• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

mclem

It's 2AM, and I had to consciously force myself to stop playing to go to bed. Still barely progressed in the story,
but am now heading off to get some ether in a cave with Reyn, which looks like it'll be a bit more involved

Despite the lack of progress in that respect, done a ton of stuff around the colony. Assuming that
we'll get Fiora - or at least some other third character - in the squad soon
, I've held off on doing every last quest for now. Have killed my first
named enemy (the big caterpillar below the entrance bridge)
, though, which was a bit more involved; I'm finding the basic fights quite simple, although I'm now outlevelling them a bit.

My only real criticism right now is one I think a few people have said, that it gives you a little too much freedom too quickly. Being a bit more linear and dictated at the outset would give it a bit more room to teach concepts to you at a reasonable pace; as it stood there was a gap of something like 90 minutes between fights for me the way I played, which meant I'd forgotten a few things by the time I fought again.

wrowa

7 hours into the game. I'm at level 12 and on my way out of Colony 9... I don't want to go already, but after being killed by a Level 70 monster I thought "well, fuck".

Thoraxes said:
Fullscreen resolution: 1080p
Internal Resolution: 4x Native (2560x2112)
AA: 8 Samples (quality level 32)
AF: 16x
Per-Pixel Lighting and Force Texture Filtering Enabled

What? Dolphin can do that now? Any screens? Yes, I know there's the Dolphin thread, but don't know which ones are lit per-pixel.

It's 3AM here and I'm not sure how I did it, but I played 17 hours since I got the game yesterday. I think I really like the game -- and my thesis is suffering horribly because of that. :p

Oh, and I just left the Colony 6 area behind me and arrived at a wonderful place. The nighttime music and atmosphere there is truly magical.
There are quite a few challenging enemies, too. A fun place all around.

I actually don't even understand why the game is getting so many 9.0's and not 9.5's or perfect 10's. The reviews almost literally have ZERO complaints. It's all heaps and heaps of praise in every single aspect. So why do they knock a point? I only say it because perfect 10's would really get peoples attention even more than it already has. But it is getting great reviews as I knew it would. This game will sell on it's merits alone.

weeaboo

VindicatorZ said:
I actually don't even understand why the game is getting so many 9.0's and not 9.5's or perfect 10's. The reviews almost literally have ZERO complaints. It's all heaps and heaps of praise in every single aspect. So why do they knock a point? I only say it because perfect 10's would really get peoples attention even more than it already has. But it is getting great reviews as I knew it would. This game will sell on it's merits alone.

Wii graphics.

Sophia

VindicatorZ said:

I'm kinda curious that myself. Amusingly, one of the 10 point reviews had a legit complaint about the graphics of individual models, yet still tossed it a perfect score.

VindicatorZ said:
I'd imagine most places are knocking it a point simply for being a Wii title.

bhytre

42772089.png

92159377.png

Feels good mang

Dachande

Just got to the end of the mines, beaten
the security robot things
- taken me nearly 3 hours so far. I wasn't sure the first time I played, but tonight I've really got into it. The battle system feels very FFXII to me, minus the Gambit stuff, and I really like it so far. The 'boss' battles are hectic and busy, it rarely feels hands-off.

mclem

PixyJunket said:

I think there are valid reasons to deduct a point (animations, some ropey texturing, the slight pacing issues I mentioned earlier), but I'm wondering if this is one of those games that makes you want to wax lyrical about the good in it that maybe you omit the negatives.

epmode

Marrshu said:
I'm kinda curious that myself. Amusingly, one of the 10 point reviews had a legit complaint about the graphics of individual models, yet still tossed it a perfect score.
It's almost as though you think a 10 means a perfect game.

Zane

VindicatorZ said:

That's not how it works. You don't start at 10 and remove a point for every flaw. The lengths GAF will go to discredit games journalism is astounding.

It is a perfectly reasonable prospect that the reviewers thought it was an incredible game with little to no big flaws. But maybe that's not a 10 for them. And that's OK.

I would say it's partly due to the whole Operation Rainfall ruckus that Xenoblade even got a fair share of reviews and very sporting ones at that. "Demanding" perfect scores to make a point and come down on NoA is maybe a bit much.
If Xenoblade came out in NA like any other game its outstanding quality would've probably gone overlooked by a lot of magazines.

