually she'll get a skill that will inflict Topple, which you'll want to use before wailing on a monster with a chain attack / Burst?

Sorry for asking about the basics, but the Tutorial was a bit confusing at first.

Oh, and do the environments ever make you feel a hint of vertigo or nervousness about heights - e.g.,
crossing Makna bridge or going up those winding staircases in Frontier Village
. Combining a huge environment with steep vertical drops and putting in narrow pathways you can easily fall off of was just a little evil of the developers, and made me a bit nervous - though I give them credit for making the environments feel so "immersive".

EDIT: oh, and on Satorl Marsh, I totally tried to fight my way through
the front entrance of Exile Fortress to do the rescue sidequest - experiencing MAJOR game slowdown - before realizing the Rear Door Key would have let me skip all that if I wanted. Same goes for when you have to use the key behind the throne.

Finalow

iamaustrian said:
I've edited the original (color) one and gave it more contrast. I did it because all of my wallpapers are black/white
MoOAjl.jpg

for anyone who wants it (sadly it's only 1280x760):
get it here
really nice, thanks.

CassSept

Meh, bumped into some info about the game and decided to order it despite my urge to save up money for the holiday season.

So, is the game really SO AWESOME?

Edit: Oh and from what I understand, English voice-over is good, right? OR is the Japanese still better?

jgwhiteus

CassSept said:
Meh, bumped into some info about the game and decided to order it despite my urge to save up money for the holiday season.

So, is the game really SO AWESOME?

Edit: Oh and from what I understand, English voice-over is good, right? OR is the Japanese still better?

I think it's great - fun, engaging battle system (no automatic "win" button), decent challenge with battles that will wipe you out, but extremely generous save system that means it's not frustrating, huge, gorgeous environments (but the game lets you fast travel, again to avoid frustration), and addictive play structure. I don't know enough about the story yet (only 20 hours in) to comment on it, but I was a fan of Monolith Soft's earlier games, and the presentation in this one has been very good, even if the plot relies on some standard tropes (but they're like comfort food).

Weaker points are probably that the side-quests, as addictive as they can be, can sometimes be overwhelming and tedious (which is why I just look up stuff online occasionally if I can't be bothered to search a huge area for one little item or NPC), and there's some clunkiness with the menus for items / gem management. The graphics for characters and occasional textures can be jarringly bad when contrasted with environments, but you get used to it.

The music really is top-notch - there'll be times when you're just running around exploring, with no monsters on your radar, and the combination of a huge, gorgeous landscape (with a starry sky at night, or being surrounded by colored mists) and beautiful music will amaze you. I love how night-time music is a variation on the themes of the day-time; the night-time music for Satorl Marsh was really quite nice.

I think the English voice-over is really good - maybe it's because I like British accents or something. But the timing / rhythm and tone of the voice-work seem pretty natural and not too stilted (though I just encountered a character whose voice seems like it will grate on my nerves) - superior to a lot of recent jRPG localizations like FFXIII - and for a US gamer, so far they've avoided using jarring British slang (like "bird" and "cor blimey!" in DQVIII).

EDIT: this is the Satorl Marsh night music - reminded me a bit of the Mana temple music (orchestrated as "Decisive Battle") from Final Fantasy Adventure. Some other music (hard monster theme - "You Will Know Our Names") reminded me a bit of the hard battle music ("The Decisive Battle") from FFVI. These are both good things, since those are both some of my favorite game music pieces.

Gvaz

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Well I guess even Xenoblade has to have one annoying character. Thanks Riki.

I hated riki at first but he grew on me.

Baloonatic said:
Can Riki be used as a tank at any point? I'm still wondering why he has so much HP.
it's because Nopons are badass. Orgulas step on them, kick them, beat them, etc and it just makes them mad and they bounce right back. This is said several times in the game.

SlipperySlope said:
The British accents are driving me nuts.
Better than having Generic Voice Actor #382 with an english accent.

Maybe it isn't for brits, but it is for us americans.

Dmax3901 said:
I changed it to Japanese after the first cutscene. Even though the dialogue remains pretty cheesy, everything sounds badass in Japanese :)

Only thing you miss out on is the battle banter, but I can imagine if I could understand them it'd get very annoying very fast.

Dunban
sounds like he's 15. You don't really notice the voice acting in combat also the audio cues are helpful because they will comment on needing things, or that you can do something like chain attacks or whatnot, or how hard a battle will be, etc. It's not just three people all screaming KAMEHAMEHA for 30 seconds each battle.

Ledsen said:
As soon as you get a fourth party member you should dump reyn, his damage output sucks.
melia
is a powerhouse from the first, her unleashed elementals do huge damage and if you upgrade them a bit the cooldown is so short that you can spam them endlessly.

