• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Yuterald

BocoDragon said:
Has anyone posted this Xenoblade Chronicles unboxing video yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KYYLNFNYQc

Umm, my eyes wandered to the comments section and I read something I HOPE isn't true. There aren't spoilers in those first few comments, right? I sure hope not because it sounded like a major spoiler about the game. =(

I guess most people won't want to read the comments section now...

LProtag

Yuterald said:
Umm, my eyes wandered to the comments section and I read something I HOPE isn't true. There aren't spoilers in those first few comments, right? I sure hope not because it sounded like a major spoiler about the game. =(

I guess most people won't want to read the comments section now...

Argh, I read it too.

Oh well.

Diffense

InsertNameHere said:
Argh, I read it too.

Oh well.

There's a pretty significant event quite early.
I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I spoiled it while watching some justin.tv videos after the Japanese release.
I've gotten over it but it makes me really wary of spoilers now with the game so close.

Diffense

Kandinsky said:
Dat manual...

Anyway, am I the only one with a shipping Sept 2 still on his order status? lol

I haven't gotten any shipping notification from GAME either.
I had to order by phone so I can't even check order status on the website.
Anyway, I do know they charged my CC on the 16th so I trust Xenoblade will be on its way soon.

Diffense said:
There's a pretty significant event quite early.
I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I spoiled it while watching some justin.tv videos after the Japanese release.
I've gotten over it but it makes me really wary of spoilers now with the game so close.
I think I know what you are talking about, that scene made me stop watching the livestream.

Hiltz

Bah! I apparently have to wait for my paypal fund transfer to be processed which won't be ready until August 19th. I chose the instant transfer option but how is waiting 4 days an instant transfer? I've never used paypal before so maybe I'm not understanding something.

Anyway, I'll try to purchase Xenoblade from 365games by the end of the week. I better not have any further issues after Zavvi failed to accept my debit card payment (most likely due to the bank blocking the transfer). Hopefully, it won't happen with this other site cause I don't know if I'd want to go through all this trouble to import something again. With my bad luck, the game will probably get lost in the mailing process... but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It's just good to know that Xenoblade will be worth the trouble after reading all of the positive reviews.

kiryogi

Banned
Yknow the thing about folks saying it's similar to XII and whatnot, here's the thing. Xenoblade is more like if FFXII was done correctly if anything.

Myriadis

kiryogi said:
Yknow the thing about folks saying it's similar to XII and whatnot, here's the thing. Xenoblade is more like if FFXII was done correctly if anything.
Given that FFXII is my favorite RPG,a game which is like that without the flaws FFXII had is completely awesome.

Cygnus X-1

BlazingDarkness said:
That's enough for tonight, I'm four hours in now, some more impression;
-The environments are massive, almost MMORPG like in scale, I was a bit overwhelmed at first :O
-There's loads of quests to do, again like MMORPG with the villagers and the ! above their heads
-The 'affinity' system seems like a nice addition and gives you more motivation to talk to the NPC, same goes with the heart-felt moments between the characters on your team
-I thought the battle system was a little bit hokey at first, something about it felt sloppy but it's quickly come into it's own and it's really quite fun :D The chaining is a really nice idea, and could be special when you practice it and can chain multiple times
-I like how equipment shows on your character, even if they do look goofy, it's a nice detail
-Night/Day transitions are nice
-Enemy variety seems really good, and a lot of unique boss mobs randomly roaming around to keep you on your toes
-The english voice acting is good! The accents sound a bit odd at first but for the most part it's all given a believable delivery

Overall it gives me the impression of a less sophisticated FFXII, but with equal if not more amount of content. Awesome introduction so far ;D

Nice to hear. Is the combat system any good?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mistle said:
I really hope the spoiler in the comment section of that vid isn't true. ugh.
I just edited my post with a warning.. I can't fix all the quotes of my link but at least its something :p

fionel

kiryogi said:

Having finished the JP ver of Xenoblade and as much as I love this game, one big beef I have with it is how the difference between your char level and enemy level is a big modifier in combat calculations. It's extremely difficult to defeat enemies who are 10 levels above you. This seems to be the developer's way of keeping the player in where they want throughout the main-plot progression, and I couldn't help but feel that it makes the entire experience kind of linear, despite having such a huge game-world.

