• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Eusis

There ARE some people who feel that since it's not (currently) coming to NA they're entitled to just pirate the game, even though importing puts it at the same price as a PS3/360 game anyway. Trying to make a statement or some bullshit, even though the "statement" would more likely be "don't even bother getting it out in Europe" rather than "release it in America too."

Sennorin

Banned
Eusis said:
There ARE some people who feel that since it's not (currently) coming to NA they're entitled to just pirate the game, even though importing puts it at the same price as a PS3/360 game anyway. Trying to make a statement or some bullshit, even though the "statement" would more likely be "don't even bother getting it out in Europe" rather than "release it in America too."

The title topic is still unfair for such a great game. Should be "OT| Xenoblade Chronicles - Think you can beat that, Zelda?"

So I just got my Wii but I've been using the normal composite cables and it doesn't look that bad on my HDTV. Will the component cables really make that much of a difference?

MYE

seady said:
I still don't understand why dock a point off for Wii Graphics. They are suppose to rate it based on the system strength.

I don't take 4 points of a DS games because it doesn't do PS3 graphics.

Read the graphics score part of IGN's review for a good laugh.

The Int3rsect said:
So I just got my Wii but I've been using the normal composite cables and it doesn't look that bad on my HDTV. Will the component cables really make that much of a difference?

YES

Eusis

Sennorin said:
The title topic is still unfair for such a great game. Should be "OT| Xenoblade Chronicles - Think you can beat that, Zelda?"
True, and pirates stupid enough to give themselves away probably would still.

The Int3rsect said:

Does syrup make that much of a difference on waffles?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
TheExodu5 said:
Where's the best place to import this from?
I placed an order from game.co.uk, I think with shipping it ended up about $51. (International shipping too, I live in Japan. Seemed to be no problem whatsoever.)

dacuk

Does Euro-GAF have any idea about Xeno's sales? I am trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel (sales big enough for NOA to decide and bring it to America)

daCuk said:
Does Euro-GAF have any idea about Xeno's sales? I am trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel (sales big enough for NOA to decide and bring it to America)

Yes there is loads of data on the game's sales the first day it is released

Eusis

daCuk said:
I'd expect something a week from now if we're lucky. For not the best you can do is see how high it is on Amazon or whatever. If it doesn't do very well though then I'll definitely import.

Yeah, importers can get it for around the same price (including shipping) they would have paid if it had been released in North America.

And with the relative ease of modding your Wii to play import titles, there's really no reason not to import if you want the game.

daCuk said:
The game was just officially released, so there's no official sales data yet, but anecdotal evidence and Amazon rankings suggest a pretty good opening week.

And despite Reggie's nonsense, there's absolutely no way Europe's sales would have an impact on NoA's decision to localize the game. The Last Story, maybe. Maybe.

daCuk said:

The game was "officially" released about 20 hours ago, so no.

Reveirg said:
One importer from GameFAQs claims he received his game from game.co.uk today.

Anybody in NA got it here?

Nope. East Coast here, but mine didn't ship until tuesday, I think some people said theirs' shipped monday

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yeah they ship Monday. They sent a confirmation email to make sure you knew NTSC Wii couldn't run PAL games.

Eusis

SecretMoblin said:
And despite Reggie's nonsense, there's absolutely no way Europe's sales would have an impact on NoA's decision to localize the game. The Last Story, maybe. Maybe.
I dunno, if they really did prepare an NTSC version "just in case" and it seriously looks like a mistake passing over then I could see it being a possibility. This IS NoA though, and high Asian imports AND good NA sales for Demon's Souls didn't get SCEE to release it in Europe.

Salih

Noone wanted to play this game on gamescom. There was only one station but still no waiting line. Out of boredom the gaming instructor from Nintendo started playing the game.

Reveirg

robotzombie said:
Nope. East Coast here, but mine didn't ship until tuesday, I think some people said theirs' shipped monday

Yeah mine shipped tuesday too. I'm on the east coast, but Montreal. I wonder if being in Canada changes anything for shipping time VS. U.S..

