• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

RPGCrazied

Aw. I just noticed the Japan version uses the American type clock. I'm sure I'll get use to it, but hate military time in general.

RPGCrazied said:
Aw. I just noticed the Japan version uses the American type clock. I'm sure I'll get use to it, but hate military time in general.

I used to loathe military time... until I went to Germany and saw how easy it made things. After doing the "subtract 12" thing for a few days it becomes very simple. All my portable devices are on a 24-hour clock.

UberTag said:
In a perfect world our GAME orders would all arrive by Friday.
Realistically, I'm not expecting anything until early next week.
at least you might get it this week lol.

importers am cry

but ASDA shipped out the game already. blazingdarkness got his today (he preordered last week LOL)
so i assume that my game is mostly on a plane. 3 days at random facilities. monday is what i'm hoping.

All this talk of homebrew this and hard drive that makes me feel like I feel through a time warp back to 08/09 or something. Exciting times those were checking particular websites for the latest great breakthrough and who was going to do what next and of course the shockwaves it would send through message boards when Nintendo would release a system update.

Anyway I wonder who will be the first person to post the case/disc

I have to agree with the sentiment that I like RPGs long. 50, 70, 100 hours is no deterrent. I'm glad that Xenoblade is as good as good as it is. I was starting to feel like Final Fantasy X in 2001 was the end of an era that had begun since the late 80s. Hopefully Xenoblade is not a delayed swan song and more JRPGs of its caliber are on the way even if the pace at which they used to come out is never matched again. I know that after I complete Xenoblade I will get that strange feeling of being separated from characters that I grew attached to over the past so many hours. I know I can't be the only one who has delayed fighting the end game boss just to be in the world for a little while longer. Or at least in days gone by when life was less complicated, the summer felt like it lasted forever and the anticipation of the holiday season was madness. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time even if for only a day at a time.

I'm very happy with the reviews for this, I expected a decent reception but nothing of this caliber... and the last great JRPG was when exactly? It seemed to have landed on the console I least expected.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
at least you might get it this week lol.

importers am cry

but ASDA shipped out the game already. blazingdarkness got his today (he preordered last week LOL)
so i assume that my game is mostly on a plane. 3 days at random facilities. monday is what i'm hoping.

I hope they packed it good, or I fear the condition its in. Though I have a spare case for it, so if thats the only thing damaged, I'm good.

King of the Potato People said:
I'm very happy with the reviews for this, I expected a decent reception but nothing of this caliber... and the last great JRPG was when exactly? It seemed to have landed on the console I least expected.

If we're talking consoles (and not the huge number of spectacular portable games), the last great JRPG was Demon's Souls. And it was genuinely great.

And Xenoblade proves that it's not the console that makes a game worthwhile.

dani_dc

Asking stores around, they don't even know when they'll get the game even though it's coming out this week. Much less about any promotional posters.
I'll check stores tomorrow and thursday since a few stores around here usually get Nintendo games a day or two earlier.

So do we know if the soundtrack that will be available for download will be the full (4 discs) OST or a smaller selection of tracks?

RPGCrazied

dani_dc said:
Asking stores around they don't even know when they'll get the game even though it's coming out this week. Much less about any promotional posters.
I'll check stores tomorrow and thursday since a few stores around here usually get Nintendo games a day or two earlier.

So do we know if the soundtrack that will be available for download will be the full (4 discs) OST or a smaller selection of tracks?

From gamefaqs:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...s_play_videos_and_soundtrack_offer_44316.html

Club Nintendo members are also in for a treat, as those who register their copy of the game before 30th September will for a limited time be able to download the game’s official soundtrack from the Treasures section of their Club Nintendo account.

RPGCrazied said:
I hope they packed it good, or I fear the condition its in. Though I have a spare case for it, so if thats the only thing damaged, I'm good.
is it that bad when importing from uk? lol with play-asia i had no problem with FFXIII and the soundtrack lol.

RPGCrazied

Whats the reverse cover look like? Any pics of it?

DMPrince said:
is it that bad when importing from uk? lol with play-asia i had no problem with FFXIII and the soundtrack lol.

Dunno. First time ordering overseas. Its going to be in many trucks to even get here, who knows who will kick or throw it around. :(

dani_dc

RPGCrazied said:
From gamefaqs:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...s_play_videos_and_soundtrack_offer_44316.html

Club Nintendo members are also in for a treat, as those who register their copy of the game before 30th September will for a limited time be able to download the game’s official soundtrack from the Treasures section of their Club Nintendo account.
Yeah I saw that.
I was wondering if we know if we're getting the full 91 tracks OST or a smaller OST with a selection of tracks. It's not unusual for companies to say we'll get an OST and then the OST is just a smaller selection of 10~15 tracks.
Though from your reply I suppose that means that that particular announcement is all we have.

creid

RPGCrazied

No idea. I'm not European. I get nothing cool, no posters, no steel case, just the game. I guess it could be worse and not get to play it at all.

Neil

Don't forget to add Xenoblade to your Stars Bonus (and don't register your points until on or after release day else you won't get the extra points!)

dani_dc

creid said:
Do you need a European address to sign up for a Euro CN account?

Edit: That was a dumb question.

Well even if you are required one, you can just put a random address and download the soundtrack.

