• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Aeana

Peff said:
How many waves do you have to defeat in the bridge in order to finish the first quest? I went there after I got to the fetch quest in Satori Marsh and managed to defeat the first mob of six only to find out that there's another higher level one spawning right there. Is that the last one?
Yeah, only two.

Subxero

ASDA shipped my order today. It said it should arrive in 10-15 days since I'm in the US. It would be nice to get it by next Saturday though. Installed HBC and Gecko last night in about 15 min. Thanks for the excellent guide. I was able to load up a Japanese copy of SoulCaliber 2 I have. So I guess everything is in order. I can't wait!

Planning on ordering this within the next week or so. Figured I'd get my Wii ready in advance so I ask this: Is LetterBomb what I should be looking at to mod my Wii?

Zafir said:
Where are the Brogs in the Bionis' Leg? Need meat off them, managed to get one piece of the unique monster you need to kill for a quest, but can't find any more...
If you travel to the upper level of the leg, there's a large marshy area north of Spiral Valley and east of the Zax Guidepost, there are lots of Brogs there in the day time

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
For those having a hard time with the text, it's definitely true that setting it to widescreen makes the text much clearer. I could barely read the equipment comparison statistics in particular, especially the colored red/blue text, but setting the Wii to widescreen (and the TV also so that it doesn't stretch the picture to fill the whole screen) fixed that, at least on my ancient tiny 4:3 Sony Trinitron SDTV. It doesn't seem to lose any screen space compared to the default mode, the game really seems to have a widescreen view even when your Wii is set to 4:3, which is weird, it's not a side scroller or something like DKCR where a proper 4:3 mode would mean you view less of the level, in a game like this it would barely affect anything and you can always zoom further out if you want a wider view. It's gonna be a hassle to switch back and forth for different games but I guess I could leave it like this until I'm done with Xenoblade unless I feel like playing some pointer heavy game that I'd need the full screen to enjoy properly. Anyway, I'm just about to leave Colony 9, I really like the game so far but the combat will take a while to get used to, I mostly skipped the tutorials. The whole break + topple to allow damage on Mechon thing seems like such a hassle since you can't choose what your partners do all the time, only when you have the chain attack thing (right?).

Also posted this on the Homebrew thread -

Just to be clear, if I'm simply modding for imports and use an SD card, the only memory usage I'll be using is for the mod files, correct? Or do I have to also rip the game on to the SD card?

Alexios

Just follow Clipper's guide, it tells you exactly what you do when you click on what you want to do and it tells what you need before that, if anything. It will only tell you how to install USB loaders and how to rip games and such if you click that you want that. You don't need to rip the game if you want to play off the disc. Start with the launch page.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Alextended said:
For those having a hard time with the text, it's definitely true that setting it to widescreen makes the text much clearer. I could barely read the equipment comparison statistics in particular, especially the colored red/blue text, but setting the Wii to widescreen (and the TV also so that it doesn't stretch the picture to fill the whole screen) fixed that, at least on my ancient tiny 4:3 Sony Trinitron SDTV. It doesn't seem to lose any screen space compared to the default mode, the game really seems to have a widescreen view even when your Wii is set to 4:3, which is weird, it's not a side scroller or something like DKCR where a proper 4:3 mode would mean you view less of the level, in a game like this it would barely affect anything and you can always zoom further out if you want a wider view. It's gonna be a hassle to switch back and forth for different games but I guess I could leave it like this until I'm done with Xenoblade unless I feel like playing some pointer heavy game that I'd need the full screen to enjoy properly. Anyway, I'm just about to leave Colony 9, I really like the game so far but the combat will take a while to get used to, I mostly skipped the tutorials. The whole break + topple to allow damage on Mechon thing seems like such a hassle since you can't choose what your partners do all the time, only when you have the chain attack thing (right?).
But what's happening is you are watching a 16:9 image squished into a 4:3 screen. The characters will appear thin. This kind of thing would drive me up the wall and I can't believe you don't even appear to notice it, but if it fixes your text problem then more power to you....

