• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Apenheul

Man, this game even tops the Elder Scrolls games in terms of exploration. I was just exploring some Bionis' Leg areas I skipped before, found a cave gaurded by two of those parrot-like creatures with spears, went through the cave, and
found the headquarters of that enemy type, including their leader
. Similarly, when following a mountain path I'd previously overlooked I reached a temple with a shining red item on the highest point. When I picked it up
a giant spider suddenly climbs out of the cliff right before your eyes
, I ran like hell.

Sadist

Gaur Plains is amazing. I was killing off some monsters (sorry baby monsters, I need your mum/dads EXP :( ) and all of a sudden a giant level 71 monster leisurely walks by. Hmm okay.

Scenery is breathtaking.

Marbles

Zafir said:
It's in the menu, open the menu up, and press the first option that is highlighted. It'll bring you onto the party screen, just drag whoever you want to lead into the middle of the 3. It'll say in the bottom corner which button is is to select character.

Ahh ok thanks. The blurry text i could make out mentioned something about positioning the camera behind someone but i couldn't make out which button i was meant to press.

RPGCrazied said:
You're using composite? Might want to upgrade that to component.

Ancient SD tv with only a SCART socket. Guess I need to make do.

Finally booted up Xenoblade... OMG DAT MUSIC :O

26NLY.png

kiryogi

Banned
Finally decided to load up my JP save and went at it again. Did hella quest grinding to get some extras I missed before. Spent all goddamn evening XD Gotta get those affinities up!

After all these stellar reviews the game has been getting, it's pretty amusing reading reactions in the old thread Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Namco-Bandai

I'm bored waiting for my copy, so here are my favourite posts:

(I'm not naming people 'cause I'm a nice guy. Look them up yourself)

Someone said:
Are these the Xenosaga people? If they are....

Do not want!

Someone else said:
WTF? Of all the developers to buy out. I bet they "replace" Takahashi. Permanently. That would be for the best.

Some dude said:
Prob a cheap buy.

Another nameless person said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I guess Namco FINALLY BAILED OUT! I wonder why Nintendo would want them anyway, they've never made a single profitable game and the good developers from the Baten Kaitos series aren't even on board here.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Someone number 2 said:
They're gonna make all the new Mario Sports games.

A person said:
Disaster Day of Crisis must be a realy impresive title.

A human being said:
Wow, this is like going shopping for turds.

Xeno :lol

A man or a woman said:
Super Pretentious Mario confirmed

A videogamer said:
Nintendo must've gotten a *REALLY* good deal on this. :lol

Some other person said:
GAF's legendary pessimism on full display. Everyone's troubled by Nintendo buying Monolith: half because they're worried that Nintendo will resurrect Xenosaga, and the other half worried they won't.

homo sapiens said:
Great! now Wii owners can enjoy 2 hour xenosaga cutscene goodness!

Ledsen

kiryogi said:
Haha how far are you? It only gets worse later :D

I'm three hours in -_- All I've done is I fully explored Colony 9, got the Cave mission but didn't go yet. Want to finish all the sidequests :D

Reading around on forums and some guy said what could be a huge spoiler but I hope he was joking around, he said
Fiora dies
Hoping that's not true :/

RPGCrazied said:
I want your TV! Looks nice.
Thanks! =) I just got this 46" Viera earlier this week and it plays SD content extremely well. I was just playing with the 2D>3D to see how it looked and there's a decent amount of depth given as well. It's so good. :3

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Xenoblade arrived (amazon.co.uk, 2 days UK->NL). 250 stars + 50 bonus for "pre-registering". Downloading Xenoblade OST (See My Treasures section of the Club Nintendo page).

If any of you US importers don't need the Club Nintendo registration code, I'll gladly take one from you :p (Not sure if I can register more than 1 copy nowadays).

RPGCrazied

I must be doing something wrong, or my settings are. Most Wii games look like ass on my TV. Its a Samsung 32" 720p. Every time I play a Wii game I'm usually always messing around with the settings to get a better picture. Why can't the Wii use HDMI? If it did I could play on this 23" monitor, and 100% positive it would look so much better. Yes, I have component.

RPGCrazied said:
I must be doing something wrong, or my settings are. Most Wii games look like ass on my TV. Its a Samsung 32" 720p. Every time I play a Wii game I'm usually always messing around with the settings to get a better picture. Why can't the Wii use HDMI? If it did I could play on this 23" monitor, and 100% positive it would look so much better. Yes, I have component.

