• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
BigJiantRobut said:
So... what's the deal with this game, exactly? I've read a ton of hullaballoo, but being in the US I can't try the game out for myself. From the gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like a sort-of-ok-looking, jankily animated JRPG. Is there something I'm missing, or is the hype simply due to the Wii having a bit of a drought at the moment?
No.

This game is so impressive that it would recieve mega-hype on any platform.

It's getting praise because it's an open-world jRPG done right. It's what jRPG fans have been waiting for this whole generation, but haven't gotten yet. It's something even non-jRPG fans might want to check out.

It does everything right that Final Fantasy XIII did wrong.

Xilium

I'm really hoping this game isn't just being severely overhyped. I'm dusting my Wii off for this (and by that I mean getting it back from my friend I let "borrow" it, which has been sitting in his closet for the past year), so don't fail me GAF.

Chanser

Xilium said:
I'm really hoping this game isn't just being severely overhyped. I'm dusting my Wii off for this (and by that I mean getting it back from my friend I let "borrow" it, which has been sitting in his closet for the past year), so don't fail me GAF.

You won't be disappointed, worth the wait.

Luigiv

The_Technomancer said:
Hm? How so? Not touching on the NA issue here, I'm curious what you think about Nintendo's involvement with the game otherwise.
I'm talking about Nintendo of Japan during the games development. NoA's choice has had no effect on the quality of the game.

watershed

Banned
Man, I'm sitting here in America reading the European Iwata Asks for Xenoblades just wishing it was seeing release here :(
I am still considering modding and importing but at the moment it would be financially and time-wise irresponsible for me to get this game. Still I soooooooooooooo want it!

Fess

BocoDragon said:
No.

This game is so impressive that it would recieve mega-hype on any platform.

It's getting praise because it's an open-world jRPG done right. It's what jRPG fans have been waiting for this whole generation, but haven't gotten yet. It's something even non-jRPG fans might want to check out.

It does everything right that Final Fantasy XIII did wrong.
Sounds like Nier, kind of. Is it even better?

BocoDragon

Fredrik said:
Sounds like Nier, kind of. Is it even better?
I like Nier but I think this is in a higher tier of detail and quality. More detailed and original environments, more things to do in them. More technical and fun battle system.

Diffense

Reveirg said:
Takahashi has been quoted saying he was impressed at how Nintendo allowed him all the time and resources he needed to complete his game, as opposed to how things went down with Square for Xenogears, and Namco for the whole Xenosaga debacle.

Seeing how the game turned out, it seems the game did benefit from plenty of funding and resources from Nintendo.

Yes.
I remember reading that when they were evaluating the development of the game the Nintendo liaison commented that "they'd gone so far why not just go all the way" and agreed to arrange for the necessary resources.
NOA's horrible treatment of the finished game is a really unfavourable comparison.

BocoDragon

Diffense said:
Yes.
I remember reading that when they evaluating the development of the game the Nintendo liaison commented that "they'd gone so far why not just go all the way" and agreed to arrange for the necessary resources.
NOA's horrible treatment of the finished game is a really unfavourable comparison.
If I was NCL I would MANDATE this game for the entire international Wii market. It does so much to build mindshare and hardcore gamer loyalty.

Wasn't that actually the impetus to invest in this development? It wasn't just about the meagre Japanese sales. It was to build the Wii's reputation as a console. "Look.. we even have top shelf RPGs!"

Fess

BocoDragon said:
I like Nier but I think this is in a higher tier of detail and quality. More detailed and original environments, more things to do in them. More technical and fun battle system.
Thanks! All I needed to hear. I'll pick it up today. :)

graywolf323

is there anything special that I'd have to do to get this game to run on my American Wii?

don't want to import it and not be able to play it :-(

BocoDragon

graywolf323 said:
is there anything special that I'd have to do to get this game to run on my American Wii?

There is something special but it's not difficult. Tons of us have been through the painless process already.

Use this great guide to help you out:

Go to this thread if you need questions answered.

Chanser said:
Wait for Wii price cut, then pounce.

NOE have a habit of stopping printing of games if they don't sell (Metroid Prime Trilogy, Endless Ocean 1 + 2 for example). I would not wait too long, or this might disappear. Unless something big happens, this probably wont be sold by major retailers after Christmas.

BocoDragon

The Int3rsect said:
Would I be safe with a 16GB SD card or 8GB for the whole process?
Yeah. You could do it with a card much smaller than that!

