• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Codeblue

Regarding the CCPro: Can't say that I've had that problem. I use mine for everything from Smash Bros. to PC gaming, and I haven't had that issue.

Those things have a three month warranty if you still have the receipt though, or a one year warranty if it came with your Wii, so you might send it in if it's still covered.

Edit: The e-mail most retailers are sending out suggest between one to three weeks if you're importing.

JudgeN

Corleth the Fey said:
It's like Resonance of Fate never happened. ;)

Or Demon Souls, hell we can probably go ahead and put Dark Souls out there too.

This game is getting put on a very big pedestal, the JP impressions made it sound "good" not OMFG amazing.

Still going to import but whats the best place to import from?

Nix

Banned
JudgeN said:

This game is getting put on a very big pedestal, the JP impressions made it sound "good" not OMFG amazing.

To be entirely fair, that's because it's coming to the Wii, and the only competition it has going for it are Tales of Symphonia:DoTNW (Fuck you haters), Arc Rise Fantasia, and the Last Story. You have to give the Wii-RPG demographic something man; this is their thing.

Also, it does look pretty good.

Nix said:
To be entirely fair, that's because it's coming to the Wii, and the only competition it has going for it are Tales of Symphonia:DoTNW (Fuck you haters), Arc Rise Fantasia, and the Last Story. You have to give the Wii-RPG demographic something man; this is their thing.

Also, it does look pretty good.

Thankfully this is not the baseline of the reviews we have so far.

Sophia

JudgeN said:

Not sure what impressions you read. This game deserves the pedestal it's been put on.

kiryogi

Banned
Marrshu said:
Not sure what impressions you read. This game deserves the pedestal it's been put on.
This. If anything IMO and many others, Xenoblade is THE best jrpg if not rpg even of this generation.

SOLDIER

Can someone help me? I've been installing all the necessary apps to get my Wii ready for Xenoblade; I installed the Homebrew Channel, Homebrew Browser, D2x and IOS236. The only issue I'm having is installing USB Loader.

On the GAF tutorial page, it says I need IOS248 to get USB Loader to work: http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader

But the only tutorial I found in the Wiki is to install IOS236, which I did: http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236

So how do I install 248 to get the USB Loader working?

Alternatively, the Wiki says I could easily install StartPatch with the IOS I already installed, which can also help you play region free: http://gwht.wikidot.com/avoid-disc-updates

But the wording also suggests this isn't as stable as USB Loader. Plus I wouldn't be able to install games to USB if I wanted to.

Can someone help me out?

UberTag

kiryogi said:
This. If anything IMO and many others, Xenoblade is THE best jrpg if not rpg even of this generation.
The only game that really compares is Persona 4 - which, is still technically last-gen despite coming out less than 3 years ago.

Codeblue

SOLDIER said:
Can someone help me? I've been installing all the necessary apps to get my Wii ready for Xenoblade; I installed the Homebrew Channel, Homebrew Browser, D2x and IOS236. The only issue I'm having is installing USB Loader.

On the GAF tutorial page, it says I need IOS248 to get USB Loader to work: http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader

But the only tutorial I found in the Wiki is to install IOS236, which I did: http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236

So how do I install 248 to get the USB Loader working?

Alternatively, the Wiki says I could easily install StartPatch with the IOS I already installed, which can also help you play region free: http://gwht.wikidot.com/avoid-disc-updates

But the wording also suggests this isn't as stable as USB Loader. Plus I wouldn't be able to install games to USB if I wanted to.

Can someone help me out?

You should ask in the Homebrew thread, since Clipper is more likely to see it there.

Dascu

Zavvi shipped my pre-order yesterday. Kinda busy with other games right now though, so maybe the occasional long delivery times can be a blessing.

Anyway, does the game try to install any firmware updates?

SOLDIER

Codeblue said:
You should ask in the Homebrew thread, since Clipper is more likely to see it there.

I actually figured it out, I copied the Meta file into the wrong folder. It works now.

