• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

RPGCrazied

SecretMoblin said:
I was extremely wary about doing it, too. I just installed everything a two days ago. But I followed Clipper's guide and it works wonderfully. Plus, now that I've ripped my Wii games to a hard drive, they load faster.

If your only goal is to play an import copy of a game (like me), then it's safe, as long as you follow the directions carefully. If you have any questions, you should ask Clipper on this thread. Otherwise use the guide:

I do the HD thing too, so I never have to use my Disc Drive again, keeping my Wii going forever. :p

RPGCrazied

Since I can't use the code. I don't think? Isn't that how you get the Art Book if you live in France? Or is there a way from someone in US to get it? If not, might as well give it a way.

RPGCrazied said:
I do the HD thing too, so I never have to use my Disc Drive again, keeping my Wii going forever. :p

I was genuinely scared to do it at first, and every time my screen would go dark during the installation of the various files I would jump a little. But it's really amazing what some people have been able to do with the Wii.

Lord Ghirahim said:
I've reached Central Mine with my characters at level 18. Every little encounter is as stressful as a boss battle.

Oh boy.

But I should imagine that so soon in the game, it's only a matter of levelling up a little.

RPGCrazied

Isn't chaining mandatory? Maybe you don't have gems in your weapons? I don't know, never played the game.

Probably would be a good idea to be a few levels higher than what you are fighting.

Zwei

The Int3rsect said:
Just pulled the plug and decided to import from ASDA. This wait is going to kill me! :(

As opposed to waiting an eternity for NoA to finally get off their asses and localize something good? Nah, you'll be fine, bro.

CruxisMana said:
Oh boy.

But I should imagine that so soon in the game, it's only a matter of levelling up a little.

Never! I want to feel the pain. It does seem like leveling up is the fastest way to strengthen party member bonds though.

My copy of Xenoblade shipped from GAME! I'm surprised because I thought this game wasn't going to be released until the 19th.

My Wii's softmodded body is ready, so all I need to do is wait for however long it takes the game to ship to the US.

RPGCrazied

The next week or 2 is going to be painful. I don't have anything to play, and I can only do so much WoW. ;/

I think I hyped myself way to much for this game.

mclem

FreeMufasa said:
Wait.....there's a way to put my Wii games on a HD like the PS2? Awesome.

I own a lot of Wii games. The sheer process of dumping them all to disc took absolutely ages (and I *still* can't find Scarface!). But now it's done, it's just so convenient. Going to my parents for Christmas? Just take the HD, and I've got my entire Wii collection, without needing any actual discs.

I'm somewhat disappointed that a USB hard disc isn't quite fast enough to run PS2 software (I assume slower ports?), else I could travel extra-light while still having all the Singstars and Buzz handy for those family gaming evenings.

Zafir

I should really get an hard disk for it. I don't have enough games nor play the console enough to warrant it though.

Honestly, I was shocked at how much it reduces loading times. Even games that aren't known for their long loading times, like Zack & Wiki and DKC:R, run quickly and smoothly now.

And ripping the games to the HD takes a lot less time than I assumed it would take. It really is a win/win/win/win/win all around.

Aeana

Zafir said:
I should really get an hard disk for it. I don't have enough games nor play the console enough to warrant it though.
I just use a couple of SDHC cards because I'm too cheap to buy a hard drive. Works for me, although it does mean I have to reinstall any game I want to play when I want to play it. But that's okay since I only ever play one game at a time anyway.

Zafir

Aeana said:
I just use a couple of SDHC cards because I'm too cheap to buy a hard drive. Works for me, although it does mean I have to reinstall any game I want to play when I want to play it. But that's okay since I only ever play one game at a time anyway.
An interesting and much cheaper way, heh.

I may do that when I get some more money. (Buying Xenoblade, Deus Ex and a 3DS this month has bled me dry)

SecretMoblin said:
Honestly, I was shocked at how much it reduces loading times. Even games that aren't known for their long loading times, like Zack & Wiki and DKC:R, run quickly and smoothly now.
Yes, it not only affects obvious loading screens. You get a much nicer performance for just about everything that usually streams from the disc.
And the Wii itself turns basically inaudible.

Aeana said:
I use an 8gig USB flash drive I had lying around. Works perfectly, too.

wsippel

Banned
Lord Ghirahim said:
I've reached Central Mine with my characters at level 18. Every little encounter is as stressful as a boss battle.
You'll change your tune once you face the boss at the end of the mine. I fucking hated that guy so much. Took me ages. Then again, I played in Japanese and didn't quite understand what was going on.
Like Blackface, he's immune against the Monado - but you can't knock him down, either.

RPGCrazied

I think the game will be cake for me. I plan on fighting EVERYTHING I see on the map. Well, cept the obviously 50 or 60 levels ahead of you. :p

FreeMufasa

SecretMoblin said:

And ripping the games to the HD takes a lot less time than I assumed it would take. It really is a win/win/win/win/win all around.

That was my next question, good to hear.

Is it like the PS2 where I have to buy a specific type of HDD (PATA) or can I buy any old USB HDD?