Unless you are talking about using your TV's 16:9 mode that a few sets had... that would actually not be a bad idea.

Sennorin

Banned
You know, if I had to name ONE complaint about the game, it´s the high level monsters you enter early in the way. They are *impossible* to beat if you aren´t their level. What I mean, is, they´re not there as an extra challenge, they´re there to wait for you to reach their level. Other JRPGs have stronger-than-usual enemies, too, but if you play it smart, you *can* beat them. Not so much in Xenoblade.

That´s the downside. The upside of it is that it gives the world a lot of value for later revisiting. Guess you can´t have both.

Alexios

BocoDragon said:
Unless you are talking about using your TV's 16:9 mode that a few sets had... that would actually not be a bad idea.
I haven't seen any TVs without it, cheap or not and of various brands or age, and yes, I specified also setting the TV to widescreen mode to avoid picture stretching. That way the screen view and estate is identical to 4:3 mode in the case of Xenoblade, there are no larger black bars or anything, but the picture is definitely clearer for whatever reason. I guess if someone's SDTV doesn't have a widescreen mode they'll have to put up with the blurred text instead.

Aeana

Sennorin said:
You know, if I had to name ONE complaint about the game, it´s the high level monsters you enter early in the way. They are *impossible* to beat if you aren´t their level. What I mean, is, they´re not there as an extra challenge, they´re there to wait for you to reach their level. Other JRPGs have stronger-than-usual enemies, too, but if you play it smart, you *can* beat them. Not so much in Xenoblade.

That´s the downside. The upside of it is that it gives the world a lot of value for later revisiting. Guess you can´t have both.
I'd say that the reason they're there is to add a level of real danger to exploration. Other games have done this, like in FF12, there are level 30+ enemies in Giza Plains when you visit there the first time. That said, I think Xenoblade does take it a little too far, because it makes some places (like Satorl at night) nearly impossible to explore. There's just too many aggressive high-leveled enemies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My copy arrives next week by the looks of things. Excuse what is probably a repeated question, but can I expect to play through this start-to-finish on Dolphin? i5 2500K @4.3Ghz and 570GTX.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Alextended said:
I haven't seen any TVs without it, cheap or not and of various brands and yes, I specified also setting the TV to widescreen mode to avoid stretching. That way the screen view and estate is identical to 4:3 mode for Xenoblade, no extra black bars or anything, but the picture is definitely clearer for whatever reason. I guess if someone's SDTV doesn't have a widescreen mode they'll have to put up with the blurred text instead.
If that's what you're doing then it is a good idea indeed. It's quite possible that the letterboxing in 4:3 sacrifices some of the resolution to the black bars, while 16:9 uses the full resolution of the Wii to put out the game image. That could be why text is more legible.

Got the game!
MarioParty.png

wsippel

Banned
Sennorin said:

The monsters are not meant to be "stronger than usual". You're simply not meant to fight them yet. They're different tiers of enemies roaming the same area, usually related to quests much later in the game. I think it makes a lot more sense than replacing all enemies with stronger ones later in the game, or using that linked level bullshit Bethesda used to do - what's the point in leveling up if random trash mobs level up with you?

MechaX

Aeana said:
I'd say that the reason they're there is to add a level of real danger to exploration. Other games have done this, like in FF12, there are level 30+ enemies in Giza Plains when you visit there the first time. That said, I think Xenoblade does take it a little too far, because it makes some places (like Satorl at night) nearly impossible to explore. There's just too many aggressive high-leveled enemies.