Nah he's got several ways to boost his damage output but he's not really meant for doing damage, but for tanking. Of course his damage wont be high.

That character you mention though, lol. I went through the tomb and I had never used
her
before and the tutorial was like, "since you're by yourself, don't bother just buffing, summon an elemental and just discharge it on a mob" I was like ten levels higher or so because of quests, but when you one shot a mob from discharging an electric shot, you can't help but laugh.

jump_button said:
In FFXII they alway sounded like they was talking into a can, :s and fake English by a american sounds so wrong to me
Yeah I noticed that when I played it on an emulator. Sounds like shit.

Cor Blimey! was my favorite part from dq8

KarmaCow

Just beat the game and *spoilers obviously so don't highlight the rest if you haven't beat the game*
that ending was kinda meh. The whole Zanza being a scientist on Earth stuff was pretty pointless and felt it was there just to have a WTF moment. The characters themselves were pretty bland, especially Sharla. Early on in the game, I was expecting more about choice/fate and the right to choose, but they didn't really go in depth into it.

Overall I thought the game was pretty good, especially the battle mechanics but there was a lot of rough edges. I wouldn't want to play it again and I really lost my desire to do the end game stuff due to the gem grinding stuff but I did put ~110 hours into it already.

If there was more direct control over party members somehow and there wasn't the accuracy penalty for higher level enemies, I would love to see the battle mechanics in another game. The biggest shame is that the game was too easy, partly because I did the quests, but also because most enemies were fairly simple. Brute force worked most of the time.

Seik

Banned
Thank god I wasn't at work yesterday.

This game is so good, its coke, litteraly, It's just been one day since I have the copy and I already played 10 hours. It's been YEARS since I played a game with that intensity. I'm surprised at how Shulk is a better protagonist than I expected, I like the fact that he's on the 'revenge' path instead of the 'emo' path if you know what I mean.

Story is quite nice, involving and memorable. But I have a lot more to see so I won't develop on this aspect.

Oh and DAT MUSIC, WOW! I mean, you know it's good when you put the controller aside just to listen at that beautiful main theme. It all fits so well with everything. Battle theme, boss theme, unique monster theme, oh and that theme happening during story events gives me chills down my spine. It's just wondeful how they managed to impress me on so many levels.

I reached Bionis Leg a few hours ago, I was like 'Wow, it's just getting started.'. This game just came out but it feels so classic and nostalgic by moments. Well, I'm going back on it!

The only thing that may be 'bad' are those frequent fight quotes, but I personally live well with them. That famous 'Man, what a bunch of jokahs' winning quote gives me a smile each time I hear it, we'll see after 50 more hours if I still like it! XD

Final words: The hype was deserved.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention it's one of those 30FPS game on wii that feels better with the usually shitty TruMotion option on my TV, which is rare, but awesome!

jgwhiteus

Oh, and I like that sight and sound-activated monsters that used to tear after you when you were a few levels lower will sit silently in place and not bother you once you're stronger than they are. It's like, "That's right, stupid bird, you just sit in that tree."

McNum

jgwhiteus said:
Oh, and I like that sight and sound-activated monsters that used to tear after you when you were a few levels lower will sit silently in place and not bother you once you're stronger than they are. It's like, "That's right, stupid bird, you just sit in that tree."
The game also has a lovely way to remind you that even as you grow in powers, there's always something around that can kick your ass. (level 50-60 location spoiler)
I climbed all the way to the top of the Distant Fingertip on the Fallen Arm. (Train of thought: Hey, there's a walkway up there... how do I get there?) and I arrived at the top during the day seeing an awesome view of the entire arm. Then a thunderstorm broke out and it was awesome, too. Then I wanted to see it at night, so I set the time to midnight, but when the game resumed, I noticed that something was moving up there. Target! Three digit level! I hurried to set the time back to "Not time to get my ass kicked by a giant bird" again.

LProtag

I'm trying to remember when Confrontation with the Enemy plays. I know it played during the awesome sequence on
Prison Island
but I don't remember if I heard it before... will it show up again? I loved it.

Oxx

I was wondering if this might be the first Wii game in a while to require an |OT2|, but then I remembered that RPGCrazied doesn't even have the game yet. It's a case of 'when', not 'if'.

LProtag

JumpingTheGun said:
Orluga Slacks in Eryth Sea? Where's the best location to find em?

I remember picking them up off of the Orluga monsters, at least I think that's what they're called, that are on the gate unlock islands or whatever they're called. I got them while doing the story quest to
unlock Prison Island

MicH

MicH said:

Man, am I glad I did that sidequest!
I ended up with a completely new Monado Art!! And a skill book for Battle-something, a skill Shulk has. NICE!

Top Bottom