• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Arcblade

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Really? The ending for XII made me feel fuzzy inside.

Yeah, man.

Totally.

I wanted my characters' families avenged, their nation restored.

The way they totally changed their minds at the end killed the game like drowning a puppy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Arcblade said:
Yeah, man.

Totally.

I wanted my characters' families avenged, their nation restored.

The way they totally changed their mins at the end killed the game like drowning a puppy.
Not sure what you mean? (XII spoilers)
Didn't they defeat the enemy prince after he used the evil power, call off the enemy attack and restore Ashe to the throne? I assumed they got everything they wanted.

Feep

Banned
felipepl said:
5bZWc.jpg
Dat AA

I have a 37 inch HDTV for my Wii, but man, it has a shitty conversion chip or something, because the jaggies from my component cable are sharp enough to cut my wrists. I actually normally use a crappy 23-inch SD set, but I hear the text in this game is small enough that I may have to use HD just to see it. = (

Arcblade

Banned
So... anyone going to shred some light on whether or not Dolphin can be run off of a good laptop?

I shall order the CE tonight, if so.

Victrix

*beard*
Arcblade said:
I actually had zero problems with 12, save for the ending.

But the ending completely killed it for me.

An epic quest for vengence and reckoning for loved ones, lives, and nation lost, collapses into the chorus for "Why Can't We Be Friends", roll credits.

FF12 ended at the top of the tower, I don't know what you're talking about, I remember liking the ending!

(and yes, this game's videos initially attracted me because I totally loved 12)

Arcblade

Banned
Victrix said:
FF12 ended at the top of the tower, I don't know what you're talking about, I remember liking the ending!

(and yes, this game's videos initially attracted me because I totally loved 12)

It ended with the Empire still on one piece, ruling the lands it had so savagely conquered, their peoples still its subjects.

That sucked, imo.

Reknoc

Hahaha, oh dear. I don't know if this makes me love the dub more or less but I burst out laughing when (late gaur plains)
the mechon spoke

BocoDragon

Arcblade said:
It ended with the Empire still on one piece, ruling the lands it had so savagely conquered, their peoples still its subjects.

(FFXII spoilers)
But Dalmasca regained independence...

The Empire needn't be wiped out. Just restore the one nation we ever saw subjugated to freedom. Archadia as a country should still exist... it just got a change of leadership in the form of Larsa.

If there are other subjugated peoples under the Empire, leave that plotline to Final Fantasy XII-2
In Space

legend166

I swear if there are people out there who would have bought it if released in America, but are pirating instead of simply importing it, I want to find them and slap them in the face.

Luigiv

Arcblade said:
So... anyone going to shed some light on whether or not Dolphin can be run off of a good laptop?

I shall order the CE tonight, if so.
Depends on how exactly how good you're laptop is really. Xenoblade is suppose to be quite resource intensive though, So I wouldn't hold my breath.

The problem with dolphin is that it does 90% of it's emulation on the CPU, with very little offloaded to the GPU. On top of that, Dolphin only supports up to 2 cores. As such your CPU needs to be fairly beefy to handle a complexly coded game like Xenoblade. I'm talking 3.5-4GHz here.

Arcblade

Banned
Luigiv said:
Depends on how exactly how good you're laptop is really. Xenoblade is suppose to be quite resource intensive though, So I wouldn't hold my breath.

The problem with dolphin is that it does 90% of it's emulation on the CPU, with very little offloaded to the GPU. On top of that, Dolphin only supports up to 2 cores. As such your CPU needs to be fairly beefy to handle a complexly coded like Xenoblade. I'm talking 3.5-4GHz here.

1.7 quad core.

So basically what you are telling me is that I either have to go ahead and mod the Wii to play EU, or else hope and pray and eventually curse their name when noa doesn't deliver on our shores?

Victrix

*beard*
The Wii mod is incredibly simple and safe, the import price is about that of a normal retail release here. You know what to do.

BocoDragon

Arcblade said:
1.7 quad core.

So basically what you are telling me is that I either have to go ahead and mod the Wii to play EU, or else hope and pray and eventually curse their name when noa doesn't deliver on our shores?
Mod your Wii. It's safe and easy.

Sophia

Arcblade said:
1.7 quad core.

Don't even bother with emulation. Go ahead and mod your Wii, as it's extremely easy, and impossible to brick.

Codeblue

legend166 said:
I swear if there are people out there who would have bought it if released in America, but are pirating instead of simply importing it, I want to find them and slap them in the face.

They deserve to be slapped for ruining the thread title, piracy warrants a kick to the shins or something.

Luigiv

Arcblade said:
1.7 quad core.

Well you'd have to mod your Wii anyway in order to play it on Dolphin in the first place, so go ahead and mod.

Breaking the region encoding requires less modding then ripping the ISO does anyway.

Sophia

Arcblade said:
Impossible to brick?

Sounds like more money leaving the U.S. economy. :)

Yup. As long as you follow instructions, the basic mod of Homebrew Channel + Gecko OS is impossible to brick. Even my computer illiterate mother could do it if I linked her the GAF Wiki. >_>

Feep

Banned
Arcblade said:
Impossible to brick?

Sounds like more money leaving the U.S. economy. :)
I was a little worried myself, man, but the new LetterBomb technique makes it INSANELY IMPOSSIBLY easy.

Getting CFG working (to rip/play Wii games from a hard drive) is a bit tougher, and when I say a bit tougher, I mean fourth grade level shit. But just region unlocking? SO EASY.

I am so ready.

Arcblade

Banned
Marrshu said:
Yup. As long as you follow instructions, the basic mod of Homebrew Channel + Gecko OS is impossible to brick. Even my computer illiterate mother could do it if I linked her the GAF Wiki. >_>

Awesome.