To be fair, it was getting out of hand. Why people continue to advocate (or even admit to) such an awful thing is beyond me.
Well, but this thread title is essentially assisting the pirates so they don't accidentally reveal themselves and get banned. I wouldn't mind it if those jerks got banned and we can have a nicer thread title. :p

Eusis

PixyJunket said:
There's plenty of games on PS3/360/PC they'd talk about in the same fashion and still only give a 9 or 9.5, and didn't Bebpo's impressions list enough (relatively minor) annoyances that you could easily rationalize knocking down a point from "perfect"? Hell, they may find it really good but not quite greatest game ever, nothing you can really say to rationalize it.

Sennorin

Banned
PixyJunket said:

Sadly, most likely this.

But who cares, really. From my 7 hours of playing so far, this is the definitive JRPG of this generation of consoles. Scores don´t matter. Who doesn´t play this game, misses out. Simple as that.

Edit: I wouldn´t take Bebpo´s impressions as very representative. He made the mistake of forcing himself to do all sidequests, which, honestly, is dumb. The key to enjoying this game is to play the way it is the most fun to you. Doing all sidequests...I can see how that could ruin the game a bit.

jj984jj said:
If you haven't yet you
should go get Sharla before taking another break from the story since she's your healer.
Yeah I've figured this out, there's a quest from that Sesame guy that requires me to kill a unique mob, which spams me with debuffs even though i'm several levels higher, so i'm going to get
Sharla
and go and kill it

I discovered about 8 landmarks on the Bionis Knee, and killed several unique mobs. So good <3

Airgetlam

RPGCrazied said:
Wow. Thats huge. While it will sharpen up the image, it won't get rid of the jaggies I'm afraid. Having a low sharpness helps, and if your set has a dynamic contrast, having it off helps some too.

I'll try that out. I was actually thinking of playing on my old 19" HDTV after getting the HD component cables. Maybe it would look better on a smaller screen?

Nephix

I wish there was an option to limit or entirely shut off levelling for awhile because it's getting to the point where my characters are somewhere around 10+ levels above everything else in the current area.

And that's without actively looking for quests, just activating them when I see an exclamation mark, which usually means a finished quest because I already have all the required items. I guess the only option is to downright ignore any and all exclamation marks and rush through areas to avoid levelling too much.

Nothing to complain about except that though since it's a pretty solid game and probably the most fun I've had with an jrpg in quite some time.

RPGCrazied

Airgetlam said:
I'll try that out. I was actually thinking of playing on my old 19" HDTV after getting the HD component cables. Maybe it would look better on a smaller screen?

Much better. :)

I kick myself all the time for getting rid of my flat CRT 26" TV.

creid

M_Night said:
Yeah, but I downscaled the image size from the full 16:9 widescreen to 4:3 (I think).

Decreases the jaggies and improves the image quality a lot. I'm fine with the smaller viewing size.
? How did you accomplish that?

Keasar

I am positively surprised, the writing have been really good so far (5 hours), I have yet to smack myself on the forehead for something the characters say. Lovely visuals, the combat feels good and challenging and the music is absolutely marvelous.

I am enjoying for once a JRPG properly. :)
And my Wii for the first time in over half a year, damn thing was really dusty when I took it out.

Fou-Lu

Two hours, forty minutes in and I'm loving it, game feels immense already, plus the dialog is GREAT for a modern JRPG. The moment I realized I could swim was wonderful. Also, the music is amazing, I find myself humming along a lot.

MYE

I bet this game will be expensive as hell in a few years. If there is no US release then oh boy, grab them now people.

dacuk

Reading all the nice comments of the game from Euro/Import-GAF makes me hate even more NOA...
Importing it from PAL-land will be definitely prohibitive for me (3-way post trip)

seady

weeaboo said:
Wii graphics.

I still don't understand why dock a point off for Wii Graphics. They are suppose to rate it based on the system strength.

I don't take 4 points of a DS games because it doesn't do PS3 graphics.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
slaughterking said:
Well, but this thread title is essentially assisting the pirates so they don't accidentally reveal themselves and get banned. I wouldn't mind it if those jerks got banned and we can have a nicer thread title. :p
This this this!
'Piracy is still bannable' is such a terrible OT name for such a great game. And isn't it general knowledge on GAF that piracy is bannable?

Victrix

*beard*
Krev said:
This this this!
'Piracy is still bannable' is such a terrible OT name for such a great game. And isn't it general knowledge on GAF that piracy is bannable?

Seriously. Let stupid people get themselves banned, don't taint the awesome with a terrible title

Top Bottom