Diffense

graywolf323 said:

Yes, you need to install some non-Nintendo software on your US Wii for the game to work.
Someone at GAF prepared a wiki here: http://gwht.wikidot.com/
Jostiq.com also has an article here: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/19/how-to-play-xenoblade-chronicles-if-you-live-in-america/

Basically the steps boil down to:
1. Installing the Homebrew channel
2. Installing an app that will play games outside your region.

The Joystiq article uses 'Configurable USB loader', others use Gecko OS.
The former has more functionality but a beginner could easily stick with Gecko.

The most technical thing you have to do to get this working is copying some files to your SD card then putting it into the Wii.
If your PC does not have a built in SD card reader, you may have to buy one:
eg: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NS828K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So... I'm not really a fan of RPGs in general, be they of the J or W variety. There is a small handful of mostly older games that I liked and still do to this day, but that's about it. Based on that, do you all think that this game is different enough that someone like me would enjoy it, or is it still more or less your typical RPG fare?

I've watched some videos on YouTube, but I never get a sense of how fun a game looks just from watching videos.

squall23

I love how this game gives you a true sense of fear when you're just randomly exploring.

"Oh look, a (insert level 15 mob name here)"
*fights it*
"OH MY GOD I AGGRO'D A (insert level 70+ mob name here)"

or

"Hey a random red colour pick up"
*overlevelled boss fight ensues"

or

When you're just aimlessly running around and then you see an overlevelled mob in the distance.
"Well, time to walk away from that"

Buddha Beam said:
So... I'm not really a fan of RPGs in general, be they of the J or W variety. There is a small handful of mostly older games that I liked and still do to this day, but that's about it. Based on that, do you all think that this game is different enough that someone like me would enjoy it, or is it still more or less your typical RPG fare?

I have only played and finished a few JRPGs over the years

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 7, 8 (and almost 9)
Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata
Persona 4
Mario and Luigi (GBA) and Paper Mario (N64)

...I am not sure what taste I have (as a few of them were not well revived), but I loved all of those, and after three hours also love this

BocoDragon said:
Yeah. You could do it with a card much smaller than that!

Really? I've been reading that I should go with 16GB to be on the safe side, but if I can do with a smaller card, I'd be saving $$!

The Int3rsect said:
Really? I've been reading that I should go with 16GB to be on the safe side, but if I can do with a smaller card, I'd be saving $$!

The modding of your Wii can be done on a 1GB card (or smaller).

The game itself will take up 4GB+ of space (so you will probably need a 8GB card or maybe USB stick to store that). Something with a decent read speed would also be nice.

A decent sized harddrive would probably be a good idea instead of going with a stick/card - if you have (plan to have) a few more games.

Peterthumpa

TheExodu5 said:
Any word on how well this works with Dolphin?
Perfect. Really, played for 4 hours straight right now, not a single glitch, even using HLE as the audio plugin. Even playing in 3D works, it seems that the developers made the game with the Wii AND Dolphin in mind.

It's that amazing.

BocoDragon

I do like how jRPGs are getting some very high-concept settings, if you look at both this game and FFXIII. The backs of giant gods or the interior of a floating sphere? That's cool. Most jRPGs used to be just alternate Earth's or whatever.

I want a really good space jRPG. I want Final Fantasy XII: In Space. Just go all the way with the Star Wars homage and make Balthier and Fran space pirates who cruise in the Strahl around space, doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, evading the evil Archadean Space Empire! Vaan is cut. Balthier gets with Penelo AND Fran. Get Sakamoto to do Gradius V-style techno-symphony... I will pay Square Enix $100 for this.

Arcblade

Banned
So this dolphin thing is good then?

Would a good laptop G73SW, Sager, etc. be able to run this?

If so, I'm ordering it tonight.

Einbroch

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I do like how jRPGs are getting some very high-concept settings, if you look at both this game and FFXIII. The backs of giant gods or the interior of a floating sphere? That's cool. Most jRPGs used to be just alternate Earth's or whatever.

I want a really good space jRPG. I want Final Fantasy XII: In Space. Just go all the way with the Star Wars homage and make Balthier and Fran space pirates who cruise in the Strahl around space, doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, evading the evil Archadean Empire! Vaan is cut. Balthier gets with Penelo AND Fran. Get Sakamoto to do Gradius V-style techno-symphony... I will pay Square Enix $100 for this.
It's what Star Ocean is trying to be, and failing with (at least lately).

Arcblade

Banned
BocoDragon said:

I want a really good space jRPG. I want Final Fantasy XII: In Space. Just go all the way with the Star Wars homage and make Balthier and Fran space pirates who cruise in the Strahl around space, doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, evading the evil Archadean Empire! Vaan is cut. Balthier gets with Penelo AND Fran. Get Sakamoto to do Gradius V-style techno-symphony... I will pay Square Enix $100 for this.