RPGCrazied

LiK said:
waiting for a game from UK is gonna be killer. they always take like a week minimum. SIGH

I feel your pain brother. I'm way down south, so it'll probably be 2 weeks for me. I hope not any longer.

wsippel

Banned
FreeMufasa said:
That was my next question, good to hear.

Is it like the PS2 where I have to buy a specific type of HDD (PATA) or can I buy any old USB HDD?
Basically any USB mass storage device will do. Doesn't even have to be a HDD. Flash works as well.

RPGCrazied said:
I think the game will be cake for me. I plan on fighting EVERYTHING I see on the map. Well, cept the obviously 50 or 60 levels ahead of you. :p

Heh. That's exactly how I played Earthbound and Chrono Trigger back in the day, and it's how I played FFXII. If I see an enemy on the map - even if it's really out of the way - I must go fight it. No compromises.

FreeMufasa said:
I'm fairly certain any old USB HDD will work; mine is a cheapish one from a few years ago that I use to back up my PC. It can be formatted in NTFS (standard for Windows), and you don't even need to create a separate partition. It's great.

RPGCrazied

SecretMoblin said:
Heh. That's exactly how I played Earthbound and Chrono Trigger back in the day, and it's how I played FFXII. If I see an enemy on the map - even if it's really out of the way - I must go fight it. No compromises.

Well, what I played of the Japanese import, even the starting area, lots of critters around. :) Getting to 99hours is going to be so easy in this game.

Zafir

It's tragic, I don't even have a spare 8GB usb memory stick. All the ones I got free with CE's (Forza/Starcraft 2) are 2GB, and the one I used for work was 4GB.

LProtag

Shipped from GAME!

... Then Bank of America sent me an email about possible fraudulent activity on my debit card and I had to call them and they asked me if I did a transaction yesterday with a company called GAME from the UK, and I laughed and said "Yeah, I knew that was what this was about, that was me. Nothing wrong." Then she told me my card was a group of cards that had been compromised recently and she would have to deactivate my card immediately and send me a new one which would take a few days to arrive.

Funny how my bank couldn't have told me my card had been compromised before they thought there was fraudulent activity, even though that wasn't even fraudulent activity. Second time this has happened to me.

So at least the game is coming, but now I need to go to the bank and withdraw some money as I only have 15 bucks in my pocket and my card won't be here until probably the end of the week.

Zafir said:
It's tragic, I don't even have a spare 8GB usb memory stick. All the ones I got free with CE's (Forza/Starcraft 2) are 2GB, and the one I used for work was 4GB.
It's not that tragic considering how dirt cheap 8GB sticks are. :p

I was just listening to the latest 8-4 Play podcast and Brendon said he's 75 hours in and doesn't think he's close to the end. He also said he's tired of the game (!!!) and doesn't really feel like going back to it.

For me, the longer the better. I can understand why reviewers and some players enjoy short(er) games, but like my RPGs loooooong.

RPGCrazied

SecretMoblin said:
I was just listening to the latest 8-4 Play podcast and Brendon said he's 75 hours in and doesn't think he's close to the end. He also said he's tired of the game (!!!) and doesn't really feel like going back to it.

For me, the longer the better. I can understand why reviewers and some players enjoy short(er) games, but like my RPGs loooooong.

I like you! But yeah. RPG's are my main genre, specially jRPG's. I feel the same way about longer the better. I'd rather spend $50 - $60 on a 100hour game, than say the same amount for an 8hour game. Plus RPG's is like reading a great novel or watching an epic movie.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Zafir said:
So, just play off the disc as usual? This is one of the games that I imagine benefits the least from an install, since there are few loading times and such to lessen...

Zafir

Alextended said:
So, just play off the disc as usual? This is one of the games that I imagine benefits the least from an install, since there are few loading times and such to lessen...
Oh I will be, I'm just saying that it's surprising I don't have one.

SecretMoblin said:

75 hours ... *drools* cant wait.

MechaX

Just got the dispatch email from Shopto. When I ordered Last Window from them it took exactly a week for it to get here (I'm in the US Midwest). Hopefully it'll take roughly that time for Xenoblade to get here.

And now I need to mod my Wii without it exploding/bricking.

UberTag

In a perfect world our GAME orders would all arrive by Friday.
Realistically, I'm not expecting anything until early next week.

MechaX said:
Just got the dispatch email from Shopto. When I ordered Last Window from them it took exactly a week for it to get here (I'm in the US Midwest). Hopefully it'll take roughly that time for Xenoblade to get here.

And now I need to mod my Wii without it exploding/bricking.
It won't break unless you don't follow the Wiki. It took me 5 minutes and I had it installed.

Hi guys
I want to buy a Wii for/and Xenoblade.
I am marginally interested in Mario Kart, not interested in Wii Sports, would enjoy a classic controller but this is not a must and live in the UK. Do you know any good deal? What are my best options?

UberTag said:
In a perfect world our GAME orders would all arrive by Friday.
Realistically, I'm not expecting anything until early next week.
I would love to have it by Friday. But I'm assuming it will arrive the same day Deus Ex comes out next week... But can I really complain about that? These are good problems to have in life.

Top Bottom