• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
jling84 said:
Just wondering how is the controller that comes with the CE for playing games that support the classic controller like Xenoblade? How does it compare to the OG classic controller? I have one that came bundled with MoHun, but I never opened it.
It's better but not better enough to be worth buying if you have an original one to be honest. Especially since you played even Monster Hunter with the remote + nunchuck setup (like me, I think it's the superior control scheme, I love all the little intuitive gesture shortcuts for certain moves and such, both of us will probably end up playing Xenoblade with that setup too). I only really use the Classic Controller for games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and even that game also only has 4 main buttons so I don't mind the inferior shoulder button placement and style much since they're just used for extra combination shortcuts. Maybe if you have lots of VC games it's worth it though.

RPGCrazied

PixyJunket said:
@RPGCrazied, when did your order ship from zavvi? I'm in Texas too. Mine shipped yesterday.

I will be, when it arrives. 46" Samsung LCD.

Monday! :p

32" 720p Samsung here. I keep messing around with the settings. Jaggies won't go away, but just trying to disguise them in Wii games. I guess low sharpness is the only thing you can do. I'm already using component.

Reading this thread is trying on my nerves. I was kind of telling myself that it wasn't that good and people were just overhyping it. But I can't take it anymore. All the positive reviews and gushing praise from people who have played it has pushed me over the edge. Gonna put in an order at game.co.uk before the day is over. Figured this was a good place to buy it.

Also doubt I will be looking at this thread again till I finish the game. I think I have seen just enough info to be extremely hyped.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BlazingDarkness said:
I've just reached Gaur Plain, both Shulk and Reyn are level 21, gonna do some exploring before I move on with the story, so many places to see D:
If you haven't yet you
should go get Sharla before taking another break from the story since she's your healer.

sinxtanx

I'm ten hours in and I have to go to bed :(

DAMN all these characters are likeable. Well, maybe not Juju. wtf are you doing Juju no Juju that's not how you drive a car holy shit what were you thinking Juju you are bad at heroing

Hey guys, been playing the game most of the day and a little break is needed so I figured I'd post my general impressions after around 9 hours of gameplay:

Let me preface this by acknowledging the monumental level of hype surrounding this game. Personally, I've been burnt by so many JRPGs the last several years that I was on my toes throughout the beginning hours of Xenoblade, always skeptical that it would truly deliver. However after spending a good chunk of my day in Gaur Plains, I now feel confident enough to say that Xenoblade Chronicles is my favorite JRPG since Skies of Arcadia. Though such a statement might not come as much of a surprise, considering all the critical praise and positive forums reception.

Combat: I'll admit that for awhile there as I was going through the many tutorials, I was worried it might feel tedious. But 10 hours in, it is still growing more and more satisfying as all its layers reveal themselves and it doesn't feel convoluted in any way. To me, it is pretty much what I wanted Final Fantasy XII's battle system to be.

Story: Compelling universe, decent characters and intriguing plot so far. There are a lot of cutscenes but they are brisk and never boring.

Only minuses so far, the lip-sync imperfections and uninvolving side-quests.

Last thing I will say: You've heard about the massive, beautiful environments but man, seeing is believing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zafir said:
Lawl at the new topic title.

I used the last of my Mercy Points to change the title, so I think it goes without saying that anyone dumb enough to sacrifice their account after this point in the thread is going to get the book thrown at them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Stumpokapow said:
I used the last of my Mercy Points to change the title, so I think it goes without saying that anyone dumb enough to sacrifice their account after this point in the thread is going to get the book thrown at them.
Very fair.

Question for those who are playing/have played: is the gem crafting based on timed button presses? I saw a video of it and it looked like it was a little more involved than just watching the characters create gems.

McNum

Well I've been playing it for a few hours now. So far, it's awesome. I love how it so far plays the standard JRPG story straight, but makes some hard turns away from it just when you think you've figured it out. Because THIS is how you do an opening.

Major opening spoilers, do NOT highlight unless you've played the game.
Okay, the hero, his friend and his not-his-girlfriend are conveniently out of the town when the enemy attacks. Doomed hometown scenario is a go! Except, they manage to save the town thanks to the Monado. Huh, neat variation.

Shulk can see into the future! Woo! He just saw that Fiora will get killed! Oh no! Well, he'll save her! Just see, he'll rise in a burst of rage any second now. Any second now. Okay Shulk, now would be good. Wait, they're not going to...? *robot withdraws bloody claws from Fiora* Oh... they are. I hate you, but I love you. Revenge it is, then.

I'll admit, the faced robot is an awesome villain. Really, he's a better Megatron than some variants of actual Megatrons. Until I learn its name, it'll be Megatron to me. Even got a proper menacing alt-mode.

Got up to just after the
spider-boss that gives you the future sight in battle ability. That is such a cheap move if you have the appropriate counter ready. Which you just got one battle ago in this case.
So far, I'm impressed. Those that say it's FFXII done right are pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Zafir

SecretMoblin said:
Question for those who are playing/have played: is the gem crafting based on timed button presses? I saw a video of it and it looked like it was a little more involved than just watching the characters create gems.
The only button presses you can do is speeding it up. Not sure if speeding it up does anything?

