• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Antagon

PumpkinPie said:
As much as I'm enjoying the game I'm quite pissed off that after 5 years of the Wii they couldn't make a game that rivalled FFXII's graphics. Xenoblade is nowhere close, maybe budget makes a bigger difference than I though.

Depends on what you're looking at. Close up the game is definitely a step down from FFXII, but if you look at the overal picture with the huge draw distances, dynamic day night and weather systems, all the foliage and such it's definitely a lot more demanding then FFXII was.

Sigh.

Figures that the day after I buy Xenoblade is the day my Wii decides it doesn't want to read disks anymore. :(

And to add insult to injury, my download of the soundtrack keeps stopping at about 70% too.

Woe is me.

KarmaCow

slaughterking said:
No, you can't.
And I would say distracting yourself with a podcast is not how this game is meant to be played at all. But that's, of course, your decision.

That's a shame, too many voices at once starts to give me a headache when I'm trying to listen to a conversation.

And I wouldn't exclusively play it while listening to a podcast of course, but it seems good for the more basic quests. I play parts of New Vegas while listening to podcasts, but only when I'm just wandering around, looking for quests to do later.

Luigiv

zoukka said:
Hyperbole is you.
Not really. The Wii is in an order of about 3x the power of the PS2. It's an expected outcome. Of course I'm talking purely from a raw technology perspective. The best art direction always makes the most of what technology it does have, whilst weaker art direction will squander it. And that's not even taking into account opinions of which aesthetic really looks best.

But yeah, from a technology perspective the Wii's best looking games run loops around FFXII.

Been exploring the Bionis Leg and at the same time doing sidequests. Current Level is 23, about 12 hours in. I'm addicted to the game. Now that the game opened up, it felt like grand pulse in FFXIII. Question for others. Have you guys found any secret sidequest?

FreeMufasa

Arrived! and only a day after release. I've got quite a bit to do today so I probably won't be able to play untill later tonight.

Gambit

Still enjoying it, but either I don't get the battle system yet or am just underlevelled. (Just two-three hours in)

The colony is being attacked atm and I am at level ten. I keep on dying, which already happened in the cave that I went through to geth the Ether-capsules. Maybe I am drawing too many enemies at once, but even one Lv 10 Mechon alone is quite strong for me. Or am I meant to flee?

What level should I be at?

One of the best features of this game, the quick travel, might be my downfall. Because I can zap around the place, I don't grind enough. Well, once it's really starting, I am sure it will be different.

Gambit said:
Still enjoying it, but either I don't get the battle system yet or am just underlevelled. (Just two-three hours in)

The colony is being attacked atm and I am at level ten. I keep on dying, which already happened in the cave that I went through to geth the Ether-capsules. Maybe I am drawing too many enemies at once, but even one Lv 10 Mechon alone is quite strong for me. Or am I meant to flee?

One of the best features of this game, the quick travel, might be my downfall. Because I can zap around the place, I don't grind enough. Well, once it's really starting, I am sure it will be different.

You should be avoiding those enemies at that point.

protonion

There are so many games I want this year and nowdays I wait and buy them cheaper.

So is this game expected to become rare in the near future? Should I hurry?

Gambit

MiloFoxburr said:

Oh ok, thanks. It does make sense to wait to have the proper weapon. But some of them are so obviously in my way, I just had to poke them a wee bit

vitacola

protonion said:
There are so many games I want this year and nowdays I wait and buy them cheaper.

It's a Nintendo game, it won't get that much cheaper.

FreeMufasa

protonion said:

Depends. If it sells good no, if it does, yes. It'll likely become rare.

But you probably have around 6 months till that happens. I expect the price to be at its lowest around then before it starts going up.

Feep

Banned
Vangu Vegro said:
Sigh.

Figures that the day after I buy Xenoblade is the day my Wii decides it doesn't want to read disks anymore. :(

And to add insult to injury, my download of the soundtrack keeps stopping at about 70% too.

Woe is me.
Is it still piracy if you legally own the game, and torrent the .ISO to use with CFG?

Because if you need it like I need it, damn. Sorry, man.

Apenheul

Vangu Vegro said:
Sigh.

Woe is me.

Do all discs fail on your system or just Xenoblade (and the other dual-layer games such as Metroid other M and Super Smash Bros Brawl)? It might just be a dirty lens which you can clean with Nintendo's lens cleaning kit (I personally used 96% cleaning alcohol instead of the cleaning fluid that comes with it, it worked MUCH better), if not a single game plays then it might mean that the lens/laser is damaged.

Aru

Feep said:
Is it still piracy if you legally own the game, and torrent the .ISO to use with CFG?

Because if you need it like I need it, damn. Sorry, man.

Yes it is, because you don't make the backup by yourself.

Satori Marsh is such an amazing area. At first was very pleased by the nice daytime atmosphere, but then the night kicked in and I was blown away by this dreamlike mood. What a great place.
The enemies there offer a really nice challenge, too, and the sidequests seem to constantly get more depth and personality. Really like where this is going.

Somewhat big sidequest spoiler (about 17 hours in):
You can apparently re-build Colony 6. Haven't gone back to it yet, but seeing 'city building quests' progress is always great fun. Can't wait to check this out.

RPGCrazied

Today's the day! I feel lucky, come on mail, let it be here today! I know I've waiting only 6 days so far, but I'd like to play now. :)

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Finally got my CE edition today. The CC looks and feels kind of cheap, but the 3 posters are beautiful. See you next week, GAF! Time to play Xenoblade.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
slaughterking said:
Somewhat big sidequest spoiler (about 17 hours in):
You can apparently re-build Colony 6. Haven't gone back to it yet, but seeing 'city building quests' progress is always great fun. Can't wait to check this out.

