• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

So I'm 68 hours in, *Don't read if you don't see common 54+ lvled monsters.
and I'm roaming around Mechonis Field atm. Lvl 62 plan on doing side quests after that little cut scene. I know what is going to happen next :/ . Also is the battle music going to stay the way it is now? I don't mind it but I want the other music back :(

Gvaz

Banned
MicH said:
Man, am I glad I did that sidequest!
I ended up with a completely new Monado Art!! And a skill book for Battle-something, a skill Shulk has. NICE!
Can you explain where you got this quest and what it was called?

KarmaCow

JumpingTheGun said:
Yo MicH how'd you get that sidequest? Ive been dying to get it. Ive done a ton of sides in Frontier and that one has yet to appear

Gvaz said:
Can you explain where you got this quest and what it was called?

You need to have passed
Prison Island. Lupa on the Archeology level should give you a quest called Mystery of Makna Ruins 1 or something like that. The last part of the quest will let you get the skills but it's not explicitly part of the quest.

MicH

I think you need 2 stars in Frontier Village and do some of Lupa's earlier quests. She is near Riki's House (go up two or tree flights of stairs and she is under a floor above her. She is pink.

Gvaz

Banned
KarmaCow said:
You need to have passed
Prison Island. Lupa on the Archeology level should give you a quest called Mystery of Makna Ruins 1 or something like that. The last part of the quest will let you get the skills but it's not explicitly part of the quest.
oh pppppffft

I still haven't gotten there yet. I'm like 3 stars in nopon, alcamoth, four in colony 9 (dunno who else would give me quests, I even sent
desiree to be a potter and did that quest for emmy
though I didn't get the last one) and 2 stars in colony 6.

I checked the spreadsheet and apparently I'm missing like....3 quests other than the
emmy
one I mentioned and the people that give them won't give them to me. I heard that spreadsheet for 9 isn't complete though.

MicH

The most I have is three stars in both Colony 9 and now Frontier Village :( Been doing FV quests this whole day :p Need a couple, but for those I need items from
Valak Mountains

MicH

KarmaCow said:
You need to have passed
Do you know what you do with the item Lupa gives you? I believe it's called
Hearts of the Giants

EDIT: Whoops, doublepost, sorry!

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Gvaz said:
oh pppppffft

I still haven't gotten there yet. I'm like 3 stars in nopon, alcamoth, four in colony 9 (dunno who else would give me quests, I even sent
desiree to be a potter and did that quest for emmy
though I didn't get the last one) and 2 stars in colony 6.

I checked the spreadsheet and apparently I'm missing like....3 quests other than the
emmy
one I mentioned and the people that give them won't give them to me. I heard that spreadsheet for 9 isn't complete though.

Have you found
Jackson
? He is
behind some houses in the residential district by the day, you have to get between two houses and head right
. He is pretty hard to find, and his quests were all I needed to 5-star Colony 9

Gvaz

Banned
Dr. Ecco said:
Have you found
Jackson
? He is
behind some houses in the residential district by the day, you have to get between two houses and head right
. He is pretty hard to find, and his quests were all I needed to 5-star Colony 9
Yep found him too. I've talked to every single named person twice as well. Well, not several times after I've gained affinity but probably like three passes doing this.

Hiltz

Is it just me or are most of the weapons you obtain from monster drops, shops, and even some unique monsters mostly garbage?

I still have Shulk wearing the helmet I got from Makna Forest with the feathers on it despite being at level 50 and on my way soon to
Prison Island
. Sadly,
Sharla
has some slutty armor available but its much weaker than what she's wearing now. Even most of the weapons I have gotten aren't as good.
Dunban's
got a nice selection of swords to choose from but their all weak compared to the night sickle or whatever its called even when the other weapons have extra gem slots, I'd lose out on stuff like 20% critical attack and being able to keep my agility stat at its highest.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Gvaz said:
Yep found him too. I've talked to every single named person twice as well. Well, not several times after I've gained affinity but probably like three passes doing this.

Then the only thing I can think of is doing a new pass of talking to every named NPC twice. Their dialogs not only change after getting a new star, but also after completing certain sidequests, or simply after talking to a certain NPC.