Nah, mine is like that too, I have a 32" Panny Viera 1080p. I also have a 40" Samsung and it looks like shit on both. I tried playing on an SD TV yesterday but I was struggling to read the text on Xenoblade.

Varion

Ledsen said:
Fuck you Gentle Alphonso!

Also, I HATE HATE HATE map square OCD... takes ages to swim everywhere.
Haha, you've seen nothing... ;_; I had it too and there are a couple of areas that are just so full of swimming it takes ages to fill the whole thing in.

Personally I'm keeping at least one little bit of the map where I know there's nothing left unfilled so I can tell when I've all the locations/landmarks (because if I remember rightly it fills the whole map in when you've got them all)

Ledsen

RPGCrazied said:

HDMI wouldn't really make a difference since the reason it looks like shit is that it's only 480p. And no, you're not alone, it looks crap on all HDTV:s.

weeaboo

Argh, so I managed to finish the
Ether Cave
but then, I don't know why, I returned to Gaur Plains and I'm stuck again at that gorgeous place doing sidequest.

This game GAF, THIS FUCKING GAME!!!

Zafir

Double checked you've got it set to 480p? Otherwise, I'm not going to lie, it'll probably look like arse on most decently sized HDTVs regardless of the settings you have unless you sit far enough back not to notice the jagged edges.

Luigiv

RPGCrazied said:
Your TV is cheap. Not all scaler modules are made equal. And the Wii doesn't have HDMI because it's pointless on an SD system.

evilalien

Varion said:
Haha, you've seen nothing... ;_; I had it too and there are a couple of areas that are just so full of swimming it takes ages to fill the whole thing in.

Personally I'm keeping at least one little bit of the map where I know there's nothing left unfilled so I can tell when I've all the locations/landmarks (because if I remember rightly it fills the whole map in when you've got them all)

Do you actually have to go everywhere to fill in the entire map? I noticed that for the colony 9 map, the entire thing filled in for me once I got all the landmarks. At least I think that is what triggered it; regardless, I never got all of the water blocks and they are filled in now.

I think I'm at a point where certain quests expire if I haven't done them already. So now I have finished all marked quests except for one, which wants me to collect certain materials from monsters that I'm completely unable to find. >:I

RPGCrazied

Zafir said:
Double checked you've got it set to 480p? Otherwise, I'm not going to lie, it'll probably look like arse on most decently sized HDTVs regardless of the settings you have unless you sit far enough back not to notice the jagged edges.

Yeah, its 480p. I think its going to look as good as its going to get. I have sharpness way low, dynamic contrast off, black level on dark and edge enhancement is off. I know all TVs are different but this is what mine has.

Luigiv said:
Your TV is cheap. Not all scaler modules are made equal. And the Wii doesn't have HDMI because it's pointless on an SD system.

It was like $500 when I bought it a couple years ago. :(

2San

Gambit said:
Yes, I am exploiting that as good as I can. Once they're down, I use the backstabbing skill, just like you said. I didn't manage to beat the caterpillar, but when I met that I was only level 6!

I have to admit I sometimes miss the QTE. Or at least i don't know when to press it. Do I press B as soon as "time slows" or when it appears on screen? What does it do? Is that chaining my attacks?
No you press B when it's between the outer ring and the B button(the one on screen). Not sure what it does. It's some kind of stat boost, I think. It does add extra rounds in chain attacks(which does help a lot). I think I was over-leveled(didn't grind all I did was explore and side quests), maybe that's why it was easy for me.

Aeana

I honestly think 480p stuff looks acceptable over component on my 50 inch Viera plasma, and my 32 inch LG LCD both. The image is softer due to the upscaling, but it isn't too awful. I've seen it look much worse on other TVs, though.

Varion

evilalien said:
Do you actually have to go everywhere to fill in the entire map? I noticed that for the colony 9 map, the entire thing filled in for me once I got all the landmarks. At least I think that is what triggered it; regardless, I never got all of the water blocks and they are filled in now.
Turned the game on to check and yeah, if you get every landmark and location (the 'landmarks' that don't have a landmark symbol so you can't teleport to them) then the whole map is revealed.

donkey show said:
Thanks! =) I just got this 46" Viera earlier this week and it plays SD content extremely well. I was just playing with the 2D>3D to see how it looked and there's a decent amount of depth given as well. It's so good. :3
Shit, man. Wii games looks absolutely awful on my 42" Viera.

eLZhi said:
Shit, man. Wii games looks absolutely awful on my 42" Viera.
I have the VT model and it's been rather awesome. It's definitely no CRT as you'll never get rid of the jaggies, but it does display Wii content ages better than other TVs I've had.

