• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

I'll play it in english, without a doubt. I love the british accent. Do you guys know what are my favorite parts in Batman Nolan films? Action scenes? Bruce Wayne posing as a playboy? Ledger's Joker? No. The appearances of Michael Caine.

Have copies from Zavvi started shipping yet? Of course, I ordered mine this morning.

Anyway, I've got The Crystal Bearers to keep me occupied for the next week or so.

MechaX

Aeana said:
Xenoblade? Yes, I played it. And no, please don't misunderstand. I liked the game, it's quite good - I just feel like people have been letting the hype go unhinged and I've been worried that their expectations can't possibly be met in some cases. I was just cautioning people to temper their expectations, is all.

That's actually something I have been thinking about lately myself.

Then then again, given how low the bar has been set for this generation's JRPGs outside of a handfull of console JRPGs and most portable JRPGs, Xenoblade sweeping the "best JRPG of the generation" title may not be hard either.

udivision said:
All this hype, and aren't importers paying more than $50 for this?
Can this end well?
I paid just under $50.

And I'm more cautious than hyped, personally. I haven't liked Monolith games in the past but everything about this one (other than the ridiculous length being thrown around) seems very promising. Plus, I've made a promise to myself to play my Wii a lot for the rest of this year and for 2012.

Varion

PixyJunket said:
And I'm more cautious than hyped, personally. I haven't liked Monolith games in the past but everything about this one (other than the ridiculous length being thrown around) seems very promising.
This is actually how I went into it as well. Played a few hours of Baten Kaitos (the original, not Origins) but ended up dropping it, tried Xenosaga and didn't particularly enjoy that either, but Xenoblade feels quite different from their other titles despite the Xeno they bunged onto the name.

Just as well really considering I paid like $80 for my copy.

Varion said:
This is actually how I went into it as well. Played a few hours of Baten Kaitos (the original, not Origins) but ended up dropping it, tried Xenosaga and didn't particularly enjoy that either, but Xenoblade feels quite different from their other titles despite the Xeno they bunged onto the name.

Just as well really considering I paid like $80 for my copy.
The biggest offender for me was Namco x Capcom. What a piece of garbage game that was. I must have put twenty or thirty torturous hours into it before realizing I was starting to hate myself. No amount of irrational Namco fanboyism was worth the suffering I went through for that.

MechaX

udivision said:
Can this end well?

$58 exactly with shipping.

Personally, all I really want is a good RPG. Not necessary the most groundbreaking game ever, but a good RPG since I have been suckered with a lot of RPGs this generation (that, and I paid full price for the likes of FFXIII, so this is nothing).

So I'm reading on GAME that they have a 4-6 days delivery service for overseas? Is that accurate? I thought it took weeks for importers.

dwu8991

Banned
The Int3rsect said:
So I'm reading on GAME that they have a 4-6 days delivery service for overseas? Is that accurate? I thought it took weeks for importers.

All the UK importers use Royal Mail for postage so it depends more on which store has the stock.

udivision said:
Can this end well?

game's getting universally positive reviews and the world is gigantic, bigger than two lenghty games combined. That's 25$ for each game!

So is this game better playing with the CCP or with the Wiimote+Nunchuck? I should just add in MHTri I loike the wiimote+Nunchuck setup more than the CCP setup.

Tenbatsu

MatthewB92 said:
So is this game better playing with the CCP or with the Wiimote+Nunchuck? I should just add in MHTri I loike the wiimote+Nunchuck setup more than the CCP setup.
Tried it out and see which you like. Each have its own pros and cons.

vitacola

MatthewB92 said:
Then ... you should probably play it with the Mote+Chuck setup. You should decide yourself though ;)

(Somebody should add the question and answer in the OP :p)

RPGCrazied

Feels more natural on the CCPro.

Don't have to hold a button just to rotate the camera, plus it feels slower. Using the CCPro feels like playing a PS2 jRPG. Imma use that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
RPGCrazied said:
Feels more natural on the CCPro.

Don't have to hold a button just to rotate the camera, plus it feels slower. Using the CCPro feels like playing a PS2 jRPG. Imma use that.
Well said.. me too.

I am actually a fan of split nunchuk/wiimote for traditional games (as in Muramasa), but I need that right analog stick for the camera...

RPGCrazied said:
Surely mines in the States now. :) Was shipped Monday morning.
Doubtful. It left Zavvi's warehouse Monday. It then has to make its way through the UK's postal service, then to the airport, then overseas. It's most likely still in the UK.

RPGCrazied said:
Surely mines in the States now. :) Was shipped Monday morning.
it could ship monday morning. but it'll take it's time traveling from state to state until it gets there to you. i'm in louisiana btw. so it will take like 5 trips to get here lol

RPGCrazied

Does the CE get two manuals? That unboxing vid had a pretty thick looking one, could be in 2 languages though, but there was one in the case too.

RPGCrazied

eLZhi said:
Doubtful. It left Zavvi's warehouse Monday. It then has to make its way through the UK's postal service, then to the airport, then overseas. It's most likely still in the UK.

You people need to be more positive. :) I know I won't get it until next week sometime, but its nice to dream.

RPGCrazied said:
You people need to be more positive. :) I know I won't get it until next week sometime, but its nice to dream.
we'll see who gets the game first! ASDA shipped early. so there's a chance i'll get it this friday lmao yes i'm doing this like you too. thinking positive ;D

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
we'll see who gets the game first! ASDA shipped early. so there's a chance i'll get it this friday lmao yes i'm doing this like you too. thinking positive ;D

I'm kinda by you, aren't I? I'm in Texas, so not to far. I got it from Zavvi, I'll make sure to post a picture of my stash when I receive it. :p

RPGCrazied said:
I'm kinda by you, aren't I? I'm in Texas, so not to far. I got it from Zavvi, I'll make sure to post a picture of my stash when I receive it. :p
capital city of louisiana ;p

I'll make a video when i get mine. just have to put up the 18+ rating this time LOL.

That's enough for tonight, I'm four hours in now, some more impression;
-The environments are massive, almost MMORPG like in scale, I was a bit overwhelmed at first :O
-There's loads of quests to do, again like MMORPG with the villagers and the ! above their heads
-The 'affinity' system seems like a nice addition and gives you more motivation to talk to the NPC, same goes with the heart-felt moments between the characters on your team
-I thought the battle system was a little bit hokey at first, something about it felt sloppy but it's quickly come into it's own and it's really quite fun :D The chaining is a really nice idea, and could be special when you practice it and can chain multiple times
-I like how equipment shows on your character, even if they do look goofy, it's a nice detail
-Night/Day transitions are nice
-Enemy variety seems really good, and a lot of unique boss mobs randomly roaming around to keep you on your toes
-The english voice acting is good! The accents sound a bit odd at first but for the most part it's all given a believable delivery

Overall it gives me the impression of a less sophisticated FFXII, but with equal if not more amount of content. Awesome introduction so far ;D

Top Bottom