Vamphuntr

Hiltz said:
Is it just me or are most of the weapons you obtain from monster drops, shops, and even some unique monsters mostly garbage?

Yeah it's like ME1 you get a LOT of garbage from monsters. Make sure you sell the trash often because your inventory will be filled.

I should be over with the game soon I guess. I'm at the
Mechonis Core
. Good RPG overall but certainly not in my top RPGs of all time. The quests disappointed me so much. It's with stuff like that you see the budget of Monolith :(

I've been staying away from this thread because I don't want to read spoilers, but I have a quest I can't seem to complete.
In Thedra Cave, there's a soldier who asks for two Bright Figs. They're supposed to be collectible blue shiny balls (I completed the collectopedia for Thedra Cave), but I can't find any more... In what part of the cave can I find these?

As for the storyline,
I just saw the mythical bird for the first time. He saved me from Metal Face!
I'm 19h in and I really love the game!. It's one of those games where I'm really taking my time to complete everything.

Gvaz

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Yeah it's like ME1 you get a LOT of garbage from monsters. Make sure you sell the trash often because your inventory will be filled.

I should be over with the game soon I guess. I'm at the
Mechonis Core
. Good RPG overall but certainly not in my top RPGs of all time. The quests disappointed me so much. It's with stuff like that you see the budget of Monolith :(
The only thing so far that's filled up for me is gems and gem creations

wsippel

Banned
Gvaz said:
it's because Nopons are badass. Orgulas step on them, kick them, beat them, etc and it just makes them mad and they bounce right back. This is said several times in the game.
They are also the leading scientists, and control all trade routes and the
organized crime
on Bionis. They talk the way they talk because it makes humans and High Entia underestimate them, which is exactly what they want. Also, Riki is not the heropon because he's unusually strong,
he's just broke and needs the money. Nopons are a warrior race, he's just one of many. It seems even the kids learn the way of the warrior at a very young age. A really fun and interesting concept. I also love how Dunban kinda calls him out on that halfway through the game.

It get's even weirder when you realize that one of the oldest characters you meet in the game is a Nopon, suggesting they were pretty much always there. The sage is probably about as old as Egil and Vanea, maybe even as old as Miqol.

Hiltz

In Colony 9 there's a quest to kill 3 Light Skeeters but I cannot find these damn flying bug monsters anywhere. I have heard people say that they're near Anti-Air Battery 1,but I have been around there and on the beach near it during the day and night and there's nothing there. The only flying monsters I have seen are Little Skeeters and Vangs.

MicH

Hiltz said:
In Colony 9 there's a quest to kill 3 Light Skeeters but I cannot find these damn flying bug monsters anywhere. I have heard people say that they're near Anti-Air Battery 1,but I have been around there and on the beach near it during the day and night and there's nothing there. The only flying monsters I have seen are Little Skeeters and Vangs.
I believe near Cliff... Cove? Whatever it's called, Cliff-something. If you jump down from the entrance to Tephra Cave, they should be near the beach down there :) I had so much trouble finding them as well, lol :D

Hiltz

MicH said:
I believe near Cliff... Cove? Whatever it's called, Cliff-something. If you jump down from the entrance to Tephra Cave, they should be near the beach down there :) I had so much trouble finding them as well, lol :D

Thank you,sir!

MicH said:
Does anyone know where on Bionis (heh) I can find Piranhaxes on Bionis' Leg? I seem to only be finding Sardines.

Try checking out the pond north of the Gaur Plain landmark during the day.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
ElTopo said:
Spoilers for endgame quests:
Anyone know where I can find
Emmy Leater
after
she left Colony 9
? I need her for
a quest for Miller
. Thanks in advance.

On another note: Does anyone know whether gems and skills add up ? For example if a character has Double Attack +50% via gems and +15% via skills, does he have 65% or still only 50% ?

Thanks in advance.

In that quest I believe she is in the Ether Mine (in the room with the bed.)

Rich!

Riiight. I need help.

I'm in the
entia tomb, fighting the masked woman and the telethia.
My lineup is Dunban, Melia and Sharla (not shulk as the monado does fuck all to people). I'm getting my ass kicked.

