• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

JJD

Damn, I'm at the
heart of the Bionis fighting Disciple Aihtirol (Kallian and Lorithia uber telethia
and getting my ass handed to me. This is so unfair. I didn't have trouble with any fights up until now, and this guy keeps summoning elementals as soon as I kill then. WTF!!! Talk about an unfair difficulty spike! Any help please??? I'm so burn out on the game...I don't really want to grind levels and quests anymore...I just want to finish the game...

I'm lvl. 74 by the way...

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Question about leveling spots:

Which is the best place to grind if my party is at level 80?

Also, are there any artes that Dunban must be using if he's in my team tanking via AI?

McNum

JJD said:
Damn, I'm at the
heart of the Bionis fighting Disciple Aihtirol (Kallian and Lorithia uber telethia
and getting my ass handed to me. This is so unfair. I didn't have trouble with any fights up until now, and this guy keeps summoning elementals as soon as I kill then. WTF!!! Talk about an unfair difficulty spike! Any help please??? I'm so burn out on the game...I don't really want to grind levels and quests anymore...I just want to finish the game...

I'm lvl. 74 by the way...
Ah, yes. THAT boss. It IS a difficulty spike, but there are a few things you can do to make life easier.

(Late game spoilers)
She resists physical attacks by a lot, so that won't do you much good to try. But she has little to no Ether resistance, so enter Melia. And Riki or Fiora. If you got the Monado Armour art, now's a good time to use it, but otherwise have Shulk sit this one out in favor of Ether damage. If you got Armour, I'd go with Shulk/Melia/Sharla. If you don't, swap out Shulk for Fiora, and equip some Ether arts. You might want to control Melia in that team, as you can do a lot of damage with her, more than the AI will. Also, learn party commands, because they WILL run into the Ether and take damage if you don't do something about that. The "Come to me!" command at zR2+Down is great in this fight.

Finally, if you have Ether Protect Gems, use them. If you don't, make some. HP gems are also nice, especially on Melia since she'll get a lot of aggro, but can't really take the hits.

But if all else fails, get a couple of levels. This is one of those bosses you REALLY don't want to be more than a few levels below. On the bright side, it's the, relative to your level, hardest boss in the game. At least it was for me.

Laughing Banana said:
If you do not want to overpower him by leveling, the only way to win is using Monado Purge as much as you possibly can, so do not leave Shulk to the AI but make him the lead. Sharla is a must if you wish to have a battle of attrition against him.

Also, just a reminder: lure the Breezy Xolos away from its first original location before you fight it. If you cannot defeat it fast enough, you WILL have a level 90-ish T-Rex joining in the fight since the original location of Breezy Xolos is on the T-Rex's patrolling path.

Oh holy crap. I'd forgotten about having to purge some enemies. What's the easy way to tell if something needs purged?

Yeah, I figured about luring him away after my first time fighting him. Got smashed by the t-rex.

JJD

McNum said:
Ah, yes. THAT boss. It IS a difficulty spike, but there are a few things you can do to make life easier.

(Late game spoilers)
She resists physical attacks by a lot, so that won't do you much good to try. But she has little to no Ether resistance, so enter Melia. And Riki or Fiora. If you got the Monado Armour art, now's a good time to use it, but otherwise have Shulk sit this one out in favor of Ether damage. If you got Armour, I'd go with Shulk/Melia/Sharla. If you don't, swap out Shulk for Fiora, and equip some Ether arts. You might want to control Melia in that team, as you can do a lot of damage with her, more than the AI will. Also, learn party commands, because they WILL run into the Ether and take damage if you don't do something about that. The "Come to me!" command at zR2+Down is great in this fight.

Finally, if you have Ether Protect Gems, use them. If you don't, make some. HP gems are also nice, especially on Melia since she'll get a lot of aggro, but can't really take the hits.

But if all else fails, get a couple of levels. This is one of those bosses you REALLY don't want to be more than a few levels below. On the bright side, it's the, relative to your level, hardest boss in the game. At least it was for me.

Thanks for the tips friend, I managed to beat her! :)

Now I', having trouble with
that dragon king at prison island
. Really, what's the logic in spike damage? It's the most stupid thing in the entire game!

Witchfinder General said:
Question about leveling spots:

Which is the best place to grind if my party is at level 80?

Also, are there any artes that Dunban must be using if he's in my team tanking via AI?
Eryth Sea on the coasts,
the telethia, Alcamoth,
, Bionis' Leg under the bridge with all the hoxes/gogols. Also,
Tephra Cave
has some great, surprisingly tough enemies around that level.