Eusis

Salih said:
Noone wanted to play this game on gamescom. There was only one station but still no waiting line. Out of boredom the gaming instructor from Nintendo started playing the game.
I half expect most games JUST ABOUT TO COME OUT do poorly at conventions compared to stuff further off in the horizon, plus RPGs aren't the best games to play at those events anyway.

Thoraxes

Reveirg said:
One importer from GameFAQs claims he received his game from game.co.uk today.

Anybody in NA got it here?
Yes. My situation is different though, as I had a friend who was flying in today pick up a copy before his flight and bring it here.
charlequin said:
Does syrup make that much of a difference on waffles?
I prefer powdered sugar.

Salih said:

lonelysuda51holdingNMHtoiletpaperrolls.jpg

That's me finished for another night! I now have
Sharla
in my team and have just got a huge amount of new affinity/monster quests from both Colony 9 and the Refugee Camp which will last me a good few hours before I
go and rescue Juju

The game has a staggering amount of content, and amazingly it doesn't suffer for it! It being Europe only and on Wii seriously limits the potential audience this game has which is a shame because it wipes the floor with the likes of FFXIII, and I'm a pretty big FF fanboy

bh7812

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
why is Monado spelled Monade in italian? That's odd

Hmmm...I don't know if this may have anything to do with why it's got the e at the end instead of an o in Italian, but I just thought maybe it has something to do with if the English version of the word ends in an a or o it becomes an e in Spanish or Italian. The thing that made me think of it is at least in Spanish, I've seen the word Florida as Floride and California as Californie so I'm wondering if it's some weird naming convention like that.

I'm in the US waiting for my imported copy of the game to arrive from Game as well. They shipped mine on Tuesday so possibly, maybe tomorrow but I'm thinking it will start showing up for a lot of people in the US who ordered from Game on Monday and Tuesday. Definitely by Wednesday if they shipped it early this week. The game looks fantastic..really don't get NOA's passing on this one. I know it's some goofy business decisions with this stuff but especially since it's been translated to English it baffles me.

Feep

Banned
If I don't get this game tomorrow, I'm going to kill someone.

Most notably, someone at the U.S. Department of Customs.

Anybody else find the 'side quests' a bit archaic?

It feels like 90's mmo design.

Wish your journal was more informative, ie: location of npc, when they are around (time of day) and also where monsters are for collection/quests.

Enjoying it so far, just been exploring and barely doing any story stuff.

Love my swimming trunks look xD

chickdigger802 said:

Wish your journal was more informative, ie: location of npc, when they are around (time of day) and also where monsters are for collection/quests.

The game doesn't give you much information to go on regarding NPCs/location etc but after a while you will start to get a feel for the NPCs locations/routines and the times which you can find them, the affinity sidequests are designed to last throughout the story, so don't feel obliged to do them all straight away (unless there is a clock icon on the quest indicating a time restraint) You just become accustomed to where certain NPCs will be, and with the convenience of fast travel and being able to change the clock it's really not a hassle
I can remember where pretty much ever NPC in Colony 9 will be at which times of the day now, and just yesterday I was clueless lol The only thing I have to still look out for is when new quests are active (as indicated by the ! icon) which means doing a quick run through the town whenever I'm there throughout the day to activate them

Same goes for monsters too, there are pockets of monster types scattered throughout and they respawn in the same areas, so it's just a case of getting familiar with that, I'd love for them to be indicated on the map but I guess this is one way to encourage exploration :p

chickdigger802 said:

I thought the time of day NPCs are around - but not their location - is displayed in the 'Affinity' menu.

FreeMufasa said:
9.0 @ Gamespot

I've got a feeling this could end up a suprise GOTY like Demon's Souls was in 09.
Too bad it's a Wii game, ha.

And Monolith must be so happy, everybody is saying they refined the JRPG genre and added some elements from WRPG.