Sennorin

Banned
Omg, why is this game SO good?!

I spent another 2 hours and only did one story-scene, which maybe took 20 minutes. Meaning, well over 1,5 hours spent on sidequests and random exploration. That´s like never happened to me before, since right about every game gets boring after a while if you´re not following the main path. Not so in Xenoblade. What makes it all so great is because everything is inter-connected. You´re not just exploring for getting to see nice vistas, no, you also get experience points for finding them, you´ll find new monsters and items on your way, do sidequests and...have fun. Seriously, sooo good.

Who´d have thunk that one day, the best JRPGs would come from Nintendo? Bizarro World.

Btw. those time-limited sidequests...how much time to you have to do them? I could leave the Gaur plains now for the next area, but I´m afraid that then these quests would expire. Is there a counter anywhere? I don´t know what to do, since there´s at least one timed sidequest where I have to somehow pass by a level 75 fish monster, which is, seemingly, impossible to bypass. But I doubt that the quest grants me enough time to get my party to level 75, am I right, lol.

donkey show said:
I have the VT model and it's been rather awesome. It's definitely no CRT as you'll never get rid of the jaggies, but it does display Wii content ages better than other TVs I've had.

Hmm. how much was it? My dad was interested in getting an HDTV. Displaying SD content well would be nice.

RPGCrazied said:
32" LG LCD here. 720p. Wii games look fine on it. I don't have Xenoblade though.

Yet.

Sennorin said:
Btw. those time-limited sidequests...how much time to you have to do them? I could leave the Gaur plains now for the next area, but I´m afraid that then these quests would expire. Is there a counter anywhere? I don´t know what to do, since there´s at least one timed sidequest where I have to somehow pass by a level 75 fish monster, which is, seemingly, impossible to bypass. But I doubt that the quest grants me enough time to get my party to level 75, am I right, lol.
You will know when those particular quests (in Gaur Plains that is) are about to expire.

[Nintex]

The best part about the sidequests and stuff is that you get the reward instantly. You don't have to go back and hunt down the guy you helped out. You're instantly awesome.

RPGCrazied

Jaded Alyx said:
32" LG LCD here. 720p. Wii games look fine on it. I don't have Xenoblade though.

Yet.

I don't get it. I thought Samsung is a good TV brand? It was a Christmas present a few years ago, and the people buying it for me knew I was an avid gamer. What kind of settings do you use?

Backlight level?
Sharpness?
Contrast?

Vinny Caravella should be right at home with his Quest-OCD that he explained during his playthrough of DA2. This game is going to take him months. :-D

Just defeated

STORY SPOILER
XORD. cool battle adn the scenes after that were wonderful as well. Game is building up to bigger things now and I can't wait to see what's ahead.
END SPOILER

Don't care much about the story itself though but the world and character design is extremely clicking with me.

Varion

Twilight Princess said:
Do you guys kill the baby monsters? I find myself only killing the adult ones
Depends, if they're near an adult one they'll generally get caught up in the fight, if it's just a few on their own then I'll leave them, and of course if they've got a blue or grey status box then they're getting killed regardless.

Sennorin said:
I don´t know what to do, since there´s at least one timed sidequest where I have to somehow pass by a level 75 fish monster, which is, seemingly, impossible to bypass. But I doubt that the quest grants me enough time to get my party to level 75, am I right, lol.
There's no timer unfortunately. Although is the fish monster you're referring to the one in front of a mining point? If so try changing the time of day, it wasn't there when I finally did that quest. Think the L70 fishes only come out at night.

Also while people are talking about how it looks the environments look great on my 32" Panasonic LCD (if I'd known Plasmas had long moved on from image retention issues I'd have bought one of those... oh well. It's years old now). I sit a fair distance from the TV, but really I have no complaints about the environments.

RPGCrazied said:
I don't get it. I thought Samsung is a good TV brand? It was a Christmas present a few years ago, and the people buying it for me knew I was an avid gamer. What kind of settings do you use?

Backlight level?
Sharpness?
Contrast?
Backlight 60
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Sharpness 55

About non-timed quests, will they always be available, even during the end of the game? If that's the case, it seems like a good idea to do timed quests when you get them and non timed ones later on or at the end of the game so you're not overleveled and so it doesn't seem overwhelming.

But then do some people give you timed quests if you do a non timed quest for them first or no?

Top Bottom