• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

richisawesome said:
GUYS, GUYS

I have a dilemna. I have a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles put by for me at my work (£29.99). I can either wait until I get paid on wednesday, as I am broke right now, or I can trade in Ocarina of Time 3DS and Prison Break Season 3 Blu Ray to get it today.

What would you guys do?
Trade.

Spruchy

Why would you even need to bring that up anyway? "Hey guys just got done torrenting the game and ill be playing the shit out of it until my own copy arrives!" Seems like a pointless question, but yes it is still pirating.

chaostrophy said:
Mods,

Is it considered piracy to download the game if you have already paid for it and are just awaiting shipment?
1561612361c9a2f4ee88f606d40016a9.jpg

Speevy

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Mods,

Is it considered piracy to download the game if you have already paid for it and are just awaiting shipment?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but proponents of backups usually say "It's my game. I can do with it what I like."

Well in this case the copy isn't yours, you don't have a copy since it hasn't arrived yet, and you're supporting the actions of someone who is most likely distributing copies to a bunch of other people who probably don't own the game.

Phenomic

Speevy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but proponents of backups usually say "It's my game. I can do with it what I like."

Well in this case the copy isn't yours, you don't have a copy since it hasn't arrived yet, and you're supporting the actions of someone who is most likely distributing copies to a bunch of other people who probably don't own the game.

I can't say I agree with that statement, they've charged his credit card by the time they've shipped it costs him 57 dollars before he gets the item. At that point he's legally entitled for them to give me the product or some form of compensation if something happens with the product.

Now I'm not saying I agree with him downloading it at all because I wouldn't do the same, but they owe him something for charging his account. Just because he doesn't physically have it in his hands I still declare him an "owner" of a copy of Xenoblade.

Now that being said if it gets lost and they refund him obviously he is no longer an owner.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They owe him something? Who owes him what? The store is sending the game, what else do they owe him, if the shipment goes well? And when are you ever entitled to some form of compensation other than the shipped goods and until said goods arrive? What if you order something without a digital alternative, what are you owed and can acquire in any way you see fit until it actually arrives at your door? I'm just trying to see the logic there... It's one thing to say "he gets the green light to piracy as far as I'm concerned since he's bought the game and I don't care about semantics like whose rip it is, they're identical anyway" and another to start talking about what he's owed by someone...

Edit: changed the pizza to something else because you tend to pay for those after they arrive, not before, lol.

This thread is quickly unraveling.

So... uh... Question!

I'm not sure how the skill linking thing works; if a character links skills with another, do they get that skill all the time, or are there conditions (like during a chain attack) when those skills are unlocked?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Spruchy said:
Why would you even need to bring that up anyway? "Hey guys just got done torrenting the game and ill be playing the shit out of it until my own copy arrives!" Seems like a pointless question, but yes it is still pirating.

If this were actually tolorated here, all of a sudden it would be acceptable to spread instructions on how to pirate the game, and all you've got to say is "don't worry, my copy's on the way"?

It's pretty obviously got to be zero tolorance on that type of discussion.

Zafir

Back on the real topic at hand...

I'm getting sick of ! marks appearing on the map, but no matter what the time of day is, there's no quest giver there... There's one in the Refugee Camp, and it says there's a questgiver, slightly in the water. Yet no matter what time it is, there isn't anyone.

Phenomic

Alextended said:
They owe him something? Who owes him what? The store is sending the game, what else do they owe him, if the shipment goes well? And when are you ever entitled to some form of compensation other than the shipped goods and until said goods arrive? What if you order a pizza, what are you owed and can acquire in any way you see fit until the pizza actually arrives at your door? I'm just trying to see the logic there... It's one thing to say "he gets the green light to piracy as far as I'm concerned since he's bought the game and I don't care about semantics like whose rip it is, they're identical anyway" and another to start talking about what he's owed by someone or whatever...

I'm not saying he's allowed to pirate anything, I don't agree with that logic. My only point was he paid 57 bucks for this game or whatever, so if the game doesn't show up he's allowed to take action and get reimbursed for it.

They don't owe him anything else other than that. Just the product he ordered or some form of refund or something. They just can't keep his 57 bucks and give him nothing though...

Zafir said:

I'm getting sick of ! marks appearing on the map, but no matter what the time of day is, there's no quest giver there... There's one in the Refugee Camp, and it says there's a questgiver, slightly in the water. Yet no matter what time it is, there isn't anyone.

I thought the same thing, but I think it's just the monument symbol.

SecretMoblin said:
I'm not sure how the skill linking thing works; if a character links skills with another, do they get that skill all the time, or are there conditions (like during a chain attack) when those skills are unlocked?

I think it depends on what the text says. Like if you link to the ability to wear Medium armour, then that's going to be active all the time, but some state that they'll boost stats during a chain attack or at the start of a battle and so are only active at that point.

RPGCrazied said:
Question about quests. Does it have a tracker? Like to easily find where the quest is or where to begin it?

Yes. The Quest Menu tells you all of that stuff.

chaostrophy said:
Mods,

edit: I am not doing this or suggesting anything, just asking a question about what is acceptable here and what isn't.

There are shops that charge you before they ship?

Zafir said:

I noticed that the "landmark" icon looks a lot like the "questgiver" icon... they're both white and look like exclamation points, at least. My eyes are shot, so I'm not really sure.

Edit: CruxisMana's explanation makes sense.

Zafir

SecretMoblin said:
I noticed that the "landmark" icon looks a lot like the "questgiver" icon... they're both white and look like exclamation points, at least. My eyes are shot, so I'm not really sure.