The only question I have is: do I need to boot up USB Loader through the Homebrew Channel every time I want to start Xenoblade, or is there a way to just pop the disc in and boot it up the normal way (through the main menu of the Wii)?

kizmah

How is the game controlled with wiimote+nunchuck? Works or do I NEED to get the CCPro? I really don't want more plastic

SOLDIER

2 more questions:

1. Can you install Wii games onto a USB flash drive? How many GB is needed for Xenoblade for it to take advantage of USB Loader?

2. Is there a way to change that awful USB Loader theme, or at least disable the music?

Luigiv

SOLDIER said:
2 more questions:

1. Can you install Wii games onto a USB flash drive? How many GB is needed for Xenoblade for it to take advantage of USB Loader?

2. Is there a way to change that awful USB Loader theme, or at least disable the music?
1. You should be able to. As long as they're formatted the same, your Wii shouldn't actually be able to differentiate between a flash drive and an hdd. You'll need at least 8GBs though, possibly more.

2. Which USB Loader is that? ULoader? Give USB Loader GX a shot. It's theme is much more tasteful, though admitted the program can be unstable and glitchy. Configurable USB Loader also looks quite nice (with a lot of themes available) but I haven't actually tried it for myself, so I can't really comment on it for sure.

kiryogi

Banned
UberTag said:
The only game that really compares is Persona 4 - which, is still technically last-gen despite coming out less than 3 years ago.
Haha, like you said it's last gen. Although my opinion of best last gen was Ar Tornelico 2, with P4 close.

Franchuzas87 said:
Another one for the collection. :p

"No Japanese RPG has more successfully married its various components this hardware generation. It's a game that invites us to reassess an entire genre, pointing to a bold future while nodding its respect towards the past. It's a towering triumph."

Daante

Cube3 review:

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1024

10/10

- "On the presentation side, as already touched upon, Xenoblade excels considerably, with nearly no loading times to be found, and the few that are in there last only a couple of seconds. Monolith Soft has tweaked the game perfectly so that the sprawling landscape can be navigated without the need for constant loading screens, á la Monster Hunter tri."

- "Bringing so many composers for the total of 90 songs could have been a total disaster, but Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoko Shimomura, ACE+ and Manami Kiyota working together has created a stunningly eclectic selection of music that somehow manages to fit together perfectly from start to finish."

- "the main story can last up to 60 hours, even when rushing through"

- "Xenoblade Chronicles has arrived, bringing with it an sterling soundtrack, a phenomenal visual impact, vast amount of customisation, intriguing story and massive value for money. With it definitely proving itself to be of the highest calibre on Wii, it is time for RPG fans to take a stand and show their appreciation for this sublime classic."

legend166

Franchuzas87 said:

Best paragrah:

But with Xenoblade Chronicles, Takahashi demonstrates creative humility as he brings ambition in line with achievability and moves away from that reliance on cut-scene storytelling, which he recently described as a "creative dead-end". Make no mistake, Xenoblade Chronicles carries a grand narrative, played out by a cast of scores; but that plot is expressed as much in the game's mechanics and environment as it is cinematically.

jesusraz

Dascu said:
Anyway, does the game try to install any firmware updates?
Didn't do on my Euro Wii.

Thanks to those linking to my Cubed3 review, by the way :) I wonder if another 10 is going to appear or if websites are going to 'play it safe' with 9s despite calling it the best JRPG of this generation...

Chesskid1

Banned
since it hasn't been mentioned..