Nothing was more haunting in FFXII than accidentally casting magic when an Elemental was looming in the background. But at least they were non-aggressive outside of fulfilling certain conditions to set them off. Does Xenoblade at least have a fair amount of neutral high leveled enemies or is it mostly just aggressive ones?

bubnbob said:
Where is Daksha Shrine? I have to go there for the Giant's Mirror.
Travel east from the Kamos Guidepost a short while and then noth once you hit the left edge of Raguel Lake, you'll come to a passage in between two rocksides, that leads to the shrine

enjoy!/trollface

Aeana

MechaX said:
Nothing was more haunting in FFXII than accidentally casting magic when an Elemental was looming in the background. But at least they were non-aggressive outside of fulfilling certain conditions to set them off. Does Xenoblade at least have a fair amount of neutral high leveled enemies or is it mostly just aggressive ones?
There are lots of neutral ones, too.
And the game also has its own version of those elementals that aggro ether use.

Sennorin

Banned
wsippel said:
The monsters are not meant to be "stronger than usual". You're simply not meant to fight them yet. They're different tiers of enemies roaming the same area, usually related to quests much later in the game. I think it makes a lot more sense than replacing all enemies with stronger ones later in the game, or using that linked level bullshit Bethesda used to do - what's the point in leveling up if random trash mobs level up with you?

I fully understand why they decided what they did, still isn´t perfect, is it. Though I wonder why there´s only level 70 and upwards enemies walking around. Haven´t seen a level 30 or 50 enemy yet. Maybe that´s part of what seems strange to me.

Zafir

BlazingDarkness said:
Don't go to Daksha Shrine if you don't like spiders :lol
I just had a heart attack
I know what you mean! I just wandered there while exploring places on the map, picked up the item, and was saw the spider. Safe to say I absolutely bolted as soon as I saw that it was level 32. xD

wsippel

Banned
MechaX said:
Most of them are either neutral, or confined to specific places in an area. There are very few aggressive high level mobs roaming the area, and those are obviously there to add some tension. There are also tons of high level elementals (80+) in some areas that will only attack if you're using magic - either be careful or switch out your magic users in those areas.

Also, if high and low level enemies near each other, pulling helps: Select the low level enemy and press up on the dpad first, then A.

Sennorin said:
I fully understand why they decided what they did, still isn´t perfect, is it. Though I wonder why there´s only level 70 and upwards enemies walking around. Haven´t seen a level 30 or 50 enemy yet. Maybe that´s part of what seems strange to me.
There are plenty of level 30-40 enemies wandering around the Bionis Knee

bubnbob

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Travel east from the Kamos Guidepost a short while and then noth once you hit the left edge of Raguel Lake, you'll come to a passage in between two rocksides, that leads to the shrine

enjoy!/trollface

Thanks, I beat him.

I'm Level 32
/iaintevenmad

wsippel

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:

enjoy!/trollface
What follows is an even better troll - I almost wet my pants... ;)

bubnbob

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Can anybody tell me roughly where these two landmarks are on the Bionis Knee
Kasharpa Waterfall and Sky Stage
I can't seem to find them

The first:

It's not anywhere in the first area. It's past Raguel Bridge, up the road. You'll see a waterfall not soon after

The second:

Directly north of Viliera Hill

wsippel

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Can anybody tell me roughly where these two landmarks are on the Bionis Knee
Kasharpa Waterfall and Sky Stage
I can't seem to find them
Upper level, lower right side and lower level, just left of Daksha Shrine.

bubnbob said:
The first:

It's not anywhere in the first area. It's past Raguel Bridge, up the road. You'll see a waterfall not soon after

The second:

Directly north of Viliera Hill

Cheers, I found the first one as soon as I posted

Where is
Viliera Hill?

NVM found it :lol

Zafir

Haha. Found the secret area in Bionis' Leg. Couldn't stay there for long though, that high level gryphon flew towards me so I jumped off into the water.

Zafir

BlazingDarkness said:
How do I get unique monsters to respawn?
I killed 2 or 3 earlier and now I have a quest to kill them, but they haven't respawned D:
Just wait a long time I think. That's what I had to do for the unique monster in colony 9 that I accidentally killed before getting the quest.

I'm in the same situation with the terkin unique. Stuck waiting for it to respawn.

Top Bottom