RPGCrazied said:
Other than eBay, where can you buy the 4disc set? I might bite.
I posted the link above, but you can order it from play-asia or yesasia though neither of them have the OST in stock at the moment.
Ordered a few other soundtracks from play-asia a few weeks ago and they got here in perfect condition (I choose for them to be shipped in a box instead of a air bubble envelope though).

After reading through a few reviews I have to say it really sucks us Americans aren't getting this...

What is GAF's thoughts on it so far, how does it fare compared to other JRPG's?

TheExplodingHead said:
After reading through a few reviews I have to say it really sucks us Americans aren't getting this...

What is GAF's thoughts on it so far, how does it fare compared to other JRPG's?

Well, here is the thread for the original Japanese release. Lots of impressions there. Generally, though, opinions on the game (both here and elsewhere) range from "very good" to "great".

RPGCrazied

Well, people are saying its the best jRPG this gen. Not saying much, cause we only got a handful of good ones. Tales of Versperia being the stand out one to me.

wsippel said:
You'll change your tune once you face the boss at the end of the mine. I fucking hated that guy so much. Took me ages. Then again, I played in Japanese and didn't quite understand what was going on.
Like Blackface, he's immune against the Monado - but you can't knock him down, either.

Yeah, I just reached the bottom and I'm about to fight 褐のゾード, I think this will take a while...
edit: fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
RPGCrazied said:
Well, people are saying its the best jRPG this gen. Not saying much, cause we only got a handful of good ones. Tales of Versperia being the stand out one to me.

Pretty much. Third on consoles for me is Lost Odyssey, which last generation would have been considered average.

RPGCrazied said:
From gamefaqs:

Haha, there's no such news on the German NoE site. Between all the artbooks, posters, steelbooks and now the OST we come away completely empty-handed.

cdjapan is another place to get the CD. Also doesn't seem to be in immediate stock.

dani_dc said:
or a smaller OST with a selection of tracks. It's not unusual for companies to say we'll get an OST and then the OST is just a smaller selection of 10~15 tracks.
I'm getting flashbacks to the Baten Kaitos "Soundtrack", I think the US got a 7 track CD (pre-order bonus?) while Europeans could spend way too many stars on an 8 track one.

If the Club Nintendo download turns out to be missing lots of files I'll just grab the files off the game disc (apparently they are in ADX and similar extensions).

Still it sure is nice for Club Nintendo treasures to actually return (it used to be when you registered a game you would get treasures that were generally a couple of wallpapers) and the September 30th deadline kind of suggests they understand that people might be importing and register anyway (not that they can claim any rewards...well the wallpapers but probably not the ringtones)

CruxisMana said:
I've registered for Club Nintendo, but it keeps telling me I have an invalid login...
Maybe you have to sign a confirmation e-mail before the account is activated. Another thing to do is clear your cookies or cache.

Anyone knows if the soundtrack download is for al EU countries or just the UK? I live in Belgium and there isn't an anouncement on nintendo.be :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You could probably register the game on the UK Club Nintendo if you wanted... There's no Club Nintendo in my country but that works for me and I get stars and such. Though I never got anything beyond a point card, they always expired before I got too many... I imagine I'd have trouble redeeming physical goods.

But yeah, try that if you don't mind missing a few stars from your main Club account.

Starwolf_UK said:
Maybe you have to sign a confirmation e-mail before the account is activated. Another thing to do is clear your cookies or cache.

I did that.

I even requested a new password and I'm using the same username and password that they provided in that email and it still says it's invalid...

Zafir

Out_Of_Ammo said:
Thx but that is only on the french version of the Belgian site :p I live in Flanders (Dutch speaking) and it's not on that site. But if it's on there, I guess we'll get it too :)
Yeah, I can't see why the other half of the country wouldn't get it. They probably just didn't bother translating it yet or something.

RPGCrazied said:
Isn't chaining mandatory? Maybe you don't have gems in your weapons? I don't know, never played the game.

Well, what I played of the Japanese import, even the starting area, lots of critters around. :) Getting to 99hours is going to be so easy in this game.
So.... have you played it or not?

Nix

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
Pretty much. Third on consoles for me is Lost Odyssey, which last generation would have been considered average.

I...am not quite sure what to make of this statement.

Does your list go into the negatives or..?

Waiting quietly for my copy to ship* (Europeans....)

Zafir

Neogamma or Gecko OS is what I tend to use.

Edit: Mind you the GAF guide doesn't have Neogamma listed, so you may as well just use Gecko OS.

CruxisMana said:
I even requested a new password and I'm using the same username and password that they provided in that email and it still says it's invalid...

Yup...

It asks for your email address not your username...

Total idiot moment.

jesusraz

Starwolf_UK said:
Did NOE ever release any English screenshots in the end, I forgot. So the Monado screenshots are the most easily accessed for press.
I'm not sure, to be honest. I'll check the assets site later to see if there are more up-to-date ones.

Ah well, at least people are only criticising the screens used, not my actual review...although it seems some prefer EG's use of fancy words ;)

I'm not the only one to give it 10/10, at least. Here's N Europe's review conclusion:

Monolith provides the biggest and most ambitious game on Wii by a long-shot. Xenoblade Chronicles reignites the JRPG and adventure genres in one classy swoop; that this grandiose spectacle is under the banner of Nintendo is the cherry on top.

(didn't know the site was banned here!)

Top Bottom