I've been itching for a good party of characters type RPG since the PS2's swansong, Persona 4.

Victrix

*beard*
We'll know in a week or two, but this is increasingly looking like another Demon's Souls situation

(this is a good situation)

sdornan

I'm new here, so don't bite my head off if this has already been thoroughly discussed but...

Is there a reason that Nintendo isn't releasing the game in the US?

Diffense

:eek:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/videos/interview_videos/ia_xenoblade_vol3_video_13_uk.flv
(scenery changes)

I should have seen this before but the level of care still floored me for a moment.
What did they leave out of this game?

I'm new here, so don't bite my head off if this has already been thoroughly discussed but...

It was on the release list for years and shown at E3 in 2009.
It disappeared after last E3 and the few media questions about it were met with "no comment".
When pestered (by OpRainfall) NOA simply said they had "no plans" to release it.
As for the reason: your guess is as good as mine.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
just a quick question:

I am not an RPG lover at all, I did buy Zelda OoT as was told it was more Action based (really loved it)

I never seem to gel with RPG's or JRPG's (except Shenmue, the first disc I played of Panzer Dragoon saga) I usually find them not to my tastes and take too long to get going (well for me)

but I'll be dammed if this game doesn't look awesome, what I am asking is, for a complete RPGphobe/Newbie, would this game even be worth picking up? (also not looking into alternative games or RPG games to cut my teeth on, just asking about this game)

I want to take the plunge but I know if I buy it I will give it a quick once over then shelf it, ala MH Tri.... what to do?

maybe I'll rent it from lovefilm if they have it or wait until it drops enough in price to pick up for cheap...I am in two minds one part says give it a go the other is saying you wont like it, dont buy it.

so GAF yay or nay??

Luigiv

sdornan said:

JRPGs don't sell well in the West any more. The heydays are long gone. On top of that, the American Dollar is piss weak yet the price of games remain the same as it's been all generation. Because of that NoA has simply come to the decision that Xenoblade would not be profitable in the US. I don't blame them. In fact, I'm surprised NoE is as game as they are. Guess the exchange rates and possibly cheaper localisation costs make the difference.

Diffense

jufonuk:

With MHTri the gameplay mechanics are the main thing.
Xenoblade, from what I've gleaned, is a lot more about exploration and story.
But in the end only you can decide if you might like it.

Sophia

jufonuk said:
just a quick question:

I am not an RPG lover at all, I did buy Zelda OoT as was told it was more Action based (really loved it)

I never seem to gel with RPG's or JRPG's (except Shenmue, the first disc I played of Panzer Dragoon saga) I usually find them not to my tastes and take too long to get going (well for me)

but I'll be dammed if this game doesn't look awesome, what I am asking is, for a complete RPGphobe/Newbie, would this game even be worth picking up? (also not looking into alternative games or RPG games to cut my teeth on, just asking about this game)

I want to take the plunge but I know if I buy it I will give it a quick once over then shelf it, ala MH Tri.... what to do?

maybe I'll rent it from lovefilm if they have it or wait until it drops enough in price to pick up for cheap...I am in two minds one part says give it a go the other is saying you wont like it, dont buy it.

so GAF yay or nay??

This game's pretty RPG beginner friendly. Probably a good choice. It sounds like you're in the UK, so I'd go ahead and rent it if I were you.

It's not anything really like Monster Hunter Tri at all.

KarmaCow

After reading all the stuff about the MMO style 'kill X rats' style quests, this sounds like a good podcast game. Can you turn off the in battle chatter?

For once there is nice weather outside, but all I want is play this game. And yes, thread title is horrible, great idea to actually warn the pirates! Doh.

Thoraxes

I spent like... 5-4 hours in the first zone just exploring and doing sidequests. I finally just got
Monado for Shulk and am doing spider thing now.

KarmaCow said:
After reading all the stuff about the MMO style 'kill X rats' style quests, this sounds like a good podcast game. Can you turn off the in battle chatter?
No, you can't.
And I would say distracting yourself with a podcast is not how this game is meant to be played at all. But that's, of course, your decision.

So about 2 hours in and I take it that
the face robot that kill her is the guy at the start that try to run away the give away was his weapons
ill be shocked if Iam wrong on this

As much as I'm enjoying the game I'm quite pissed off that after 5 years of the Wii they couldn't make a game that rivalled FFXII's graphics. Xenoblade is nowhere close, maybe budget makes a bigger difference than I though.

Ledsen

BigJiantRobut said:
So... what's the deal with this game, exactly? I've read a ton of hullaballoo, but being in the US I can't try the game out for myself. From the gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like a sort-of-ok-looking, jankily animated JRPG. Is there something I'm missing, or is the hype simply due to the Wii having a bit of a drought at the moment?

The hype is due to most people finding this to be one of the best games this generation. And you can play it, quite easily too.

zlatko

Banned
So what's the word Gaffers? Is this game worth all the hype around it, and the sadness of us from NA that we didn't get it?

Peff

jump_button said:
So about 2 hours in and I take it that
the face robot that kill her is the guy at the start that try to run away the give away was his weapons
ill be shocked if Iam wrong on this

If you thought that was obvious just wait, it gets worse.

zoukka

PumpkinPie said:
As much as I'm enjoying the game I'm quite pissed off that after 5 years of the Wii they couldn't make a game that rivalled FFXII's graphics. Xenoblade is nowhere close, maybe budget makes a bigger difference than I though.

Err, there are only a few dev studios in the world that could match what was accomplished with FFXII.

Luigiv

PumpkinPie said:
Huh? There are plenty of games on the Wii that shit all over FFXII's graphics. From a technical perspective Xenoblade slaughters FFXII too, even if individual character models are worse. The priorities in how to allocate resources were just different.

Top Bottom