kiryogi

Banned
fionel said:
Having finished the JP ver of Xenoblade and as much as I love this game, one big beef I have with it is how the difference between your char level and enemy level is a big modifier in combat calculations. It's extremely difficult to defeat enemies who are 10 levels above you. This seems to be the developer's way of keeping the player in where they want throughout the main-plot progression, and I couldn't help but feel that it makes the entire experience kind of linear, despite having such a huge game-world.
I hear this was only a real major issue in the end, but kept good pace otherwise. But I did hear complaints from folks in earlier areas as well. Regardless, I guess it never got me since I'd always explore every nook and cranny + doing all the sidequests. So I was often proper if not overleveled :D

Ledsen

kiryogi said:

It's... even BETTER than FFXII? :O Well, the character designs sure aren't :(

Mael

fionel said:

Woa, feels like an old RPG to boot?
Man I can't wait!

BocoDragon

Ledsen said:
It's... even BETTER than FFXII? :O Well, the character designs sure aren't :(
Vaan.png

Diffense

Yuterald said:
Man, that youtube comment is making me feel a bit ill, to be honest. Ugh, I hate the internet sometimes...

I ended up seeing it too and it wasn't what I thought.
So that makes two major spolilers if it turns out to be true.

BocoDragon

I'm committed to enjoying my incoming PAL copy, but it would be nice if NoA released it in the end (I'm picturing them naming it just "Xenoblade"). It would go a long way in proving that they're not total douchebags.

PetrCobra

Carlisle said:
Wow, does the non-CC version come with that thick full color manual?
Probably not. But it's the same manual you have in the game case (that one is in english), only in like seven different languages - german, french etc.

BocoDragon

PetrCobra said:
Probably not. But it's the same manual you have in the game case (that one is in english), only in like seven different languages - german, french etc.
Yeah.. if that's an exciting collectable to anyone.. I have about 100 French Canadian game manuals I can give you :p

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Welp, I got an e-mail from my local retailer this morning. My Xenoblade CE order was cancelled due to "circumstances beyond our control." Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Oxx

I thought Amazon had just sent me a dispatch email, but it was actually an email suggesting I purchase Xenoblade because I had viewed Xenoblade on the site.

Oxx said:
I thought Amazon had just sent me a dispatch email, but it was actually an email suggesting I purchase Xenoblade because I had viewed Xenoblade on the site.

Well you heard them, go buy it
again

Speaking of Amazon my order is now:
Delivery 1 of 1
Dispatching Soon
Delivery Estimate: 19 Aug 2011
Can't change payment or delivery options...can still request cancelation though. Hopefully this means it dispatches later on today (it has to come on or before the estimated date).

mclem

RPGCrazied said:
Does the CE get two manuals? That unboxing vid had a pretty thick looking one, could be in 2 languages though, but there was one in the case too.

It probably has a manual for the CCPro, too.

LProtag

For some reason I decided to look into the spoilers to see if they were real and well, TV Tropes is a terrible website. Though it looks like it might be something that could happen earlier on? I don't know. Oh well.

weeaboo

Ah yes, the delicious smell of a new game in my hands. Finally i'm going to play Xenoblade in english.

Good times guys, good times.

Oxx

Starwolf_UK said:
Speaking of Amazon my order is now:

Can't change payment or delivery options...can still request cancelation though. Hopefully this means it dispatches later on today (it has to come on or before the estimated date).

I changed my postage from free to First Class earlier in the week and that changed the estimate from the 18th to the 19th. I hope doing that didn't bump me down the queue.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Chesskid1 said:
is the story rather predictable or is there a few holy shit moments?

Even though I wouldn't say the story is particularly predictable (and I'm pretty good at guessing story plots) there are very few absolutely mind blowing moments. It's more a case of "Oh! Really?" then "OMG WHAT THE HELL?" Not that it is completely devoid of those moments, but there certainly aren't a lot of them.

Fritz

slaughterking said:
Yay, mine doesn't!

I'm sure it will during the day. They will have to ship it today in order to get it to you on Friday. And they are German after all, they will obey.

Top Bottom