PigSpeakers said:
Oh holy crap. I'd forgotten about having to purge some enemies. What's the easy way to tell if something needs purged?
Generally you want to focus on purge if the enemy has an "automatic" attack; many enemies have Spike damage or inflict status ailments when you hit them or they hit you, and purge negates that. It's mostly useful against Spike damage if you can't be bothered with Spike gems.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
JJD said:
Thanks for the tips friend, I managed to beat her! :)

Now I', having trouble with
that dragon king at prison island
. Really, what's the logic in spike damage? It's the most stupid thing in the entire game!

Well, spike effects can be easily countered so no worries. And besides spike damage effects are not that annoying compared to spike daze/topple effects and especially spike instant death effects, hahaha.

Monado's Purge, Melia's Mind Blast, Gems..... all can be easily used to counter them :)

JJD

Laughing Banana said:
Well, spike effects can be easily countered so no worries. And besides spike damage effects are not that annoying compared to spike daze/topple effects and especially spike instant death effects, hahaha.

Monado's Purge, Melia's Mind Blast, Gems..... all can be easily used to counter them :)

Yeah, I exchanged
Fiora
for Sharla and easily beat him spamming purge...almost on the last boss now, finally...

The English voices are so much better than the Japanese ones that it isn't even funny. JPN Dunban and Reyn just doesn't compare, not even remotely close.

I will say that JPN Fiora's jumping sounds are funny as fuck though. Sounds like she's constantly in labour
01laugh.gif

Zornica

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
The English voices are so much better than the Japanese ones that it isn't even funny. JPN Dunban and Reyn just doesn't compare, not even remotely close.

I will say that JPN Fiora's jumping sounds are funny as fuck though. Sounds like she's constantly in labour
01laugh.gif
Oo

5845303_orig.jpg

you better watch your back, vegeta is coming after you :p

JJD

Finally finished the game, the final boss was a push over...didn't give me any trouble at all!

I started skipping side quests as soon as I reached Sword Valley as I was getting burn up on the game...and it still took some time to finish it! Before Sword Valley I did pretty much everything.

The game itself isn't that huge, it's big, sure, but the problem is that most, if not all side quests are just filler content, and take a lot, a lot of time. They're just a way to get some exp. and money, as there was no character or story development at all on the side quests. It is undoubtly the weakest part of the game, and overall it took some of the fun away.

The graphics are OK, I never though I would say that but it seems I am a graphics whore after all. As amazing as the immense world is, and the huge draw distance availiable, you usually can't see enemies until you're almost on top of then. I wish I could have played it on Dolphin as the higher resolution seems to have done wonders for the game's graphics. I now understand what PC gamers feel when they play PS3 and 360 games.

The story wasn't that good, but it wasn't stupid like FFXIII. It's obvious that the characters, world and settings were created with much care...still, Xenogears world and story and setting are much, much better IMO, even with all the second CD bullshit.

In the end Xenoblade is probably the best JRPG of this generation yet. Unfortunately this doesn't mean much as this generation sucked in regards to that genre. I'm hoping The Last Story is better, we'll see.

I guess if I was in my 15, 16y I would have loved this game. But right now, it's just a nice RPG I'm glad I've finished...

I'm interested in whatever Monolith does in the WiiU. I believe their best game is still ahead of then.

JJD

Laughing Banana said:
Hahaha you might want to spoiler that my friend :)

Shit, shit, shit!!! I'm sorry man! I was rushing to finish the game and forgot to spoiler tag that!!! I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone... :-(

It was a nice surprise to see her back!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Laughing Banana said:

Not sure about Mind Blast, gems should do it, but purge does NOT remove the spikes from that enemy unless he happens to have some resistance to it. I tried three or four times and the spike damage never ceased. Managed to beat it anyway without any spike defense, but it was a mess of a fight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Level 75 boss

People had THAT much trouble on this fight with Lorithia? To be fair, I am a fair bit overleveled from all the sidequesting I did between the time I entered Bionis Interior and the time I finally decided to actually go do the boss fight, but the fight probably would have been roughly the same even if I was a few levels lower. And that was with me completely forgetting to change from my A team to a more ether-oriented team, so I went in with my normal Shulk/Riki/Fiora team. I can see this fight being really hard at level 72 or lower, though. 74 and up seems like it shouldn't have any real problems even without an optimized team.

The earliest part of the battle was by far the hardest as I tried to figure out a strategy and Fiora went down early, mainly due to carelessness and not calling her out of the green goo quickly enough. I desperately tried to build up my party meter before Shulk went down, which Riki succeeded in doing at the exact same time that Shulk was KO'd. Go magnificent Heropon! Riki weathered the storm for a moment, came over and woke me up, and then I put on Monado Armour to make sure we stayed alive long enough, built up the party meter again, and got Fiora back up, and from there it was honestly pretty smooth sailing. Settled into a strategy, realized as long as I kept my cool and mostly stayed away from the elementals and ether traps that I wouldn't go down again, and took over control of the battle.