I am confused.

You say you want a great space RPG, and FF12 in space.

Both?

Victrix

*beard*
BocoDragon said:
Wasn't that actually the impetus to invest in this development? It wasn't just about the meagre Japanese sales. It was to build the Wii's reputation as a console. "Look.. we even have top shelf RPGs!"

Yeah, except they don't. Xenoblade (and Monster Hunter Tri for that matter) are anomalies.

I wish that weren't so, but that's just where Nintendo has positioned itself. I do agree it is stupendously stupid of them to ok a game like this and not release it stateside.

But big companies are unfathomable, the number of people and factors that go into making such a decision that sounds simple as a consumer (particularly as a hardcore gamer) are anything but for a Suit.

BocoDragon

Einbroch said:
It's what Star Ocean is trying to be, and failing with (at least lately).
Yeah it's not right. I want some twisted sci-fi scenario ... not this anime space pap.

Peterthumpa

LiK said:
i'm afraid to ask for Dolphin screenshots. it might lessen my excitement when i see it on my TV.
Or maybe I can show you some non-spoilerish ones:

5bZWc.jpg

YWkuX.jpg

GylG2.jpg

BocoDragon

Arcblade said:
I am confused.

You say you want a great space RPG, and FF12 in space.

Both?
12 ruled. I think it's characters/settings could be recycled into a cool space opera. Just smoke a joint and listen to Sakamoto's techno-infused soundtracks like Dragon Quarter and Gradius V with your imagination going... it will all start to make sense.

watershed

Banned
Okay my will power is folding can someone post the link to buy this game online and have it shipped to the US or alternatively can someone who bought the UK version and had it shipped to the US tell me how much it costs?

Edit: found it in the OP. Still mulling a purchase...

Diffense

Victrix said:
Yeah, except they don't. Xenoblade (and Monster Hunter Tri for that matter) are anomalies.

I wish that weren't so, but that's just where Nintendo has positioned itself. I do agree it is stupendously stupid of them to ok a game like this and not release it stateside.

But big companies are unfathomable, the number of people and factors that go into making such a decision that sounds simple as a consumer (particularly as a hardcore gamer) are anything but for a Suit.

What I find interesting is that NCL did not arrive at a 'curtail development or cancel' decision.
NOE did not arrive at a 'do not localize for UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain' decision.
Of the major branches, NOA alone came to the decision that XBC is not worth releasing at all.
I would have loved to have heard the discussions that resulted in that conclusion.

Fess

About piracy, which is in the thread title now.
Please use your brain for once. Just for once. Remember that every sale is counted and the total sales is eventually a figure that some guys in suits use to decide if they should do more games like this. Popularity and GOTY declarations on boards don't count. It's all about the sales.
So, if this game indeed is the JRPG of this generation, wouldn't you want another one?

BocoDragon

Fredrik said:
About piracy, which is in the thread title now.
Please use your brain for once. Just for once. Remember that every sale is counted and the total sales is eventually a figure that some guys in suits use to decide if they should do more games like this. Popularity and GOTY declarations on boards don't count. It's all about the sales.
So, if this game indeed is the JRPG of this generation, wouldn't you want another one?
Agreed. And I feel like jRPGs are an endangered species and need our support at this time.

People, buy this. It's the game you want. Or at least, on the off chance it doesn't click with you, it's the game you need to have played to really know what the score is on the landscape of modern day jRPGs...

Arcblade

Banned
BocoDragon said:
12 ruled. I think it's characters/settings could be recycled into a cool space opera. Just smoke a joint and listen to Sakamoto's techno-infused soundtracks like Dragon Quarter and Gradius V with your imagination going... it will all start to make sense.

I actually had zero problems with 12, save for the ending.

But the ending completely killed it for me.

An epic quest for vengence and reckoning for loved ones, lives, and nation lost, collapses into the chorus for "Why Can't We Be Friends", roll credits.

Can anyone tell me of this dolphin thing will run the game on a good laptop?

If so, I'll buy it tonight.

BocoDragon

Arcblade said:
I actually had zero problems with 12, save for the ending.

But the ending completely killed it for me.

An epic quest for vengence and reckoning for loved ones, lives, and nation lost, collapses into the chorus for "Why Can't We Be Friends", roll credits.
Really? The ending for XII made me feel fuzzy inside.

SecretMoblin said:
I'm kind of in love with all the warm fuzzies FFXII is getting in this thread.

Top Bottom