• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Alrus

I'm a bit pissed I won't be able to play this game until mid september. I have exams spanning from now till the 8th, then I'm going to spain for a week :( (not that I'm complaining about going on vacation, but I'm just really excited about this game).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Has there been any indication with the rise in global interest that it positively impacted Japenese sales/buzz at all?

Like, any chance this actually becomes a franchise now?

jesusraz

John Harker said:
Has there been any indication with the rise in global interest that it positively impacted Japenese sales/buzz at all?

Like, any chance this actually becomes a franchise now?
I'm pretty sure there was some mention that Operation Rainfall's impact had helped the game climb back up Amazon JP slightly...how long-lasting that effect was, though, I have no idea.

weeaboo

BlazingDarkness said:
Good GOD these characters are ugly :lol
Who is the character designer? They need firing

Tadahiro Usuda, same as Soma Bringer. And yes, the characters in this game are fucking ugly.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
BlazingDarkness said:

Yeah Im excited as hell for Xenoblade, but god DAMN do I hate the character designs in this game. Theyre just absolutely terrible. What happened to the BK character designer, Nakaba Higurashi I think, he die or something? They went from sheer awesomeness in BK and BKO to complete shit in Soma Bringer and Xenoblade. Its like reallllly bad One Piece style stuff and I dont even like One Piece to begin with.

I ordered mine today from Zavvi and it's been packed and now awaiting dispatch. I imagine it'll ship out tomorrow. The next week or so is going to be grueling. At least I'll have El Shaddai and Deus Ex to keep me occupied.

Codeblue

Hiltz said:
XenoBlade's currently sitting at #10 on the Amazon UK top 10 game chart.

It would probably be #1 if they let other regions import. That's the one thing Amazon needs to fix to be totally perfect.

Nix

Banned
FrostuTheNinja said:
I ordered mine today from Zavvi and it's been packed and now awaiting dispatch. I imagine it'll ship out tomorrow. The next week or so is going to be grueling. At least I'll have El Shaddai and Deus Ex to keep me occupied.
Hahaha, good luck with that man. I'd try and stretch those games as far as you can. Me? I'm going to just go through my massive (it's now down to less than 8 games, dear jesus was I working this summer....I haven't done much in the productive vein..) backlog so that might be fun.

My backlog is increasing by over 20 this remaining year though...so goddamn. Xenoblade, I love you, and Zavvi will probably get you to me in like a month, so in that month, I'll make my backlog 0. Believe.

Nix said:
Hahaha, good luck with that man. I'd try and stretch those games as far as you can. Me? I'm going to just go through my massive (it's now down to less than 8 games, dear jesus was I working this summer....I haven't done much in the productive vein..) backlog so that might be fun.

My backlog is increasing by over 20 this remaining year though...so goddamn. Xenoblade, I love you, and Zavvi will probably get you to me in like a month, so in that month, I'll make my backlog 0. Believe.

I know, I'm putting a large amount of faith in the idea that I'll have it in at least two weeks. I may be kidding myself, but all I have is hope at this point. I mean, hell, I had hoped the game would be released stateside and we all have seen how that turned out.

Hope...

D:

weeaboo said:
Tadahiro Usuda, same as Soma Bringer. And yes, the characters in this game are fucking ugly.
Seriously lol, they're like fan art, really bad fan art. Drawn by that one guy in school who used to sketch anime characters in his books instead of working, only you didn't have the heart to tell him how shit they were

wrowa

Hiltz said:
XenoBlade's currently sitting at #10 on the Amazon UK top 10 game chart.
Amazon.de:
CC Pro edition: #14
Regular edition: #72

Amazon.fr
CC Pro edition: #6
Regular edition: #8

Amazon.it (won't be released until Sepember 2nd):
Regular edition: #540

BlazingDarkness said:
Seriously lol, they're like fan art, really bad fan art. Drawn by that one guy in school who used to sketch anime characters in his books instead of working, only you didn't have the heart to tell him how shit they were

This made me laugh way more than it should have. I guess most of us knew one or two.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Zornica said:
that may was there intention, but i am not sure they succeeded.
It's hard to say really since we don't have actual footage of the dialogue from that scene to compare. I think Dickson and Mumuka look exactly the same though so I agree they accomplished what they intended to do at least with the playable characters, whether it ended up being better...

BlazingDarkness said:
I think it was Tadahiro Usuda and Akinobu Yamakawa, they are the first two credited for 2D character design in the ending staff roll. You can see Usuda's trademark patterns on most of their clothes, which were also on most of the human characters in Xenosaga and all over the place in Soma Bringer. These guys were always at MonolithSoft, it's just that they've been brought to the forefront now that there is no external character designer involved.

TDLink

chifanpoe said:
Here is what I have on my account with 365 game:

1st August 2011 at 21:27:52 £31.99 paid, awaiting release date

Mine says the same thing but I wouldn't sweat it. All these people who have had the game dispatched from zavvi are still going to be waiting a little bit for it and I much prefer the superior customer service I'm getting from 365. I've waited 2 years for this game...waiting a few more days isn't going to kill me.

creid

BlazingDarkness said:
Yeah, we need Kunihiko Tanaka back. Though looking at his page he contributed some illustrations to this game?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
creid said:
Yeah, we need Kunihiko Tanaka back. Though looking at his page he contributed some illustrations to this game?
One, it was a bonus for the Japanese release.

wrowa

It's funny how Monolith Soft has some really great artists (I don't think I have to mention what a genius Honne is), but how at the same time most of their character arts are craptacular.

weeaboo

wrowa said:
It's funny how Monolith Soft has some really great artists (I don't think I have to mention what a genius Honne is), but how at the same time most of their character arts are craptacular.

Honne must be really busy creating a new Baten Kaitos :D

wsippel

Banned
weeaboo said:
No, they're not. Judging by the art book, they're actually pretty well designed in my opinion. They simply didn't translate well.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
wrowa said:

Yasuyuki Honne, CHOCO (Koichi Mugitani), Kunihiko Tanaka, Soraya Saga, etc. :D

Though I think Honne is the only full time employee XD;

Sophia

wsippel said:
God no. His designs are even worse.

*grabs baseball bat*

Boy, ye best be watching what yeh say around these parts. There be some... unruly people around.

Tanaka's designs are awesome, but they don't translate well to model. His character art for Xenosaga and Xenogears is about ten thousand times better than what's in game.

RPGCrazied said:
Does Shulk get swim trunks? I'd rather see him in those, than that girl in a bikini. :p

Yup. I believe all the human-ish characters get those.

RPGCrazied said:
Can't be any worse than Vaan's abs, right? :p

Blech. What was the point?

And the Xenogears character art was fantastic. Much better than Xenosaga IMO. And Xenoblade, which feels kind of uninspired. But that amazing game world more than makes up for it.

RPGCrazied said:
Can't be any worse than Vaan's abs, right? :p

WINvU.jpg

I still have nightmares about Vaan's abs.

Top Bottom