I pretty much ignored the elementals for most of the fight, only really attacking them when they got too close, and even then only with AOE attacks. This seems to really be the only thing that levels would have a huge impact on in this fight, as the elementals are aggro but only level 72. So if you're level 72 or lower, Lorithia is going to control the pace of the fight. If you're above that, you can better dictate the flow of the battle.

Monado Arts were clutch in this fight. Armour and Shield had their obvious normal uses, and Cyclone was great for crowd control and just being good ol' ether damage, but also one that seemed to have a huge impact was Monado Eater. By the time you get deep into the fight Lorithia has all kinds of buffs on her thanks to her elementals, so I figured I'd do a test and see if Eater would wipe them all out. Sure enough, all those buffs went away and she was left bleeding. The last third of her health came off shockingly quickly after I hit her with Eater.

So another victory for my Shulk/Riki/Fiora god squad.

MOAR SIDEQUESTING!!!!!1 and the final boss remain! Feels good, man.

Jintor

You spoiled it for me JJD, but I'd pretty much guessed it anyway. :T

I'm not having luck not accidentally spoilering bits and pieces of this game for myself, but then again I suppose I am already 35 or so hours in and slogging it through...

The Makna forests are really terrible for my framerate though, drops from about 28 to 20 fps according to Dolphin. Any tips on config options?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
chaosblade said:
Not sure about Mind Blast, gems should do it, but purge does NOT remove the spikes from that enemy unless he happens to have some resistance to it. I tried three or four times and the spike damage never ceased. Managed to beat it anyway without any spike defense, but it was a mess of a fight.

What? Monado Purge really does remove spike effect--although only for 11-13 seconds tops at its most maximum level (which is a very, very short time)--so you need to reapply it pretty much constantly during the fight. I can attest this when fighting Breezy Xelos and that one unique that looks exactly like it in Eryth Sea.

Jintor said:
Wait one fucking second. Is Colony 9 seriously placed below the Bionis's... posterior?
No, it's on its shin, if I recall correctly. There's an image I saw once (and I'm too lazy to look for it now) where you can actually see Colony 9 from a spot on the Bionis' Leg.

Hiltz

I'm not sure if it was posted before, but I stumbled upon this archive of official Xenoblade concept art while looking through Deviantart. There's a nice picture of Rikki smiling inbetween Melia with another character wearing bikinis. There's obviously spoiler stuff in here including storyboard/cut scene, environmental, equipment, and npc drawings so it may not be wise to look through it unless you've finished the game.

http://www.godsibb.net/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/xenoblade_archives/

I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the game and I still haven't figured out how to even start the colony 6 building sidequest. When I speak to Juju he tells me where to get one of the items needed and to ask other people in the colony for the others but I've spoken to every single person at every time of the day and all I get are other sidequests. How does the game expect you to know where to get the items without looking at a guide?

Dead

well not really...yet
lucablight said:
I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the game and I still haven't figured out how to even start the colony 6 building sidequest. When I speak to Juju he tells me where to get one of the items needed and to ask other people in the colony for the others but I've spoken to every single person at every time of the day and all I get are other sidequests. How does the game expect you to know where to get the items without looking at a guide?
Check your collectapedia

Temrer

Neo Member
Does anybody else save before Heart-to-Hearts just to see all the conversation branches? Some of them are awesome - there's one on Bionis Leg between Shulk and Dunban, as well as a
Fiora and Shulk one on Fallen Arm
. It's pretty cool seeing different facets about the characters - Shulk seems so emo about his geekiness sometimes :D

lucablight said:
Well Juju tells you outright where to get some of the items, and there's always someone in town who will tell you where to get other items. I can't recall any transplants giving me tips, but I distinctly remember talking to town members and getting the location and the monster that drops a necessary item.

Besides that, yeah, you kinda just have to wing it. Either by picking the items up during a normal playthrough (C6 items can be "recognized" by the Monado as part of a future quest), or by guessing based on the item name.

I'm still wandering around on
Valak Mountain
. This place gave me some trouble when I first got here, I died on multiple occasions from battles and my own stupidity. I actually rage-quit for a few days, this place has an awful centre of gravity.

Trying to finish on of the quests that involves this area, but I just can't find the
Three Sage Summit
, as it's a timed quest I'm a bit wary of traveling to the main marker, the tower-thing, in case I deactivate it. Could someone point me in the right direction? Namely, which floor is it on, and is it in a terribly obtuse place?

sammyCYBORG said:
Valak Mountain
. This place gave me some trouble when I first got here, I died on multiple occasions from battles and my own stupidity. I actually rage-quit for a few days, this place has an awful centre of gravity.