I'm at level 37, all arts levelled up and decent gems equipped, and I just cannot seem to beat them. Any advice?

TDLink

I'd honestly say Prison Island is more like 40-45% than 50%.

Real 50%:

When you first get to Sword Valley, after Valak Mountain

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
God I think I've put fifteen hours into this game in the last two days. Holy crap, its like I can feel my time being sucked out of me. I just got out of the first area of caves, about to go up onto the Bionis Leg, which I know from reputation is going to be fucking awesome.

This game....this game...I don't even know where to start. So much of it has already been said. Battle system is awesome, art style is gorgeous, story is really engaging so far, if slightly cliche. I can't wait to see more of the Mechon, they really fascinate me. I have this idea I think is awesome, although I don't think the actual story will play out like this
The Mechon with a face was built out of their attempt to be more human/alive

Sadist

Oh Richi, the wonders you'll witness :p

I have this idea I think is awesome, although I don't think the actual story will play out like this
The Mechon with a face was built out of their attempt to be more human/alive
Nope :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sadist said:
Oh Richi, the wonders you'll witness :p

Nope :p
Damn, okay...hmmm....well there are several cliches they could go with, the most obvious of which would be the classic
they're human inside/they were human before "the era of augmentation"
trope, or at least
they turned on their human masters
. I like how sinister they are.

Amppelix

Neo Member
Quick question: How well does it play without the classic controller? I.e. are there important functions mapped to stupid buttons like 2 due to button shortage?

Oxx

Not really liking the segmented nature of the landmasses in
Eryth Sea
, but the amazing vistas make up for it.

Amppelix said:
Quick question: How well does it play without the classic controller? I.e. are there important functions mapped to stupid buttons like 2 due to button shortage?
Umm 1 is the local map and 2 is..... IDK.

Alex

I just wish you could actually do the sidequests without becoming an overpowered beast and thus mucking up any meaning to the battle system. Granted, the sidequests are almost all outright horrible but I hate just skipping them entirely.

Gvaz said:
Can someone help me, where's the imperial treasury? I can't find it...
Using this map
bottom right
so about
x=400,y=100
You'll need
the royal crest (or w/e it is called; the one you got from an endgame quest in the Marsh)
to open the door though

richisawesome said:
Riiight. I need help.

I'm in the
entia tomb, fighting the masked woman and the telethia.
My lineup is Dunban, Melia and Sharla (not shulk as the monado does fuck all to people). I'm getting my ass kicked.

I'm at level 37, all arts levelled up and decent gems equipped, and I just cannot seem to beat them. Any advice?
I'm regretting not getting stuck on this battle as I don't know how to help (I did get stuck on battles afterward so I can't have been overleveled). Anyway, I'd say
Put Shulk back in the team for Monado Purge (if/when the Telethia does it dodge everything thing) and just focus on the Telethia, once that is down the other person is just a matter of time

Rich!

The_Technomancer said:
Damn, okay...hmmm....well there are several cliches they could go with, the most obvious of which would be the classic
they're human inside/they were human before "the era of augmentation"
trope, or at least
they turned on their human masters
. I like how sinister they are.

Yeah, uh...

I spoiled myself by accident, goddamnit, and all I can say is that...well, I'm not going to say it.

Just ripped the soundtrack in ADX format btw. 6 hours of awesome. Easy to do if you've ripped your disc to USB, and have an unpacker for the compressed audio archive.

Frillen

Okey, so I'm level 73 and facing Disciple Lorithia right now. Any tip on how to beat her? Should I take down the minions first or just ignore them? It seems like it will take forever to take her down.

Goddammit! I was fighting a lvl 75 mob with a lvl 61 party and almost won, but it was a mob that only appears during rain... He had like less then 1/5 HP left but then the weather changed and he disappeared :( It was so awesome,
Dunban and Rikki always missed even though they were stacked with agility gems but for some reason were some of melia's spells effective. I pretty much damaged him only by chill and blaze dmg while trying to stay alive and almost had him :( I even had a full party meter so I could revive if I had to... Stupid weather changes :p

Top Bottom