Edit: CruxisMana's explanation makes sense.
It may be that, true. I'm sat so far away from the screen, they do look ridiculously similar. xD

RPGCrazied

snesfreak said:
I paid $90, and the wait for it to get here is killing me.

Join the bus. Not that I spent $90 on it, only $48, but I know how it feels on the wait. Day 6 here.

We should make a thread for people waiting to get their copy. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Mods,

edit: I am not doing this or suggesting anything, just asking a question about what is acceptable here and what isn't.

Promoting it on this site is a bad idea, because GAF does not want to attract that kind of attention to the site, so I'd keep that kind of thing to yourself if you do it. In my mind, however, it's a grey area. One negative aspect is that you're promoting/supporting piracy by either sharing peer-to-peer bandwidth, or giving ad revenue to the given site by browsing it. It's also a bit of a slippery slope, since you might consider just 'trying out' games in the future before buying them, which might lead to not buying said games if you were not satisfied.

Technically, you need to rip it yourself to be considered legal. It's against Nintendo's ToS regardless of whether or not you rip it yourself, but ripping it yourself is still considered Fair Use under law.

Diffense

RPGCrazied said:
Join the bus. Not that I spent $90 on it, only $48, but I know how it feels on the wait. Day 6 here.

We should make a thread for people waiting to get their copy. :p

I think my mail came already.
Not getting it this weekend unfortunately.

Zwei

RPGCrazied said:
Zavvi. The same place I bought it from. Zewi I think his name is, is from Texas, same as me. eLzhi, or something like that, don't recall their exact names and I don't know his location.

Yeah, I bought Tactics Ogre from Zavvi months ago. It took seven business days (I don't count weekends for whatever reason) to arrive in Texas. I was surprised it got here that fast, tbh.
Everyone in the US will most likely start seeing their packages coming in sometime next week. It's okay, relax.

Sadist

Story spoiler plus help needed:
I can't beat Xord. I'm trying to fill up the chain meter but no dice. Plus his three little helpers don't make things easier :/ Really hard.

Apenheul

Sadist said:
I can't beat Xord. I'm trying to fill up the chain meter but no dice. Plus his three little helpers don't make things easier :/ Really hard.

I just beat him 10 minutes ago with the help of two gaffers, he's actually pretty doable.
Focus on the little ones to build up the party gauge, once it's full do a chain-art attack with a break, then a topple and maybe a heal action (I upped Sharla's healing skills right before the battle). I think it's easier if you use the Monado-skill that allows normal weapons to damage the robotic enemies too.
Oh and one last hint:
You don't have to remove all of Xord's HP..

CoolS

12 hours in, went back to Colony 9 today because I had sme quests left unfinished. Suddenly it's two hours later, I have a dozen knew quests and realize I hadn't even explored everything.

Varion

Sadist said:
His little helpers pretty much only exist so that you can fill the meter up. Don't focus so much on trying to kill them as quickly as possible, because you can raise the party gauge by using Shulk's arts on them properly (Back Slash from behind, etc). You get more from doing those timed B button presses when they come up though, they give a little less than a third of the meter. As Apenheul said you don't have to knock off all his HP. Just use the enemies to increase it, healing wherever possible, then when you get the chance to use the party attack go for it. If you've got Monado ready to use a Monado Buster after that then all the better, as it'll do a fair amount of damage. I was fortunate enough to get an extra attack in the party attack so included it in that after knocking him down.

My Shulk still looks like shit.

:lol.

MechaX said:
I am pretty confused on how the actual geography of the Bionis actually works. Or even its sense of scale for that matter.

Yeah... Probably best not to dwell on it to long.

Zafir

BlazingDarkness said:
My Shulk <- he finally looks decent! Linking for those spoiler conscious

Also, dat view

IMG-20110820-WA0005.jpg
Hehe, that's the armour I'm currently using as well.

I FINALLY finished all the side quests in the Bionis' Leg. Took forever!

Aeana

At least your Reyn will look totally hot once you get the cool oil armor. Match it with the cool trunks and we're in business.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
At least your Reyn will look totally hot once you get the cool oil armor. Match it with the cool trunks and we're in business.
I have to really wonder, how far did you get Aeana? I was under the impression you dropped it pretty early. But from the sounds of it, you made some decent progress.

RPGCrazied

Small request. You guys posting screenshots of your game, can you use direct links? Some people like to discover and see what the costumes look like first hand, and many of us don't have the game yet. Small quibble, but whatever! :)

2San

kiryogi said:
I have to really wonder, how far did you get Aeana? I was under the impression you dropped it pretty early. But from the sounds of it, you made some decent progress.
Aeana dropped Xenoblade? What? why? If the resident JRPG lawd didn't finish it, what hope do we have?

Aeana

kiryogi said:
I got to the floating capital in the sea area, I believe.

2San said:
Aeana dropped Xenoblade? What? why? If the resident JRPG lawd didn't finish it, what hope do we have?
Because someone offered to pay me nearly what I paid for it and I was too busy to play it at the time anyway. I didn't drop it because I didn't like it or anything like that. Either way, we'll have that remedied when I get the European version soon.

Brannon

This OT is skirting the Bionis balls of spoilery danger. Should there be a spoiler thread?

There should be a spoiler thread.

I'll make the spoiler thread.

And I'll not be able to read it since I don't have the game until the middle of next week, so, uh... yeah.

2San

Aeana said:
Because someone offered to pay me nearly what I paid for it and I was too busy to play it at the time anyway. I didn't drop it because I didn't like it or anything like that. Either way, we'll have that remedied when I get the European version soon.
Oh ok, that makes perfect sense. Was getting scared there for a minute.

Top Bottom