• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Aeana

Chesskid1 said:
isn't level up some more always the solution? :p
Apparently it's the solution most people always think of first when they're having trouble in an RPG, even when a change of tactics would have sufficed. Then they go off and shout about how such and such game requires too much grinding.

Aeana said:
Apparently it's the solution most people always think of first when they're having trouble in an RPG, even when a change of tactics would have sufficed. Then they go off and shout about how such and such game requires too much grinding.

Yes.

To all of this.

I'm a long-time Dragon Quest fan.

squall23

Yeah, nobody said you didn't have to grind. Even if it's just a little bit if all you're doing is story. Even in the middle of the game if a boss is 6 or 7 levels higher than you are, you will have problems.

wrowa

slaughterking said:
Haha, there's no such news on the German NoE site. Between all the artbooks, posters, steelbooks and now the OST we come away completely empty-handed.
If we don't even get a f'ing download, I'll be really infuriated. :[

Zafir

Somewhat disappointed that the artbook is France only. After getting the Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive, it's made me hunger for more.

LProtag

The gem system seems pretty interesting. Hopefully it's not too hard to get a grasp on and you can't really screw anything up.

InsertNameHere said:
The gem system seems pretty interesting. Hopefully it's not too hard to get a grasp on and you can't really screw anything up.

Yeah, I think it looks great, but I can't stand all the things they yell at each other during crafting like"AWESOME!" :p

Zafir

Kinda worrying that my Wii might not be able to play Xenoblade since it's dual layered. What exactly is on the second layer of Super Smash Bros Brawl? I own the game, but I'm not that far in it so I dunno whether I'd be able to use it to test whether my lens is fine...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zafir said:
Kinda worrying that my Wii might not be able to play Xenoblade since it's dual layered. What exactly is on the second layer of Super Smash Bros Brawl? I own the game, but I'm not that far in it so I dunno whether I'd be able to use it to test whether my lens is fine...
The Brawl problem showed up immediately in the Wiis of both of my friends that it happened to.

RPGCrazied

Corleth the Fey said:
So.... have you played it or not?

Sorta, not really. Friend of mine has it. Tinkered around for an hour or so. Without knowing what was going on, I didn't want to play all that long.

I didn't mean to post that many times in this thread, but yes I'm excitied. :p

Zafir said:

Try the Subspace Emissary. Some of the videos (and data, I think) are stored on the extra layer.

vitacola

wrowa said:
If we don't even get a f'ing download, I'll be really infuriated. :[
Hey, we have got an interview with Diana Eichhorn (!!!) instead. 10000000 times better than any download or even a cheap artbook!
:(

Peagles

Xenoblade with super red controller shipped just now from GAME, I am excited!

But I probably won't have time to play it until November or so :/

RPGCrazied

Codeblue said:
He always gets like this. Were you there during the Tales of Graces announcement trainwreck? He about exploded. He certainly has earned his name.

Edit: that barroth avatar is awesome.

Who is barroth?

RPGCrazied

Oh. I thought you were talking about mine. Which is suppose to be Shulk. Not enough Art out there for many to be made. Someone on GAF made this for me.

Varion

Lord Ghirahim said:
OH GOD HOW DO I BEAT ZORD
FILLING UP THE GAUGE TOOK FOREVER
AND THEN HE TOOK SO LITTLE DAMAGE WHAT THE HELL
OH GOD
Oh god that boss isn't even funny.

Don't know what level you are, though looking on one of the Japanese guide wikis they seem to recommend about L25. I seem to remember just grinding on the last bunch of enemies before the boss for a while and then taking him on again.
Thankfully you don't have to chip off all his health (more like a fifth to a quarter) before the fight ends, but surviving sure isn't easy. At least the game basically tells you the strategy to win, it's just actually doing it.

Can't remember another mandatory boss in the game that gave me as much trouble as that one did.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
InsertNameHere said:
Shipped from GAME!

... Then Bank of America sent me an email about possible fraudulent activity on my debit card and I had to call them and they asked me if I did a transaction yesterday with a company called GAME from the UK, and I laughed and said "Yeah, I knew that was what this was about, that was me. Nothing wrong." Then she told me my card was a group of cards that had been compromised recently and she would have to deactivate my card immediately and send me a new one which would take a few days to arrive.

Funny how my bank couldn't have told me my card had been compromised before they thought there was fraudulent activity, even though that wasn't even fraudulent activity. Second time this has happened to me.

So at least the game is coming, but now I need to go to the bank and withdraw some money as I only have 15 bucks in my pocket and my card won't be here until probably the end of the week.
Ha, I had Bank of America call me about possible fraudulent activity because of my GAME order, too.

After they asked me about a couple of charges (including that one) they just reactivated my debit card, so I guess I'm not otherwise compromised.

Anyway, my GAME order dispatched this morning. Excite.

LProtag

MetatronM said:
Ha, I had Bank of America call me about possible fraudulent activity because of my GAME order, too.

After they asked me about a couple of charges (including that one) they just reactivated my debit card, so I guess I'm not otherwise compromised.