RPGCrazied

Wow. I can't imagine playing on that size. It's bad sometimes on my 32" Maybe my settings are all wrong, I dunno. It's LCD, that could be a problem too.

kiryogi

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
Not as far as I know. Just toss into the blender and watch from what I recall.

anaron

I'm sure this has been asked and I apologize in advance for asking about it anyway - to my fellow canadians, how much did the total come to ordering the CE from GAME?

BocoDragon

anaron said:
I'm sure this has been asked and I apologize in advance for asking about it anyway - to my fellow canadians, how much did the total come to ordering the CE from GAME?
It was about $77 bucks as I remember.

If you order the standard edition from Zaavi it'll come to about $42.. Quite a difference..

Airgetlam

Anyone play this on an HDTV? I'm really enjoying this game so far but its really blurry and it's kind of ruining the experience. I was looking at HD component cables for the Wii. Does anyone have them and if so, do they make much of a difference?

RPGCrazied

Airgetlam said:
Anyone play this on an HDTV? I'm really enjoying this game so far but its really blurry and it's kind of ruining the experience. I was looking at HD component cables for the Wii. Does anyone have them and if so, do they make much of a difference?

We were just talking about this. I feel your pain, I use Component. Sure there is a big difference from using Composite, but its still not all that great. Bigger size TV it just gets worse. I wish I had a smaller CRT or something. I have a nice 23" computer monitor I wish I could use, but alas the Wii doesn't use HDMI.

BocoDragon

Airgetlam said:
It's going to be a much cleaner image.. But it'll still be SD and there's only so good it can look.

But by all means please get that cable. Even on SDTV I'd get that cable! It will give your TV a 480p progressive scan image instead of interlaced BS.

Aeana

Airgetlam said:
Are you using composite/480i? If so, the component cables will make a dramatic difference.

Playing on a 50 inch Panasonic plasma here. I was initially disappointed at the slightly rough graphics. But you get used to it quickly, and it really doesn't look that bad at all. I soon forget I'm playing a Wii game.

I suspect plasma is a little kinder to Wii graphics than an LCD on a large screen though.

Zafir

I've got my Wii hooked up via component to my 26" HDTV. Fortunately I sit far enough back not to notice the jagged edges.

Airgetlam

Aeana said:
Are you using composite/480i? If so, the component cables will make a dramatic difference.

Yeah, I'm using the default cables that came with the Wii. I was just unsure how much of a difference 480i is compared to 480p. But they're only 4 bucks on Amazon so, I might as well buy them. The shipping actually costs more than the cables themselves.

BocoDragon

SD sets aren't ideal for this game anyway considering it forces letterboxed widescreen. I'd think a small HDTV would be ideal.

Boney

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
anyone banned?

other than jigsaw teeheehee

I played a little of the JP import on my 50" plasma.. and it was ok.. but I'm tempted to hook up my desktop up to my TV to play this game when my Euro copy gets here (hopefully next week)

1080p on dolphin w/ AA with a controller on a 50" plasma from the couch sounds like the best of all worlds.

After I finish Deus Ex: HR, I may shift things around a bit and dedicate myself to playing Xenoblade.

Airgetlam

RPGCrazied said:
Lol. Then thats your problem. Composite is shit.

Lol Yeah, I should have known. I haven't actually used my Wii for a year or two. When I did use it back then, I still had an old tube tv, I've only recently replaced it with 46" HDTV.

dani_dc

Dammnit.
Went to the store today but the dude said they sold out of all copies in 2 days (apparently they released it early).

Tried the other stores in the mall (biggest mall in the country and the stores there usually get Nintendo games 1~2 days before release and in good numbers), but none of the others had even received the game, which was quite odd. From my impression the store that got stock didn't get that many copies to begin with.

The dude at the first store pointed me to another store near me that had 6 Limited editions according their system but warned me that the system data might be out of date. Going to try there early morning.

So happy that the game is selling well, though disappointed at the bad release here, I'm not sure if the stores didn't update their order for stock from the September 2nd to the 19th of August or somtehing, but no store outside of this one brand even had any idea when they would get the stock

RPGCrazied

Airgetlam said:
Lol Yeah, I should have known. I haven't actually used my Wii for a year or two. When I did use it back then, I still had an old tube tv, I've only recently replaced it with 46" HDTV.

Wow. Thats huge. While it will sharpen up the image, it won't get rid of the jaggies I'm afraid. Having a low sharpness helps, and if your set has a dynamic contrast, having it off helps some too.

Sennorin

Banned
Played 2 more hours without really progressing in the story. The Gaur area is beautiful. But I´m starting to get scared by all these randomly appearing level 75 and such monsters, lol. Always hoping that they won´t rush at me.

Btw. where has Iwan gone? Have collected the 4 items he wanted. Damn, come back, Iwan!

Sennorin said:
Played 2 more hours without really progressing in the story. The Gaur area is beautiful. But I´m starting to get scared by all these randomly appearing level 75 and such monsters, lol. Always hoping that they won´t rush at me.

Btw. where has Iwan gone? Have collected the 4 items he wanted. Damn, come back, Iwan!
just don't explore during the night in dark places. lol

Top Bottom