It's pretty fun, yeah. Especially
finding characters to invite to live there.
I always love stuff like that.

It can be a pain to find all the required items though. I don't want to think about how much time I spent looking for them :<

Diffense

RPGCrazied said:
Today's the day! I feel lucky, come on mail, let it be here today! I know I've waiting only 6 days so far, but I'd like to play now. :)

I really want to have it for some of the weekend.
My Wii is ready!

2San

Antagon said:
Depends on what you're looking at. Close up the game is definitely a step down from FFXII, but if you look at the overal picture with the huge draw distances, dynamic day night and weather systems, all the foliage and such it's definitely a lot more demanding then FFXII was.
Isn't it running on a higher resolution as well? FFXII looks like a hot jaggy mess on my HD tv. While Xenoblade looks ok(for an SD game).

2San

Gambit said:

Are you exploiting the break -> topple -> daze mechanic? That in combi with the team attacks worked for me. That quick time event with pressing B helps a lot as well. Go all out with backstabbing as well(seems to be my best damaging skill). I managed to kill the lvl 10 caterpillar(special mob in the first cave) at lvl 10 like that as well.
Vangu Vegro said:
Sigh.

Woe is me.
What's this about downloading the soundtrack?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just bought it with the Classic Pro Controller. I havent read anything about this game and am purely relying on you guys saying its awesome. I want to be surprised by a great, long RPG again. The last one in that category for me was Nocturne.

RPGCrazied

2San said:
Are you exploiting the break -> topple -> daze mechanic? That in combi with the team attacks worked for me. That quick time event with pressing B helps a lot as well. Go all out with backstabbing as well(seems to be my best damaging skill). I managed to kill the lvl 10 caterpillar(special mob in the first cave) at lvl 10 like that as well.

Registering your game at Club Nintendo UK, or something like that.

wrowa

I'm 8:30 hours into the game and ... I still haven't left Colony 9. Seriously. I tried to make as many quests as I can before leaving and then when I wanted to leave I disocvered the affinity chart... and now I'm helping EVEN MORE people. I just busted Colony 9's debt collector, great times!

Honestly, the game's hitting all the right notes so far. Really, really, great.

MiloFoxburr said:
well... I've defeated pretty much all of them. Without the Monado :lol

Foffy

Banned
This may be a spoiler, but when do the quests with timers stop being available? Usually I play a game until the end, then do any sidequests I miss, but I've heard that these quests expire. What causes them to expire, and if I missed one, will the game tell me?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Foffy said:
This may be a spoiler, but when do the quests with timers stop being available? Usually I play a game until the end, then do any sidequests I miss, but I've heard that these quests expire. What causes them to expire, and if I missed one, will the game tell me?

There are a certain group of quests that WILL expire very soon after doing a certain dungeon not too long after you get the quests in the first place (depending on how gungho you are about continuing on with the story.) If you want to do all quests I recommend trying to do them as soon as you get them. These sort of timed quests happen in a few places during the game.

Also, I THINK these have a timer on them as well, but I'm not sure. There are some where you have a choice between two outcomes, and the other expires as soon as you complete one of the options. They won't end at a set period of time though, so you don't have to worry about that.

Gambit

2San said:

Yes, I am exploiting that as good as I can. Once they're down, I use the backstabbing skill, just like you said. I didn't manage to beat the caterpillar, but when I met that I was only level 6!

I have to admit I sometimes miss the QTE. Or at least i don't know when to press it. Do I press B as soon as "time slows" or when it appears on screen? What does it do? Is that chaining my attacks?

One more thing I forgot to meantion before. I bought the special edition with the CCpro and am not regretting it, because it looks nifty. Still, I tried playing with it and I much prefer the regular CC. Perhaps it's because the SNES dominated my formative years. So in my opinion: CC>>CCpro. Anyone agree?

Do all discs fail on your system or just Xenoblade (and the other dual-layer games such as Metroid other M and Super Smash Bros Brawl)? It might just be a dirty lens which you can clean with Nintendo's lens cleaning kit (I personally used 96% cleaning alcohol instead of the cleaning fluid that comes with it, it worked MUCH better), if not a single game plays then it might mean that the lens/laser is damaged.

I've got too many games to try them all, but all I've tried have failed.

I've already filled in the repair form at Nintendo's site, so now I'm waiting for a reply. This being the weekend probably won't help, sadly.

Luigiv

2San said:
Isn't it running on a higher resolution as well? FFXII looks like a hot jaggy mess on my HD tv. While Xenoblade looks ok(for an SD game).
Yeah, I believe FFXII's 16:9 mode is actually 640x360 shortscreen, with a smaller field of view then it's 4:3 mode. Xenoblade on the other hand, being a Nintendo game, is guaranteed to be in anamorphic widescreen (640x480 with rectangular pixels) with a wider field of view then it's 4:3 mode.

Or at least I think. Could be wrong about FFXII, it's been a while since I checked.

Sadist

Stumpokapow said:
I used the last of my Mercy Points to change the title, so I think it goes without saying that anyone dumb enough to sacrifice their account after this point in the thread is going to get the book thrown at them.
Oh lol, guess I missed all that.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Reknoc said:
I've thought long and hard about this but I think I've finally come to a decision;

Nopons are the best.

I like the sounds they make. I don't know what they say in English, but I love all of their "mooo"'s and "juwaaa"'s.

Marbles

God damn this game is a blurry mess and i'm playing it on an old 23" SD. Anyway...I totally missed how I'm supposed to switch party leaders. Could someone enlighten me?? Using Wiimote and chuck.

Zafir

It's in the menu, open the menu up, and press the first option that is highlighted. It'll bring you onto the party screen, just drag whoever you want to lead into the middle of the 3. It'll say in the bottom corner which button is is to select character.

Top Bottom