Anyway, my GAME order dispatched this morning. Excite.

Ah, so I guess it got compromised some other way and they just didn't assume everyone who ordered this game was compromised, haha.

Still kinda weird they would wait until something suspicious comes up to tell me.

Zafir

SecretMoblin said:
Try the Subspace Emissary. Some of the videos (and data, I think) are stored on the extra layer.
Anything specific? Did a Samus and Pikachu level(was where I got up to in the story before) and the videos were fine.

Varion said:
Thankfully you don't have to chip off all his health (more like a fifth to a quarter) before the fight ends, but surviving sure isn't easy. At least the game basically tells you the strategy to win, it's just actually doing it.

:O
I guess I was much closer to winning than I thought... I think I lost the will to go on when I saw how little I hurt him with my first chain.
I'll give it a few more tries before I resort to leveling up then.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Whoo the game is coming to me! Now for them to release The Last Story so I can get that also!

Any other UK games I should look into importing for my Wii?

wrowa

lsslave said:
Whoo the game is coming to me! Now for them to release The Last Story so I can get that also!

Any other UK games I should look into importing for my Wii?
Disaster: Day of Crisis and Another Code: R might be worth looking into.

SecretMoblin said:
I think (I'm too lazy to check) that it's called the "Heartflask" side quest... I know you get it from that guy in the Nihal Desert in the secret cave. I remember it taking a long time but not being very difficult at all.

You don't need a save from the first BK to do that quest (I should know, I did it before I played the first one).

Neon_Icarus said:
True.

This is a bit off topic, but it would be nice to hear an opinion from someone who played through Origins, but has no experience with the first one. I always feel like recommending Origins to people, but it's hard to say if playing through the first game affects critically on how much you get out of Origins.

I don't feel like telling people they should sit through a merely "good" game in order to play another.

I played Origins first and it blew me away after avoiding the series for a while. One of my favorite games of all time. The first isn't all that good, worse story/characters/battles (too slow compared to Origins).

If this game didn't remind me so much of Final Fantasy XII, I'd probably buy it. But it does. So I won't.

I miss the JRPG's of the Playstation era, particularly the Final Fantasy's, because of the way they were able to express an epic narrative, but contain it with enough intimacy and detail in the individual towns and dungeons to make it feel balanced. I think a big part of it was the pre-rendered backgrounds used at the time. Everytime I see screenshots or videos of Xenoblade, I see these characters running around these wide-open vistas that just look empty of character. It instantly takes me back to XII and I start to get the shakes again. I'm really game for a JRPG right now, especially one on a console that's been long neglected by yours truly as of late, but this one, despite the rave reviews, just isn't it for me. A current-gen JRPG in the same mold as VII/VIII/IX or even X would go down a treat right about now.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Aeana said:

I can hear that, I just beat Dragon Quest IV (First time through it, 2nd cleared DQ after I did V!) at level 32-33 for my party. The final battle had me on the edge of my seat, barely got through it and was running low on MP so it couldn't have lasted much longer.

After I finished it I checked a guide (Walkthrough free when I play games) to find out if my strategy was good and discovered I was lower than recommended for the final battle.

Every time I play the game from this point on I will be overlevelled since I won't be in a rush to clear it, my first time through I love the need for strategy in an RPG. Every Final Fantasy game, and now the DQ games I always put so much emphasis on the strategy I am using.

Too bad any game with AI parties (ARPGs...) ruin the ability to strategize that well :(

Zafir

Hmm, played the next stage as well and that seems fine, going to take that as a "it works". Getting a bit sick of SSBB story levels...

Just noticed that I never redeemed my SSBB club nintendo code, hah. Should probably do it soon, runs out at the end of the year.

As for BK Origins. I heard of some problems when playing it using loaders to get round region locking as it would occasionally give errors, any idea whether that's fixed?

Acquiescence said:
I haven't. It's long been on my radar though. I guess I should seek it out huh.

Based on what you're looking for I don't think any game fits your criteria half as well as Lost Odyssey.

And it is a fantastic game. The short 'A Thousand Years of Dreams' stories are fantastic and I'm not ashamed to say are the only time I've been close to shedding a tear to a game.

MicH

Am I the only one who thinks that the characters run so awkward? It looks so weird! But I guess the character animation all in all is kind of.. wonky :p

Murkas

Are so many Americans importing from GAME that the banks think there is an I.D. theft crisis going on? I find that funny.

NoA should hear about this.....and then say no anyway.

Poor Americans, now you know how Europeon Atlus fans feel :(

Edit: +1 for Barroth avatar love.

RPGCrazied

Post your setup your going to be rocking this game on. :)

Heres mine.

Sorry for the bright TV screen, shit cam. Wish I still had my old CRT for my Wii though. :(

Picture603.jpg

I have that exact same Samsung TV at my Uni flat.

Since I'm at home at the moment I'm stuck using the enormous TV in the front room, which is currently playing host to my Wii, 360 and PS2.

Top Bottom