Didn't they said something about Bethesda recently? Takahashi coming for western wigs, polish your scalps!

dacuk

bh7812 said:
Hmmm...I don't know if this may have anything to do with why it's got the e at the end instead of an o in Italian, but I just thought maybe it has something to do with if the English version of the word ends in an a or o it becomes an e in Spanish or Italian. The thing that made me think of it is at least in Spanish, I've seen the word Florida as Floride and California as Californie so I'm wondering if it's some weird naming convention like that.

I'm in the US waiting for my imported copy of the game to arrive from Game as well. They shipped mine on Tuesday so possibly, maybe tomorrow but I'm thinking it will start showing up for a lot of people in the US who ordered from Game on Monday and Tuesday. Definitely by Wednesday if they shipped it early this week. The game looks fantastic..really don't get NOA's passing on this one. I know it's some goofy business decisions with this stuff but especially since it's been translated to English it baffles me.

Weird, as Florida and California were names set by Spaniard conquistadores in USA territory, prior to England conquering it.
Monado or Monade has no meaning in Spanish.

Seik

Banned
Eusis said:

This, pretty much.

If there are some pirates here I have a message for them: You have no idea how much having the real thing in your hand is more enjoyable and satisfying. Playing a game you have bought with your hard-earned money gives a feeling of property and legitness like no others. These are exactly the reason why I started a collection.

This game will feel especially even more satisfying since its not coming out here (Canadian gafer here) :D

Sennorin

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
And Monolith must be so happy, everybody is saying they refined the JRPG genre and added some elements from WRPG./QUOTE]

Their first game for Wii U is really one to look forward to. Hope they try to improve on Xenoblade´s open world exploration. I wouldn´t mind adding air ships :p

Chanser

There's a bug in one of the quests, called
An Impoverished Critic: If you choose to poison King Squeeze, you collect 5 poisons, if you quick travel back to town, the quest resets itself and you can no longer complete the quest.

Luigiv

Twilight Princess said:
Why is this game so good? How can a game be this good?
From what I can gather, it's probably because of a combination of:

1. Takahashi being his most mature as a developer and
2. Nintendo playing their role as the publisher perfectly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Luigiv said:

Hm? How so? Not touching on the NA issue here, I'm curious what you think about Nintendo's involvement with the game otherwise.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Luigiv said:

Why thank you.

giant_reggie_face.jpg

gdt

This whole situation is kinda pissing me off now. I always figured this was gonna eventually come out here, so I never made a fuss.

I think now is time to get off my butt and get my Wii region free. Just gotta order an SD card, don't have one laying around. I also gotta figure out which vendor to order this from.

So... what's the deal with this game, exactly? I've read a ton of hullaballoo, but being in the US I can't try the game out for myself. From the gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like a sort-of-ok-looking, jankily animated JRPG. Is there something I'm missing, or is the hype simply due to the Wii having a bit of a drought at the moment?

Reveirg

The_Technomancer said:
Hm? How so? Not touching on the NA issue here, I'm curious what you think about Nintendo's involvement with the game otherwise.

Takahashi has been quoted saying he was impressed at how Nintendo allowed him all the time and resources he needed to complete his game, as opposed to how things went down with Square for Xenogears, and Namco for the whole Xenosaga debacle.

Seeing how the game turned out, it seems the game did benefit from plenty of funding and resources from Nintendo.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BigJiantRobut said:
So... what's the deal with this game, exactly? I've read a ton of hullaballoo, but being in the US I can't try the game out for myself. From the gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like a sort-of-ok-looking, jankily animated JRPG. Is there something I'm missing, or is the hype simply due to the Wii having a bit of a drought at the moment?
-Ridiculously huge open world with incredible art direction
-Engaging combat system inspired by the better elements of MMO combat and the system from FFXII
-A story that depending on who you ask is between serviceable and great.
-100+ hours of content, quests, hidden locations and monsters and loot and stuff.
-Many sources calling it the evolution that the JRPG genre desperately needed to remain relevant.

That's why I'm hyped.

I knew I needed the game the first time I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0yZ3ptiMU

Top Bottom