Trying to finish on of the quests that involves this area, but I just can't find the
Three Sage Summit
, as it's a timed quest I'm a bit wary of traveling to the main marker, the tower-thing, in case I deactivate it. Could someone point me in the right direction? Namely, which floor is it on, and is it in a terribly obtuse place?
It's on the top floor... You have to run down an ice slide and jump across a wide gap to get to it.

UltimateIke said:
It's on the top floor... You have to run down an ice slide and jump across a wide gap to get to it.
The gap where if you fall you end up on the lower floor? At the Hollow Bone landmark, I believe. Thank you.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
sammyCYBORG said:
Valak Mountain

Three Sage Summit

You cannot access the Three Sage Summit before going to the tower since you require an item to access it (to melt the ice blocking the path). The item will only appear after the story event in said tower and it's a part of the main story.

As for the Three Sage Summit itself, you can access it from the first area of Valak Mountain (Zokhed Pass... IIRC). Just go down the descending path a bit and on the right side you can see a wall of ice blocking the path. Melt it down, proceed a bit, and then on the converging path pick the left one.

You might want to craft Quick Step gems if you don't have them as they can be very helpful for accessing the Three Sage Summit (not really necessary but saves a lot of hassle)

sammyCYBORG said:
The gap where if you fall you end up on the lower floor? At the Hollow Bone landmark, I believe. Thank you.
Ah, sorry. Not that one. I didn't think about how there are two sets of slides. Listen to Laughing Banana. He's got the full details.

Jintor said:
Oh yeah, I was going to expend all night gem crafting after I shower.

"TO YOU!" "TO ME!" "TO YOU!" "TO ME!" etc
Listen to this while you do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZU61k1ibw

Ok i just had a long,intense and partly sexual dream about me being part of the bunch, killing rabbits with hands as tails, collecting tons of blue lights etc last night

Time to finish this fucker

Finally got around buying this game. I know everyone said it was awesome but maybe I am jaded because I never took it that seriously. But wow, just wow. Amazing game so far. 6 hours in right now.

However I am beginning to see something worrisome and that is spots. The kind I have had earlier on graphics cards that are running to hot on PCs. I have a launch wii unit so maybe it is going to die soon?

Anyone know what I need to do to make sure my bought content on the sucker doesn't go poof? Maybe buy a new one and put this one in the closet in case a transfer to Wii U becomes a possibility in the future?

Zornica

Banned
Baiano19 said:
Just got to the 2 next areas and the music keeps getting better... how?!!

i've got a theorie on that:
bench old rpg composers everyone knows like shimomura, matsuda, kiyota etc and get in some fresh people who haven't been exploited yet.
I really love what ACE+ did with the soundtrack and I also hope more newcomers will get their chance to score new jrpgs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Laughing Banana said:
What? Monado Purge really does remove spike effect--although only for 11-13 seconds tops at its most maximum level (which is a very, very short time)--so you need to reapply it pretty much constantly during the fight. I can attest this when fighting Breezy Xelos and that one unique that looks exactly like it in Eryth Sea.
I know it does, that's usually how I handled spike damage (until post-game stuff), but it didn't work at all in that fight. Maybe it was just a glitch or something, but even immediately after using purge I was still taking spike damage.

iamaustrian said:
Ok i just had a long,intense and partly sexual dream about me being part of the bunch, killing rabbits with hands as tails, collecting tons of blue lights etc last night

Time to finish this fucker
:lol

Finally got around buying this game. I know everyone said it was awesome but maybe I am jaded because I never took it that seriously. But wow, just wow. Amazing game so far. 6 hours in right now.

However I am beginning to see something worrisome and that is spots. The kind I have had earlier on graphics cards that are running to hot on PCs. I have a launch wii unit so maybe it is going to die soon?

Anyone know what I need to do to make sure my bought content on the sucker doesn't go poof? Maybe buy a new one and put this one in the closet in case a transfer to Wii U becomes a possibility in the future?
Spots are bad, and yes it means your GPU might be going bad. You could get it repaired by Nintendo, some people said they have before even with Homebrew stuff all over their Wiis. But you could remove the obvious traces (HBC, recent play logs that reference it) and they probably wouldn't find it unless they randomly did a thorough check.

Otherwise yeah, you'll probably need a new Wii soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
CrankyKong said:
Is it even possible to play without Sharla in your battle party?
I get destroyed when she isnt there to heal my two main damage dealers.
How far are you? I found it hard early on, but during the post-game stuff I ditched her and didn't even need her for the optional superbosses.

The big thing is agility, you want that as high as possible since it affects your dodging. That's why Dunban is considered a better tank in a lot of situations, he doesn't need much healing at all since he dodges so well.

Top Bottom