Rank. Title [Platform] - Average Score (# of Reviews)

01. Xenoblade [Wii] - 90 (67)
02. Demon's Souls [PS3] - 89 (149)
03. Fallout 3 [PS3/360] - 82 (139)
04. Devil Survivor [NDS] - 81 (110)
05. Valkyria Chronicles [PS3] - 81 (84)
06. Enchanted Arms [360] - 80 (105)
07. End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate) [PS3/360] - 80 (95)
08. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [PS3/360] - 79 (177)
09. It's A Wonderful World (The World Ends With You) [NDS] - 79 (156)
10. Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki [PSP] - 79 (54)
11. Tales of Vesperia [360] - 78 (198)
12. Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland [NDS] - 77 (74)

- Many of them have played the game for over 100 hours.
- The seamlessness of the game and general overworld design gets a lot of praise, along with the lack of load times and solid flow and pacing.

xenoblade is #1 on the top rpg of this generation at a big japanese gaming review aggregrate site.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422089

this is THE rpg of this generation.

edit: haven't heard much mention, barely no loading times. awesome.

kiryogi

Banned
They really just nail a lot of things right, aside from the gameplay and story. The mechanics all around are really approachable. Like being able to manipulate day/night anytime you'd like without any issues, save anywhere, no penalty death, warp to any check point ay any time and so on. A lot of great streamlining that's absolutely welcome in the genre.

On load times, I always played it off my hard drive, so I really can't say if it ever had issues with it or not.

Diffense

It's still a bit surreal to me that I'm having to import this game and hack my wii.
All the attempted rationalizations have many holes so I've had to reject them all.
I'm so thankful to the more sensible and visionary people in charge of NOE (Reggie is a follower).
Can't wait to play!

Luigiv

jesusraz said:
Regular Wii on the latest firmware.
Thought as much. I don't think I need to explain the obvious reason as to why it didn't ask you to update and why your response doesn't actually answer Dascu's question in any way.

Yagharek

My order with game UK is shipping soon apparently, so anyone with them will likely be at the same state.

Cannot wait for this one. Even better is knowing so little about it.

Fritz

Diffense said:
It's still a bit surreal to me that I'm having to import this game and hack my wii.
All the attempted rationalizations have many holes so I've had to reject them all.
I'm so thankful to the more sensible and visionary people in charge of NOE (Reggie is a follower).
Can't wait to play!

You kinda have to see it that way: importing pretty much doubles the excitement

kizmah

I repeat my question; How is the game controlled with wiimote+nunchuck? Works or do I NEED to get the CCPro? I really don't want more plastic. But I really do want this game and after all these amazing reviews I am sure to get it and add to the hopefully nice European salesnumbers.

kiryogi

Banned
hamzik said:
I repeat my question; How is the game controlled with wiimote+nunchuck? Works or do I NEED to get the CCPro? I really don't want more plastic. But I really do want this game and after all these amazing reviews I am sure to get it and add to the hopefully nice European salesnumbers.
I've answered this before. It works perfectly fine and personally my preferred choice. It's a pretty natural feel.

Aeana

hamzik said:
I played it with remote/nunchuck. I preferred it over the classic controller, personally.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
hamzik said:

It works absolutely fine, I never had any problems (but then I'm incredibly strange and actually ENJOY the wiimote. It feels nice because I can just relax my hands and have them lay in my lap while I play...) Perhaps someone who has played with both can tell you why one is superior to the other, but it IS completely playable without.

Chesskid1

Banned
you can spend 100+ hrs on this game, and the wiimote/nunchuk just doesn't feel that good to just chill out and play imo. classic controller is going hella cheap too.

plus it's pretty sweet to play games on basically an snes controller. i'm using the basic vers.

kiryogi

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
you can spend 100+ hrs on this game, and the wiimote/nunchuk just doesn't feel that good to just chill out and play imo. classic controller is going hella cheap too.

plus it's pretty sweet to play games on basically an snes controller. i'm using the basic vers.
See, I find it the opposite. Considering how free form you can be since it's separated like that. I found myself in many various relaxed positions all around.

Aeana

Chesskid1 said:

I find being able to separate my hands and put them in my lap infinitely more comfortable than holding a single controller.

kizmah

Thank you for your answers. Great to hear that Wiimote+nunchuck isn't gimped in any way (buttonwise). I love playing with that setup as the controller separation allows me to relax and play way more comfortably than any "classic" controller ever could.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Woo, got the shipping notice! It's on its way now. Looking forward to this one and finally getting a reason to dropkick the Tiny Tower addiction.

Top Bottom